Manning isn't quite ready to write off Favre yet

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the years, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning has sent letters of praise to players in the National Football League he admires when those players decide to retire.

Manning told the Indianapolis Star that he had sent such letters to former New York Jets running back Curtis Martin, former Tennessee Titans tight end Frank Wycheck and Kansas City Chiefs guard Will Shields.

However, Manning told the Star, he held off on sending a letter of congratulations to former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, 38, who retired after the 2007 season, his 17th year in the league.

Manning didn't send a letter because he's not entirely sure Favre is going to remain retired. In fact, part of him wants Favre to keep playing.

"Like everybody else, I guess we'll see what happens this fall," Manning told the newspaper. "In a lot of ways I kind of hope (he returns). Brett's a guy that's been such an influence on me and all young quarterbacks.

"I guess part of it is kind of hope, maybe, that he finds his way back in the NFL this year."

Manning, 32, said he valued players who are able to have long careers in the NFL.

"I'm always very sensitive to players retiring," Manning said. "In the NFL, not many guys get to retire as much as they're sort of retired."

Because of Favre's retirement, Manning, entering his 11th season, becomes the active leader in almost all of the NFL's major passing categories. If he remains healthy and productive, Manning will one day break all the career passing records Favre came to set in the last few seasons.

"I do take a lot of pride in going into my 11th year," Manning said. "I always admire guys that have played as long as (Steve) McNair did or Favre did or (Dan) Marino did."

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great.........another guy to keep the speculation going.
I think Favre's done. But thats just my opinion of course.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i could not agree more with Cheesey i respect manning and i still think hes the best QB in the NFL but in this case he needs to keep his mouth shut

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i could not agree more with Cheesey i respect manning and i still think hes the best QB in the NFL but in this case he needs to keep his mouth shut
I know! I bet this is just Manning's way of keeping the "Favre" thing going. He probably whispered "Hey guys! Watch how i get this reporter riled up" and goes into this statement.
And why would his opinion mean any more then anyone else's? I know as much about whether or not Favre is coming back as Manning does. ONLY Favre himself knows if theres any chance that he might return. NO ONE else's opinion matters on it.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mortfini said:
I know! I bet this is just Manning's way of keeping the "Favre" thing going. He probably whispered "Hey guys! Watch how i get this reporter riled up" and goes into this statement.
And why would his opinion mean any more then anyone else's? I know as much about whether or not Favre is coming back as Manning does. ONLY Favre himself knows if theres any chance that he might return. NO ONE else's opinion matters on it.
I agree, He isn't in Favre's head.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Mortfini said:
I agree, He isn't in Favre's head.
Yup! Just because he's next in line as far as Favre's records, they think what HE thinks matters.
Favre had the whole off season to decide what he wanted to do, and made that decision. Could he change his mind? Sure. But i don't think he will.
Of course i have no idea what Favre will ultimately do. Heck, i didn't think he would quit now, when the team was so close last year. And to go to a different team, have to learn a new system and new teammates? I don't see that happening. It COULD happen, i just don't think it will.
I think he would end up hurting his own image. If he went elsewhere, chances are he would tank. Not because he "lost it", but because of the new system/teammates. Here he KNEW what Driver and Jennings were going to do on any given play. That gave him an edge. To me, it would take him at LEAST 2 seasons just to be able to know his offense and guys. By then, he would be in his 40's, and most likely would lose some of his physical abilities.
JMO of course.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"Keep his mouth shut" ? Last time I checked there is a little thing called free speech.

I'm at a loss as to what Peyton did wrong here. Someone asked him a question and he answered it. Lets throw him in jail. And I'm at a greater loss as to why people get so angry when there is "speculation" that Favre will want to come back.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mortfini said:
I don't understand the anger a lot of people have towards anyone that says Favre may return.

"Keep his mouth shut" ? Last time I checked this is a little thing called free speech.

I'm at a loss as to what Peyton did wrong here. Someone asked him a question and he answered it. Lets throw him in jail. And I'm at a greater loss as to why people get so angry when there is "speculation" that Favre will want to come back.
I'm not angry about it. I just think it's alot of useless chatter. I don't care if they talk about it or not. I just keep getting this "here we go again :roll: " feeling. Favre made his decision, and if they want to really KNOW anything, camp out at his back door and bug the crap out of him until he says what he's gonna do, or has you arrested for trespassing! :lol:
We can talk for the next 2 years "Will he or won't he" till we're blue in the face. And if thats what people want to do, so be it. I myself would rather look forward to the Green Bay Packers and our upcoming season. Let the Favre coming back stuff die down, and IF he says he wants to come back, then it's part of Packer Chat to me.
Thats just my feelings on it of course. But I'm a Packer fan, and as of this moment in time, Aaron Rodgers is "my" QB, until anything actually changes and makes it otherwise.

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mortfini said:

"Keep his mouth shut" ? Last time I checked there is a little thing called free speech.

I agree with you Ironman, someone did ask him a question and he answered it to his best knowledge does that mean Favre will return, I dont think so, but never say never.

