LB's

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any theories on the multitude of LB's we picked up ? I don't have a logical one myself. Are we that thin ? Is this an attempt to upgrade the special teams ? Some one give me a hint.

Reaction score
Well we have 3 starters coming back (Hawk/Barnett/Poppinga), one MLB in Abdul Hodge, and one "LB" (although he played only on ST) Tracy White coming back.

We do need one additional back-up LB, since it looks unlikely that we'd resign Ben Taylor.

From my count, we drafted 2 LBs, and signed 2 more that went undrafted. From what I gather (interview of Winston Moss and Mike Stock), one of the drafted LBs (Korey Hall) will be listed as a FB, so in fact we got 3 LBs instead of 4.

I'm guessing the extra 3 are for competition for the sole backup spot, with the winner needing to be a good ST player.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost Ben Taylor and Tracy White - so I think the only LBs on our roster were Hawk, Barnett, Poppinga and Hodge. So, we needed two more off the bat. Add in the fact we didn't spend a first day pick on one and it makes sense to take a more volume approach. I like the Bishop pick and think Rory Johnson could be a sleeper. Korey Hall will be moved to FB so we really only have 4-5 total guys competing for 2 spots.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, I think he did resign. Let me rephrase - "We lost Ben Taylor and I have no problem if we also lose Tracy White". ;)

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, I think he did resign. Let me rephrase - "We lost Ben Taylor and I have no problem if we also lose Tracy White". ;)

March 7 he was resigned

In addition Wednesday, the Packers re-signed linebacker Tracy White, an unrestricted free agent who led the club with 17 special-teams tackles in 2006.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ACTUALLY HEARD MEL KIPER SAYING THAT THE LINEBACKERS WE DRAFTED WERE ALL SPECIAL TEAMERS THAT ARE GREAT IN THAT DEPARTMENT AS FAR AS SPEED AND ATHLETIC ABILITY TO STRETCH THE FIELD. I GUESS WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL CAMP TO SEE. ( A LA CORY RODGERS LAST YEAR AND TERRENCE MURPHY THE PREVIOUS YEAR... BOTH WERE SUPPOSED TO BE SPECIAL TEAMERS, ALTHOUGH ROGERS WAS CUT BEFORE REGULAR SEASON AND MURPHY HURT IS NECK....ONLY TIME WILL TELL

GO PACK GO

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow..... i feel like i should whisper after all that capslock......now my ears hurt-thanks alot brennan...

yeah, the kid from Boise State is slotted to play for the FB position. He was a RB in high school, playd at LB for Boise, but is undersized in the NFL. Could be good. I mean, he's listed at 230 or something.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about we start the best 3? Oh gee! It just happens to be Poppinga/Barnett/Hawk.

Everyone else is on the bench. That's my theory.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I reckon TT secretly desires to play 11 linebackers on both sides of the ball..:D

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some of the LBs will be cut but, some will play ST. LBs are normally fast enough and have the knowledge of how to takle. I think ST is important to a team. The set up the defense and allows them to get off the field quicker.

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would have bin nice we we took 3 CB in a row, who know one might have worked out....

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a suggestion before last season that we may try some 4 LB sets on defense. If that's the plan, then they needed to add some quality depth in order to do that.

Otherwise it was likely that the BPA at that point were these players and we needed to fill some backup positions. There's also the point of upgrading. Never hurts to upgrade depth at an important position.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be hard to cut 1-2 of these guys, let me tell you. All 4 LB's we picked up in or after the draft are good players.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
would have bin nice we we took 3 CB in a row, who know one might have worked out....

I think the deal with CB is we have some good looking young guys that probably have a better chance of turning into decent corners than taking a flyer in the draft and wasting a pick.

Blackmon is going to be good and Darby and Bush have enough potential to warrant patience and see how they develope.

We have wasted enough picks on this position over the last few drafts on guys that could not cut it.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am anixious to see what Blackmon brings to the table if healthy, he showed all the flashes in college..

Plus Dendy has been groomed for how many years :)

Members online