1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lombardi grave story

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Poppa San, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +184
    Walk down the memory lane!

3. AKCheese

AKCheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +146
    Today is the 57 Anniversary of signing Lombardi to coach the Packers. Should be a state holiday!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    One of my favorite little-known stories about Lombardi is about his success as the basketball coach at St. Celilia's. Since he never played it and never coached it previously he went to the library to check out books on the subject of coaching BB. His teams won 65% of their games and won a state championship. And then there's this from the 'ripples in the pond' version of a coaching tree:
    From the link in the OP.

5. Twiddlemylobes

Twiddlemylobes Fat Tuesday Orleans

Ratings:
    +522
    Pretty neat

6. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Good link. Thanks.

I'm actually commenting on your avatar. The trophy that I too was convinced was the actual trophy given to the Pack after the first "Super Bowl". Then, you see the picture of Rozelle handing Lombardi the now-known-as-Lombardi Trophy further down in the story you link to.

Of course, the Packer Hall has duplicate trophies in it, the originals are in the executive offices from what I understand...but that FIRST trophy...also on display in the Packer Hall contained in your avatar -- I can't find a real link to the story of that trophy. You have anything on that?

I also noted at the refurbished Hall of Fame that they have replicas of the Ed Thorp Trophies --they have to be replicas just wayyyyy tooooo shiny silver -- on a display in the same room as the Lombardis which was really cool ... but, they only have 8 Thorp Trophies displayed as I recall counting ...

7. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I took the picture while the Packers HOF was being rebuilt during the most recent upgrade. Selected portions were moved to the Neville Museum downtown GB for the duration. I don't know much more that that about this trophy. I do know the Vikings were last in possession of the 60's era NFL title trophy. It was a traveling trophy that they "misplaced."

8. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    It's apparent that losing the Thorp trophy condemned the Vikings franchise to eternal losing....