I always feel so bad when I post things about Favre on here for fear just like how this thread is going so far. He was our QB for a very long time and he wont be forgotten, and if people want to talk about him they should they have that right IMO. weather that be on here, or if other players speak about him it really dont matter. Its just talk, its not harming anyone.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, knoock it off everyone! Where did Manning state that he is thinks Favre will come back? All he said is that he HOPES or WOULD LIKE to see Favre come back. Man!

Cheesey, you in your post said you don't think he will come back. Is you opinion more qualified than Mannings? And keep in mind that Manning did not express a will he or wont he opinion. He only said he wasn't sure. And he is certianly entitled to that.

EVERYONE is entitled to speculate as to what might or might not happen.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he said this more out of respect than anything else.

I don't see anything wrong with P Manning saying this. It's more a hats off to the guy (Favre). Manning knows he'll be chasing Favre's records. I don't care about the records, except for the wins. That's why I secretly hope Favre comes back for another year, but I truly believe he won't play in '08. He's had enough.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And by the way, what a class act Manning is. He is not only a great player, but a great fan of the game too. The fact that he sends letters to other players who have retired says volume about his respect for others.

the more and more I learn about the mannings, the more I respect the family. Besides, the ESPN commercial with his brother makes me laugh every time.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And by the way, what a class act Manning is. He is not only a great player, but a great fan of the game too. The fact that he sends letters to other players who have retired says volume about his respect for others.

yeah that is pretty cool of him. to be honest, that seems like the bigger/better story here.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, knoock it off everyone! Where did Manning state that he is thinks Favre will come back? All he said is that he HOPES or WOULD LIKE to see Favre come back. Man!

Cheesey, you in your post said you don't think he will come back. Is you opinion more qualified than Mannings? And keep in mind that Manning did not express a will he or wont he opinion. He only said he wasn't sure. And he is certianly entitled to that.

:shock: Boy........the wrath of Tripp.
I don't think my opinion is any more qualified or less qualified then the Mannings. I guess i'm just going by what Brett Favre himself said, that he's done.
I'm staying 100% out of any future Favre discussions. Whether it's disscussing his coming back, playing golf, riding his lawn mower, anything.
Sheesh. :roll:

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

I don't think my opinion is any more qualified or less qualified then the Mannings. I guess i'm just going by what Brett Favre himself said, that he's done.
I'm staying 100% out of any future Favre discussions. Whether it's disscussing his coming back, playing golf, riding his lawn mower, anything.

Instead cheesey, why not start a "when will Manning retire" thread in a Colts forum and coun the number of years before the media does and then count the number of people *****in' about "Letting him be..." then the number of people who "start" the speculation in a couple of years, etc.

know what I mean?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
trippster said:

Instead cheesey, why not start a "when will Manning retire" thread in a Colts forum and coun the number of years before the media does and then count the number of people *****in' about "Letting him be..." then the number of people who "start" the speculation in a couple of years, etc.

know what I mean?
Yeah...........i myself am just tired of the "will he won't he" stuff. Favre said NO, and unless HE comes out and says he's coming back, I'll take the man at his word. People have a right to talk about it. We DO have free speach. But then shouldn't i be able to say my views on it without getting my head bit off?
I don't know.........maybe i'm missing something.
This whole thing won't go away till the season starts. And if Rodgers tanks, there will be 50 threads here calling for Favre to suit up. I was just kind of hoping the people would leave Favre alone. Let the man live in peace, and if he decides to come out and say he's playing again, so be it. I love the guy. But he made the decision. No one kicked him to the curb. He didn't want to do what it takes to come back and play.
I doubt that theres more then a handful of people in the NFL that don't like and respect Favre. I myself was all set for him to comeback and lead us to the next SB. I was more shocked about him leaving now then if he would have left the season before. I HATED to see him go now. But the decision sure wasn't mine.

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

YEAH!! What he said! :)

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesey!

I would never bite your head off. ( well, okay, maybe an ear) I think too much of you! And you have never seen my wrath. At least not pointed at you. :wink:

I am tired of people getting on others for speculating. We all do it here and then we are upset that others do it? Until the season is well underway and favre is still mowing his lawn, there will be speculation. I mentioned Cheesey partly in error. I thought he said that Manning should keep his mouth shut. However someone else did it and Cheesey simply agreed. Someone asked Manning a question and Manning simply answered it honestly and openly. Sound familiar like someone we know and love who just retired?

And Cheesey, with all due respect, I would think that Peyton does have more knowledge and insight than most fans. He is following Favres footsteps and I am sure has mulled over his own route for exit from the NFL and the thought process that is involved. Not to mention that I am sure he has had intimate conversations with others like Favre that have gone through EXACTLY what Favre is going through. They are in a brotherhood that none of us have ever experienced.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to wonder if Favre might have some second thoughts, sitting there in Mississippi, reading this article. After all, his decision to come back a year or two ago was largely influenced by him hearing Phil Simms on the radio, saying he shouldn't retire. It still seems highly unlikely, though, and I don't think Manning was out of line in saying what he did nor was the journalist out of line for reporting it.

The big surprise for me was reading that Manning is 32 years old. Just think: In a few years people will be referring to him as an "old" player. I still think of him as a young pup. But he's only six years younger than Favre.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

yeah that is pretty cool of him. to be honest, that seems like the bigger/better story here.
:yeah:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts