Lang signs with the Lions

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there was a lesson to be learned in 2005, it was don't replace two guards in the same season.

Even after 2005, Ted has continued to let his interior offensive linemen walk. Daryn Colledge, Scott Wells, Jason Spitz, Evan Dietrich-Smith, and Josh Sitton. How many of those non-signings (or releases) hurt the Packers?

The Packers are good to excellent at LT, RT, and C and Lane Taylor was fine (if unspectacular) at LG. Now Taylor has a full year of starting experience at G so I expect him to continue to improve. The Packers will do just fine with whomever they slot into the RG position in 2017. Quite frankly, I'd rather see the money spent on defense.

The scenarios I've seen have Lang's replacement as Barclay, Patrick, Murphy or Bulaga (with Spriggs taking his place). Either you've got another possibility in mind, or you need to explain to me which of those options has a proven talent involved. Or, did you leave out 'I hope'? :)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scenarios I've seen have Lang's replacement as Barclay, Patrick, Murphy or Bulaga (with Spriggs taking his place). Either you've got another possibility in mind, or you need to explain to me which of those options has a proven talent involved. Or, did you leave out 'I hope'? :)
I am guessing that Patrick is pencilled-in as Lang's replacement but Bulaga will get some reps inside, also. GB likes to have 7 OL's activated on game day (8 if injury concerns), so also guessing unless beaten-out Barclay is the backup OC/OG.

After a year of "seasoning" Patrick & Murphy could be ready to compete for roster spots.

To keep that rookie pipeline filled would absolutely love it if TT would draft (6th) Harvard OT Max Rich (6'-7", 311 lbs). Draft Analysis write-up on his Pro Day, yesterday ~
"The Harvard Crimson has put a fair number of offensive players into the league recently, and tackle Max Rich is the next in line.

Fifteen teams were on hand to watch the big blocker who measured 6072 and 311 pounds and timed as low as 5.04s in the 40, 4.37s in the short shuttle and 7.16 in the three-cone. Rich completed 25 reps on the bench press, touched 30 inches in the vertical jump and reached 8-foot-9 in the broad jump.

All in all it was an exceptional workout for Rich, whose game film is solid."

** FYI ~ his 3 cone drill time & short shuttle would've been the BEST for Offensive Lineman had he been at the combine. Perspective... his 3 cone is .01 better than RB Wayne Gallman and .11 faster than Dalvin Cook! :).

D

Deleted member 6794

I am guessing that Patrick is pencilled-in as Lang's replacement but Bulaga will get some reps inside, also. GB likes to have 7 OL's activated on game day (8 if injury concerns), so also guessing unless beaten-out Barclay is the backup OC/OG.

After a year of "seasoning" Patrick & Murphy could be ready to compete for roster spots.

I'm fine with Patrick competing for a roster spot but there's no way he should be pencilled in as Lang's replacement to start at right guard.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The only interior lineman they've replaced in last 10 years with a "proven talent" was Jeff Saturday replacing Scott Wells. And Jeff Saturday sucked as was thankfully replaced by the "unproven" Evan Dietrich-Smith. Every other interior lineman they've lost in the last 10 years was replaced by an unheralded, "unproven" talent. And they've been fine.

Spending top dollar on a 30 year old guard is a luxury the Packers don't need.

Reaction score
I am sad to see Lang go, but for what Detroit signed him for, I'm okay with letting him walk. They should address the O line depth in the draft. Hopefully Murphy or perhaps Spriggs can fill in. Anyone but Barclay. Still a lot of work to be done. OLB, DL, RB

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only interior lineman they've replaced in last 10 years with a "proven talent" was Jeff Saturday replacing Scott Wells. And Jeff Saturday sucked as was thankfully replaced by the "unproven" Evan Dietrich-Smith. Every other interior lineman they've lost in the last 10 years was replaced by an unheralded, "unproven" talent. And they've been fine.

Spending top dollar on a 30 year old guard is a luxury the Packers don't need.

Never said paying Lang too much was a good idea. What I did question was your assertion that the Pack will be fine, regardless of who they plug in there. Think the definition of 'proven' is open to interpretation - perhaps 'in whom are you confident?' might be a better ask. However, the bottom line remains that the Pack may well NOT be fine with whoever is in that spot come the regular season. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a problem with any position - anyone they plug in at DL, LB, or CB would be fine, too.

Members online

Latest posts