Linebackers

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vs Detroit, Keke had twice as many snaps as Lancaster and one more than Lowry. Adams is on IR. What game did you watch? The week b4, Lowry had a few more but Lancaster was still quite a bit fewer.

I meant last year. I thought Keke deserved to be out there more by about Week 9 or so compared to Lancaster or Adams.

You've mentioned why I made a note of player development in Pettine's unit, because in Capers defenses following our Super Bowl win there wasn't any and some of our draftees from 11 through 17 had more success elsewhere than in GB. Perhaps it was the scouting but during that same time period with the lion share going to the defensive side of the ball our offensive draft picks were turning out nicely with players like Bakh Adams Lacy Aaron Jones, Corey Linsley etc. So if one side of the ball is doing more with less and the other side of the ball is basically a black hole for draft capital does that not suggest that the coaching staff on defense was performing poorly in the development of the talent they were receiving? In comparison yes our defensive players selected in the Gute era have been markedly better. But is that better scouting, despite many of the same minds being in the draft room, or is that better development?

We haven't had a DC in Capers or Pettine who I believe is key in the development of these players. I haven't heard of anyone in the last 10 years leaving the Packers defensive staff or even interviewing for higher level positions.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King has a tackling problem too. I saw a couple of occasions where he made the contact, but was just bounced off without impact.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King has a tackling problem too. I saw a couple of occasions where he made the contact, but was just bounced off without impact.
I'm less concerned about King, long, lanky and with bad shoulders exposing himself against running backs and more concerned that our starting ILB bounces off WR's because he won't wrap up.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm less concerned about King, long, lanky and with bad shoulders exposing himself against running backs and more concerned that our starting ILB bounces off WR's because he won't wrap up.
Agreed... Kirksey is a liability.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King has a big problem with very quick receivers. The scheme needs to change for him not to be in that situation. Or just take him out of the game if Pettine can't find a way to do that.

D

Deleted member 6794

King has a big problem with very quick receivers. The scheme needs to change for him not to be in that situation. Or just take him out of the game if Pettine can't find a way to do that.

The Packers don't have enough talent at cornerback to keep King off the field consistently.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't have enough talent at cornerback to keep King off the field consistently.
Right, but they can't afford for him to lose plays either. He just cannot watch guys that are really quick. Maybe they can move him around so he is one on one with their best receiver that is not small and quick. Even if that means moving Jaire sometimes to the other side of the field. Pettine should try something different so as to help out King in those line-ups. imho

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, but they can't afford for him to lose plays either. He just cannot watch guys that are really quick. Maybe they can move him around so he is one on one with their best receiver that is not small and quick. Even if that means moving Jaire sometimes to the other side of the field. Pettine should try something different so as to help out King in those line-ups. imho

I'm not suggesting King is an elite cornerback by any means but aside of Alexander the Packers don't have a better one.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kirksey had a couple plays and hits where I was thinking it was someone else till I caught his number. However, rewatching those moments, he still shoulder hit tackled. He doesn't wrap up. Kirksey again was a injury gamble, still isn't old and coming off an injury that 50/50 guys pull through. Kirksey's body just isn't capable of what his mind is any longer I fear and continues to illustrate it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kirksey had a couple plays and hits where I was thinking it was someone else till I caught his number. However, rewatching those moments, he still shoulder hit tackled. He doesn't wrap up. Kirksey again was a injury gamble, still isn't old and coming off an injury that 50/50 guys pull through. Kirksey's body just isn't capable of what his mind is any longer I fear and continues to illustrate it.
it's never a good sign when a linebacker bounces off a smaller WR and lets them go for another 15 yards because he couldn't wrap up or blow him up.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's never a good sign when a linebacker bounces off a smaller WR and lets them go for another 15 yards because he couldn't wrap up or blow him up.

To be fair that one play, both GB players hit - didn't wrap and in essence cancelled eachother's contact out. If just one of the idiots use their arms that play doesn't happen. It is FRUSTRATING the lack of hit and wrap tackling techniques in the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair that one play, both GB players hit - didn't wrap and in essence cancelled eachother's contact out. If just one of the idiots use their arms that play doesn't happen. It is FRUSTRATING the lack of hit and wrap tackling techniques in the game.
You're a linebacker, YOU make the tackle. Always. It's in your DNA to hit and bury people. They go nowhere, they stop when they meet you. I don't see that mentality with him. I do see it come out with Kamal and Barnes, though they still have a lot to learn about the game. At least they have the make up for it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're a linebacker, YOU make the tackle. Always. It's in your DNA to hit and bury people. They go nowhere, they stop when they meet you. I don't see that mentality with him. I do see it come out with Kamal and Barnes, though they still have a lot to learn about the game. At least they have the make up for it.

