NFL preseason ticket policy

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I vote for opening them to the public at $10 per game (about what they're worth). Or offer preseason game tickets to those on the waiting list, first come first served. Forcing fans to pay full price for practices is robbery.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
First, it's not a NFL policy. Prices are set by the teams. So if you have a complaint, direct it to the Packers organization.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Packers' perspective, they nearly fill the stadium in the preseason with regular season prices so they have no incentive to lower them.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Prices for anything NFL related have gone insane in a relatively short period of time. An authentic replica jersey...are you kidding me....$ 99.00 - $299.95 depending one what style or who the jersey is numbered after. That **** is highway robbery. I know damn well that Nike has some poor kid in an overseas factory making .10 cents per hour to sew jerseys. It most likely costs less than $7 bucks to make a damn Jersey..... matierials in bulk, ultra low labor ..... yeah, they are ****** people.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Packers' perspective, they nearly fill the stadium in the preseason with regular season prices so they have no incentive to lower them.
Correct. Season ticket holders are required to pay full price for preseason games as a part of season ticket packages. Lambeau has been sold out since the 60s. Check out StubHub--you can buy tickets for $38 for the Oakland game; $18.80 for the Kansas City game. All tickets available are offered by season ticket holders that paid a minimum of $77. If you sell your tix through the Packers, they keep 10% of the selling price--so they have nothing to lose whether or not they sell. Selling through the Packers makes sense because the season ticket holder is not held responsible if an idiot who buys them runs on the field. You would lose your tickets if you sold them through a 3rd party.

Every NFL team requires season ticket holders to purchase preseason games at regular season prices. So, it is interesting that something that is "not NFL policy" as someone states is practiced by every team in the league.
BTW, it is my understanding that players are paid the same per diem for preseason games that they are paid during training camp. The salaries kick in during the regular and post-seasons. So you can see why starters are not interested in risking their health by playing in them. Robbery, pure and simple.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s rare that a highway robber, “regular” robber, or ****** (a bit of hyperbole, don’t ya think?) gives notice to their victims only to have the “victims” consent to their victimization by ponying up cash. :D

As for season ticket holders, if the value they pay for all the games minus whatever price they can get for their preseason games divided by the regular season games doesn’t seem like a good per game value to them, they should give up their tickets. For those of us without season tickets the calculation is easy: Is the total cost of attending any particular game worth it?

I’ve been to a lot of games over my lifetime but I’m old and completely spoiled by HDTV. (Ben Franklin’s quote about beer being proof God loves us was apparently about wine instead, but if Ben had seen HDTV…)

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread needs economics 101: The laws of supply and demand.
Laws of supply and demand do not apply to monopolies. In fact, they destroy those laws. And I believe Mark Cuban is correct when he said "I believe the nfl is 10 years away from an implosion"..."I'm telling you when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule number 1 of business." I'm as big a fan of football as anyone on this forum, and it bothers me to see the game being ruined by the greed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm as big a fan of football as anyone on this forum, and it bothers me to see the game being ruined by the greed.
How do you see it being currently ruined by greed? And if it implodes the cost of tickets and merchandise will plummet, won't they?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
How do you see it being currently ruined by greed? And if it implodes the cost of tickets and merchandise will plummet, won't they?

Yes they will plummet, as will the game itself. It would be the NFL version of the stock market crash. These guys that are used to getting paid multiple millions per season will just sit at home rather than playing for much much less. A union hold out so to speak. I can see it happening, maybe not real soon, but in the forseeable future. Business probabilities have stated that this could happen because the NFL as a whole is growing at a record pace and once it finally hits the ceiling....the roof comes crashing down.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good questions, Jack. The NFL is a monopoly, no. 1. Monopolies are not good for free trade, and not good for competition--on or off the field.

The games are reaching the point of being unwatchable with the commercial breaks, even with HDTV. I haven't seen one on 3D, but it would be ruined as well with endless clever commercial interruptions. On a frigid December or January game day in Green Bay, it is miserable sitting through all the timeouts--even worse than sitting through them in your video room.

I don't like watching soccer, but it was refreshing to see entire games during the World Cup uninterrupted by sales pitches. Of course, with a DVR you can do the same after the completion of a game, assuming the game hasn't been blacked out in your community--another side to the monopoly.

Fleecing taxpayers for new stadiums is irritating to many people, and many fans. Irritating people is not a good way to grow a business.

I always wanted a Hornung throwback jersey, but wasn't interested in paying $250 for one in the Packers Pro Shop. So I bought one online for $25 that looks just fine, and could actually be the same one in the Pro Shop. The seller, if caught, will be prosecuted by the NFL. You can't let free trade interfere with the monopoly. Even if you're an owner.

The problem with greed is that there is no end to it; enough is never enough.

Actually, you're right about the implosion resetting things. But wouldn't it be simpler to change things in an orderly manner? A start would be to revoke the NFL's exemption to the antitrust laws.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course nothing lasts forever so I am certainly not saying the NFL will continue being more and more popular and more and more lucrative for the league. But I don’t think it’s being ruined by greed.

JBlood (or should I call you "Johnny"? ;)), IMO if you get your wish about revoking the NFL’s exemption to antitrust laws that would accelerate the demise of the NFL more quickly than anything else I can think of. BTW, the SCOTUS in the American Needle case found the league to be a cartel – 32 organizations working in concert with one another as opposed to being a monopoly. Either way the league has the exemption but I think that’s an important distinction regarding on-the-field competitiveness. Without the exemption there would be no draft, no salary cap, no FA restrictions and I don’t know how they’d justify revenue sharing. That the 32 teams collude (with the agreement of the NFLPA) regarding these things makes the league much more competitive, not less. Without it I think very quickly a very few very rich teams would dominate the league by accumulating most of the best talent. (Seattle's owner could buy half - or more - of what would have been the first round, couldn't he?)

As for free markets, IMO trademark (and patent) laws are an essential restraint. Why should any clothing manufacturer be able to benefit from the NFL trademark without compensating the league? And you seem to have solved your jersey problem. If the seller is caught, no doubt another will spring up. I don’t know since I haven’t seen their books, but I would guess there’s a good reason why the Packers Pro Shop charges what they do for the merchandise they offer for sale. If dust accumulates on any of it, my guess is the price will come down. Either way we're free to buy what we see as fair value or not buy what we see as too expensive.

Taxpayers who believe they’ve been fleeced have their solution at hand but it seems seldom a politician suffers for supporting a stadium. And one doesn’t have to be a fan of a particular team or league to realize its economic benefit to the area. If the benefit isn’t apparent, then each taxpayer has the right to oppose it and encourage others to do so.

I don’t mind commercials during games but if I did, I’d start watching the game via DVR about 1 ½ to 2 hours after it began and fast forward through them. I choose to subscribe to cable TV and a DVR service but because of where I live, Packers games would be available to me for free, save having to watch the commercials. That’s a small price IMO since I don’t believe I’m entitled to view them free of cost or “inconvenience”. As far as blackouts, isn’t NFL ticket available to nearly everyone in the US? If I move to another state, I’ll gladly pay for NFL games.

Oshkoshpackfan, I believe the current CBA runs through 2021 so we’ll see labor peace until then. And IMO once the NFL reaches its peak, it will gradually lose popularity and become less profitable. I’m not sure why you predict a crash.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
BTW, here’s a link to why Cuban believes what he does. He has five reasons, I’ve just copied the first sentence of each:
So why do I think the NFL will implode in 10 years?
1. I wouldn’t want my son playing football, would you?
2. Player Behavior.
3. Their TV strategy today is perfect.
4. Fantasy Football.
5. The risk of TV changing.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/mark-cuban-nfl-implosion-facebook

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just a way to increase ticket prices without charging outrageous prices for regular season games. I doubt you want dynamic pricing as a packers season ticket holder. You are getting a good deal compared to market rates even with the preseason ripoff.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we agree: Change will come either through democratic methods-and quickly; or there will be a complete collapse (not just involving the NFL). 2008 was just a warning shot. I think I'll have a martini.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So we agree: Change will come either through democratic methods-and quickly; or there will be a complete collapse (not just involving the NFL). 2008 was just a warning shot. I think I'll have a martini.
If we're just talking about the NFL, if they keep the labor peace in 2021 - 2022, I don't see a complete collapse, just a gradual decline. If we're talking about the US and global economies if a complete collapse happens, entertainment, including sports, will be among the least of our problems.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're just talking about the NFL, if they keep the labor peace in 2021 - 2022, I don't see a complete collapse, just a gradual decline. If we're talking about the US and global economies if a complete collapse happens, entertainment, including sports, will be among the least of our problems.
Hence, the martini.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts