N.C. State DE Williams feels he’ll be Packers’ pick

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
N.C. State DE Williams feels he’ll be Packers’ pick

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com

INDIANAPOLIS — When North Carolina State’s Mario Williams begins his NFL career, he expects it to be with the Green Bay Packers.

It makes sense. The Packers desperately need defensive help, and the 6-foot-7, 295-pound defensive end is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the draft.

“I’ve thought a lot about playing there,â€

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All i really know about him is what i saw on the news. Looks like he has possibilitys. We sure could use a powerful guy like him. I wonder if he will still be there at #5.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WEll you have to figure that leinhart,bush,young will all be gone at the first 3 picks now number 4 isnt so sure however if the jets feel they need to go in a diffrent direction from pennington then they should select jay cutler SO the possibility is very good

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure wish i KNEW if these guys would end up being any good! You just don't know till they play in the pros.
Favre ends up being one of the all time best, and he wasn't a first rounder i believe. I wonder how many GM's have been kicking themselves for passing him by?

Reaction score
I'm not completly sold on Williams. I'd much rather have the so called "safe pick" Hawk. Williams is different from Reynolds, no doubt. But what raises my concern is that when you look at the first half of the college football season, Williams was no where to be seen. He burst out during the second half, but I wonder why he was struggling so badly in the first half. That doesn't convince me that he will be an all-pro. Hawk is the type of player that can be compared with Lewis and Urlacher down the road. I'd much rather have that. But that is just my two cents, and I'll leave it to TT to make the correct call.

Reaction score
cheesey said:
I sure wish i KNEW if these guys would end up being any good!

Same here Cheesy. Could you imagine, we could have a super freakin team! :D But alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Me personally, I blame Ryan. :p I mean honestly this computer wiz can build a Packers forum, but not a time machine? :soapbox: :lol:

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
cheesey said:
I sure wish i KNEW if these guys would end up being any good!

Same here Cheesy. Could you imagine, we could have a super freakin team! :D But alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Me personally, I blame Ryan. :p I mean honestly this computer wiz can build a Packers forum, but not a time machine? :soapbox: :lol:

Ah... I tell ya... I will have to look into this for you guys ;)

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a Mario thread. Mario may not be on the board at #5.

Vince Young scored a 6, yes a single digit 6 on his Wonderlic score. Can he run an NFL offense?? Who would trust a 6? Torrence Marshall at least scored an 8.

CBS website has dropped him to being the 6th best QB in the draft.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/prospects

I doubt Young will be drafted ahead of Mario Williams. Williams may be gone before the Packers draft.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is very liikely someone will trade out of the first five picks and I would not be surprised if it was us although I hope not. If Young is not top five pick we will get Ferguson, Hawk or Mario.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson nooooooooooo remember what happened last time we took an offensive lineman high in the draft TONY MANDRICH voted the 2nd biggest bust in NFL history

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumours have it Vince Young scored a 6 on the wonderlic test, which means he probably won't be able to learn a playbook, and the whole offense would have to be redesigned after him. If this is true, there is a chance he might not be a top 10 draft pick.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the assumption this guy is going to be a great pro player? There are so many factors in being a successful player that no one knows until game day if this person can do the job.

He excelled in COLLEGE. College is an inferior game to the PROS from the standpoint of ability and execution. Maybe not in fan appeal, but in ability. That is why it's COLLEGE and not PROS. When he has to execute against NFL-level tackles, we'll see if he's "Super Mario".

Samkon Gado was undrafted by 32 teams. He might start for Green Bay next fall.

The draft is a crapshoot. Jamal Reynolds was considered the best DE coming out of college that year. Even after he busted in Green Bay, no one else was interested either.

The draft is a bunch of hype. I think a teams accuracy rate with drafted players would be nearly the same if they wore blindfolds and threw darts at names on the wall.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
Yeh it kind of is But I am scared we will draft ferguson and he will be another tony mandrich
D/Brick will not make it to our pick. I have read some rumblings that Houston may be thinking about trading the first pick. What I envision is something like this going down. Houston picks Bush, NO picks Cutler, Tennesse picks Leinert. Then Houston trades Bush to the Jets for D'Brick and whatever fleecing they can get. GB is still sitting pretty.

As far as Vince Young goes, can anyone say slot receiver. He sure is a good athlete, but if the guy handling the ball 80 % of the time and responsible for reading defenses, knowing the playbook, audibling, and running the offense can only handle a 6 on the wonderlic; I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. Just what kind of classes is he taking there at the University of Texas to remain eligible.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We MUST get young as it will help us to keep the worst overall wonderlic of the league !!!!

Je,je,je.

Seriously Hawk.... the next Nitshcke kind of player for the pack..

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
We MUST get young as it will help us to keep the worst overall wonderlic of the league !!!!

Je,je,je.

Seriously Hawk.... the next Nitshcke kind of player for the pack..
Actually his score has been updated to 16, but that is still poor for a quarterback.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will have a better idea after FA. I originally thought it would be Hawk but with the number of LB's available and some at fairly reasonable money it may be we go to FA for LB and then take Williams #5.
This would make sense as it's already been acknowledged we can expect to see some new faces at LB and Williams would upgrade both the run and pass defense.
I would not be surprised to see us active in FA regarding LB and "O" line and get Williams, a saftety, and, a running back, in the draft. We draft #5 and #37 and both those guys should be players that can step in now and upgrade positions where we need help.
I think it will be Williams for sure if we don't resign Kamp. If we do resign Kamp but do not pick up a LB or two in FA it will probably be Hawk.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts