Just Spent a Week in Seattle

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and they have replaced the Bronco fan base as the most delusional, obnoxious group on the planet. They honestly believe they are the greatest football team to ever play the game and are building a dynasty. Can't count how many, " so sorry for you" passive aggressive comments I heard throughout the week. But I had the last laugh as those jackholes are oblivious to the fact that this Seahawks team just enjoyed its last ever victory over this Packers team. Write it down.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My buddy moved out there and didn't really have a team. He started becoming a Seahawks fan which I was fine with. Now, a year later, he's hoping they lose every game. Coming from the east coast, he used to think Pats fans were bad. He says this is ten times worse and they all act as though they've been life long Seahawks fans, but half don't even know the game.

It's a bit ridiculous. As much as I can't stand the Pats… I really hope the Patriots embarrass them. I used to route for them back in the day and I was proud they finally built a decent team, but they literally sold out their first stadium in 2006.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know all you people who whine about the seahawks fans and how they act about the Seahawks do the exact same thing when rooting for and talking about the Packers, right? A very large portion of the country despises Packer fans as well.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fan bases tend to get excited when their team is successful and many do go to excess. And to others they can seem arrogant and obnoxious.

Let them have their fun for now. The Seattle dynasty was two minutes from being a burp in the championship game two weeks ago. Even if they do win tomorrow for two in a row remember the Denver Broncos did that in 1997-98 and haven't won a Super Bowl since. Many seasons since they didn't even make the playoffs.

Such is most likely the long term prospect for the Seahawks.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
You know all you people who whine about the seahawks fans and how they act about the Seahawks do the exact same thing when rooting for and talking about the Packers, right? A very large portion of the country despises Packer fans as well.
Yeah but I'm a Packers fan so it doesn't count. :p

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in Seattle, had season tickets for years for my kids to use and I'd fly down for a game now and then. The (very) few people who have been She-hawk fans for decades are normally OK, the recent bandwagon jumpers are what you'd expect. Give it a few years and you'll see billboards begging people to buy season tickets, just like you did a year or two after their last Super Bowl loss. Seattle just isn't really an NFL town, or much of a sports town in general. Their NBA team moved to Oklahoma City. I could see the She's headed to LA in a few years.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fan bases tend to get excited when their team is successful and many do go to excess. And to others they can seem arrogant and obnoxious.

Let them have their fun for now. The Seattle dynasty was two minutes from being a burp in the championship game two weeks ago. Even if they do win tomorrow for two in a row remember the Denver Broncos did that in 1997-98 and haven't won a Super Bowl since. Many seasons since they didn't even make the playoffs.

Such is most likely the long term prospect for the Seahawks.

Time will tell. But they're at least as well set up for sustained success as the Packers supposedly are.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time will tell. But they're at least as well set up for sustained success as the Packers supposedly are.

I don't buy that. Wilson is having a nice run, but I don't honestly feel he's a QB to build a "dynasty" or even long term success around. He's lacking MOST of what a big time QB needs but his team is still having success, yet Seattle is going to have to pony up big long term money for him. Seattle was set up for continued success this year, they are set up for a steep decline going forward

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score

I live in Seattle, and I'm here to tell you there is NO comparison.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

If you're talking about cyber Packer fans, the trolls on national sports forums -- I'd agree with you to a point. The bozos claiming to be Packers fans on those sites are boorish mental midgets. Back when Holmgren and the boys turned the Seahawks around the first time, I used to hit the Seahawks forums and found some pretty good people. I do some work with a couple of banks in Seattle and the State of Washington and talk with some pretty knowledgeable fans on a regular basis. Oddly, those folks by-and-large weren't and aren't kiddies -- and my sweeping generalization/definition of a "kiddie" will only serve to **** a lot of people off so, I'll save that.

So it goes. I respect the Bears franchise and despise their fans because I've had several bad experiences with Bears fans ... live and in person. I've had nothing but good experiences with the Seattle fans I've talked with - live and in person, but hate their franchise because of Paul Allen's way of doing business (Reference: Holmgren tampering issue leading up to Super Bowl 32). The owner sets the tone.

