1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LB's

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackOne, Apr 30, 2007.

1. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Any theories on the multitude of LB's we picked up ? I don't have a logical one myself. Are we that thin ? Is this an attempt to upgrade the special teams ? Some one give me a hint.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
  3. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well we have 3 starters coming back (Hawk/Barnett/Poppinga), one MLB in Abdul Hodge, and one "LB" (although he played only on ST) Tracy White coming back.

We do need one additional back-up LB, since it looks unlikely that we'd resign Ben Taylor.

From my count, we drafted 2 LBs, and signed 2 more that went undrafted. From what I gather (interview of Winston Moss and Mike Stock), one of the drafted LBs (Korey Hall) will be listed as a FB, so in fact we got 3 LBs instead of 4.

I'm guessing the extra 3 are for competition for the sole backup spot, with the winner needing to be a good ST player.

4. Arles

Arles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We lost Ben Taylor and Tracy White - so I think the only LBs on our roster were Hawk, Barnett, Poppinga and Hodge. So, we needed two more off the bat. Add in the fact we didn't spend a first day pick on one and it makes sense to take a more volume approach. I like the Bishop pick and think Rory Johnson could be a sleeper. Korey Hall will be moved to FB so we really only have 4-5 total guys competing for 2 spots.

5. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wait, we lost Tracy White? :-?

I thought I read that he resigned with us...

6. Arles

Arles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, I think he did resign. Let me rephrase - "We lost Ben Taylor and I have no problem if we also lose Tracy White". ;)

7. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    March 7 he was resigned

In addition Wednesday, the Packers re-signed linebacker Tracy White, an unrestricted free agent who led the club with 17 special-teams tackles in 2006.

8. brennan1884

brennan1884 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I ACTUALLY HEARD MEL KIPER SAYING THAT THE LINEBACKERS WE DRAFTED WERE ALL SPECIAL TEAMERS THAT ARE GREAT IN THAT DEPARTMENT AS FAR AS SPEED AND ATHLETIC ABILITY TO STRETCH THE FIELD. I GUESS WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL CAMP TO SEE. ( A LA CORY RODGERS LAST YEAR AND TERRENCE MURPHY THE PREVIOUS YEAR... BOTH WERE SUPPOSED TO BE SPECIAL TEAMERS, ALTHOUGH ROGERS WAS CUT BEFORE REGULAR SEASON AND MURPHY HURT IS NECK....ONLY TIME WILL TELL

GO PACK GO

9. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    wow..... i feel like i should whisper after all that capslock......now my ears hurt-thanks alot brennan...

yeah, the kid from Boise State is slotted to play for the FB position. He was a RB in high school, playd at LB for Boise, but is undersized in the NFL. Could be good. I mean, he's listed at 230 or something.

10. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How about we start the best 3? Oh gee! It just happens to be Poppinga/Barnett/Hawk.

Everyone else is on the bench. That's my theory.

11. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon TT secretly desires to play 11 linebackers on both sides of the ball..:D

12. robkeg

robkeg Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think some of the LBs will be cut but, some will play ST. LBs are normally fast enough and have the knowledge of how to takle. I think ST is important to a team. The set up the defense and allows them to get off the field quicker.

13. sbp_387

sbp_387 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    would have bin nice we we took 3 CB in a row, who know one might have worked out....

14. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There was a suggestion before last season that we may try some 4 LB sets on defense. If that's the plan, then they needed to add some quality depth in order to do that.

Otherwise it was likely that the BPA at that point were these players and we needed to fill some backup positions. There's also the point of upgrading. Never hurts to upgrade depth at an important position.

15. MassPackersFan

MassPackersFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's going to be hard to cut 1-2 of these guys, let me tell you. All 4 LB's we picked up in or after the draft are good players.

16. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I think the deal with CB is we have some good looking young guys that probably have a better chance of turning into decent corners than taking a flyer in the draft and wasting a pick.

Blackmon is going to be good and Darby and Bush have enough potential to warrant patience and see how they develope.

We have wasted enough picks on this position over the last few drafts on guys that could not cut it.

17. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I am anixious to see what Blackmon brings to the table if healthy, he showed all the flashes in college..

Plus Dendy has been groomed for how many years :)