new article! Must read!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rats leaving the ship, the 2005 Packers fans

By Tromadz

The season is over. Get to stubhub.com fast and sell your season tickets. It is done for. Go put on your Bucks jersey, and get ready for basketball season. There is no reason to watch football season this year. The Green Bay Packers are done.

The saddest part about it is that some people actually feel this way. After a blowout loss to the world champion New England Patriots, people are already packing away their cheeseheads. People have lost all hope, and they feel it is justified. The Packers lost 27-3! Brett Favre threw 2 interceptions! Ahman Green fumbled! None of this is new, but the fan meltdown is, and it is quite annoying.

The preseason means nothing to these people, unless things are going bad. Did these people say anything the past two weeks when the starting Green Bay offense was clicking on all cylinders the previous two weeks? No. That was expected. Did they grumble when the new Jim Bates defense did ok the previous two weeks, even though they had to defend their own part of the field the most of the time? A little. A lot of people were skeptical on the new defense. People fear change, yet they cry for it. None of that matters though, because the season is lost. The starting offense didn't look good. Favre had a bad day, and that is unacceptable to people. Ahman fumbled, and that spells disaster. Apparently these people don't know that Ahman has always been known as a "fumbler" and that Favre does occasionally have a bad day. Don't tell them that though. They simply won't listen to you. Telling them Favre was 1316, with 2 touchdowns before this game won't be enough to block the stupidity. The Packers are 1-2 in the preseason, and that's enough to abandon ship.

Beware of these fans. They ignore logic and reason, and talking to them is like drinking beer. It kills brain cells. It has been well documented that Ahman Green fumbles, and he fumbles early on. That is one of the reasons he is getting a lot of rare action this preseason. Coaches want him to get the early season jitters "out of his system." But don't tell these fans that. They would rather Ahman see no action in preseason, and have Ahman struggle in regular season. Makes sense, right? Sure. Just not on Earth. I understand some people have the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, and will judge a quarterback by that. Brett Favre played godly the previous two weeks, but one bad day against the world champion defense, well..you get the point.

I haven't even started on the offensive line, aka the revolving door. Every snap people see in preseason, they believe THAT is the team they will see. THAT is the starting lineup. THAT is the line that will protect Brett Favre. I have tried to explain that the coaches are continuously plugging people in different spots on the offensive line to see what is the best. They don't listen. I tell them Wells played a lot last year, and he did well! Thankfully, he could be a starter this year. This is a good thing, just not to them. The offensive line that starts on September 11th will no doubtedly be the best line the Packers can muster together. We might not have even seen that combo yet, but go ahead and judge. Go ahead and quit. Sell your tickets, while the stock is somewhat high!

The same thing goes for the defensive line. Right now, the two starting defensive tackles (Hunt and Jackson) have not seen one preseason snap due to injury. Right now the Packers are throwing backups in. Colin Cole started at DT. Do you know who he is? If you said "yes," you just lied. It doesn't matter. The point is he won't be starting. Jackson is on the mend and should play the last preseason game in Nashville. Hunt is coming together and should be playing in a game that actually matters, September 11th against Detroit. The Packers pass rush up front is impressive. KGB had a couple sacks. Jenkins and Kampman got some push. Those names by the way are the guys who will see the most time at the defensive end positions. Our run stoppers are currently not playing yet, but don't tell the idiots that. They're too busy selling their cheesehead on Ebay.

The only other 'real' concern are the defensive backs. Al Harris is the only NFL DB they have. Carroll has done nothing except occasionally make a tackle, and then talk trash. That got annoying real quick. All reports from camp are that if Joey Thomas can stay healthy, it is his job. I don't think I heard about Thomas forced to practice with boxing gloves on.

So go sell your tickets. Forget Bubba Franks signed and has yet to play. Forget Brett's 1316, 2 touchdown performance till Friday. Forget that they have been playing musical chairs at the offensive line. Forget the fact that is has been documented that Ahman fumbles early. Forget the two big injuries to the starting defensive tackles. However, in two weeks, most of you will have forgotten the preseason, like you pretty much should. I will, however, never forget the stupidity I have seen by so many Packers fans this week.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
new article! Must read!

You don't understand do you?
It is not the won-lose record or even the scores of the games that have Packer fans concerned. Those things do not matter. It is the glaring issues of having a horrible defense, an over all lack of depth in every area, a questionable coaching staff and the in your face reality of Favre not being at the top of his game any longer. This happens to every team eventually and it just happens to be the Packers time. You know, this is neither the first nor the last time that this has happened to the Green Bay Packers. Ask the fans in Chicago, San Francisco, New York, Washington, Dallas, Oakland, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, San Diego or any other city that has had the same thing happen to their teams not once but many times over the years.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ill make this quick. lack of depth in every area? 2 words. wide reciever. besides other things you said being incorrect, that was the easiest. I'm done, and so are you.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
ill make this quick. lack of depth in every area? 2 words. wide reciever. besides other things you said being incorrect, that was the easiest. I'm done, and so are you.

Ok champ. Just curious....how long have you been watching the Packers?
Don't lie, just tell me how long you have been truly following the Green Bay Packers.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
excellent article tromadz...you said a lot of the same things i was thinking yesterday. as well as my sentiment last year after the 1-4 start. the message boards were filled with "fans" packing it in. while a 1-4 start is cause for alarm, its no reason to jump ship...i ride this bus till the wheels fall off.

and Phil it seems like you want to see something thats simply not there. getting your *** handed to you in a preseason game sure as hell isn't comforting, but calling the season a failure before the first game of a 16 game season is played is ignorant as hell...on the basis of getting your *** kicked in a preseason game no less. do you seriously think we'll be playing like that all year? thats not gonna happen. we'll have some grade A games along with some C's, D's, and F's. kinda like every team in the league.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now Phil is trying to make the most of the pre-season blunders of the Pack. That's OK, in fact, it's expected from Bears fans. I like to see them struggle just as much. The fact is that the Packers will have it turned around in time to more than likely beat the Bears not only once, but twice during the season and probably split the other games in the division. GB is headed for a playoff berth whether Phil or anybody else wants to admit it. This preseason is an "audition" and nothing more for several players. Once the starters are declared and jobs are won, you will see a MUCH improved football team. Keep the faith Packer fans...

And Phil, you seem like a good guy and I love the he!! out of your posts, don't get me wrong. I just think being a Bears fan, you have to take off the Black and Orange glasses once in a while.

Oh, and P.S. Halas couldn't hold Lombardi's jockstrap in the realm of coaching! :lol: (I had to throw that in there! haha)

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

I have watched the Packers since the pre-Favre days.

In addition, I have heard the Pack's demise being predicted exactly like this for the last 3 preseasons. It's funny how they still managed to take the NFC North title and make the playoffs the last 3 years.

BTW: I can see why you are so optimistic. After the 5-11 season Chicago had last year, the 7-9 season in 2003 and the (ouch) 4-12 season in 2002, it really would be hard to do any worse. :lol:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a Packers fan since around 94 (when i was 10). I dont know where you're going with this...

But some people have me all wrong. Losing is NEVER acceptable, but you have to understand the circumstances.

preseason..1-2...96 champ team had a bad preseason too...but nobody wants to think about that.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
preseason..1-2...96 champ team had a bad preseason too...but nobody wants to think about that.

The Patriots went 1-3 in preseason last year and still managed to come home with the Lombardi. Can someone please explain to me the signifigance of preseason wins and losses in regards to regular season, playoffs or Super Bowl success? Be sure to use New England's record from last year as an example of how this works. :roll:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The comparison with the 1996 Packers ends with the preseason record. The 2005 Packers are not even close to having the level of talent the 96 squad had. The only thing that could beat the 96 Packers was themselves. The 2005 Packers are going to have to scrape and claw for every win they get and they are going to need a lot of luck both on the field and with regard to injuries. The reason I'm NOT going to bail on the Packers?.............I have faith they can get it done!

BRING ON THE LIONS!!!!!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see about half of you figured out that Tromadz was pulling everyone's leg (sorta) with his Sports Writer commentary approach.... Good write-up at that, too! So, now... who wants to drink that kool-aid?

Certainly, he's made quite a few good points - especially about SOME Fans......
So, with regard to a thread we all went thru just a while back...

Playoff wins & losses sometimes do tell the tale about a Team's chances for getting to the SuperBowl....
But, all it really takes is for one of two things to happen...

• 1. Injuries decimate what was considered a Contender
    2. A Team (Colts - ?) shoots itself in the foot at just the right time....
Again - how many losses did we incur during the 1996 Pre-season? How about the 1997 Pre-season?
Does it really matter considering the two instances I have listed above?

The bandwagon fans really will pack 'em up... The Acolytes won't!

Just remember that.....

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Phil it seems like you want to see something thats simply not there. getting your *** handed to you in a preseason game sure as hell isn't comforting, but calling the season a failure before the first game of a 16 game season is played is ignorant as hell...on the basis of getting your *** kicked in a preseason game no less. do you seriously think we'll be playing like that all year? thats not gonna happen. we'll have some grade A games along with some C's, D's, and F's. kinda like every team in the league.

I made the statement before the pre-season started. They are not going to be a very good team and were lucky that the fall off did not happen last year. There sure were glimpses of it though. Right?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
I made the statement before the pre-season started. They are not going to be a very good team and were lucky that the fall off did not happen last year. There sure were glimpses of it though. Right?

ehh, i think we'll be fine.

you don't.

my point was friday's performance is far from confirmation. i guess we'll just have to wait until they start playing to see whos right...ya dig?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Right now Phil is trying to make the most of the pre-season blunders of the Pack. That's OK, in fact, it's expected from Bears fans. I like to see them struggle just as much. The fact is that the Packers will have it turned around in time to more than likely beat the Bears not only once, but twice during the season and probably split the other games in the division. GB is headed for a playoff berth whether Phil or anybody else wants to admit it. This preseason is an "audition" and nothing more for several players. Once the starters are declared and jobs are won, you will see a MUCH improved football team. Keep the faith Packer fans...

And Phil, you seem like a good guy and I love the he!! out of your posts, don't get me wrong. I just think being a Bears fan, you have to take off the Black and Orange glasses once in a while.

Oh, and P.S. Halas couldn't hold Lombardi's jockstrap in the realm of coaching! :lol: (I had to throw that in there! haha)
Not so. I am just giving my opinion and that opinion is that the Packers are on their way down. There is no shame in this and they had a hell of a run. If they make the playoffs again then I will tip my hat to them because they earned it. They have kicked the Bears *** for the last ten years and I know it. When the Bears suck I say so and last year they sucked. The worst offense that I have ever seen. I think that they have righted a lot of issues and are going in the right direction. The defense is young and playoff caliber right now. I am brutal on the Bears but have stayed loyal since the 60s. I doubt that they will make the playoffs but will be better than 5-11. If they get their passing offense together then they are going to beat a lot of teams.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Arizona Cardinals are 3-0 so far this season. I won't be jumping on their bandwagon anytime soon. I'll be on the Packer bandwagon even if I have to get out and push it with Hunt's fat butt weighing it down. :p

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Philtration said:

I have watched the Packers since the pre-Favre days.

In addition, I have heard the Pack's demise being predicted exactly like this for the last 3 preseasons. It's funny how they still managed to take the NFC North title and make the playoffs the last 3 years.

BTW: I can see why you are so optimistic. After the 5-11 season Chicago had last year, the 7-9 season in 2003 and the (ouch) 4-12 season in 2002, it really would be hard to do any worse. :lol:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley
Then you have seen the lean years as well and should know that nothing lasts forever.
Oh you are right about not getting any worse than last year. They won 5 games with no offense at all and that is a testament to their defense. If you can win 5 games with no offense then how many can you win with a good running attack and even a mediocre passing game? The Baltimore Ravens won a Super bowl with that formula. They will not go 5-11 this year.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how are these the lean years? cuz we have an in shape hall of fame Qb, with a pro bowl Rb, and a solid offensive line(solid..not good).?

Or is it the young defense with arguably the best defensive coordinator in the league?

Damn the lean years...DAMN THEM! .....KHAAAN!!!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
how are these the lean years? cuz we have an in shape hall of fame Qb, with a pro bowl Rb, and a solid offensive line(solid..not good).?

Or is it the young defense with arguably the best defensive coordinator in the league?

Damn the lean years...DAMN THEM! .....KHAAAN!!!

I said you were familiar with the lean years meaning 1970 to about 1992.
Favre deciding to take care of himself at the end of his career is the secret weapon? He still throws picks at really bad spots and time on the tread mill won

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not really. you live by the favre, you die by the favre. He can win you a super bowl, or he can throw 4 picks in a playoff game. he has done both. One thing it seems he always does is get us in position for a playoff run. Getting to the playoffs is half the battle. Sure he throws passes 99% of QBs wont..because they cant...sometimes favre pays the price. Hopefully he wont have to play god this year. Hopefully that jim bates defense can do some good things. They should at least be better than last years bend but then break defense.

Members online

Latest posts