Mark Roman skips team workouts

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but hes already hurting team chemistry. its a new coach, new regime. dude, show up, show your face, mess around with your temmates.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
figtab said:
DakotaT said:
Sorry I wasted your time IBPrez. So you want to talk about Roman! What exactly is it in this guy that isn't replaceable with Manuel. If he wants to skip working out with the rest of his team so be it, it isn't mandatory. But when we signed Manuel it should have lit a fire under him! It appear he has taken it the other way!

And figtab, I am judging him on past perfomance. He is mediocre at best. If he was cut i could care, and if he were traded I'm ecstatic. How many interceptions has he gotten in 2 years? I think his tackling was adequate last year, but can't we ever have more than adequate. This guy has been a disappointment and it looks as if we are moving on.
Im not trying to say he is the best or anything i also think he is a dissapointment but some guys might have their own work that they benefit from. lets say he comes in to training camp a good solid 220 with 6% bodyfat. i mean lets not yell at them for not comming to work out. i mean look at brett favre he is also a no show but i know he has done so much for the orginazation and blah blah...
Figtab - you make a good point, and as a pro, he should be working out. The context of the article makes it sound like he is pouting about the Manuel signing and that is what sets people off.

What I also took from the article was that Roman has the arrogance to think is not replaceble. The only Packer I have seen with those credentials is Favre.

My sarcastic approach was that this player is unbelievably replaceable and we are wasting time talking about it. I am not here to offend anyone so if I did, I apologize.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
but hes already hurting team chemistry. its a new coach, new regime. dude, show up, show your face, mess around with your temmates.

I agree, totally..... If you mouth off about "being one of the team, and nothing SPECIAL.. " - then, by God, prove it! I can't remember the number of times, Favre has spoke THOSE words, and yet, nowadays...he's real hard to find at autograph signings, anywhere... let alone being there "for the team" at mini-camps and on into the Summer.

What was it that Majikowski used to do? Hmmmmm!

Like I said - EACH player has the right and the opportunity to show up and PROVE themselves.... MIKE HAWKINS is one such player.. if Roman can pull THAT off... and 'win' the spot... then he'd better be ready to retain it, as well.... Sure, Collins was good, last year - but instantly better than Roman? That's a hard sell, to a point. It was, after all, Nick's first year in the NFL - let's go easy on Mark Roman, eh?

THIS YEAR? Watch out!

figtab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
figtab said:
DakotaT said:
Sorry I wasted your time IBPrez. So you want to talk about Roman! What exactly is it in this guy that isn't replaceable with Manuel. If he wants to skip working out with the rest of his team so be it, it isn't mandatory. But when we signed Manuel it should have lit a fire under him! It appear he has taken it the other way!

And figtab, I am judging him on past perfomance. He is mediocre at best. If he was cut i could care, and if he were traded I'm ecstatic. How many interceptions has he gotten in 2 years? I think his tackling was adequate last year, but can't we ever have more than adequate. This guy has been a disappointment and it looks as if we are moving on.
Im not trying to say he is the best or anything i also think he is a dissapointment but some guys might have their own work that they benefit from. lets say he comes in to training camp a good solid 220 with 6% bodyfat. i mean lets not yell at them for not comming to work out. i mean look at brett favre he is also a no show but i know he has done so much for the orginazation and blah blah...
Figtab - you make a good point, and as a pro, he should be working out. The context of the article makes it sound like he is pouting about the Manuel signing and that is what sets people off.

What I also took from the article was that Roman has the arrogance to think is not replaceble. The only Packer I have seen with those credentials is Favre.

My sarcastic approach was that this player is unbelievably replaceable and we are wasting time talking about it. I am not here to offend anyone so if I did, I apologize.
Oh no you didnt offend anyone its all good. I also see where your comming from. IMHO i think he should show up and meet his coahc and all and talk. i didnt know this was all about the manuel signing but now that i know it is forgot about him if he is gonna be a little gir and cry about getting another safety signed he should be yelled at. He should in there giving manuel some pointers and become good friends.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Manuel could not beat out Roman when they were in Cincinnati he may not be able to do it now.

Remember the scheme in 04 made everyone(including Al Harris) look bad.

Last year his partner at safety was a rookie who needed some help and guidance.

Little and Freeman were NFL starters who were brought in and could not beat him out. Roman can again beat out Manuel. If it were not for a nightclub incident Manuel would not have received the snaps he did in Seattle.

Let's get this right and the MSJ quote is:
A source with knowledge of Roman's situation said he was upset that the Packers basically had signed Manuel to replace him at strong safety. For now, at least, it appears as if Roman isn’t going to take part in team activities.

A lot of opinion from one source. No words from Roman so be careful on your attitude of Roman.

