Leroy Butler Speaks

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Read the whole article here:
LeRoy Butler analyzes the Vikings-Packers game - JSOnline

This sums up this management group:

Q. Do you think it would have sent a message if Mike McCarthy had benched defensive end Johnny Jolly for his head-butting penalty that gave the Vikings a first down after they had been stopped on third down? Or do you think that was just part of the game?

A. No. He has to go after him. He should have got right in his face and let him know the magnitude of it. But I think it's accepted. I think those plays are accepted. Jolly said, hey, that's how he plays. So the coaches know how he plays. They're not surprised that happened. The only one who was surprised is everyone in that stadium. But the coaches weren't surprised. You didn't see any coaches get all bent out of shape. They think it's part of football, just like they think the penalties are part of football. That's the system they play under, that they're going to make mistakes like that and they're OK with that. I don't know why you would be. To me, that's just accepting something that won't work. So you're basically telling me he can do it again and it's OK? I just know if that would have happened with coach Holmgren, he would have been all over you, he would have gotten in your face on national TV. He'd let you know, you can't do that.​
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Report to moderator 98.17.138.186 (?)

So I guess Leroy see's it.

Lone Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have officially joined the anti McCarthy crowd. I still support the Polar Bear though. I give him one year to revamp the oline. With that one problem excepted, (which really happened because Tauscher then Clifotn just wore out), he has done a pretty good job in assembling a lot of young talent.
But it is clear to me that we need a coach who can infuse the discipline and the fundamentals to realize that talent. When that happens--provided we revamp the oline--the long-term scheme of thngs look very bright.
And I will be here to call out the shameless Favre fawners, the Polar Bear naysayers, those who denied that Rodgers has the potential to be an elite franchise quarterback, and remind them that I wore #12 while they were cheering for a Vikings quarterback.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have officially joined the anti McCarthy crowd. I still support the Polar Bear though. I give him one year to revamp the oline. With that one problem excepted, (which really happened because Tauscher then Clifotn just wore out), he has done a pretty good job in assembling a lot of young talent.
But it is clear to me that we need a coach who can infuse the discipline and the fundamentals to realize that talent. When that happens--provided we revamp the oline--the long-term scheme of thngs look very bright.
And I will be here to call out the shameless Favre fawners, the Polar Bear naysayers, those who denied that Rodgers has the potential to be an elite franchise quarterback, and remind them that I wore #12 while they were cheering for a Vikings quarterback.

So do you write fan mail to TT asking for his used underroos?

Lone Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No and I cannot imagine why anyone would. Methinks you may be speaking from personal experience, however.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No and I cannot imagine why anyone would. Methinks you may be speaking from personal experience, however.

Well then you have fooled me. Well do you hold his picture in bed and cry yourself to sleep after the pack get beat?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow - I was pleasant surprised at the content. I was expecting another bitter former player bashing Brett Favre.

Butler is an example of somebody that was reared by actual parents. His is a dying breed.

OneHotelFoxtrot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad he said that. This is one of the things that bothers me about McCarthy, It's almost as if sometimes he shows no emotion about things. So therefore nothing gets done or changed. Ex. Penalties

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad he said that. This is one of the things that bothers me about McCarthy, It's almost as if sometimes he shows no emotion about things. So therefore nothing gets done or changed. Ex. Penalties

Mac's style reflects a change in our culture on the value of discipline and accountability. Blame liberals.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I don't understand why people are railing so much on McCarthy ... and still being able to exhonorate (sp?) Ted Thomson in the same breath ...

McCarthy has already shown what he is capable of as a coach, when he has a "Veteran Leader" on the team he is coaching ... (2007 season - 13-3) ...

McCarthy started after the 4-12 season, ending up 8-8 in the following year. Then coached the 13-3 team ...

I actually don't fault McCarthy as much for the 6-10 season because it was clear that *that* team was missing a vital leader ...

Given what he (McCarthy) has been given by his GM to work with ... I don't understand why everyone is calling for his head ... and not Ted Thomsons ...

Alas most of us know that the Coach is more likely to be fired before the GM ... but I just don't understand it ...

If McCarthy was given more support in terms of more FA acquisitions, I think the results would be different ...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I flew out of my chair on that play, wanted MM to bench Johnny Jolly the rest of the game. To watch MM do nothing about it, sums up the problem the Packers have with penalties and MM coaching style.

Johnny Jolly after the game said boastfully that was the way he plays with no remorse. It will be hard for me to continue to support this team until Johnny Jolly owns up to his mistake or MM does something about it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is too much of a ***** to go after anyone. Why I keep defending him is beyond me. Maybe because I want the Packers to win MORE THAN ANYTHING, NO MATTER WHO'S WITH THE TEAM OR WHO ISN'T. And that complaining won't help, except maybe for my nerves. Vent sometimes is necessary.

OneHotelFoxtrot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is too much of a ***** to go after anyone. Why I keep defending him is beyond me. Maybe because I want the Packers to win MORE THAN ANYTHING, NO MATTER WHO'S WITH THE TEAM OR WHO ISN'T. And that complaining won't help, except maybe for my nerves. Vent sometimes is necessary.

I agree 100% with this post. It does not matter really who is with us, I will most likely support them cause it's my team and I love the Pack, but McCarthy needs to do something to bring this team together NOW! Or this season will have no post-season just like last year.

Members online

Latest posts