lets be optimistic for a change....

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Granted, we all loved the roll we had been on but maybe this game will bring the pack back down to earth. it almost seemed like the offense was playing too cocky to me and the defense does good against "bad opponents" but when they are forced to play it is a different story. I can honestly say this will be a turning point for them.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, I don't think I can feel optimistic again until we beat a tough team on the road.
They need to prove themselves.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
offense wasn't the problem, refs was calling momentum breaking calls. The Defense oh boy now thats another story, our inside LBs need to fill gaps and do a lot better. No pressure on the qb leaving the db's out to dry. through it all I'm loving the way HA HA is playing him and guion can't do it all.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, honestly we cannot blame the refs on this one. I must preface by saying I don't think the season is over nor to I believe the sky is falling. Trust me, I bleed green and gold through and through. However, I am continually worried about a few trends. I apologize if I any of this seems repetitive.

1.) It's baffling how consistent this team is by not showing up to big games, having trouble with mediocre teams, and REALLY struggling with competitive playoff teams. This has been going on for quite some time.

2.) Our wide receivers really struggle getting open during certain games. There have been a lot of coverage sacks on this team. Granted a fair share are Rodger's fault, but man, for the praise this squad gets, I feel someone should be open almost every play. Is it really this impossible for Aaron to find the open route?

3.) F this defense. You never know what you're going to get! You need to play consistent football and these guys do not show up in the games we really need them. This has been going on for many years now as well. I'm not laying blame right now, but it needs to be fixed.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be optimistic. Everything is still in front of us. For the playoffs we have to:

1. Win the NFC North
-Detroit leads this by a game with a victory over us. However, we get them Week 17 at home. I know they are missing some key players, but they aren't exactly rolling right now. They have some tough games in November. Dolphins, Cardinals and Patriots are all teams who could disrupt Detroit and potentially lead to a huge week 17 showdown at Lambeau.

OR

2. Get one of the two wildcard spots
-Let's look at the teams that are currently in that fight for two of those spots with us. First, you have Philly. They currently have two losses and will be playing us in a few weeks. That will be a big game. Next, we have San Francisco and Seattle. Both of these teams sitting at 3 losses just like us. Well, there's some great news. These two teams have to play each other TWICE still. They'll either both be losing another game or one of them will be losing 2 games.

In other words, 5-3 going into a bye with 8 games remaining is not a bad spot to be in. We come back against a Bears team, which is struggling, and the game is at home. Everything is still in front of us.

Bottom line, we do not have a ton of ground to make up. Actually, 1 week could change everything. And if 1 week changes everything.....think about the fact we still have 9 weeks left in the season.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, honestly we cannot blame the refs on this one. I must preface by saying I don't think the season is over nor to I believe the sky is falling. Trust me, I bleed green and gold through and through. However, I am continually worried about a few trends. I apologize if I any of this seems repetitive.

1.) It's baffling how consistent this team is by not showing up to big games, having trouble with mediocre teams, and REALLY struggling with competitive playoff teams. This has been going on for quite some time.

2.) Our wide receivers really struggle getting open during certain games. There have been a lot of coverage sacks on this team. Granted a fair share are Rodger's fault, but man, for the praise this squad gets, I feel someone should be open almost every play. Is it really this impossible for Aaron to find the open route?

3.) F this defense. You never know what you're going to get! You need to play consistent football and these guys do not show up in the games we really need them. This has been going on for many years now as well. I'm not laying blame right now, but it needs to be fixed.
I was having hopes for this team.
Now those are gone.
If this very same team cannot beat a losing team on the road, then it looks like we will have yet another *SIGH* one and done playoff game.
The Packers have got to start wanting it more as they did in 2010 and playing each game like that.
I hope I am proven wrong and they do get into the SB.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be optimistic. Everything is still in front of us. For the playoffs we have to:

1. Win the NFC North
-Detroit leads this by a game with a victory over us. However, we get them Week 17 at home. I know they are missing some key players, but they aren't exactly rolling right now. They have some tough games in November. Dolphins, Cardinals and Patriots are all teams who could disrupt Detroit and potentially lead to a huge week 17 showdown at Lambeau.

OR

2. Get one of the two wildcard spots
-Let's look at the teams that are currently in that fight for two of those spots with us. First, you have Philly. They currently have two losses and will be playing us in a few weeks. That will be a big game. Next, we have San Francisco and Seattle. Both of these teams sitting at 3 losses just like us. Well, there's some great news. These two teams have to play each other TWICE still. They'll either both be losing another game or one of them will be losing 2 games.

In other words, 5-3 going into a bye with 8 games remaining is not a bad spot to be in. We come back against a Bears team, which is struggling, and the game is at home. Everything is still in front of us.

Bottom line, we do not have a ton of ground to make up. Actually, 1 week could change everything. And if 1 week changes everything.....think about the fact we still have 9 weeks left in the season.
I would love to have hopes that this will not be another "One and done" playoff team.
But from what I saw today, I'm dreading that they will be again.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to have hopes that this will not be another "One and done" playoff team.

Based off tonight, no, there isn't much anyone could say as of now to prove that there isn't that possibility. But as we know, all that matters is who is hot at the end. Packers have done it and won a SB. NY did it and won a SB, too. So that's just something we will face later this season.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was having hopes for this team.
Now those are gone.
If this very same team cannot beat a losing team on the road, then it looks like we will have yet another *SIGH* one and done playoff game.
The Packers have got to start wanting it more as they did in 2010 and playing each game like that.
I hope I am proven wrong and they do get into the SB.

Well, I'm not saying hope is gone. All I'm saying is these are trends that need to be acted upon in order to be a successful playoff team.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still optimistic, making the playoffs is the biggest thing for me, as when there anything can happen. The defence is learning a new scheme, a few injuries in the secondary, so there are gonna be off days. MM made some strange calls and rodgers hamstring didnt help. We'll still take the north

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the NFL, where things change week to week, it doesn't make sense to judge things based on one game.

Bengals lost 27-0 last week and beat the Ravens this week. Seattle was dominate week 1 and haven't been the same since. Patriots dominated by the Chiefs and then win in a blow out the next week.

Just have to get to playoffs and go from there.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to prove themselves.

I don't disagree... but... we can say the same about almost every team in the NFL this year other than maybe Dallas and Arizona. It's not like there are many teams lighting the world on fire. Good teams are losing to lesser teams every single week. It's a very odd year in the NFL. If for some ungodly reason we lose to the Bears in 2 weeks, I'll slam the panic button. Teams like Seattle and San Fran have been worse than the Packers at times this year in that they actually lost to pathetic teams.

One other note about the game yesterday. The tackling is beyond pathetic. I agree about that. The fact is however, on most of the longer pass plays we didn't have horrible coverage. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other team. If a QB is gonna drop balls in like that, it's almost impossible to defend that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The playoffs are not a guarantee...some Of you are talking like we will make the tournament, don't be sad to see us win 10 games and be watching come playoff time..that's a real possibility.

This defense is one of the worst tackling defenses I've ever seen. haha will make a play but then whiff on the next 2. He's not a great tackler and neither is a lot of guys on our defense. Packers need two new ilbs next season for sure. Lattimore is our best ilb.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why will we take the North? What makes you guys so sure? Because this isn't the same Lions team... They have come back two weeks in a row to win when they wouldn't have done that in previous years. I think some ppl are way to over confident that we will just win the division. If the Packers don't win the North they won't make the playoffs. Mark it down, save the thread, I don't care ...but I'm standing by this statement until the end. San Francisco is going to get Bowman and Willis back soon,Dallas and Arizona look to the real deal and Philly and Seattle aren't going anywhere. We need to finish 11-5

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why will we take the North? What makes you guys so sure? Because this isn't the same Lions team... They have come back two weeks in a row to win when they wouldn't have done that in previous years. I think some ppl are way to over confident that we will just win the division. If the Packers don't win the North they won't make the playoffs. Mark it down, save the thread, I don't care ...but I'm standing by this statement until the end. San Francisco is going to get Bowman and Willis back soon,Dallas and Arizona look to the real deal and Philly and Seattle aren't going anywhere. We need to finish 11-5

You mention Dallas, San Fran, Seattle, Philly and Arizona. 2 of those will be irrelevant because they will win their division. Seattle and San Fran have guaranteed losses coming up because they have to play each other twice. And we play Philly. So, it isn't like we have to hope anyone loses or gets upset 2 or 3 times, we basically are still in control. Just have to go out and do our thing.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Glad to not see the usual (Fire Capers) rants, the reality was put to the Packers at the start of game 1,take the division, and no more 1 and done, but I would not use the word struggle against good teams, I would say not (enough) talent to compete against the upper elites in the NFL, we have in my opinion the best QB in the league and some of the best receivers all around but someone on the Packers organization forgot that it takes 2 dimensions to win, Offense and Defense, the Packers will not be able to beat any of the top teams mentioned unless talent gaps are addressed, 1/2 the season is done and it's time to go from 1st gear to 5th, or we will not have to worry about 1 and done....

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree... but... we can say the same about almost every team in the NFL this year other than maybe Dallas and Arizona. It's not like there are many teams lighting the world on fire. Good teams are losing to lesser teams every single week. It's a very odd year in the NFL. If for some ungodly reason we lose to the Bears in 2 weeks, I'll slam the panic button. Teams like Seattle and San Fran have been worse than the Packers at times this year in that they actually lost to pathetic teams.

One other note about the game yesterday. The tackling is beyond pathetic. I agree about that. The fact is however, on most of the longer pass plays we didn't have horrible coverage. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other team. If a QB is gonna drop balls in like that, it's almost impossible to defend that.
I think we lost because of a combination of them playing better and us ******** up.
Their offense was fantastic and our d-fence was just horrible and missed tackles.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're looking for reasons to be optimistic besides the tired old lines like "it's only one game" or "it's only mid season, anything can happen", I'll give you two.
1)- It's been a crazy, up and down season. No one team- favorite or otherwise- has established itself as the team to beat. Everyone seems to have flaws and sruggle now and then.
2)- Look to the Colts. Red hot, 5 wins in a row, including last week's destruction of the Bengals. They were blown out and embarrassed by the Steelers yesterday in a fashion very similar in look and feel to the egg the Packers laid last night.
Then again, with the holes on this team and their inability to be even competitive in big games against upper level competition- see Seahawks, Lions, and Saints- I'm not even a little optimistic about a Super Bowl parade down Lombardi Ave next Febuary.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not even a little optimistic about a Super Bowl parade down Lombardi Ave next Febuary.

I would have said the same thing about the Super Bowl regarding the 2010 Packers, both the Giants recent titles and the 2012 Ravens. Those Ravens even finished the season 1-4 and got whipped at home against the Broncos before beating them in the divisional round in Denver. Denver was on and 11 game win streak too. Nobody thought they'd lose before the Super Bowl.

Get to the playoffs and anything can happen.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No , anything can't just happen. The playoffs are a different beast, and the best teams, barring something crazy, will win the vast majority of the time. Look at your own examples. All were very good teams who overcame early slumps to play up to their capabilities, and matched up very well against their playoff opponents.
This Packers team is Aaron Rodgers and not a whole lot else.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No , anything can't just happen. The playoffs are a different beast, and the best teams, barring something crazy, will win the vast majority of the time. Look at your own examples. All were very good teams who overcame early slumps to play up to their capabilities, and matched up very well against their playoff opponents.
This Packers team is Aaron Rodgers and not a whole lot else.

Of course those teams were good as they won it all, but they were the not the best. The Giants were not better than the 16-0 Patriots and 15-1 Packers. The 2010 Packers were the first 6th seed ever to win it from the NFC. And those Broncos didn't even come close to losing for about three months. Best team does not always win.

Patriots, Packers, and Broncos were all clear favorites to win it all, but did not. Anything can happen.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said the best teams win the vast majority of times; I'd say better than 90%.
Regular season records are pretty meaningless indicators of playoff success, especially in recent years with the overall balance.Also, to many variables. Who had injury problems during the season? Who had a tougher schedule, etc..
Favorites? The Colts were 19 1/2 point favorites over the Jets in SB3; only in retrospect did people begin to realize that the Jets were at least as good as the Colts, and a matchup nightmare for the Colts.
The Giants were a matchup nightmare for the Packers in 2011, and at least as good a team . They walked into Lambeau and beat the hell out of the Packers. That Packer team was exposed as Aaron Rodgers carrying a cast of mediocrities. That 15-1 record proved to be an illusion.

OP
OP
D

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats why i am trying to be optimistic. yes i really hate seeing the packers lose but hopefully this will bring them back down to earth and teach them that the game isnt as easy as they were making it. every team has their kryptonite it is just a learning experience on how to overcome it when (i.e. stopping jordy and losing a shootout)

Latest posts