In short, I'm not about to denigrate an entire fan base because some kiddie jack-holes pollute the internet with nonsensical crap. In short, it's not their fault that the media sticks their microphones and cameras into the faces of the mental midgets -- and anyone with a computer can "post" after news stories.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy that. Wilson is having a nice run, but I don't honestly feel he's a QB to build a "dynasty" or even long term success around. He's lacking MOST of what a big time QB needs but his team is still having success, yet Seattle is going to have to pony up big long term money for him. Seattle was set up for continued success this year, they are set up for a steep decline going forward

I've read a couple of solid articles from agents and such that do a breakdown on the Seahawks cap now and moving forward, and while there are challenges, there's nothing crippling about it.
The Packers have had a couple of seasons of Rodgers as the league's top paid player and Matthews as it's top paid LB. Do they need to gut the roster this offseason? Those counting on Seattle falling apart due to cap issues in the near future are going to be disappointed.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They way I see it is they are going to over pay for Wilson because he gets so much credit for everything. When really its that defense and Lynch that make him so good. Wilson is under no pressure knowing he don't have to put up much more than 20 pts per game and that Lynch will help him get there. Having a great D that will keep him on the field, and the other team off the field also giving him great field position. Wilson has the best QB job in the NFL right now. Wilson is good just not as good as he looks right now.

At least the Packers are paying big bucks for the best in the game. Seattle will be over paying for Wilson I think it will come back to hurt them, but maybe not for a few years. That D needs to break up some to put more on Wilson's plate first.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading over at www.sportspyder.com a few minutes ago that word is 'Hawks are close to giving Lynch a "huge" contract extention.
Again, they don't appear to be too worried about their cap situation.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading over at www.sportspyder.com a few minutes ago that word is 'Hawks are close to giving Lynch a "huge" contract extention.
Again, they don't appear to be too worried about their cap situation.

If they do give Lynch a huge contract extension, they will have cap problems. Right now they are about 4 mil under the cap. I'm sure they can let some players go to FA to bring that down a bit, but when you figure in Wilson's looming monster contract, then they'll have to do some real accounting acrobatics to balance their books.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've known this for exactly one year now. It's to be expected from a fan base that had never tasted any type of success before and they don't have any clue how to handle it once they get it. Saints fans were the same way five years ago but it's worse with Seattle because the fans are taking on the personalities of the coaches and players. Don't worry about it though. They'll be humbled sooner rather than later.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they do give Lynch a huge contract extension, they will have cap problems. Right now they are about 4 mil under the cap. I'm sure they can let some players go to FA to bring that down a bit, but when you figure in Wilson's looming monster contract, then they'll have to do some real accounting acrobatics to balance their books.

The Seahawks have approximately $25 million in cap space for 2015 (based on the cap rising to $140 million). This already includes Lynch counting $8.5 million towards it. Extending Beast Mode's contract will probably have no effect on their 2015 cap.

While they will have to extend Wilson's contract their only notable free agent is Byron Maxwell. They'll be fine with the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seahawks have approximately $25 million in cap space for 2015 (based on the cap rising to $140 million). This already includes Lynch counting $8.5 million towards it. Extending Beast Mode's contract will probably have no effect on their 2015 cap.

While they will have to ectrnd Wilson's contract their only notable free agent is Byron Maxwell. They'll be fine with the cap.

Amen, Cap. There are several good articles( example, the agent Corry at cbssports.com) that go into a lot of detail.
Again, the bottom line is they're fine, and have a plan. In some ways they're in better shape than us.
Thinking they're about to fall apart or shortly end up in cap hell will lead to disappointment.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the first year or two of monster contracts are often cap friendly because players often accept lesser amounts in salary because because of the big bonus checks they get. Its after those years pass and the 10-12 million dollar salaries on top of the signing bonuses kick in that the cap hell can start. Seattle might be OK for another year or two then they will have to start worrying about it.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They turned Lynch down last year, he turns 29 this off season, I don't see them paying him big to run the ball in his 30's.
His fall off and Wilsons inability to be a big time QB are the future weak links for Seattle. They could have easily lost to SF last year and realistically SHOULD have been beaten handily by GB this year, so this talk of dynasty is pretty silly.
Remember when GB went 15-1 right after a Super Bowl win?....

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the first year or two of monster contracts are often cap friendly because players often accept lesser amounts in salary because because of the big bonus checks they get. Its after those years pass and the 10-12 million dollar salaries on top of the signing bonuses kick in that the cap hell can start. Seattle might be OK for another year or two then they will have to start worrying about it.

It's all about how you structure contracts. Plus, they'll be restructures, 3 years of the cap going up, retirements,etc. Lots of options in your scenario; they won't just have rising contracts; they'll have more money and options to create cap room over that period.

OP
OP
maxlives

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bandwagon is exactly right. Saw lots and lots of jerseys, hats, and other gear but none of it had any age. It was all NEW!!! But everyone acts like they are lifelong fans. Just. So. Disingenuous. I won't be watching but hope they get spanked tonight (on to baseball for me).

Members online

Latest posts