Kevin Greene stepping down

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Mike Vandermause reports that Kevin Greene will step down as OLB coach, wants to spend more time with family.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Vandermause reports that Kevin Greene will step down as OLB coach, wants to spend more time with family.

If i had to coach these olb's i would probably step down to haha. But no i love the passion Kevin Greene brings and fire. Wish it rubbed off on some of his players.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sucks.
I respect him for making a decision like this.
As opposed to Andy Reid.

Not sure if there are any issues with kids for Kevin.

This is THEY only guy I loved on our coaching staff because he's the only one who had fire out there.

Capers? No energy.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Well **** there goes the only good defensive coach we got.

He was the only one out there fireing up the players.

He will be best remembered for telling Clay "It is Time" right before Clay forced a fumble in the super bowl.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well **** there goes the only good defensive coach we got.

He was the only one out there fireing up the players.

He will be best remembered for telling Clay "It is Time" right before Clay forced a fumble in the super bowl.

I remember watching that on NFL Network a few years back. Americas Game i think? the year we won the SB. Maybe Dom will do us all a favor and follow him out?? fingers crossed...then again Doms kids are prolly in their 60's.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a decision that was a while coming. There is more to it than what was offered.

I will say he loves Dom and is his biggest fan/supporter.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hope that Greene could take over as our new DC, got flushed out there.
It would have been fun to see him as our DC, bringing some passion, field presence and fire to the guys.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a decision that was a while coming. There is more to it than what was offered.

I get that sense too. Doesn't jive that all of a sudden he needs to spend more time with his family. Aaron Nagler alluded to the potential real reason being similar to what politicians mean when they say they need to spend more time with their family. Hopefully not.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that sense too. Doesn't jive that all of a sudden he needs to spend more time with his family. Aaron Nagler alluded to the potential real reason being similar to what politicians mean when they say they need to spend more time with their family. Hopefully not.

wouldn't doubt it...can't blame Greene but the olb's left alot to be desired this year. May have been the least productive unit on the defense. Which all points back to TT. Clay got hurt and that unit went down the crapper.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevins influence went beyond just the game itself, he had a pretty big influence on his personnel. From the draft to FA he made some smart opinions known.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn't want to see Greene become DC, but he is the assistant coach with the most fire. I wonder if we are being overly generous to him because of his HOF career and the fire he displayed? Did his charges at OLB progress steadily? How much of their lack of production was on Greene and how much was it the talent?

This was a decision that was a while coming. There is more to it than what was offered. I will say he loves Dom and is his biggest fan/supporter.
Kevins influence went beyond just the game itself, he had a pretty big influence on his personnel. From the draft to FA he made some smart opinions known.
Please explain or expand what you're saying here. You are posting as if you know for certain it is more than Greene just wanting out of coaching. Are you hinting Capers may be next? Also what input did Greene have regarding free agency? Not doubting you on either just looking for more information.

Of course there could be more than meets the eye, but Greene is (or should be) a millionaire many times over and I don't blame him if he doesn't want to devote 12 or 14 hours per day working for not much money (considering his net worth). Honestly in his shoes I think I'd be inclined to do charity work.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Green Bay Packers outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene has made the decision to step away from coaching. The announcement was made Friday by Head Coach Mike McCarthy.
“I am stepping away from the NFL at this time in order to spend more time with my wife, Tara, and our children, Gavin and Gabrielle,” Greene said. “I will miss coaching and will try to return after our kids move on to college if a team will have me."

Source: packer.com

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Well that sucks. As others have said only good defensive coach we had and the only one with seemingly any passion about his job.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best to him and his family. He was a great...as other have said, his passion really showed. There are plenty of great moments of him the packers road to the superbowl dvd.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please explain or expand what you're saying here. You are posting as if you know for certain it is more than Greene just wanting out of coaching. Are you hinting Capers may be next? Also what input did Greene have regarding free agency? Not doubting you on either just looking for more information.

Of course there could be more than meets the eye, but Greene is (or should be) a millionaire many times over and I don't blame him if he doesn't want to devote 12 or 14 hours per day working for not much money (considering his net worth). Honestly in his shoes I think I'd be inclined to do charity work.

Kevin was looking to take the next step in coaching the last I had heard. He interviewed at several places last year and didnt get the job obviously.

example of kevin in FA would be the discussion of Merriman, he was not fond of him and didnt think highly of his ability. In the draft he was a big fan of clay and Orakpo was his 2nd choice. When draft time got around he didnt know if he would be speaking draft day (position coaches speak usually to media if they have an addition to their area) but he gave his support for clay. He didnt like someone that went in the 1st round, I think it was who cinci took. Not 100% sure.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is what it is. It's sports and that's what happens.
Kinda surprised to see how others on here are sad to see him go but there is hardly any emotion like that when certain veteran players leave. Usually it's the justification as "Oh well, it's business!"
At least the Packers got him a ring before he quit.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than Clay Matthews, has any OLB done much? To me, they are playing mostly below their potential. Neal is progressing okay, but anyone else at the position? This is the one assistant coach that I am okay with losing. I would rather see Dom go, but it looks like he is here to stay. Other than having a fiery attitude - what qualifications does he have to be an OLB coach (let alone a DC - SHEEESH!)? Because he was a successful player? Packers will not miss him, and I don't think you need to be fiery to be successful. Some of the greatest coaches have been 'reserved' including Belicheat.

If anyone got fired as an assistant - I figured it would be Greene.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for him! If he wants more time with his kids, good on him. They're gone in a flash.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts