Lang signs with the Lions

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O line went from a position of strength to a glaring hole. There is no plan B here on the roster. Spriggs hasn't earned a starting position and isn't a guard to start with. We have seen what happens when a starting job just gets handed to a player because they are a draft pick. It isn't pretty. When TT canned his starting guards in 2005 the results were disasterous. You would think he would have learned. Barclay is a human turnstile and how often do rookies step in and play well as a guard and this draft is not deep in o line talent. Losing Lang puts the Packers in a no win situation in the draft. They don't have enough quality picks to fill their holes at guard, cb, olb. Any guards still availabe as free agents? Nothing has been done to shore up the worst pass defense in the nfl and now the o line is a mess. But at least TT figured out that the reason the Packers got blown out by the Falcons is because they couldn't run 2 TE sets.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
unreal, everyone chasing that money...7-8 million/year can only get you so far in life, aye?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One starter of five leaves and one of the best lines in the league goes from a strength to a glaring hole.... hmm.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with your "glaring hole" assessment, Sanguine. We are returning Bakh, Bulaga, Linsley, and Taylor. We lost one starter and a depth guy. We still have Spriggs, Murphy, and Barclay as depth. Young guys will have to step up and we'll have to add a little more depth. Doesn't seem that bad to me.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wanted Lang back. If the Lions paid him in the Zeitler range, I'll understand why they let him go.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is not going to pay a guy for what he did.....only what he will do. I wouldnt pay up for a guy with chronic hip & now foot issues.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would rather have them spend the remaining money on defense. You just can't afford to overpay a guard.

This is one area that doesn't overly concern me because the Packers seem to just be able to breed guards.

The only concern is the loss of Tretter and now Lang does affect the overall depth of the OL. Could bite us in the but at some point in the season.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it would've been nice to have him back but let's be real. We're talking about a Guard here. Still returning 4/5 starters on the line a year removed from picking up two offensive linemen in the draft to protect against this kind of eventuality.

How is this now a glaring hole without a plan B?

Reaction score
I'm not as much concerned with TJ but letting JC go is BS and not TTs typical MO. IDK I guess I'm just PO'd with the OL

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy, Taylor, and Spriggs will step it up. Not that worried about this actually. There's also a few good to great guards in this draft. Maybe we pick up someone like Forrest Lamp.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT should have spent the money on Tretter. He only got 5.5 from the clowns. A competent GM would have decided between Tretter and Lang. Lang might be a risk because of his foot but at least he didn't run for the tub like the rest of the team. Lang was a tough player. Resigning Barclay the sack machine for 1.3 million was a complete waste of cap space. Barclay should have been canned instead of letting both Lang and Tretter. Last season the Packets paid about 7 million for the three. They could have signed Tretter for 5.5 and saved money while not blowing a huge hole in the oline. Barclay shows that you can't play your way off the team but if you want more money then you can take a hike like Tretter and Lang.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy, Taylor, and Spriggs will step it up. Not that worried about this actually. There's also a few good to great guards in this draft. Maybe we pick up someone like Forrest Lamp.
Picking Lamp isn't a good option when you have the worst pass defense in the nfl.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT should have spent the money on Tretter. He only got 5.5 from the clowns. A competent GM would have decided between Tretter and Lang. Lang might be a risk because of his foot but at least he didn't run for the tub like the rest of the team. Lang was a tough player. Resigning Barclay the sack machine for 1.3 million was a complete waste of cap space. Barclay should have been canned instead of letting both Lang and Tretter. Last season the Packets paid about 7 million for the three. They could have signed Tretter for 5.5 and saved money while not blowing a huge hole in the oline. Barclay shows that you can't play your way off the team but if you want more money then you can take a hike like Tretter and Lang.

With or without Lang. Tretter was going to be a backup on this team. Had he resigned he would've been the backup Center and most likely a swing Tackle. He was never going to replace Lang.

Still 5.5 is more then one should pay for a backup on the line and that's not even really considering that Tretter most likely also left in order to be given a starting Center job so in order to make a competing offer that Tretter would've considered in those circumstances it would've required paying him even more then the 5.5 he got in order to be a backup on this team.

We drafted two linemen just for this kind of eventuality last season. This isnt a suprise or really a cause for concern considering the replacement plan is allready a year in the making.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picking Lamp isn't a good option when you have the worst pass defense in the nfl.

I agree, but this is a really deep draft for cornerbacks. I could easily see us go with Lamp in the first, then grab Awuzie, Kevin King, Conley, White, or Lewis in the second.

However, I know it's not really TT's MO to draft a lineman early, especially a guard. We'll just have to see what happens.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah it would've been nice to have him back but let's be real. We're talking about a Guard here. Still returning 4/5 starters on the line a year removed from picking up two offensive linemen in the draft to protect against this kind of eventuality.

How is this now a glaring hole without a plan B?

It isn't a "deal breaker" as far as competing for a Super Bowl but not spending the remaining money on defensive help is.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If TT deserves the benefit of the doubt anywhere on the roster, it's the offensive line.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Lang walk ONLY makes sense if you do something else with the remaining 27 mil or so cap space.

Lacy is the only dude left that is one of our own guys, and won't cost much.

I am holding out hope that TT has been waiting for all our own FA situations to be figured out, before addressing the other areas of need.

Still can swing a deal for Malcolm Butler or Trumaine Johnson if you have some balls. The Pats usually fleece teams with trades so I would prefer going for Johnson who LA is clearly not committed too. Throw them a 2nd rounder, theyll take that 100% and we fill the hole at cb. Sign him long term

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Letting Lang walk ONLY makes sense if you do something else with the remaining 27 mil or so cap space.

Lacy is the only dude left that is one of our own guys, and won't cost much.

I am holding out hope that TT has been waiting for all our own FA situations to be figured out, before addressing the other areas of need.

Still can swing a deal for Malcolm Butler or Trumaine Johnson if you have some balls. The Pats usually fleece teams with trades so I would prefer going for Johnson who LA is clearly not committed too. Throw them a 2nd rounder, theyll take that 100% and we fill the hole at cb. Sign him long term

Johnson is a better trade target than Butler, but he's on the tag so I'd squeeze them into a deal for a lot less than a 2nd. When you have to right away either give a guy a costly extension OR pay him 16M for a one year rental, it depresses the value. If they stuck at a 2nd round asking price, I'd pass.