Making the Jump

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Bakhtiari, Banjo, Barrington, Bostick, Boyd, Dorsey, Franklin, Harper, Harris, Hill, Hyde, Jones (Datone),
Lacy, Mulumba, Palmer, Stoneburner, Taylor (Lane), Tiller, Tretter, White (Myles).

Recognize this list?

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari, Banjo, Barrington, Bostick, Boyd, Dorsey, Franklin, Harper, Harris, Hill, Hyde, Jones (Datone),
Lacy, Mulumba, Palmer, Stoneburner, Taylor (Lane), Tiller, Tretter, White (Myles).
Good post.

Bakhtiari, Banjo, Hyde, Jones, Lacy, Mulumba, Tretter, Taylor, and White are my thoughts on who will make the jump in Year 2.

I love your comment at the end about draft and develop. Forum members tend to get mad at TTs strategy, but it's really the coaching staff's job to do the development. That's easier said than done but you've got to develop and mold these kids into players. That's been the genius of Bill Belichek all of these years. He develops no-name players into NFLers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect Datone Jones and Boyd to make the biggest jump this season, Bakhtiari to improve as well and Tretter starting although he´s in a different sitaution than all the other because of missing all of last season. I´m worried about Franklin´s neck injury as he wasn´t able to participate in today´s OTA practice.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is from the Ketchman story on today's OTAs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Some other tidbits from today´s OTA practice:

Matthews, Perry, Franklin, Quarless and Bostick all were in attendance but didn´t practice. Worthy (personal reasons), Adams and Thornton (both at NFL rookie premiere, kind of an odd date to hold it this week) not in attendance.

Flynn lined up as #2 QB with Sherrod at LT and Barclay at RT. Peppers practiced with the OLB in individual drills. Defense has implemented a new takeaway period during practice.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Making the defensive schemes less complicated should certainly help the players on defense make the jump.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some other tidbits from today´s OTA practice:

Matthews, Perry, Franklin, Quarless and Bostick all were in attendance but didn´t practice. Worthy (personal reasons), Adams and Thornton (both at NFL rookie premiere, kind of an odd date to hold it this week) not in attendance.

Flynn lined up as #2 QB with Sherrod at LT and Barclay at RT. Peppers practiced with the OLB in individual drills. Defense has implemented a new takeaway period during practice.
Any idea why Quarless and Bostick didn't participate?
I haven't been able to find anything regarding these 2 birds.

D

Deleted member 6794

Any idea why Quarless and Bostick didn't participate?
I haven't been able to find anything regarding these 2 birds.

The Packers don't release any information about injured players during OTAs, but I assume Bostick missing practice had to do with the foot surgery he had after being injured in Week 15 last season. No idea why Q didn't paricipate last week.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't release any information about injured players during OTAs, but I assume Bostick missing practice had to do with the foot surgery he had after being injured in Week 15 last season. No idea why Q didn't paricipate last week.
Okay.
Thanks for the reply.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Datone Jones and Boyd to make the biggest jump this season, Bakhtiari to improve as well and Tretter starting although he´s in a different sitaution than all the other because of missing all of last season. I´m worried about Franklin´s neck injury as he wasn´t able to participate in today´s OTA practice.

Jones might take a while, wouldn't be surprised if they groomed him as an elephant end in waiting behind Herr Peppers.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In a recent interview in front of his locker, on the subject of the progress of younger players Aaron Rodgers said, “There’s often big jumps between years one and two and years two and three”.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Bakhtiari, Banjo, Barrington, Bostick, Boyd, Dorsey, Franklin, Harper, Harris, Hill, Hyde, Jones (Datone), Lacy, Mulumba, Palmer, Stoneburner, Taylor (Lane), Tiller, Tretter, White (Myles).

I'd put the over/under on how many of those even make the team at 50%...10 of 20 guys.

As an aside, I recall Perry being mentioned at the elephant position only prior to the signing of Peppers.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Regarding how many of the 20 make it, I see 5 locks.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which 2nd yr player do you think will make the biggest jump from his rookie season?

Micah Hyde

Eddie. Lacy

Dhaytone Jones

I'm going to shock some people and say Micah Hyde. I like the way he plays the game...he tackles, and he can play all over the secondary. Remind you of a former Packer? People are automatically penciling HaHa in as the starting FS but I'm not on the bandwagon. I haven't seen the guy play a single down in the NFL but I've seen Hyde play, and play well. You can tell he's bulked up over the off season and that my friends isn't by accident. I think going into this new year Capers has many intentions on Hyde being on the field. Just because a guy is drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean he's a lock to start. Jones is a perfect example of that. By the end of the season if he stays healthy I expect Hyde to have played his way into a starting role without any question. Corner isn't out of the question either with Williams nearing the end of his contract.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Which 2nd yr player do you think will make the biggest jump from his rookie season?

Micah Hyde

Eddie. Lacy

Dhaytone Jones

I'm going to shock some people and say Micah Hyde. I like the way he plays the game...he tackles, and he can play all over the secondary. Remind you of a former Packer? People are automatically penciling HaHa in as the starting FS but I'm not on the bandwagon. I haven't seen the guy play a single down in the NFL but I've seen Hyde play, and play well. You can tell he's bulked up over the off season and that my friends isn't by accident. I think going into this new year Capers has many intentions on Hyde being on the field. Just because a guy is drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean he's a lock to start. Jones is a perfect example of that. By the end of the season if he stays healthy I expect Hyde to have played his way into a starting role without any question. Corner isn't out of the question either with Williams nearing the end of his contract.

Jack had a thread already, so I merged yours with his

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gil Brandt pegs Jones as one of the NFLs 2nd year players ready to make a huge jump.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really think a lot of people overrate Hyde´s play from last season. He did pretty well for a rookie fifth round pick, no doubt about that, but he didn´t do anything special either. I expect him to be mainly the dime corner in 2014 and the primary backup behind Hayward in the slot and Clinton-Dix at FS.

D

Deleted member 6794

Datone has some LB in him, and he had real trouble keeping weight on last year, which dropped his effectiveness from the DE position.

I hope the ankle injury he suffered in training camp was the main reason for losing his effectiveness. I don´t think there´s any plan to move Datone to LB.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I hope the ankle injury he suffered in training camp was the main reason for losing his effectiveness. I don´t think there´s any plan to move Datone to LB.
If his ankle injury was bad enough to ruin him for an entire year with his limited snaps, then he may never be effective again. I don't think there's plans for him to move, just plans for him to bulk up past the 285 he said would be the max he plays at. He played better when heavy during that weight flux. I also think that ankle had more than a little to do with said flux.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think there's plans for him to move, just plans for him to bulk up past the 285 he said would be the max he plays at.

Don´t know if the Packers want him to bulk up either as it seems like they want more athletic guys on the DL.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see Jones be the guy to make the jump. I see his realistic potential being a Cameron Jordan type DE. Their size and measurables are very similar (assuming Jones can keep his weight at 285) Jordan has freakishly long arms and huge hands though, where Jones only has good size arms and hands for a DE. The long arms and hands help Jordan disengaged from blocks, something's Jones has always struggled with. If Jones can learn to get off blocks like Jordan his ability as a complete 3-4 DE (instead of just a situational pass rusher) would be much better. I believe if Jones learns to do this this year the Packers defense will take a huge leap forward, especially with the expected improvement at safety with either Dix or Hyde maning the backfield instead of Jennings.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts