No running backs? Does history repeat itself?

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I am old enough to remember back in '67 when the Packers were pretty banged up. Although they did not lose 7 of their opening day starters, they did lose their starting backfield within 2 plays of each other early in the season. Elijah Pitts and Jim Grabowski were the starting backfield and when they got hurt,Lombardi scoured the waiver wire for replacements. That year it was pretty much "running back by committee" with Donnie Anderson, Travis Williams,and pick ups Chuck Mercein and Ben Wilson all contributing to the Packers second Super Bowl win. The thing I also see in common between then and now is the great Packer defense kept them in EVERY game.

Now it seems it is Nance, Starks, Kuhn, Jackson,and Johnson toting the rock.

Will history repeat itself with this "No name backfield"?

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess I am old enough to remember back in '67 when the Packers were pretty banged up. Although they did not lose 7 of their opening day starters, they did lose their starting backfield within 2 plays of each other early in the season. Elijah Pitts and Jim Grabowski were the starting backfield and when they got hurt,Lombardi scoured the waiver wire for replacements. That year it was pretty much "running back by committee" with Donnie Anderson, Travis Williams,and pick ups Chuck Mercein and Ben Wilson all contributing to the Packers second Super Bowl win. The thing I also see in common between then and now is the great Packer defense kept them in EVERY game.

Now it seems it is Nance, Starks, Kuhn, Jackson,and Johnson toting the rock.

Will history repeat itself with this "No name backfield"?
Boy, bringing back memories, Chuck Mercein in the Ice Bowl...crucial. Ellijah Pitts, I always liked him and I really liked him after he was traded/released and ended up with the Bears. He retired rather quickly because, as he explained it, hatred of the Bears was so ingrained in him, he just couldn't play for them. Retired at end of 1969, didn't go to Bears, had about 30 carries with rams and Saints in 1970, and resigned with Green Bay in 1971. Never even got to touch the ball.