martellus Bennet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 year deal for under 20 million is a steal to have him.

Still should have signed Gilmore and drafted TJ Watt in the first round. That would have made the offseason a success. Now we still lack a big time pass rusher and a shut down corner to legitimately compete for a Super Bowl.

Let's see what else Ted can do between now and the draft to solidify this defense and give 12 a fair chance to win # 2.

Watt likely won't be at the back of the 1st round...

Gilmore would have been AWESOME, but it's done he's a Patriot now

Can only hope for Revis now

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 years $18.45 million per Demovsky(but he's an idiot) on ESPN

STEAL

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if Bennett is the better player then it does. Its just a matter of how much.

As for arguing about who's better there's not a single metric I can think of which would make Cook the better player at this point in time.

Route Running: Bennett

Hands: Bennett by a mile

Red zone threat: Bennett

Blocking: Bennett

Health: Bennett

Production: Bennett (last year with Rodgers as his QB Cook wasn't as good as Bennett even when healthy)

Not that Cooks bad but Bennett is pretty literally better at everything

Who the hell disagreed on this? Oh wait... figures.

Anyways when is the last time that we had a player who was a plus in both the run and pass? Bennett's versatility will make both phases of the offense better.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 years $18.45 million per Demovsky(but he's an idiot) on ESPN

STEAL

Another source (Ian Rapaport) is reporting that it's 3/21. Either way, good deal.

Apparently we were close to a bigger deal with Cook. No wonder we bailed on it if Cook dragged his feet on it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good move in terms of making Rodgers happy. The offense will probably scores a bunch of points..but they will still lose to another offense just as good. That's not being negative that's being real. They've gotten worse on defense l. Until they add a few more pieces in the secondary and fix the pass rush this is the best team in the north but will never get to the SB. Like it or not. Us packers fans are loyal but way to damn delusional if you think this team can compete for a SB with TT not doing anything with the defense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
When you've spent years digging yourself into the position that Thompson can't tie his shoes, it makes for some really interesting arguments when he brings in good players.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol did your moderator tag make you say that?

No its how I truly feel about this. If Ted did not sign Bennet and let Cook walk lets say people would of grabbed the Torches and Pitchforks and protested outside of Lambeau Field. Ted seen a hole that needed to be filled and he went out and spent money to fill a hole. Its not the hole that I wanted filled but Bennet would be an improvement over Cook.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted surprised us today, so let's give him more than the 2nd day of free agency to say he didn't improve the D. There are still lots of guys available who could help us.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted surprised us today, so let's give him more than the 2nd day of free agency to say he didn't improve the D. There are still lots of guys available who could help us.

It wont take that much effort to clean up CB. A solid vet, a rich draft and some found money from last year and the year before should work wonders for our stable of cornerbacks. Honestly the same people carrying on about our corners are the same ones who were losing it over the wide receiver position last off-season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It wont take that much effort to clean up CB. A solid vet, a rich draft and some found money from last year and the year before should work wonders for our stable of cornerbacks. Honestly the same people carrying on about our corners are the same ones who were losing it over the wide receiver position last off-season.

pass rush, pass rush, pass rush.

Last edited:

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like Cook overplayed his hand here obviously. That Thompson went with Bennett shows he didn't want to risk potentially losing both these guys and pissing off his QB. Very unTed- like in my opinion. Interesting that maybe there's more there than meets the eye.

The signing itself, I think is more or less a lateral move. I'm not sure I understand how this makes the Packers better, but they had to have either Cook or Bennett to solidly chances the offense picks up where it left off.

I was really hoping to resign Cook because of his success last year and his quick chemistry with AR. I'll assume the posters here are correct and that Bennett is an upgrade, but chemistry and experience in a system are important. That's why I wanted Cook back, i think he could have played even better this season with a year under his belt.

That said, I await TJ Lang news.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Seems like Cook overplayed his hand here obviously. That Thompson went with Bennett shows he didn't want to risk potentially losing both these guys and pissing off his QB. Very unTed- like in my opinion. Interesting that maybe there's more there than meets the eye.

The signing itself, I think is more or less a lateral move. I'm not sure I understand how this makes the Packers better, but they had to have either Cook or Bennett to solidly chances the offense picks up where it left off.

I was really hoping to resign Cook because of his success last year and his quick chemistry with AR. I'll assume the posters here are correct and that Bennett is an upgrade, but chemistry and experience in a system are important. That's why I wanted Cook back, i think he could have played even better this season with a year under his belt.

People feel like it's an upgrade because a) Bennett has always been a better receiver, especially in terms of RZ production and catch rate, and b) because Bennett is one of the best blockers in the league and Cook can't block a lick.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No reason he can't build that same chemistry with Bennett. While I think Cook is probably a little quicker, I think Bennett is a bit better big body red zone target, something which AR has lacked most of his career.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bennett is honestly just better

Anyone who has watched football prior to the 2010 SB should know

Martellus is just a better overall football player than Jared Cook and it's funny it's up for debate

I'm just shocked that he didn't cost that much... TT did a great job in not overpaying

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sold that TJ's return is a necessity. He may be holding out for the mid tier OT type money. The longer he is out there though the lower his price becomes. Next week this time if he's still free he's back at $5-6m per or there about.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sold that TJ's return is a necessity. He may be holding out for the mid tier OT type money. The longer he is out there though the lower his price becomes. Next week this time if he's still free he's back at $5-6m per or there about.

I see Detroit, Houston, or Seattle paying him around 8-9 a year. Unless he really loves playing in GB he's not taking a discount. He's going to the highest bidder. My money is on one of these three teams.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this may be the only place where Jared Cook is viewed close to Martellus Bennett.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this may be the only place where Jared Cook is viewed close to Martellus Bennett.

I 100% believe MB is the better player. But MB again strikes me as a guy who will pout if he isn't getting the ball. A guy this talented on 4 different teams?? Not really injury related. If that doesn't raise eyebrows then y'all are some naive people. He's the same one that body slammed his teammate in Chicago for basically just covering him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bennett is better than Cook at basically everything. There's a reason he was universally regarded as the top FA tight end. Some of you will find a reason to complain about anything this FO does. You'd rather just slam TT regardless of the move because that's your agenda. There's no interest in actually assessing the team in any way that's remotely objective. It's cute. A little annoying, but cute. You're basically homers, just in the negative.
The dislikes prob are the ones always bashing Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts