Should NFL Implement Targeting Rule

• Yes

• No

• Yes but with tweaked rules

Results are only viewable after voting.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
We have seen time and time again where targeting has changed game, the rule should be changed to immediately being ejected, and suspended for at least 3 depending on the degree of the injury and more than 2 targeting with injury penalties should land that player a year long suspension, if the league is serious about protecting players prove it “fines” really do not put any fear in them what’s going to happen is teams will eventually retaliate, and players will get seriously injured,” if I had my,way which I don’t” you knock out one of my best guys with a target hit you lose one of yours for that game...

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
In College Football if there is a helmet to helmet hit it is reviewed and if it is egregious the player is ejected. Would this be a welcome change for the NFL or keep it as current under refs discretion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but they called a 15 yard penalty :sick: it should have been an immediate ejection and suspension

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if this is the discretion the refs are going to use, then yes, it needs to be changed because everything about that hit was dirty. No doubt about it. He went headhunting, and got one. He should have been ejected and at least 1 game suspension. At the very minimum. If they don't, they don't care.

OP
OP
melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
In College Football if there is a helmet to helmet hit it is reviewed and if it is egregious the player is ejected. Would this be a welcome change for the NFL or keep it as current under refs discretion.
Yes yes with habitual offenders facing long suspension and heavier fines that can’t be reduced in collective bargaining

OP
OP
melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
One thing for sure if Arod plays against The “M” team and players are targeted again well someone needs to send a message!!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember that earlier in the season, the Bear's linebacker Danny Trevathon targeted Adams with a dirty shot to the head knocking him unconscious. The league could have come down ******* him but he got away with a slap on the wrist. The other teams noticed and are taking dirty shots at the Packers best players to knock them out of the game. The leniency afforded the Bears has developed into a trend and don't hold your breath waiting for the league to fix it since they helped foster the open season mentality on taking out tbe Packers bext players.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Davis launched himself headfirst into Adams with his helmet. He knew what he was doing. It's really messed up tbh. If you can't beat a team with their best receiver on the field you can't beat them. What if we went after Newton's knees in this game? This season I've really been frustrated watching Adams/Rodgers get taken out and not seeing any retaliation. That should have been an ejection.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
habitual should be in line for 4,6-8 game suspensions. something as blatant as today's? easily a game suspension should be coming. That is if the league is serious about this. If they aren't, then nothing changes. The only thing bang/bang about this play was the snap to Adam's head by a cheap shot coming from a guy that should know better. He lined up him and took him out. Head hunting, want an example, that was it. Couldn't have been any more cheap

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are in a tough spot with Adams now. They HAVE to pay him, but they are also getting into Sam Shields territory with concussions. He's not going to have a long career at this rate.

OP
OP
melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
This safety for players is a big load! The name of the game is take out a key player you will only get a slap on the wrist, I wonder how these teams would police their own players if they were getting retaliation(s) for dirty hits and 1 or more of their key players were taken out..

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
NFL really needs to admonish the officials of this game. That is the type of hit they are trying to get rid of, A player is laid out. and the culprit still gets to play. There was time to discuss it. He should have been tossed.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In College Football if there is a helmet to helmet hit it is reviewed and if it is egregious the player is ejected. Would this be a welcome change for the NFL or keep it as current under referee's discretion?

Absolutely not! I have seen the wrong players get kicked out and targeting being confirmed despite the existence of conclusive evidence players were not trying to butt heads with opponients. When players are being thrown out for following perfect techniques that accidentally result in helmet collisions, targeting is the worst rule ever created.

BTW I am not condoning the hit that knocked out Devante Adams. If it was dirty, it should be more than 15 yards.

Last edited:

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes yes with habitual offenders facing long suspension and heavier fines that can’t be reduced in collective bargaining.

NFL rules can't discriminate for certain players during games. If a targeting rule was really a good idea, it would apply to every player who steps on the field. That said, I would love to see Vontaze Burfict get thrown out of a game because he deserves it.

