Should NFL Implement Targeting Rule

• Yes

• No

• Yes but with tweaked rules

Results are only viewable after voting.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I’m less concerned with the punishment as I am with Davante Adams health. That is his third concussion in the past two seasons. The Packers do not really have great luck in the past with players that suffer multiple concussions.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't have to differentiate during games, the suspensions will take care of that, but on a play like that where he broke about 10 player safety rules on one dirty hit, he should have been ejected. The suspensions can come later for the repeat guys. But defenseless, spearing, crown of helmet, blow to head, helmet to helmet, blindside, left his feet, those should be immediate ejection. plain and simple. If they aren't, this league cares nothing about player safety.
Frankly I think the refs that didn't eject him should be sitting next week too.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't have to differentiate during games, the suspensions will take care of that, but on a play like that where he broke about 10 player safety rules on one dirty hit, he should have been ejected. The suspensions can come later for the repeat guys. But defenseless, spearing, crown of helmet, blow to head, helmet to helmet, blindside, left his feet, those should be immediate ejection. plain and simple. If they aren't, this league cares nothing about player safety.

Again, I am not saying it would have been stupid to eject Thomas Davis. His hit was exactly the type that warrants an automatic ejection in college football. My complaint is about the iffy hits where the defender is trying to hit the shoulder or chest and a helmet collision occurs because of the runner's head position. Sometimes when this happens, it looks like targeting to people not named Gus Johnson or Joel Klatt.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aren't there 3 threads on this?

As top OP, Yes with Tweaks will be the right way to go. Ejection is too lenient. Ejection + 2 weeks suspension + a hefty fine.

Concussion has long term life changing effects going past game time. It must be eradicated. There can be no excuses for illegal and helmet-to-helmet hits

Reaction score
The booth already reviews scoring plays. It would be relatively easy to have them review plays where players are injured.
We already have to go to commercial anyway so why not have a vote by a few of the officials during break and if a majority find the hit avoidable the player should be ejected or pardoned during the break.
Also for every game an avoidable and egregious hit causes a player to miss there should be an equal suspension up to 4 games or so for the perp. In basketball they don’t let you repeatedly commit fouls you’re done after 5 they could also implement that in football so dirty players like Suh are gone by midseason

It would force teams to become part of the solution with standard training both video and on the practice field for these players and the monetary cost of missing a partial season without pay would be enough to make this problem become an anomaly within a few years.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The booth already reviews scoring plays. It would be relatively easy to have them review plays where players are injured.
We already have to go to commercial anyway so why not have a vote by a few of the officials during break and if a majority find the hit avoidable the player should be ejected or pardoned during the break.
Also for every game an avoidable and egregious hit causes a player to miss there should be an equal suspension up to 4 games or so for the perp. In basketball they don’t let you repeatedly commit fouls you’re done after 5 they could also implement that in football so dirty players like Suh are gone by midseason

It would force teams to become part of the solution with standard training both video and on the practice field for these players and the monetary cost of missing a partial season without pay would be enough to make this problem become an anomaly within a few years.

The way I understand the automatic ejection rule that began last year as an experiment, egregious HTH hits such as the one by Thomas Davis are included if the same player also commits unsporstmanlike conduct or another avoidable personal foul. The list of ejectable fouls under this rule is very short to prevent having too many players disqualified. If Davis had also taunted a Green Bay player earlier in the game, he definitely would have been ejected.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Ejection yes suspension idk
He lunged into Adams head. Didn't try wrapping him up to tackle. Didn't try making a play on the ball. His intention was to take him out.

Without suspensions, this garbage will continue. It needs to stop. Now. Simply ejecting the player isn't even a slap on the wrist.

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t even tell me that was comparable to Trevathan’s hit on Adams,Smith-Schuster’s hit on Burflict or the most recent Davis hit on Adams..at least he didn’t LEAD with his helmet and launch himself off of two feet..yeah, it didn’t look good but there was no intent to eviscerate a guy of his brain..

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you injure someone on an illegal hit that was deemed to be intentional, then you should be suspended until the player you injured is medically cleared to return, however long that is. If the person's career is ended because of the hit, then you miss 32 games. That will put an end to it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t even tell me that was comparable to Trevathan’s hit on Adams,Smith-Schuster’s hit on Burflict or the most recent Davis hit on Adams..at least he didn’t LEAD with his helmet and launch himself off of two feet..yeah, it didn’t look good but there was no intent to eviscerate a guy of his brain..

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for Burfict. He got what has been coming to him for a long time. He's the dirtiest head hunter in the game and it was time he got a dose of his own.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have no sympathy for Burfict. He got what has been coming to him for a long time. He's the dirtiest head hunter in the game and it was time he got a dose of his own.

Vontaze Burfict admitted it too. After receiving his first three-game suspension letter, Burfict told reporters he needs to accept the fact that he can't hit players the way he wants to anymore (specifically helmet to helmet). This was after concussing a KIller B in the playoffs.

Staff online

Latest posts