1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Matt Forte

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackersFanfromCali80, Jan 16, 2012.

1. PackersFanfromCali80

PackersFanfromCali80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Is there any chance Thompson would consider giving him a look? Our running game woes would be solved and it would take extra pressure off of Aaron.

2. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    I don't think so. Even though you're right.

3. dbain21

dbain21 Chicagoland Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +111
    he's probably looking for a pretty hefty contract, and with starks, grant, saine, and alex green I don't think we need another back, as good as forte is.

4. PackersFanfromCali80

Ratings:
    +86
    Grant can go, Starks is constantly injured and Saine and Green will be 2nd year players. Thompson might have to do something unusual this offseason and take a look at free agent players.

5. The Real Pack Attack

The Real Pack Attack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    No chance at all. Forte wants big $$$. It would be a huge mistake to sign him.

6. PackersFanfromCali80

Ratings:
    +86
    A huge mistake? Really?

We have not had a good running game since Ahman Green left.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +615
    There is absolutely no chance because the Bears are using the franchise tag on Forte. There is absolutely no scenario where TT gives up two first round picks. Forte will be a Bear for at least one more year.

8. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    I'm pretty sure Ryan Grant will not be here next season. So that will leave us with 3 other backs. But at the same time, Forte is about as consistent, reliable and versatile a back as there is in this league. Even if it might cost us an arm and a leg, I think he might be worth it.

His skills as far as receiving are very inciting. But alas I don't see TT spending the money to sign him. Especially when there are more important issues that need addressing. Like our defensive line, pass rush, will Nick Collins ever play football again, Finely situation, Flynn situation, etc

9. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    Thats interesting, probably too expensive though.

10. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    You have to wonder though if drafting or signing another RB would be a good idea.

If Grant isn't back that will leave us with 3 other backs. But Alex Green is coming off a severe knee injury so there is no telling how effective he'll be if at all, Saine has been meh in the amount of carries he's gotten, and Starks has been injured all season.

While Forte is coming off an injury of his own, he's more proven and reliable than anybody we have on roster. So I think it might be worth the money and risk. If it means providing balance to our offense, I think it's a good thing. Because we haven't had balance on offense all season even when we were healthy

11. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +184
  12. TCHickman24

TCHickman24 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    We need defense, people...

• Like Like x 3
  13. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    Franchise tag...end of story. Rodgers will get to play with him in the Pro Bowl though.....and speaking of the pro bowl....they all better show up and not hide this off season after yesterday.

14. PalmettoPacker

PalmettoPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    How about Peyton Hillis? The guy not only ran for 1,000+ yards last year, but the guy also has some of the best hands of any RB in the NFL. This is a 245 pound back that had such good hands that he returned punts in college. Hillis wouldn't cost as much Forte and will be available.

Grant's best days are behind him and Starks can't stay healthy.

15. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    lol Hillis is pretty injury prone himself. And Hillis is looking to get paid a lot of money. I think he's overestimating his value as well. No thanks.

Mike Tolbert is going to be a Free Agent as well. If we are on the subject of bowling ball power RB's, I'd rather have him than Hillis.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TCHickman24

TCHickman24 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    I'd rather have Michael Bush from Oakland. Always produced when Mcfadden was out... Also, wont break the bank.

• Like Like x 1
  17. peteralan71

peteralan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +51
    Forte has one or two yrs left before he fades like the rest of the RBs.

18. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +615
    I would love to have Michael Bush. He is very solid. He looks like he would be a great free agent pick up... SIGN HIM UP!

• Like Like x 2
  19. GoldenBear08

GoldenBear08 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    If we're looking to add a bona fide, tough, physical RB I'd want Marshawn Lynch. No history of major injuries and plus he'd add to the Cal network on the team (Bishop and Arod).

20. JacobInFlorida

JacobInFlorida Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    I'm not big on going out and paying a RB. The careers of even good ones are so short now days, it's hard to justify.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,831
    The chances of the Packers acquiring Forte are not zero, but it's so close to zero it's not worth a conversation except to dismiss it. IMO the last position to go after in FA is RB, as posted above, it's a burnout position and in the Packers pass-first offense it's not as important as other positions. And if you don't believe any of that, IMO TCHickman24 is correct: We need more talent on defense. If Thompson believes he has to acquire another RB (because Grant is almost certainly gone) I'll bet he thinks the best avenue to get one is through the draft. Speaking of the draft, just look where premier RBs go nowadays compared to 20 years ago, that reinforces a couple of the points I've advanced above.

Taking all that into consideration, I agree with The Real Pack Attack, it would be a huge mistake to sign him because those resources are needed elsewhere. And this will be the first time I post this in this offseason but I'm sure not the last: Those expecting Ted Thompson to pursue a big name UFA are going to be disappointed. Remember Thompson acquired Grant with a sixth round pick. So JenningsLongCatch is right: There isn't a player on the planet Thompson would give up two first rounders for, most particularly a RB. And I'll bet there's not one player on the planet he'd give a first rounder for, straight up (no other picks included).

• Like Like x 1
  22. The Real Pack Attack

The Real Pack Attack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Look at the Packer Backs. Ryan Grant was undrafted. TT traded a 6th rd pick for him. Starks was a 6th rd pick, Saine undrafted, Kuhn undrafted signed off Steelers practice squad, Alex Green 3rd rd pick. To TT RB's are a dime a dozen. He is not going to dish out big $$$ for Forte or other FA RB. Look for them to draft a back late or they will bring in some undrafted FA. Thats TT's MO.

IF and thats a huge IF TT ventures into free agency I would expect it to be for a defensive player.

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    Big Money for a RB? when will people learn

• Like Like x 2
  24. PackersFanfromCali80

Ratings:
    +86
    When Aaron Rodgers is our leading rusher for more than one game, that is a problem. The lack of a running game killed our offense this past season. Starks, Grant and Saine did not get it done so there's no reason to think they will have it happen. Not only is Forte a good running back, he is also a good receiver. Michael Bush and Marshawn Lynch would work as well.

25. PackersFanfromCali80

Ratings:
    +86
    There's a thread for that and this isn't it. If I wanted to talk about what we needed on D, I would have brought it up.