Moss to Packers: A Vikings fan's view

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Star-Tribune:
---------------------------

Jim Souhan: Vikings won't be green with envy if Moss is a Packer
Randy Moss was great with the Vikings, but he hasn't been great with Oakland and wouldn't be with Green Bay.
By Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
Last update: March 15, 2007 – 11:05 PM

Because of all the scandals, mistakes and general obtuseness brought to us by the Vikings the past few years, it's easy to forget that their anonymous and amorphous front office made one of the most prescient moves in recent NFL history.
We said it then, and we'll say it again: The Vikings traded Randy Moss at the right time, for the right price.

Now the Green Bay Packers -- who watched Moss use one of their Lambeau Field goalposts as Charmin substitute -- are reportedly considering trading for the Former Freak.

Such a deal would create fascinating possibilities, including Brett Favre throwing deep to the most talented receiver he's ever played with, Moss Lambeau leaping when he wants to Lambeau leap, and the Vikings feeling fortunate that the man who transformed their franchise is playing for their biggest rival.

Even though the Vikings have become a beacon of mismanagement and the Packers have done remarkable work building and rapidly rebuilding over the past 15 years, the Vikings got this one right, and the Packers might get this one wrong.

During the 2004 season, Moss sold out his primary sponsor, coach Mike Tice, in a national interview, and walked off the field prematurely against Washington, coming close to inciting a locker room brawl with center Matt Birk.

Moss is hardly the worst human in the NFL -- not in a league that includes the Cincinnati Bengals and Pacman Jones. With the Vikings, though, he became a problem on the field, in the locker room and in the management hierarchy (because Tice had sold his soul to Moss), and was eating up a disproportionate amount of the payroll on a defensively challenged team, so the Vikings acted logically: They traded him to the highest bidder.

That proved to be the Oakland Raiders, who offered the seventh pick in the 2005 draft and underachieving linebacker Napoleon Harris. That package seemed trifling when compared to Moss' production, but, had the Vikings listened to Tice and taken Maryland defensive end Shawne Merriman with the seventh pick, he would have put them into the playoffs in 2005, possibly saving Tice's job.

With Tice and Merriman in place, the Vikings (despite Tice's goofiness and Merriman's four-game suspension) would have been in the playoffs again last year.

Instead, the Vikings chose receiver Troy Williamson in a mistaken attempt to replace Moss' speed.

By the end of the 2005 season, despite the Love Boat and the injuries to Birk and Daunte Culpepper, the Vikings' decision to invest more in their defense was paying off, as they won seven of their last nine games with a backup quarterback.

Since the trade, Moss has cemented his reputation as an overrated, annoying star. He has dropped about as many passes as Williamson and hasn't made many more big plays. While he shouldn't be blamed for the general dysfunction of the Raiders, he has contributed to it with his sulking and ineffective play.

The Raiders might select LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell with the first pick in the 2007 draft. Russell's best attribute is his ability to throw the deep pass. Don't you think that if Moss were still a worthwhile player the Raiders would keep him and pair him with Russell?

One of the reasons the Vikings traded Moss was their concern over his work habits. He began suffering leg injuries, and the Vikings' brass wasn't convinced he would be diligent in maintaining his body.

By the time Cris Carter hit 30, he was employing nutritionists, chiropractors, personal trainers and masseuses to lengthen and enhance his career. Moss, 30, employed an agent who got busted for possession of crack cocaine.

Carter was the perfect mentor for Moss. In Moss' first three seasons, his teams compiled a regular-season record of 36-12. In '01, as Carter failed to reach 1,000 yards receiving for the first time in nine seasons, the Vikings went 5-11. Since Carter and Moss split, Moss' teams have gone 6-10, 9-7, 8-8, 4-12 and 2-14.

The Vikings realized that Moss was a declining player no longer worth the headaches he caused or the price he demanded. The Raiders quickly came to the same conclusion.

The Packers? Apparently, they're looking for the perfect guy to mentor Koren Robinson.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on AM-1500 KSTP

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Star-Tribune:
---------------------------

Jim Souhan: Vikings won't be green with envy if Moss is a Packer
Randy Moss was great with the Vikings, but he hasn't been great with Oakland and wouldn't be with Green Bay.
By Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
Last update: March 15, 2007 – 11:05 PM

Because of all the scandals, mistakes and general obtuseness brought to us by the Vikings the past few years, it's easy to forget that their anonymous and amorphous front office made one of the most prescient moves in recent NFL history.
We said it then, and we'll say it again: The Vikings traded Randy Moss at the right time, for the right price.

Now the Green Bay Packers -- who watched Moss use one of their Lambeau Field goalposts as Charmin substitute -- are reportedly considering trading for the Former Freak.

Such a deal would create fascinating possibilities, including Brett Favre throwing deep to the most talented receiver he's ever played with, Moss Lambeau leaping when he wants to Lambeau leap, and the Vikings feeling fortunate that the man who transformed their franchise is playing for their biggest rival.

Even though the Vikings have become a beacon of mismanagement and the Packers have done remarkable work building and rapidly rebuilding over the past 15 years, the Vikings got this one right, and the Packers might get this one wrong.

During the 2004 season, Moss sold out his primary sponsor, coach Mike Tice, in a national interview, and walked off the field prematurely against Washington, coming close to inciting a locker room brawl with center Matt Birk.

Moss is hardly the worst human in the NFL -- not in a league that includes the Cincinnati Bengals and Pacman Jones. With the Vikings, though, he became a problem on the field, in the locker room and in the management hierarchy (because Tice had sold his soul to Moss), and was eating up a disproportionate amount of the payroll on a defensively challenged team, so the Vikings acted logically: They traded him to the highest bidder.

That proved to be the Oakland Raiders, who offered the seventh pick in the 2005 draft and underachieving linebacker Napoleon Harris. That package seemed trifling when compared to Moss' production, but, had the Vikings listened to Tice and taken Maryland defensive end Shawne Merriman with the seventh pick, he would have put them into the playoffs in 2005, possibly saving Tice's job.

With Tice and Merriman in place, the Vikings (despite Tice's goofiness and Merriman's four-game suspension) would have been in the playoffs again last year.

Instead, the Vikings chose receiver Troy Williamson in a mistaken attempt to replace Moss' speed.

By the end of the 2005 season, despite the Love Boat and the injuries to Birk and Daunte Culpepper, the Vikings' decision to invest more in their defense was paying off, as they won seven of their last nine games with a backup quarterback.

Since the trade, Moss has cemented his reputation as an overrated, annoying star. He has dropped about as many passes as Williamson and hasn't made many more big plays. While he shouldn't be blamed for the general dysfunction of the Raiders, he has contributed to it with his sulking and ineffective play.

The Raiders might select LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell with the first pick in the 2007 draft. Russell's best attribute is his ability to throw the deep pass. Don't you think that if Moss were still a worthwhile player the Raiders would keep him and pair him with Russell?

One of the reasons the Vikings traded Moss was their concern over his work habits. He began suffering leg injuries, and the Vikings' brass wasn't convinced he would be diligent in maintaining his body.

By the time Cris Carter hit 30, he was employing nutritionists, chiropractors, personal trainers and masseuses to lengthen and enhance his career. Moss, 30, employed an agent who got busted for possession of crack cocaine.

Carter was the perfect mentor for Moss. In Moss' first three seasons, his teams compiled a regular-season record of 36-12. In '01, as Carter failed to reach 1,000 yards receiving for the first time in nine seasons, the Vikings went 5-11. Since Carter and Moss split, Moss' teams have gone 6-10, 9-7, 8-8, 4-12 and 2-14.

The Vikings realized that Moss was a declining player no longer worth the headaches he caused or the price he demanded. The Raiders quickly came to the same conclusion.

