Josh Jackson concern

D

Deleted member 6794

Both Shepard and Davis did well in practice going up against Alexander, williams, and Amos. Can't say I recall king. Those 3 are good NFL DBs and not though that meant good things for them both WRs. I know it's in shorts but it proves they have the abilities necessary. Shep is young, raw, and not used to the pro level. Maybe a year or two adjusting and he will be ready.

Janis excelled in practice as well but wasn't up to the task once facing NFL cornerbacks in real games. A lot of fans get way too excited about reports out of camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Janis excelled in practice as well but wasn't up to the task once facing NFL cornerbacks in real games. A lot of fans get way too excited about reports out of camp.

Agree and would also add "too much excitement over preseason performances".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with getting excited about a player because they look good in practice or preseason. It is a hell of a lot better than looking bad. The only issue is if you are the GM and pass up other opportunities to improve the roster because you figure you are set. Therefore, just like the draft, I can project a players ability based on preseason or practice. Sure I am often wrong, but it is still fun.

Shepherd ran great routes an had great hands. These skills will translate.

OTOH, Janis was fast. That's it. I was never on board his bandwagon. He was easily pushed off his route and had low ability to physically contest those.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ready for what? ;) You mentioned Davis, this is Davis's 4th year in the league after being selected in the 5th round and he has done diddly squat as a WR during that time. Like I said, what they do in practice and preseason is only water cooler fodder, it doesn't make them a WR on Sundays.

Trying to think of the last player on a Packer roster that initially made the 53, then was demoted to the PS and eventually was brought back and became a decent player for the Packers. Anyone?

Yes it ultimately comes down to what they look like when the games count but I'd be remissed if I didnt point out how soooooo many posters dont love to remind me and others about the coaches raving about Gary in practice despite his lack of a actual on field production.

Point is it seems like this argument flips based on player to player (I do it sometimes myself also. Just pointing it out)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it ultimately comes down to what they look like when the games count but I'd be remissed if I didnt point out how soooooo many posters dont love to remind me and others about the coaches raving about Gary in practice despite his lack of a actual on field production.

Point is it seems like this argument flips based on player to player (I do it sometimes myself also. Just pointing it out)
Great point!

But when you decide that a OLB's objective is to not sack the QB and only get close, it greatly improves the perception of his performance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with getting excited about a player because they look good in practice or preseason. It is a hell of a lot better than looking bad. The only issue is if you are the GM and pass up other opportunities to improve the roster because you figure you are set. Therefore, just like the draft, I can project a players ability based on preseason or practice. Sure I am often wrong, but it is still fun.

Shepherd ran great routes an had great hands. These skills will translate.

OTOH, Janis was fast. That's it. I was never on board his bandwagon. He was easily pushed off his route and had low ability to physically contest those.

I think we all like development guys and their potential. However, the mistake that TT made too often and I think Gute did this year, relying on those players to play key roles while they develop. As much as I thought Davis didn't deserve a WR spot, he was clearly a better special teams player than Shepherd and in hindsight, we should have kept him. The same could be said about most of the WR's on this roster. Most of them have potential, but sucks that we have to rely on it from the #2 WR down.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Right. The good news with Gary, the Packers aren't forced to start him and are taking their time with his development. Now some might think a guy drafted as high as Gary should be tailor made and ready to go, but he wasn't. I think if Gary had been forced to start, we would hear more complaining about him. Some of it possibly justified, but some of it out of impatience.

Shepherd, an UDFA, on the other hand was thrust into a starting role (returning both kicks and punts) and I don't think he was near ready. I hope he gets another shot next year, but now is obviously not his time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why keep Davis? He never did much as a WR, he's still not. He was prone to mistakes on special teams and he still is making silly decisions. Oohhhh, he breaks one once and a while. Cool. You're relying on luck to have it happen at the right moment. I have zero issues moving on from that and giving someone else a try.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
why keep Davis? He never did much as a WR, he's still not. He was prone to mistakes on special teams and he still is making silly decisions. Oohhhh, he breaks one once and a while. Cool. You're relying on luck to have it happen at the right moment. I have zero issues moving on from that and giving someone else a try.

I said in hindsight. ;) If you recall, I was pretty outspoken about getting rid of Davis. Again, as some of us talked about before the season started, Gute didn't do diddly squat when it came to adding a decent returner to the team. So given the option of Davis or Shep. they went with Davis. That didn't seem to be the right choice, so they traded Davis and went all in with Shep.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have already tried him at safety. "It’s not as if the Green Bay Packers haven’t tried to make it work by moving him around and trying different positions."

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have yet to see them fully commit to him being at Safety. I've seen a couple snaps at Safety but that's it.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he showed any potential at the position he would be playing safety.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your graphic is pretty bold seeing as he hasn't show any real potential to be a CB either, and yet he continues to be plugged there. So where does that leave us?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are cuts of 5 players coming up the next 2 Tuesdays...wouldn't shock me to see his name on an upcoming list.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With an incapable football player.
I'll accept your olive branch on the matter sir.

He can play ST though, granted that's not what you want for a 2nd Round Pick, but Oren Burks filled that role nicely as a 3rd Round Pick as well.

I doubt Barry's hire has any influence on him getting any better. With Black and Scott coming along his potential at Safety if he had any is probably nixed. Seems like he and Hollman and Samuels are all competing for the same spot. Ento/Sullivan/Jean-Charles seem to be in the mix for the Dimeback role, the 5th and possibly 6th spot is a conundrum for sure.

You guys may not like it, but Jackson is a better ST guy than Hollman or Samuels. So if he sticks, that's why.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

He can play ST though, granted that's not what you want for a 2nd Round Pick, but Oren Burks filled that role nicely as a 3rd Round Pick as well.

I doubt Barry's hire has any influence on him getting any better. With Black and Scott coming along his potential at Safety if he had any is probably nixed. Seems like he and Hollman and Samuels are all competing for the same spot. Ento/Sullivan/Jean-Charles seem to be in the mix for the Dimeback role, the 5th and possibly 6th spot is a conundrum for sure.

You guys may not like it, but Jackson is a better ST guy than Hollman or Samuels. So if he sticks, that's why.

How do we know that he’s the best ST player of the three?

I mean, I have no clue. I don’t track how guys play on teams.

I note that Hollman played more ST snaps last year. Samuels obviously saw very little playing time of any kind.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Has Jackson ever made any impact on ST’s? Can’t say that I’ve noticed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This will be Jackson's 4th season. If he still isnt a better backup than the younger CB's, I see no reason why they would keep him on the roster, especially given his cap number is almost $2M.

He would have to really become a special teams Ace to make the roster just for that purpose. To date, I don't recall him being that special on ST either.

At this point, It shouldnt matter if he was a 2nd round pick or an UDFA, he just isnt a very good football player and it won't surprise me whatsoever if he is cut.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately Jackson is terrible at cornerback. I prefer the Packers to move on from him, save $1.3 million of cap space and have one of the youngsters take his roster spot.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jackson pick was a debacle given that even a mediocre replacement for Kevin King in last year's NFCCG could've made the difference. It's the large proportion of high draft pick busts like Jackson, King, Rollins, Spriggs, Randall that create the glaring holes in the roster that are so easily exploited in the playoffs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jackson pick was a debacle given that even a mediocre replacement for Kevin King in last year's NFCCG could've made the difference. It's the large proportion of high draft pick busts like Jackson, King, Rollins, Spriggs, Randall that create the glaring holes in the roster that are so easily exploited in the playoffs.
Look through draft history. Every team misses on draft picks in the first 2 rounds.

Has Jackson ever made any impact on ST’s? Can’t say that I’ve noticed.
Has any player made an impact on STs? Being the best on Packers ST is like having the 'best' venereal disease.

Jackson will always be an anomaly. His rookie year he looked really good in practice and the preseason. It was downhill from there. Not sure what happened. An injury? Who knows. But at one time most thought we had a steal. And not just Packer fans. He was being recognized in the national media.

I think he had one last chance to improve with the new defense and DC. It's time to move on.

Last edited:

Latest posts