Josh Jackson concern

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else as concerned as I am that Jackson can’t find the field. I know our corners have been relevantly healthy but Sullivan and Redmond gettin more snaps S the 3rd safety seems to be a huge red flag. When we drafted him I heard he may be a better safety and thought the combo of Savage and Jackson in the back and Amos roaming the middle with Alexander, King, and Tramon as our cb’s would be great secondary but he doesnt seem to get that chance. Maybe I just haven’t noticed him but has he been on the field much this year or are we already phasing him out of future plans? Would love to see him get more of a chance

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
From almost everything that I have seen, read or heard, Jackson thus far has been a big disappointment for a second round pick. He played about 68 percent of the defensive snaps his rookie season, but the Packers quickly found out that he was not very good at man coverage, tends to grab too much and gets fooled easily by WR's. Whether the current coaching staff can correct that or he finds success at S, which he has played this year, is anyone's guess.

He has gotten some playing time, but if I remember correctly, in his 5 snaps against the Raiders, he gave up 2 completions, one for a TD.

Defensive Snaps: 68

Special Teams Snaps: 126

Last edited:

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...does anyone want to clue these guys in...?? Look at the roster. Do you still see his name there??

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thought you were confusing him with josh jones..my mistake sorry

Kind of thought maybe that was the case. ;)

Easy to get the 2 confused, since they both were 2nd round picks named Josh, struggling to prove why they were drafted so high.

Cautionary Tale? Stop drafting Players named Josh in the 2nd round! :D

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Jones is exactly my worry for Jackson. So much potential but can’t seem to find where he fits. I was disappointed Jones wasn’t more open to playing the hybrid S/LB role. I know that is more on him but would have loved to seen him get a few more opportunities before we cut him. That’s also what I hope with Jackson. If he needs to move to safety where he doesn’t have to play as much man that is fine but I hope he really gets that opportunity before we cut the cord on him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jackson has been terrible. Unfortunately, he's had problems in zone too, which was supposed to be his calling card. He's a good athlete and has good ball skills, but he lacks the fundamentals to play the position and out those things to use.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Josh Jones is probably about as close of a comparison as you can get to Josh Jackson. The Packers anticipated that they were getting a solid player with their second round pick and ended up with guys that wouldn't have been worth a 5th round pick. Might be to early to say that about Josh Jackson, but it is looking that way. Josh Jones was signed by the Cowboys and is sitting on their Practice squad, not a great look for a 3rd year, 2nd round pick.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
...another one of Ted's wasted high dra..uh...errrr ... Oh, wait.... never mind.:unsure:

H

HardRightEdge

Jackson missed about 3 weeks of camp/preseason time with a non-football foot injury, not practicing then limited, roughly from 7/25 - 10/12.

We've seen him taking some snaps at safety this season. Whether a position change was contemplated earlier and derailed by the injury or this is a newer development is hard to say. As it stands he's buried deep in the DB depth chart. Who would step into the slot corner position if Williams were injured is uncertain and we'd prefer not to find out.

Barring injuries, we're not going to see much action from Jackson this season except on special teams where he has a high snap count. The next camp and preseason will show if a permanent move to safety is in the cards. Unless he demands to be traded, of course. :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Man I thought he was a steal in the middle of the 2nd. The only thing we can hope for is he needs time to adjust to the pro level. That was part of his critique going into the draft.

From NFL.Com
He's talented but inexperienced and he has coverage holes that could be exploited early in his career. Jackson's draft stock likely took a hit with his average forty time and unimpressive work in position drills. However, he is armed with route anticipation, ball skills, and NFL length that teams covet in a press-man corner. It may take time, but the tools are there to be an early starter”.

Another deficiency he had was getting juked on double moves, poor closing speed after getting behind a route and being fooled by solid route running. All traits you need as a CB. He just seems like more of a zone defender, which is why I think Safety fits him better. He’s a tick faster than Dix, he’s got good size at 6’ X200lb and his 6.86 3-cone and 38” vertical is very solid.

Interested Tid bit: He was a standout WR in HS and wasn’t expecting to be converted to Defense in college.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A healthy scratch from Sundays game, enough said as to what the Packers think of Jackson on Defense and Special Teams.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why, but all I could thing of when I read this was that bomb of a movie! :eek:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

With those heels, she's gonna put a hole right through his leg. And this Jackson can join ours in injured lists.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else as concerned as I am that Jackson can’t find the field. I know our corners have been relevantly healthy but Sullivan and Redmond gettin more snaps S the 3rd safety seems to be a huge red flag. When we drafted him I heard he may be a better safety and thought the combo of Savage and Jackson in the back and Amos roaming the middle with Alexander, King, and Tramon as our cb’s would be great secondary but he doesnt seem to get that chance. Maybe I just haven’t noticed him but has he been on the field much this year or are we already phasing him out of future plans? Would love to see him get more of a chance
couldn't care less. it's not like he showed something and then suddenly disappeared. i was more disappointed in darius shepherd than jackson.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
couldn't care less. it's not like he showed something and then suddenly disappeared. i was more disappointed in darius shepherd than jackson.

Not to nit pick, but what exactly did Darrius Shepherd show you in meaningful games, against NFL players? Not to mention, he was an UDFA, whereas Jackson a 2nd round pick.

Not trying to crush yours or anyone else's optimism over the guy, but just like many Packers before him, he showed absolutely nothing when the snaps counted. Preseason and practice play is nice, but don't always equate to being able to play on Sundays.

As a WR: He had 1 catch, for 1 yard as well as the crucial tip for an INT at the goal line VS the Lions.

As a Punt returner: -9 yds on 2 returns, as well as 1 fumble.

Kick returner: 16.3 yd/kick ave.

Even in preseason, he only had 8 catches and an 8.5 yds/catch average.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to nit pick, but what exactly did Darrius Shepherd show you in meaningful games, against NFL players? Not to mention, he was an UDFA, whereas Jackson a 2nd round pick.

Not trying to crush yours or anyone else's optimism over the guy, but just like many Packers before him, he showed absolutely nothing when the snaps counted. Preseason and practice play is nice, but don't always equate to being able to play on Sundays.

As a WR: He had 1 catch, for 1 yard as well as the crucial tip for an INT at the goal line VS the Lions.

it was sarcasm. i should have added the wink emoji to my post.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Both Shepard and Davis did well in practice going up against Alexander, williams, and Amos. Can't say I recall king. Those 3 are good NFL DBs and not though that meant good things for them both WRs. I know it's in shorts but it proves they have the abilities necessary. Shep is young, raw, and not used to the pro level. Maybe a year or two adjusting and he will be ready.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shep is young, raw, and not used to the pro level. Maybe a year or two adjusting and he will be ready.

Ready for what? ;) You mentioned Davis, this is Davis's 4th year in the league after being selected in the 5th round and he has done diddly squat as a WR during that time. Like I said, what they do in practice and preseason is only water cooler fodder, it doesn't make them a WR on Sundays.

Trying to think of the last player on a Packer roster that initially made the 53, then was demoted to the PS and eventually was brought back and became a decent player for the Packers. Anyone?

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson started 1 year at Iowa. 1 year. That's it. Had some interceptions. He's too slow for a corner and grabs on to receivers. Expensive bench warmer pick.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts