1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Making the Jump

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ThxJackVainisi, May 29, 2014.

1. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Bakhtiari, Banjo, Barrington, Bostick, Boyd, Dorsey, Franklin, Harper, Harris, Hill, Hyde, Jones (Datone),
    Lacy, Mulumba, Palmer, Stoneburner, Taylor (Lane), Tiller, Tretter, White (Myles).

Recognize this list? It’s a list of Packers heading into their second NFL season. As excited as we are about the draftees and UDFAs, McCarthy is no doubt counting on players on this list more than the newcomers. He has frequently talked about the jump players can make from year one to year two. Jason Wilde has a story about the jump Mike Daniels made from his rookie year to last year. “When you know what you’re doing, it makes things a heck of a lot easier,” Daniels said when asked about his improvement in his second season. "And there’s a reason you have to respect veteran players. They’ve been there, they’ve done that, they know how to play this game. I could be just as fast as I was [as a rookie], but I’ll be playing faster because I know things where I can tell where I might get a draw play, a run, a play-action pass."
    http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=14271&is_corp=1

It makes sense after acclimating to Green Bay, the Packers’ locker room and of course the rigors of the NFL, players would be in a position to make the jump. So who on the list do you expect to make that jump? Lacy has made the jump and IMO is exempt from this discussion: I expect him to improve a little - the nuances of blitz pickup and more in tune with Rodgers on outlet passes - but all he has to do is replicate his rookie season. His biggest challenge will be just staying healthy. Bakhtiari got valuable starting experience last season but he needs to improve to keep his job going forward, and I expect he will. For the rest, the position they play will be a factor in the opportunities they’ll have to contribute. Hyde’s prospects are good even though there may not be a starting spot for him – he’s got the HC calling for him to be on the field more. Tretter will get a chance to grab the starting OC job and he’s got the size to hang onto it for the foreseeable future (although I am glad Linsley was drafted to challenge him).

McCarthy said this about Jones: “Datone is a very talented young man. His injury at the end of training camp set him back. I’m looking forward to getting him back in the offseason. I think he’s one of those players that make a huge jump.” http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...ne-Jones/de16d499-8422-4ef0-9705-05e71156b6e6

Jones and Boyd will get plenty opportunities to join Daniels as a difference makers along the DL which is in need of them. Obviously the HC isn’t going to say anything negative but I don’t think he was blowing smoke about Jones – I expect him to make that huge jump too.

Mulumba’s chances for PT took a hit with the additions of Peppers and perhaps Bradford. I would love to see Barrington take a huge step up at ILB but at this point that’s more of a hope than an expectation. Franklin and Harris may be battling for one spot. Bostick certainly has a good shot to stick but with the additions at that position I’m guessing Stoneburner’s days are numbered. The WRs have a huge mountain to climb because of the competition – and there’s already a thread devoted to them. Banjo and Taylor will be battling for backup spots.

One rookie will be expected to step and start and the others will have the advantage of their draft status, but if the Packers are to go deep into the playoffs, IMO it will likely be due to the “develop” portion of the “draft and develop” philosophy.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,434
    Good post.

Bakhtiari, Banjo, Hyde, Jones, Lacy, Mulumba, Tretter, Taylor, and White are my thoughts on who will make the jump in Year 2.

I love your comment at the end about draft and develop. Forum members tend to get mad at TTs strategy, but it's really the coaching staff's job to do the development. That's easier said than done but you've got to develop and mold these kids into players. That's been the genius of Bill Belichek all of these years. He develops no-name players into NFLers.

3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,154
    I expect Datone Jones and Boyd to make the biggest jump this season, Bakhtiari to improve as well and Tretter starting although he´s in a different sitaution than all the other because of missing all of last season. I´m worried about Franklin´s neck injury as he wasn´t able to participate in today´s OTA practice.

4. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +2,904
    This is from the Ketchman story on today's OTAs. (Bakhtiari stayed at LT while Bulaga went back to the right side but we knew that already, didn't we?)
    Not much but good.
    Again, good. Let Clinton-Dix win the job from him.

5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Some other tidbits from today´s OTA practice:

Matthews, Perry, Franklin, Quarless and Bostick all were in attendance but didn´t practice. Worthy (personal reasons), Adams and Thornton (both at NFL rookie premiere, kind of an odd date to hold it this week) not in attendance.

Flynn lined up as #2 QB with Sherrod at LT and Barclay at RT. Peppers practiced with the OLB in individual drills. Defense has implemented a new takeaway period during practice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Making the defensive schemes less complicated should certainly help the players on defense make the jump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +333
    Any idea why Quarless and Bostick didn't participate?
    I haven't been able to find anything regarding these 2 birds.

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,154
    The Packers don't release any information about injured players during OTAs, but I assume Bostick missing practice had to do with the foot surgery he had after being injured in Week 15 last season. No idea why Q didn't paricipate last week.

9. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +333
    Okay.
    Thanks for the reply.

10. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +323
    Jones might take a while, wouldn't be surprised if they groomed him as an elephant end in waiting behind Herr Peppers.

11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,154
    I see Datone as solely a DE.

12. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +323
    I don't know he did look surprisingly good and comfortable playing with his head up against the 9ers last January.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +2,904
    In a recent interview in front of his locker, on the subject of the progress of younger players Aaron Rodgers said, “There’s often big jumps between years one and two and years two and three”. As an example of the latter he mentioned Mike Daniels who he expects to make a ‘big – or bigger jump this season – he played great last season.’ http://www.packers.com/media-center...s-primed/622ba77f-caae-4dd6-b841-cd2e22f922d5

In addition to Daniels, here are the other Packers going into their third years: Don Barclay, Jarrett Boykin, Casey Hayward, Nick Perry, Sean Richardson, and Jerel Worthy.

If Daniels duplicates his production from last year, that’d be great. If he makes another significant jump, that’d be fantastic. Hayward just has to get and stay healthy - he was one of those rare rookies who made the jump to the NFL immediately. Boykin stepped up last season and I think it’s reasonable to expect him to improve – he’ll certainly have a lot of competition pushing him. Barclay has had a lot of PT due to necessity and he also has plenty of room to improve. If he becomes a solid backup he will have met my expectations.

I would love to see what Nick Perry can do for a full, healthy season. He needs to be better at OLB and if he can stay healthy he should be. He was one of three mentioned by McCarthy that’ll get a chance at the elephant position - but will have to fight for PT there with Peppers and Neal. I think Worthy’s roster spot is on the line. IMO when he came into the league he was depending upon his first quick step too much. That didn’t work as well as it did at Michigan State and IMO he got tied up with blockers too often before he got hurt as a rookie. He’s had time to add strength and the experience to add different techniques.

14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    I'd put the over/under on how many of those even make the team at 50%...10 of 20 guys.

As an aside, I recall Perry being mentioned at the elephant position only prior to the signing of Peppers.

15. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +2,904
    I think that’s right. Sports writers seem to be assuming (and so was I) that because before Peppers’ signing, Perry and Neal were "assigned" to the elephant spot by McCarthy, the same would be true after the signing. This is the closest I could find to a McCarthy quote after the signing. It’s in Wilde’s column:
    http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=13751&is_corp=1

Regarding how many of the 20 make it, I see 5 locks: Lacy, Bakhtiari, Hyde, Jones, and Tretter. In the ‘very good chance to make it’ I would list Barrington, Bostick, Boyd, and Mulumba. That’s nine. I think Harris and Franklin are fighting for one spot and that’s 10. Taylor has a shot to back up on the OL, Banjo may be fighting with Richardson for the last safety spot. Palmer and Stoneburner are at crowded positions. Dorsey, Harper and White will probably battle Janis for one spot if they keep 6 WRs. Hill and Tiller are the longest of long shots so I would agree about 10 is correct. If I had to bet, I'd bet over but only expect it to be 11 or 12 making it.

16. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +992
    Which 2nd yr player do you think will make the biggest jump from his rookie season?

Micah Hyde

Eddie. Lacy

Dhaytone Jones

I'm going to shock some people and say Micah Hyde. I like the way he plays the game...he tackles, and he can play all over the secondary. Remind you of a former Packer? People are automatically penciling HaHa in as the starting FS but I'm not on the bandwagon. I haven't seen the guy play a single down in the NFL but I've seen Hyde play, and play well. You can tell he's bulked up over the off season and that my friends isn't by accident. I think going into this new year Capers has many intentions on Hyde being on the field. Just because a guy is drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean he's a lock to start. Jones is a perfect example of that. By the end of the season if he stays healthy I expect Hyde to have played his way into a starting role without any question. Corner isn't out of the question either with Williams nearing the end of his contract.

• Like Like x 1
  17. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,966
    Jack had a thread already, so I merged yours with his

18. AKCheese

AKCheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +109
    Gil Brandt pegs Jones as one of the NFLs 2nd year players ready to make a huge jump.

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,154
    I really think a lot of people overrate Hyde´s play from last season. He did pretty well for a rookie fifth round pick, no doubt about that, but he didn´t do anything special either. I expect him to be mainly the dime corner in 2014 and the primary backup behind Hayward in the slot and Clinton-Dix at FS.

20. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Datone has some LB in him, and he had real trouble keeping weight on last year, which dropped his effectiveness from the DE position.

Also, Bakhtiari put on some weight. Good.

21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,154
    I hope the ankle injury he suffered in training camp was the main reason for losing his effectiveness. I don´t think there´s any plan to move Datone to LB.

22. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    [​IMG]
    Boyd looks HUGE.

23. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    If his ankle injury was bad enough to ruin him for an entire year with his limited snaps, then he may never be effective again. I don't think there's plans for him to move, just plans for him to bulk up past the 285 he said would be the max he plays at. He played better when heavy during that weight flux. I also think that ankle had more than a little to do with said flux.

24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Don´t know if the Packers want him to bulk up either as it seems like they want more athletic guys on the DL.

25. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175
    I would love to see Jones be the guy to make the jump. I see his realistic potential being a Cameron Jordan type DE. Their size and measurables are very similar (assuming Jones can keep his weight at 285) Jordan has freakishly long arms and huge hands though, where Jones only has good size arms and hands for a DE. The long arms and hands help Jordan disengaged from blocks, something's Jones has always struggled with. If Jones can learn to get off blocks like Jordan his ability as a complete 3-4 DE (instead of just a situational pass rusher) would be much better. I believe if Jones learns to do this this year the Packers defense will take a huge leap forward, especially with the expected improvement at safety with either Dix or Hyde maning the backfield instead of Jennings.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014