Lions studs and duds

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again. You should not play a player simply because he makes more money than his backup. The head coach should do what is best for the team. If you made a mistake fiscally; you don't compound it by making another mistake on the field. Not just Rodgers. Anybody. It probably has something to do with coaches/GMs not wanting to look bad.

You honestly think Love is a better player in 2023 than Rodgers?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you expound upon the terrible coaching? Because simply saying it without backing it up is meaningless. As for them being the WORST defense in the NFL. Shouldn't a $50M quarterback light that team up? Maybe someone needs to ask Rodgers why he likes to throw to Kerby Joseph so much.

Terrible coaching example #1...you line up in zone when your season depends on you stopping the opposing team from gaining 3 yards

I wanted to the Packers to draft Kerby Joeseph...he's a very good player that may have something to do with it

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4th and 1 at your own 32..you call an end around to lazard that losses 1 yard. Their whole redzone offense..they had 1st and goal at the 5..yet settle for a fg. They couldnt come up with a solid game plan with playoffs on the line..against the worst defense in the nfl.Lafleur has been an nfl head coach for 4 seasons..yet coaches like a rookie at times!

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not pounding them up front with dillion and Jones was also stupid. Put in an extra olineman if you have to. They don't call crossing routes. They barely ever use the screen. If your qb is going rogue and throwing haymakers..grow a pair and put
him in his place!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4th and 1 at your own 32..you call an end around to lazard that losses 1 yard.
MLF did not make that call. That was an audible by Rodgers. "Chill Alaska! Chill Alaska!" He should have audibled to a QB sneak instead and got the first down himself.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares who called it..Lafleur is ultimately the guy who comes up with these plays. Why go for it there anyway? It's not like they were converting 80% of their 4th downs. They didn't need to stoke the fire there..a punt would have been just fine. It's not like he's some offensive genius either..his offense has been pretty bland.

Reaction score
Not pounding them up front with dillion and Jones was also stupid. Put in an extra olineman if you have to. They don't call crossing routes. They barely ever use the screen. If your qb is going rogue and throwing haymakers..grow a pair and put
him in his place!

We are down by 4 points needing a TD to go up by 3pts. You have a
1st n 10 play and this Defensive unit leaning late in the 4th quarter when Defenses start to tire some. You also get 3 Timeouts and the 2-min warning. While sometimes you can get a quick strike TD, even if you did you wouldn’t necessarily Win this game going up best case by 3 points. There is zero risk of NOT running your 2-minute Offense at this field n clock position as there is still more than enough time to stay patient and burn :90 sec getting a first down. As long as we’re around midfield at the 2-min warning we’re fully in the drivers seat.
You also do not need a Timeout for ST here as 3pt FG is irrelevant.
So That’s essentially 4 minutes to score and you can use 4 separate clock stops. Its essentially 4-down territory if you pick up at least 8 yards in 3 tries.

This is the look the Lions give you (for once)with a light box and anything past 3 yards per play is a statistical Win. You’d ideally like to break mid-field using no more than 1 timeout and that 2-minute stop. Why would you throw the ball anywhere near the sideline?? You’re ideally calling plays by not looking to score quickly. This is still an ideal scenario for a short 5 yard throw or running the ball
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares who called it..Lafleur is ultimately the guy who comes up with these plays.
Presumably you do. You clearly criticized the idea of calling an end around run to Lazard on 4th and inches. That call was 100% Rodgers yet you want to absolve him of any responsibility.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4th and 1 at your own 32..you call an end around to lazard that losses 1 yard. Their whole redzone offense..they had 1st and goal at the 5..yet settle for a fg.

And why did they settle for a FG? Because Rodgers completely missed a wide open AJ Dillon. He was close enough that he could have flipped the ball to him, but he throws it way behind him. But in your mind that's a playcalling problem? No, that's a QB problem.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you expound upon the terrible coaching? Because simply saying it without backing it up is meaningless. As for them being the WORST defense in the NFL. Shouldn't a $50M quarterback light that team up? Maybe someone needs to ask Rodgers why he likes to throw to Kerby Joseph so much.

I realize that some people like to blame everything on Rodgers but can we at least pretend that the offensive line having perhaps their worst game of the season impacted some things? That Jones deciding to cough the ball up impacted the offense in a negative fashion? That numerous dropped passes might have also been a net negative?

Was Rodgers good during this game? Maybe if he had been 20 of 27 for 250 yards and two TDs, no interceptions we'd be looking at it differently; but AJ Dillon blew an easy block and the pressure up the middle affected Rodger's pass to Watson, turns into an INT. Doubs, Dillon, and Lazard all dropped passes that shut down drives and lead to punts. When the Packers had an oline that was playing well and the best receiver in the league, the offense could withstand the occasional mishap. Playing with an oline that was playing like a JV squad and some odd playcalls (who calls a jet sweep for Lazard?!) I'm not sure how any rational person could point to the loss and blame just one person.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that is true..however Lafleur needs to come up with better redzone plays. Yeah they tried with Bakhtiari in Detroit. You see other teams getting creative. Seems like ours are all the same..run for 1 yd..run for no yds..3 straight pass plays..maybe it's Rodgers...who knows. Lafleur gets outcoached bad in big games. He needs to go over every part of his offense and right the ship...or next season will be the same.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that is true..however Lafleur needs to come up with better redzone plays. Yeah they tried with Bakhtiari in Detroit. You see other teams getting creative. Seems like ours are all the same..run for 1 yd..run for no yds..3 straight pass plays..maybe it's Rodgers...who knows. Lafleur gets outcoached bad in big games. He needs to go over every part of his offense and right the ship...or next season will be the same.
MLF has been running a compromised offense that is a hybrid between what he wanted to bring in and what Rodgers wants to do, all just to keep Rodgers happy. I would LOVE (pun intended) to see what his offense looks like without the compromises and concessions.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe that's where the disconnect is. I definitely want to see the offense with love, yet still not sold on Lafleurs big game coaching ability. The only problem is the cap he'll they are facing with Rodgers..he's kinda holding them hostage. I know Love is Lafleurs choice..he was very happy when they drafted him.

Reaction score
I realize that some people like to blame everything on Rodgers but can we at least pretend that the offensive line having perhaps their worst game of the season impacted some things? That Jones deciding to cough the ball up impacted the offense in a negative fashion? That numerous dropped passes might have also been a net negative?

Was Rodgers good during this game? Maybe if he had been 20 of 27 for 250 yards and two TDs, no interceptions we'd be looking at it differently; but AJ Dillon blew an easy block and the pressure up the middle affected Rodger's pass to Watson, turns into an INT. Doubs, Dillon, and Lazard all dropped passes that shut down drives and lead to punts. When the Packers had an oline that was playing well and the best receiver in the league, the offense could withstand the occasional mishap. Playing with an oline that was playing like a JV squad and some odd playcalls (who calls a jet sweep for Lazard?!) I'm not sure how any rational person could point to the loss and blame just one person.
While I agree it is not 1 single persons fault in losing. That is not excuse to not manage the clock properly using down n distance. That falls on the Playcaller/QB and the other 10 players have zero say in that. I’ve seen evidence of this all season and we took sacks at the edge of FG range as if we did t think their DC knew what yard line we were on. Those aren’t areas of the field you dance around in the pocket and even a novice fan can figure that out. If you want to throw that’s a 5 yard slant type play not a 3-4 read let me try to make chicken salad. Throw it away if you have to for in a low scoring game it’s essential to come away with points. Unless you’re in Love with Pat O’Donnelle

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe that's where the disconnect is. I definitely want to see the offense with love, yet still not sold on Lafleurs big game coaching ability. The only problem is the cap he'll they are facing with Rodgers..he's kinda holding them hostage. I know Love is Lafleurs choice..he was very happy when they drafted him.
Yeah, that Rodgers extension last year made me cringe. I just think MLF deserves a couple seasons to show whether he can groom Love to be our next potential HOF QB, like McCarthy had the opportunity to do with Rodgers, Holmgren did with Favre, and Lombardi did with Starr. It's kind of the Packer way, you might say.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst part was the wilson trade. Trading Rodgers to Denver would have gotten Fant and Richardson..two guys who would have been immediate upgrades at their positions. Plus Drew Lock to backup Love.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, Rodgers worst performance in a playoff game came in the NFCCG at Chicago in 2010. With him being surrounded by a ton of talent the Packers were able to win that one though.
Good point. I have a theory he may have got a concussion on that TD run he had early, but I forgot about that game.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point. I have a theory he may have got a concussion on that TD run he had early, but I forgot about that game.
Wasnt just your theory..I think they ( packers) had to answer all sort of questions about him.

He had one earlier in season, think Flynn played vs Pats

"First, Rodgers says he didn't sustain a concussion on a helmet-to-helmet hit from Chicago Bears lineman Julius Peppers in Sunday's NFC championship game victory. He believes his new helmet may have helped prevent another head injury."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
him in his place!

They did that in the first half. It didn't work well because the oline was terrible.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely time to find out.

Hint, he's not. Even thinking to compare a player who has never started consistently to a guy who just won back-to-back MVPs and played most of the year with only four fingers (and still played fairly well compared to the rest of the league) is just not fair to Love. You're only setting him up to fail unless he shocks the world and turns into Mahomes, in which case I will be happily wrong.

I get wanting to move on and take the cap hit and start a rebuild but anyone who thinks Love is going to be an above-average QB his first year as the starter with one good receiver (maybe two if Doubs can improve his strength substantially), multiple questions on the oline, and potentially without Jones is not in touch with reality.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah 1 more year with Rodgers I say...then find out if Love is 3 in a row. 25 to 40 still gives em 15 seasons of Love
Assuming the Packers are picking up Love's 5th year (and I'm pretty sure they are) then that would leave only season with him as the starter. If he has a good or great year as a first year starter, then you're in a free agency bidding war for him. If you start him next year and move on from Rodgers, it gives you a chance to sign him to an extension before his second season is over. From a management perspective, it makes no sense to wait until his last year to name him the starter.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming the Packers are picking up Love's 5th year (and I'm pretty sure they are) then that would leave only season with him as the starter. If he has a good or great year as a first year starter, then you're in a free agency bidding war for him. If you start him next year and move on from Rodgers, it gives you a chance to sign him to an extension before his second season is over. From a management perspective, it makes no sense to wait until his last year to name him the starter.

From a management sense it makes sense to put the best team on the field that you can in any given season.

Rodgers right now represents that...could Love be the 3rd Fhof Packers qb in a row? Absolutely...but lets remember Rodgers first season as a starter. It was obvious right away that Rodgers was the real deal. But the team still finished that seaaon 6 -10

Your logic on paying Love makes no sense. If you play Love in 2023 and he balls out...you think hes gonna take a low ball contract extension because he has one year remaing on his current deal? They absolutely are going to exercise that 5th year option no matter if they plan to keep him or trade him.

It makes no difference monetarily to start Love in 2023 or make him wait til 2024 to take over the team. Either way if he's that good that he's looking like 3 in a row...youre gonna have to pay him top dollar qb money. Thats just the way it goes...if you wanna have a top 5 qb in the league you gotta pay em. No escaping that but thats best case scenario. We want Love to be ao good we have to pay him Rodgers money. Even Tom Brady with the narrative that he takes less to help the team, is getting fckn paid

Members online

Latest posts