I am 100% agreeing with you, but even the safety/corner also takes blame there. BOTH sucked on that play plain and simple.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 100% in the camp play HEAVY Barnes/Kamal snaps. Let the growing pains happen, while we are winning. I hope for a SERIOUS dose of them this week against Henry...er...I mean the Titans.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 100% in the camp play HEAVY Barnes/Kamal snaps. Let the growing pains happen, while we are winning. I hope for a SERIOUS dose of them this week against Henry...er...I mean the Titans.
if the Titans were just Henry, I think we'd be ok, but they do have 2 really good receiving options as well. I mean I think they are I guess. I don't get to watch them that often, but they were making some tough and some big catches yesterday as well. Henry makes this machine go, no doubt, but they're going to give us a lot to worry about on defense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No you are correct, AJ Brown is a coverage nightmare and Corey Davis is NO SLOUCH either.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GBFO: What, why dont we just draft a punter in the bottom of the first.

I can find zero meanings for GBFO that are even mildly appropriate.....what did you mean?

Wusu, most likely doesn't make it out of the first 20 picks though. Dude is good, very good.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can find zero meanings for GBFO that are even mildly appropriate.....what did you mean?

Wusu, most likely doesn't make it out of the first 20 picks though. Dude is good, very good.

Green Bay Front Office, get your mind out of the gutter.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I already said once that just because the coach's feel that way; does not make it the correct decision. I also said that he should play more when we have the game in hand. In general, I never trust the coaches to pick the best players. Mainly they do, but I still have to see it myself. I will live with their decisions but then I guess you (I mean you Nick) have to say that Kirksey is the best we have because the coaches are playing him. I don't believe that. Something more realistic (to me) to say is that Pettine wanted Kirksey, Gute went and got him, and now Pettine feels like he has to play him. Also, Pettine being conservative (or scared) by nature, thinks Kirksey is safer. Not that I want Pettine to go with his all out blitzes because I don't think they are effective with him designing it.

I think coaches want to win and are going to play the best players. I do think Kirksey is our best ILB right now. It doesn't say much for that group. In the future I think that Martin and Barnes could be the guys. However, my guess is that we will have different ILB's next season. That is the weakest group of guys on the roster and they will address it somehow. Either way, out of our control.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think coaches want to win and are going to play the best players. I do think Kirksey is our best ILB right now. It doesn't say much for that group. In the future I think that Martin and Barnes could be the guys. However, my guess is that we will have different ILB's next season. That is the weakest group of guys on the roster and they will address it somehow. Either way, out of our control.

So you believe 2021, we won't have Kirksey, Barnes and Kamal. Sorry, I rarely say things in a definitive style but barring them all dying or career ending injuries 1, 2 or all 3 will be back.

Krabs

Reaction score
So you believe 2021, we won't have Kirksey, Barnes and Kamal. Sorry, I rarely say things in a definitive style but barring them all dying or career ending injuries 1, 2 or all 3 will be back.

Not what I meant. I think all of them will be back next season. They will bring in some different guys though, probably for Burks, and it is quite possible that whomever they bring in can beat out the guys on the current roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not what I meant. I think all of them will be back next season. They will bring in some different guys though, probably for Burks, and it is quite possible that whomever they bring in can beat out the guys on the current roster.

Gotcha, Kirksey really is the only one of the three I think may get cut. They may wait to see what they nab in the draft though...at $8M cap hit and a $2M dead cap number... he is a rather expensive backup/rotational guy to keep.

Krabs

Reaction score
Gotcha, Kirksey really is the only one of the three I think may get cut. They may wait to see what they nab in the draft though...at $8M cap hit and a $2M dead cap number... he is a rather expensive backup/rotational guy to keep.

Agreed, I think $2M of dead money to save $6M might be incentive enough to get rid of him. The way the cap is though it's hard to guess what really is going to happen with rosters. Burks and Summers are actually pretty inexpensive guys and decent special teamers on a bad special teams group. Who knows, I could be completely wrong and the ILB corps is exactly the same. Maybe the front office likes them and expects them to grow and have a better understanding of the defense next season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts