1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

N.C. State DE Williams feels he’ll be Packers’ pick

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by arrowgargantuan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    N.C. State DE Williams feels he’ll be Packers’ pick

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
    PackersNews.com

INDIANAPOLIS — When North Carolina State’s Mario Williams begins his NFL career, he expects it to be with the Green Bay Packers.

It makes sense. The Packers desperately need defensive help, and the 6-foot-7, 295-pound defensive end is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the draft.

“I’ve thought a lot about playing there,â€

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    All i really know about him is what i saw on the news. Looks like he has possibilitys. We sure could use a powerful guy like him. I wonder if he will still be there at #5.

3. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    WEll you have to figure that leinhart,bush,young will all be gone at the first 3 picks now number 4 isnt so sure however if the jets feel they need to go in a diffrent direction from pennington then they should select jay cutler SO the possibility is very good

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I sure wish i KNEW if these guys would end up being any good! You just don't know till they play in the pros.
    Favre ends up being one of the all time best, and he wasn't a first rounder i believe. I wonder how many GM's have been kicking themselves for passing him by?

5. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not completly sold on Williams. I'd much rather have the so called "safe pick" Hawk. Williams is different from Reynolds, no doubt. But what raises my concern is that when you look at the first half of the college football season, Williams was no where to be seen. He burst out during the second half, but I wonder why he was struggling so badly in the first half. That doesn't convince me that he will be an all-pro. Hawk is the type of player that can be compared with Lewis and Urlacher down the road. I'd much rather have that. But that is just my two cents, and I'll leave it to TT to make the correct call.

6. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Same here Cheesy. Could you imagine, we could have a super freakin team! :D But alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Me personally, I blame Ryan. :p I mean honestly this computer wiz can build a Packers forum, but not a time machine? :soapbox: :lol:

7. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Young will not be a top 10 pick.

8. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Vince?

What world are you living in?

9. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Ah... I tell ya... I will have to look into this for you guys ;)

10. Schmitty

Schmitty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to see Super Mario in Green and Gold. He is gonna be a great pro player.

11. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    calliforniacheez are you high or something of course he will be hes going to be a top 3 pick guarnteed

12. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a Mario thread. Mario may not be on the board at #5.

Vince Young scored a 6, yes a single digit 6 on his Wonderlic score. Can he run an NFL offense?? Who would trust a 6? Torrence Marshall at least scored an 8.

CBS website has dropped him to being the 6th best QB in the draft.
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/prospects

I doubt Young will be drafted ahead of Mario Williams. Williams may be gone before the Packers draft.

13. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont care he will be a top 5 pick

14. paxvogel

paxvogel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is very liikely someone will trade out of the first five picks and I would not be surprised if it was us although I hope not. If Young is not top five pick we will get Ferguson, Hawk or Mario.

15. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ferguson nooooooooooo remember what happened last time we took an offensive lineman high in the draft TONY MANDRICH voted the 2nd biggest bust in NFL history

16. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I like williams attitude!

17. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Rumours have it Vince Young scored a 6 on the wonderlic test, which means he probably won't be able to learn a playbook, and the whole offense would have to be redesigned after him. If this is true, there is a chance he might not be a top 10 draft pick.

18. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Why the assumption this guy is going to be a great pro player? There are so many factors in being a successful player that no one knows until game day if this person can do the job.

He excelled in COLLEGE. College is an inferior game to the PROS from the standpoint of ability and execution. Maybe not in fan appeal, but in ability. That is why it's COLLEGE and not PROS. When he has to execute against NFL-level tackles, we'll see if he's "Super Mario".

Samkon Gado was undrafted by 32 teams. He might start for Green Bay next fall.

The draft is a crapshoot. Jamal Reynolds was considered the best DE coming out of college that year. Even after he busted in Green Bay, no one else was interested either.

The draft is a bunch of hype. I think a teams accuracy rate with drafted players would be nearly the same if they wore blindfolds and threw darts at names on the wall.

19. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh it kind of is But I am scared we will draft ferguson and he will be another tony mandrich

20. DakotaT

DakotaT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    D/Brick will not make it to our pick. I have read some rumblings that Houston may be thinking about trading the first pick. What I envision is something like this going down. Houston picks Bush, NO picks Cutler, Tennesse picks Leinert. Then Houston trades Bush to the Jets for D'Brick and whatever fleecing they can get. GB is still sitting pretty.

As far as Vince Young goes, can anyone say slot receiver. He sure is a good athlete, but if the guy handling the ball 80 % of the time and responsible for reading defenses, knowing the playbook, audibling, and running the offense can only handle a 6 on the wonderlic; I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. Just what kind of classes is he taking there at the University of Texas to remain eligible.

21. Chamuko

Chamuko Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We MUST get young as it will help us to keep the worst overall wonderlic of the league !!!!

Je,je,je.

Seriously Hawk.... the next Nitshcke kind of player for the pack..

22. DakotaT

DakotaT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually his score has been updated to 16, but that is still poor for a quarterback.

23. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    We will have a better idea after FA. I originally thought it would be Hawk but with the number of LB's available and some at fairly reasonable money it may be we go to FA for LB and then take Williams #5.
    This would make sense as it's already been acknowledged we can expect to see some new faces at LB and Williams would upgrade both the run and pass defense.
    I would not be surprised to see us active in FA regarding LB and "O" line and get Williams, a saftety, and, a running back, in the draft. We draft #5 and #37 and both those guys should be players that can step in now and upgrade positions where we need help.
    I think it will be Williams for sure if we don't resign Kamp. If we do resign Kamp but do not pick up a LB or two in FA it will probably be Hawk.