Making the Jump

D

Deleted member 6794

I would love to see Jones be the guy to make the jump. I see his realistic potential being a Cameron Jordan type DE. Their size and measurables are very similar, Jordan has freakishly long arms and huge hands though, where Jones only has good size arms and hands for a DE. The long arms and hands help Jordan disengaged from blocks, something's Jones has always struggled with. If Jones can learn to get off blocks like Jordan his ability as a complete 3-4 DE (instead of just a situational pass rusher) would be much better. I believe if Jones learns to do this this year the Packers defense will take a huge leap forward, especially with the expected improvement at safety with either Dix or Hyde maning the backfield instead of Jennings.

I think Jones will be an integral part of the rotation in obvious passing downs, don´t see him play a lot in the base defense (which I know Capers doesn´t play a whole lot).

It will be interesting to see who will line up in the base defense next to Raji with Pickett and Jolly currently not under contract.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I really think a lot of people overrate Hyde´s play from last season. He did pretty well for a rookie fifth round pick, no doubt about that, but he didn´t do anything special either. I expect him to be mainly the dime corner in 2014 and the primary backup behind Hayward in the slot and Clinton-Dix at FS.
I think a lot of people overestimate Clinton Dix ability to win the staarting FS job. I expect Hyde to win the starting job easily and I think CD will be brought along slowly and play an average of 15-20 snaps a game this year.
I think Hyde, Jones and Tretter will make biggest and most noticeable jumps this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think a lot of people overestimate Clinton Dix ability to win the staarting FS job. I expect Hyde to win the starting job easily and I think CD will be brought along slowly and play an average of 15-20 snaps a game this year.

Totally disagree with that statement. I fully expect Clinton-Dix to be the starter at FS in week 1 at Seattle. Don´t read too much into who takes first-team reps during the early stages of OTAs.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jones will be an integral part of the rotation in obvious passing downs, don´t see him play a lot in the base defense (which I know Capers doesn´t play a whole lot).

It will be interesting to see who will line up in the base defense next to Raji with Pickett and Jolly currently not under contract.

To answer your question, I would like to see Jones and Daniels play in the base along with Raji. Both have a great 3-4 DE build and are versatile enough imo to be great pass rushers and still hold the edge and be good in the run game (again assuming Jones can learn to disengage blocks), but unless an ILB next to Hawk steps up, and Raji becomes run stuffing Raji of either 2010 or 2012 the run D will probably be too exposed to be very effective with this package. So I hope this becomes the base D but I am not assuming this will be. As you said not that it matters much with Capers as our defensive coordinator, especially if they sub people out as much as has been talked about this offseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

To answer your question, I would like to see Jones and Daniels play in the base along with Raji. Both have a great 3-4 DE build and are versatile enough imo to be great pass rushers and still hold the edge and be good in the run game (again assuming Jones can learn to disengage blocks), but unless an ILB next to Hawk steps up, and Raji becomes run stuffing Raji of either 2010 or 2012 the run D will probably be too exposed to be very effective with this package. So I hope this becomes the base D but I am not assuming this will be. As you said not that it matters much with Capers as our defensive coordinator, especially if they sub people out as much as has been talked about this offseason.

The more I think about it the more I get worried about the run defense. While the Packers have an abundance of pass rushers on the DL the team is lacking run-stuffers. Combined with huge question marks at the ILB position this could turn out to be a problem.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I get worried about the run defense. While the Packers have an abundance of pass rushers on the DL the team is lacking run-stuffers. Combined with huge question marks at the ILB position this could turn out to be a problem.

I agree.... we are running thin in the fat boy department.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of Lacy, Hyde, and Jones, Jones has the farthest to go by far so I expect him to make the biggest jump.

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Don´t know if the Packers want him to bulk up either as it seems like they want more athletic guys on the DL.
290-295 range would make a big difference for him IMO.
Which Is why I see Boyd as our starting LDE at the 5 tech. Why so underestimate? He had a decent outing last year, and is a prime candidate for a jump in the ever shrinking Base D
I think a lot of people overestimate Clinton Dix ability to win the starting FS job. I expect Hyde to win the starting job easily and I think CD will be brought along slowly and play an average of 15-20 snaps a game this year.
I think Hyde, Jones and Tretter will make biggest and most noticeable jumps this year.
Yeah, disagree with this. If anything Hyde starts at SS with Burnett still playing FS. Still expect HaHa to start as he's supposedly had a good showing.

At least Barclay hasn't had his hat in the Center competition this year...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My money is on Boyd and Daniels.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Datone as solely a DE.

Datone was one of niners fans draft favorites. Most of us saw him as a five technique replacement for Justin Smith, able to do the dirty work inside and still get after the QB. I think the idea of having Datone saddled up with Clay on one side, and Peppers rushing from the other seems pretty formidable.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ditto* I don't see anything that's got me excited about the run defense. What good is being able to rush the passer when teams can just line up and pound you on the ground.? Why hasn't TT given Vilma a look. Surely he can't think Brad Jones is the answer at iLB. Then again he did extend the guy smh.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone was one of niners fans draft favorites. Most of us saw him as a five technique replacement for Justin Smith, able to do the dirty work inside and still get after the QB. I think the idea of having Datone saddled up with Clay on one side, and Peppers rushing from the other seems pretty formidable.

Yea if he can see the dang field!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The future looks very bright for Datone. Although he did not light it up during the season, he was looking very good in the preseason before the ankle injury. Unfortunately, fans are very quick to jump on a young player expecting probowl appearances as a rookie or else call him a bust.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of Lacy, Hyde, and Jones, Jones has the farthest to go by far so I expect him to make the biggest jump. BTW, I’d be surprised to see Daniels in the base at DE – he may do well there but he doesn’t have ideal size for a 3-4 DE – he’s too short. I expect Jones to get nearly all the snaps at one DE spot in the base and I’m hoping he’s good enough to get snaps rushing the passer next to Daniels in sub packages.

I agree that Daniels doesn´t have ideal size to play base 3-4 DE. I wonder though if Jones is big enough to do it, expect Boyd to play one of the DE spots in the base, not sure I like anyone else there at the other spot, maybe Guion can surprise some people.

IMO Hyde and CD fighting for a starting safety spot is good news. CD is supposed to have good instincts and Hyde does. I expect both to be much, much better than MD Jennings, which should make Burnett better. If Richardson or Banjo make the jump, the Packers could have 4 safeties better than Jennings (and I’m keeping my fingers crossed MD will be starting for the Bears).

Don´t think Hyde will truly challenge Clinton-Dix for the starting job. It´s possible Richardson could turn into a solid SS but he´ll be stuck on the depth chart behind Burnett and Hyde.

D

Deleted member 6794

Which Is why I see Boyd as our starting LDE at the 5 tech. Why so underestimate? He had a decent outing last year, and is a prime candidate for a jump in the ever shrinking Base D

I don´t underestimate what Boyd did last season, but he played only in 117 snaps. It´s possible he´s able to play at one of the DE spots in the base, there´s no guarantee though. I would feel more comfortable if there was another big body on the roster though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why hasn't TT given Vilma a look. Surely he can't think Brad Jones is the answer at iLB. Then again he did extend the guy smh.

Vilma is 32 years old coming of a knee injury. In addition he´s overrated in the first place.

D

Deleted member 6794

The future looks very bright for Datone. Although he did not light it up during the season, he was looking very good in the preseason before the ankle injury. Unfortunately, fans are very quick to jump on a young player expecting probowl appearances as a rookie or else call him a bust.

I can remember Jones looking great in camp, but he injured his ankle during the first snap he played in the preseason. I hope the injury is completely healed and he can live up to the expectations this season. I agree it´s way too early to call him a bust.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like MM and the Packer coaching staff is also pointing to Datone Jones as the player they want to see make the big leap. Can't locate the article, but two things stood out. First, he was a beast in training camp last year, and second, the ankle injury on the 1st play of the season hampered him throughout the whole season.

I really hope this is true.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So how does an at best lateral move to an older less athletic player make the team better?

Because Vilma tackles . In fact you could go with Pat Angerer over Vilma and Jones. I just remembered he's still on the Market. jones isn't and has never been that good to me.

D

Deleted member 6794

Because Vilma tackles . In fact you could go with Pat Angerer over Vilma and Jones. I just remembered he's still on the Market. jones isn't and has never been that good to me.

Angerer wouldn´t be an upgrade over Jones either. Right now there aren´t any free agents available worth bringing in so we have to hope that someone already on the roster is able to step up.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Jones and Hawk will show well if we get good production this year from Raji and Peppers, and continued improvement from Daniels, Boyd and Jones. Would be really nice to have a relatively decent year injury-wise. Capers has a lot of interesting tools to work with.

Something else to consider is that there at least 5-6 teams that will need to make cuts to veteran players to clear room for salary cap. There still is likely to be help available if we run into a pinch at ILB or DL.