If Manuel cannot beat out Roman as he failed to do so in Cincinnati then Packers have a problem when a back up is being paid much more than a starter.
What many do not see is Roman has already proven he is better than Manuel. It takes more than a larger paycheck to become a starter in the NFL.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
If Manuel could not beat out Roman when they were in Cincinnati he may not be able to do it now.

Remember the scheme in 04 made everyone(including Al Harris) look bad.

Last year his partner at safety was a rookie who needed some help and guidance.

Little and Freeman were NFL starters who were brought in and could not beat him out. Roman can again beat out Manuel. If it were not for a nightclub incident Manuel would not have received the snaps he did in Seattle.

Let's get this right and the MSJ quote is:
A source with knowledge of Roman's situation said he was upset that the Packers basically had signed Manuel to replace him at strong safety. For now, at least, it appears as if Roman isn’t going to take part in team activities.

A lot of opinion from one source. No words from Roman so be careful on your attitude of Roman.

If Manuel cannot beat out Roman as he failed to do so in Cincinnati then Packers have a problem when a back up is being paid much more than a starter.
What many do not see is Roman has already proven he is better than Manuel. It takes more than a larger paycheck to become a starter in the NFL.

What type of defense did they run when roman beat out manuel?

Some players get better over time while some stay at the same level. If Roman had already proved better than Manuel why not show up and prove it again and get a nice paycheck?

Sounds more like Roman knows he got lucky to beat out Manuel once before and is afraid of challenge. I'd rather a competitor who wants a challenge then someone who succumbs to one.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what defense was run by the old losing regime in Cincinnati.
Marvin Lewis became coach in 2003.

Roman was drafted in the second round of 2000(34th overall) from LSU. Roman became the starter in Cincinnati late his rookie year.

Manuel was a 6th round pick(181 overall) from Florida in 2002.

In 2004 Roman came to Green Bay during free agency period after completion of his rookie contract. Manuel was waived by Cincinnati in the final cut before the preseason 2004 and Seattle claimed him on waivers.

Roman has been a starter in the NFL for 5 seasons and Manuel had not started until the starter in Seattle received nonfootball injuries(5 games?).

Let's be fair and not dance on Roman's grave, say he has an attitude problem, is mad, or Manuel is a better player without some facts to support it.

How about thinking critically instead of adapting the opinions of some guy at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel with spell check?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Hey CalCheez - what was the Defensive scheme in Cincy, while these two were over there?

I know what you are saying IPB but in my mind a football player is a football player. Especially at safety. These guys should be able to adjust to any scheme.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I judge players on the field and off.

ON the field, I seen a lot of missed tackles. Yes, his numbers list a lot of tackles made, but the missed tackles killed me...and it seemed they were all in the red zone. but thats me. I remember 2 years ago in the playoff loss, roman was screaming and yelling at someone on the sideline while we were losing. It was probably carroll(JK!) he was yelling at, all I know is during an interview (and I have it on my cpu, so if you want it, ill send it) Al harris said it wasnt him he was yelling at (i saved it cuz al gives the best interviews ever, and he also says carroll screws up, without mentioning his name). So yelling at a teammate in a playoff game? while losing? wheres the leadership, wheres the composure? Weak..

OFF the field come the reports hes mad GB got a safety to probably replace him. Cmon...grow up. This only makes him look bad. If he wants out, come to workouts, show other teams ur a team player..

Overall, the mark roman experiment left a bad taste in my mouth. but thats me.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
IPBprez said:
Hey CalCheez - what was the Defensive scheme in Cincy, while these two were over there?

I know what you are saying IPB but in my mind a football player is a football player. Especially at safety. These guys should be able to adjust to any scheme.

Actually, I was alluding to the "politics" of the game.

Not every player gets an equal chance - look at how Sherman treated some of the Players in his day. Many's the time we all wondered why he was still starting one guy over another who might have had a great game, the week before. Coach bias is a real factor in all of this, as is Locker Room popularity... It could explain a few things.

Otherwise, I agree....

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
DePack said:
IPBprez said:

Actually, I was alluding to the "politics" of the game.

Not every player gets an equal chance - look at how Sherman treated some of the Players in his day. Many's the time we all wondered why he was still starting one guy over another who might have had a great game, the week before. Coach bias is a real factor in all of this, as is Locker Room popularity... It could explain a few things.

Otherwise, I agree....

Oh O.K. I didn't look at it that way because discussing politics is taboo here :wink:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well,

Collins missed a lot of tackles early but got better as the season went on. The politics is he is a rookie and some mistakes are tolerated and if they are diminishing the exceptions are tolerated as "experience".

People still remember the secondary disaster of 2004. The politics of that is Carroll and Roman got a lot of blame and the conclusion was Sharper was over the hill and lost it. McKenzie villified. Harris got a pass.

2004 was the classic "first impression" on Carroll and Roman that is sticking with them.