Noah Herron looking good

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Channel 5 news the other night, Larry McCarren had a piece about Noah Herron, who has been impressive in practice lately. Mike McCarthy said that Herron could play either halfback or fullback. McCarthy said something about fullback being a little different in his offense than it has been on previous Packer teams. I think the difference he mentioned was that the fullback would not be expected to be the main blocker as often as before, although I forget exactly how he said it.

Interesting. This could be the end for Vonta Leach, who was a disappointment last year. Herron could also put the heat on Najeh Davenport in competing for a roster spot. I thought Herron looked pretty good carrying the ball when he got his chance at the end of last year. By that point, though, the team was such a mess that Herron's abilities went unnoticed by most fans.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Davenport could just stay healthy, it's not a close contest. Having said that, I agree with your take with Leach. It's time he step up his game a little bit and take over when WH decides to call it quits (hopefully after about 3-4 more seasons :))

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How valuable would Davenport be if he didn't return punts? Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed watching him mow over LB's and DB's, but that seems to last 1/2 the season. Herron seems like a good kid but by the end of the season teams weren't putting much stock in our run game and only had to double Driver to keep us in check.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
How valuable would Davenport be if he didn't return punts? Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed watching him mow over LB's and DB's, but that seems to last 1/2 the season. Herron seems like a good kid but by the end of the season teams weren't putting much stock in our run game and only had to double Driver to keep us in check.

Davenport is even more valuable to us because he can catch the ball out of the backfield. When he's on the field Davenport is a solid back and is a great 4th quarter back. He also signed a 2 year deal, so I think he's here to stay. I don't think Herron would see a roster spot before him. IMO he won't.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky is right, I for one think they both will stick but if one has to go it's Herron in a heartbeat

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
calicheesehead said:

Davenport is even more valuable to us because he can catch the ball out of the backfield. When he's on the field Davenport is a solid back and is a great 4th quarter back. He also signed a 2 year deal, so I think he's here to stay. I don't think Herron would see a roster spot before him. IMO he won't.

Are you sure he signed a two-year deal? I thought it was only a one year deal. I'm glad to hear this if it's true.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Mar. 30, 2006 - 9:59 am et

Najeh Davenport's contract with the Packers is for one year and the league minimum of $585,000.
It's amazing how little interest there was in Davenport. The Packers have both Davenport and Ahman Green on the roster for close to the minimum and could theoretically cut one during camp with virtually no cap hit.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
porky88 said:
calicheesehead said:

He has only caught 17 balls in 39 games..

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davenport is more talented than Herron, and he should stick as long as he stays healthy, but on the other hand, what has Davenport contributed to this team in the past few years? Has he really accomplished enough to justify a roster spot for another year? And any guy with a one-year, league-minimum contract is not a lock to make the team by any means. I hate to say it, because I like Davenport, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and he doesn't quite look like an every-down back.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Davenport is good but, not an every down player and is definitely injury prone. Therefore if Herron is the more healthy of the two my vote goes to Herron, besides he's younger and hopefully has more up side then Davenport. One thing! Is Herron as fast as Davenport? Think in MM's scheme the RB and FB are more interchangeable. H-m-m-m; a full house backfield?

IronBMike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why don't the Packers be creative and get this good squad of RBs into the game at the same time? Would be neat to see.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davenport is more talented and has more upside than Herron. He's also more proven. It's funny how a little article about Herron looking good in mini camp, get's people to think he could possibly be replaced by someone who has very little shot of seeing a roster spot than him. GB would let go of Leach and Herron before Davenport. Davenport also won't be out on the practice field until mid August and the Packers new this when they resigned him.

Davenport also has good hands. He did at Miami and he does in the NFL. He's never been used much as a receiver with Green, and now he's in an offense that could use him to catch the ball out of the backfield as a FB. You going to see at lot of different RB sets with Green, Gado, Daveport, and Henderson. Leach and Herron will fight for the last roster spot on the depth chart amoung the backs.

Members online

Latest posts