NFL Network All-Time Top 100...or Not

H

HardRightEdge

I'm sure some of you guys watched these NFL Network broadcasts. I'm a little disappointed. Gregg was the only Lombardi-era player named to the team. I think Willie Davis in particular was an oversight. Others might be more disappointed in Taylor, Nitschke, Adderley or Wood being passed over.

Packers named: Lambeau, Hubbard, Hutson, Lombardi, Gregg, Favre and White.

There are a few other guys making the list who played for the Packers but are associated more with other teams: Tunnell, Stenerud and Hendricks.

On the subject of Hendricks, while he was a great player who happened to have one of his best seasons in his one year with the Packers, I'd have a hard time picking him over Nitschke in the LB group. Frankly, Dave Robinson was at least his equal and a player who, along with Bobby Bell (who was justifyably named), redefined the OLB position with length, speed and athleticism before the Mad Stork ever came along.

I think all the great Lombardi era players split the vote. Gregg probably got enough votes based on Lombardi's comment that he was the best player he ever coached. On the other hand, first hand reports say Davis was the one player Lombardi steered clear of and didn't try to coach. Davis was a bad man in and of himself. I'm sure others will disagree, but I give Davis points for sticking his neck out in standing, literally and figuratively, with the collection of black superstars backing Ali's conscientious objection to the Vietnam draft. Given the nature of things, that might have lost him some votes.

Rodger Staubach was a surprise. "America's Team" got some ballot stuffing. I can think of six names off the top of my head that I'd have picked before Staubach: Luckman, Starr, Young, Kelly, Brees and Rodgers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees was an obvious idiotic miss. Far more than AR.
Honestly I was fine with him being excluded. Yes Brees has the records and whatnot, but when you factor that he's in a pass happy league, along with how many times he throws the ball in comparison, and the offense he's in with Payton, he SHOULD have those records.

The thing with Brees is that while he is an exceptional QB, throughout his time he was never considered the best of his time. It was always Manning and Brady, then Rodgers as all 3 of them have multiple league MVPs and at least have a SB title. From a history standpoint you can't tell the NFL without Brady and Manning.

Rodgers I get, give him another SB ring and he'll be arguably top 5, so he's not there YET.

With Favre I'm a bit indifferent on because if there was any Packers QB that should've been in, it's Bart Starr. In my estimation you can't tell NFL history without Starr. That man is way too important from a history standpoint.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Brees has the records and whatnot, but when you factor that he's in a pass happy league, along with how many times he throws the ball in comparison, and the offense he's in with Payton, he SHOULD have those records.
Not to mention he plays in a nice cozy dome.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I was fine with him being excluded. Yes Brees has the records and whatnot, but when you factor that he's in a pass happy league, along with how many times he throws the ball in comparison, and the offense he's in with Payton, he SHOULD have those records.

The thing with Brees is that while he is an exceptional QB, throughout his time he was never considered the best of his time. It was always Manning and Brady, then Rodgers as all 3 of them have multiple league MVPs and at least have a SB title. From a history standpoint you can't tell the NFL without Brady and Manning.

I see it as it's unfortunate for Brees to be playing at same time as two other all time GOATs. Had he been in any other era he'd be the best of the time.

And pass heavy league isn't Brees fault. You have to judge them by current standards....but then I still think irrespective of style he's still a top QB to shine in most systems.

He's done enough and more than some others on list to earn a place.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees should get the nod over Staubach...Bradshaw should get the nod over Unitas...

Emmitt number one? no chance. Jim Brown, Barry, Payton, Rick****,

Reggie shouldve been the number one DL.

The end purturbed me as I really dont like Belichek or Brady with their boring commentaries. And Collinsworth needed to not b there either with his half-cocked comments.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bradshaw should get the nod over Unitas...
I...don't know about that. Bradshaw was the first QB to win 4 SB titles but he wasn't the driving force, that steel curtain defense was. I can't put him ahead of Johnny U.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you've got a valid point here as Brees (5.38%) is only sixth in touchdown percentage since entering the league in 2000. In case you wonder Rodgers (6.00%) is ranked second in that category behind Russell Wilson (6.01%).

In addition Brees is 11th over that period in yards per attempt, once again behind Rodgers (8th).

Members online

Latest posts