The CBA does not determine how much players can be fined for illegal hits or unsportsmanlike conduct. It dictates who has the power to hand down those fines and suspensions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Absolutely not! I have seen the wrong players get kicked out and targeting being confirmed despite the existence of conclusive evidence players were not trying to butt heads with opponients. When players are being thrown out for following perfect techniques that accidentally result in helmet collisions, targeting is the worst rule ever created.
While there may be an example of that it’s the exception not the rule. In the Davante Adams case the player launched himself at Adams blindside at it was totally unnecessary. He couldve just shouldered him and it would’ve knocked him out of the play. The hit was so hard it knocked Adams off his feet and it was undeniably a pure helmet to helmet (not to mention blind side)
Zartan also said it would be have to be reviewed and it would have to be ruled egregious.
Hits like the one Adams took are not only dangerous, they can be season ending and in some cases even career ending or worse. (See Jack Tatum)
There’s no place for that in this sport these guys deserve basic levels of protection. This shouldve been a review, ejection and furthermore a loss of compensation and suspension if the perp is a repeat offender.

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hit by Davis on Adams was the absolute definition of targeting..Davis launched himself off of two feet,led completely with his helmet spearing Adams directly in the helmet when his head was turned..this one would have been an EASY call of targeting for the officials considering all the factors involved. Davis took a key component of the Packers offense out of the game and most likely for the season considering it was Adams third concussion this season. And what happened to Davis? Nothing..he remained to play the rest of the game. A fine? Like he cares...the team will probably pick up half of it. He will probably get suspended for one game..big deal. Adams probably lost the rest of the season and most likely will affect the rest of his career considering how many concussions he’s had..SMH

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there may be an example of that it’s the exception not the rule. In the Davante Adams case the player launched himself at Adams blindside at it was totally unnecessary. He couldve just shouldered him and it would’ve knocked him out of the play. The hit was so hard it knocked Adams off his feet and it was undeniably a pure helmet to helmet (not to mention blind side)
Zartan also said it would be have to be reviewed and it would have to be ruled egregious.

Hits like the one Adams took are not only dangerous, they can be season ending and in some cases even career ending or worse. (See Jack Tatum)
There’s no place for that in this sport these guys deserve basic levels of protection. This shouldve been a review, ejection and furthermore a loss of compensation and suspension if the perp is a repeat offender.

How many exceptions do you need to see my point? Do you watch college football every Saturday? Mistaken targeting ejections are more common than you think. Again, my opinion about the college rule has nothing to do with the stupid hit by Thomas Davis. I am fine with ejecting players who do that. The problem is too many times the "targeting" is not egregious and referees fail to make that distinction.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Targeting is a heap of dung! Too many questionable ejections with that rule. Besides hasn’t the game been watered down enough already?

I would be OK with the penalized player being ordered to sit out one play. Sometimes players give themselves concussions by making dirty hits to the head (see Brandon Marshall's hit on Cam Newton in the 2016 opener). Otherwise, 15 yards for UR is all the NFL needs in an era when fines and suspensions are handed out every week.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many exceptions do you need to see my point? Do you watch college football every Saturday? Mistaken targeting ejections are more common than you think. Again, my opinion about the college rule has nothing to do with the stupid hit by Thomas Davis. I am fine with ejecting players who do that. The problem is too many times the "targeting" is not egregious and referees fail to make that distinction.
yep... and I say ... so be it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL rules can't discriminate for certain players during games. If a targeting rule was really a good idea, it would apply to every player who steps on the field. That said, I would love to see Vontaze Burfict get thrown out of a game because he deserves it.

The CBA does not determine how much players can be fined for illegal hits or unsportsmanlike conduct. It dictates who has the power to hand down those fines and suspensions.
It doesn't have to differentiate during games, the suspensions will take care of that, but on a play like that where he broke about 10 player safety rules on one dirty hit, he should have been ejected. The suspensions can come later for the repeat guys. But defenseless, spearing, crown of helmet, blow to head, helmet to helmet, blindside, left his feet, those should be immediate ejection. plain and simple. If they aren't, this league cares nothing about player safety.

Members online

Latest posts