1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCarthy apparently wants Hawk back next year

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by neilfii, Feb 26, 2011.

1. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
  2. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I think Barnett should be the odd man out at ILB. It's hard to argue the results of Hawk and Bishop inside. I would like to see the CBA done before the draft for a lot of reasons but one of them is it would allow Thompson to have the option of including a player like Barnett in a trade-up.

3. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    I'd much rather see Hawk stay than Barnett...but thats just me

• Like Like x 2
  4. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +473
    Yeah, dump Barnett, keep Hawks.

For some reason I STILL blame Barnett for not dropping deep enough on the infamous Eagles 4th and 26, and have never been able to forgive it.

5. SoCalPacker

SoCalPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +82
    Hawk needs to stay and Barnett goes, that's what I want to see anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +117
    I've criticized Hawk throughout his entire career, but he really redeemed himself this year. I think most important was his role in playing the "defensive quarterback" after Barnett went down (with the electronic helmet), and excelling at that role. He was also making some big tackles that he didn't make in the past. If it's between him and Barnett, I choose Hawk.

7. Guacamole

Guacamole Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +93
    all this speculation.......who knows

8. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    Keep Hawk please.

9. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I'm hoping that what MM wants, MM will get. Especially this year.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    I'm with neilfii

11. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    Keep Hawk.

Hawk had a great season hes always making tackles or something.

I seriously doubt TT would let a Talent like Hawk go.

12. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Hawk's emergence has more to do than just maturity. Once he was given the Def QB role, it woke him up and he went from being a supporting player who was always one step away from making a play, to a leader who made the play.

Hope Hawk stays.

• Like Like x 3
  13. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    I'm with JBlood

14. Skarecrow

Skarecrow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I always liked Hawk and always thought he played like a 1st round linebacker. His only problem is he has never played like the 5th player picked over all. Him becoming the "qb" of the defense finally plays on his strength.. his football intelligence. Who knew

15. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Hawk played well this year but I wonder about a player that only played well in what was essentially a contract year (everyone realized the packers werent going to pay him $10 mil). He is almost always 2 steps short on every play and the INTs he gets seem to be gifts from god. I dont remember him ever making an Urlacher type int. Not saying he has, I just dont recall it. I think his position is one of the weakest points on our defense. That being said I dont know what would be the other option as Nick B is almost always hurt lately. I would be happy to see the position addressed in the draft.

16. InRodgersWeTrust

InRodgersWeTrust Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I definitely keep Hawk over Barnett if thats the choice we have.

17. YouFrgotPoland

YouFrgotPoland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +66
    Honestly, the combination of Bishop and Hawk got us a championship, so if that is possible, that's what I want again. All that Hawk not being worth the pick we spent on him, and what not, is out the window IMO because with him as the primary signal caller, we won the Superbowl.

Don't get me wrong, I've always liked Barnett, and would rather have him on the team than not. However, much like most everyone else, I was not a big fan of the way Nick handled himself this season. I know he really is a good guy, but his bitterness for not being able to be a part of the championship team really stuck out IMO. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure he didn't come to any of the games after he got hurt. Someone let me know if that's not true. But I was told a few days ago he didn't, except for the big dance. If that is true, that says a lot to me. I am a HUGE fan of the Packers mentality towards the type of players it likes to have on the team. Guys who are standout on and off the field, make the right decisions, aren't selfish, and are good teammates. It is because of the resolve the Pack had AS A TEAM this year that we won the big game more than anything, IMO. You look back and you see guys like Tauscher who was on IR and continued to travel with the team. Guys, who we already know are in a class of their own when it comes to character, in Woodson and Driver, who never stopped cheering for their buddies when they went down in the big game. Those type of people are who make the Packers the Packers, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I guess where I'm going with this is that, like I said, I like Nick, but this season has shown be a bit of a different side to him. I'd like for him to change my mind, but I would also understand if he doesn't get the chance.

Back to Hawk, as I said, the fact is he was the primary signal caller on the best defense in the NFL this year. He does have a contract dispute with us right now, and if we don't pay him, I guarantee someone else will. I would love to have him back, but honestly if he doesn't come back, I wouldn't be bitter towards him. We all hated on him the past couple years, he finally gets a shot, and we win the superbowl.

We'll just have to see how TT really feels about everything. And at the end of the day, I'll be fine with whatever Ted chooses to do. I was a supporter of him before, but after this season, there's no way I question his moves ever again.

Go Pack.

18. Future

Future He did WHAT?

Ratings:
    +87
    I've never really embraced Hawk until this season. He never stood out as a playmaker. Something clicked with him this year though. He appeared to be a better tackler, made more meaningful tackles (a tackle closer to the LOS) and I thought he had a good number of pass deflections which is a really underrated statistic IYAM.

Like many, I didn't like how selfish Barnett came off this year. Hawk is younger and a lot more reliable than Barnett at this point. If you can keep Hawk at a reasonable price, go ahead and cut Barnett.