The Packers? Apparently, they're looking for the perfect guy to mentor Koren Robinson.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on AM-1500 KSTP

Great article. Thanks for posting

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wish this whole Randy Moss trade hoax disappear.

I hope Bob McGinn and the others who were lied to remember the person who started this hoax in the future.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wish this whole Randy Moss trade hoax disappear.

I hope Bob McGinn and the others who were lied to remember the person who started this hoax in the future.

This article kinds of reminds you of why most hated Moss in the first place. Thats kind of wore off to some because he has been near invisible for 3 years

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This reads like an MN writer who's hiding his fear of Moss and trying to steer the Pack away from him. I think this guy is just pissed that they let Randy go. What kind of argument is hindsight on what they could have done with the draft picks? Sure, Merriman would have saved Tice's job. Whatever. The viking were better with Moss, period.

Will the Pack be? I don't know, but I do know this, Moss have NEVER lined up opposite the talent of Driver and Jennings. That trio is enough to make all safeties look like Sharper.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether Moss comes to GB or not I do not buy that at 30 years old guy as talented as he has been is no longer capable. This would be extremely out of the ordinary for top WR's out there who produce well beyond that age.
The guy has not played on teams of late that can take advantage of what he can do and he has had some nagging injuries including a hamstring.

Like I say, if it's BF or some other capable QB, you put Moss in a place where they go to him and can get the ball there this crap about him not having it anymore will get dispelled quick.

The best thing that could happen for 31 teams out there is for him to stay in Oakland where he will never do the damage he is capable of.

I know the guy is goofy and can be an idiot but I am certainly not buying into him being washed up.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well this is a fun room isnt it.

Randy Moss was vilianized by the packer fan base for years, including me... i used to HATE this guy because he was a viking and he torched us constantly.

the fact is... he has been with way below average QBs for 2 years now, on WAY WAY below average team. Hes unhappy the teams losing but has still been fairly quiet about the whole situation.

its gonna be tough to erase the image weve created for him over the years. but things change.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons - I think Queens fans, Chris Carter and Jake Reed may argue with you about your assertion. I love Driver but he is no Carter and Jennings by no means has fully proven himself as a career WR, even though he has hope.

But I agree with and understand your point. The last couple of years Moss has not had any good WR mates to line-up with. He would here. No doubt about it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the writer. Moss is not worth the trouble. But a lot of Packer fans have stars in their eyes right now. They think Favre will just be able to throw the ball up in the air and Moss will go get it. If only it were that easy, I'd want Moss too. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that Favre's strength has never been the deep pass, it's hitting receivers on slants and timing patterns, which is not Randy's game. Moss could still put up some good numbers in Green Bay, but I wouldn't expect him to be enough of a difference-maker on the field to make up for his silly antics off the field and his lack of commitment to the game.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another Viking fan whom is very straightforward thinks if the Pack can land Randy Moss it'll spell trouble for the rest of the NFC North. In fact he wishes the Vikings had never traded Moss. It pretty much lead to Culpepper’s departure as well.

The fact is you just don't know. I'd like to see Moss here because of Brett Favre but as a long term solution I don't believe it'll work with Aaron Rodgers unless they form some sort of relationship. Once Favre retires I think Moss is likely to be released a few weeks later.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg, I won't disagree about the gamble that's there regarding Moss' character but I do disagree on BF's ability to get the ball down field.

We have simply not had the deep threat or the guy that can get down there and then go up and get it.

I have seen to many replays where it showed Brett got the ball there deep down the field and the receiver didn't come up with it to think Brett can't do this.

You are also missing a key point in that because that threat is there and Moss is on the field it will open up both DD and Jennings in the middle of the field where they can catch and run.

What defense could defend a 4 wide with DD and Jennings crossing and KRob and Moss going deep.

ANSWER: None

Favre has not had this and Moss has not had this to work with and that is why it would be so dynamic. Neither has had anything close to this scenario to be a part of for years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts