Joe Whitt / Winston Moss FIRED - merged threads

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss found out how dangerous blowing steam on Twitter can be for your career! I think this is just one of many assistant coaches in line to be purged. Zook and Whitt are next ;)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...weet-about-aaron-rodgers-and-coaching-search/

I think what he did was actually pretty smart for his career; he was not going to be retained by the next head coach and by standing strong with MM he proved his loyalty. It's obvious that MM likes him, so Moss has pretty much guaranteed he'll get another job with MM, who is extremely loyal to his coaches (to the point of absurdity at times). His comments were obviously ridiculous.

I'm just hoping this whole thing doesn't mess with any of the young corners' development.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree with this. I don't see a "bunch" of guys being coached up in the secondary. 1st Rd. Pick JA had a very good skill set when the Packers drafted him. He was good from the day he stepped on the field. 2nd Round Pick Jackson also brought some decent skills from Iowa. He seemed to be better at the beginning of the season and regressed. 2nd Rd. Pick Kevin King, tough to critique due to injuries, but he doesn't seem to have been coached up. I won't even talk about all the guys before this group, drafted high and out the door. The safeties group this year has been pathetic. Whitt has to go.

I'm fundamentally in the belief that defense is harder to get from a coach teach-player retain and execute standpoint than offense. Meaning if a coach is not totally inept and the players are young, it may be wiser to have a longer leash than on the offensive side. If it's not working offensively get some new voices in and try to get the youngins to buy in right away. Just my way of seeing things; this approach allows me to be okay with MM having to move on but guys like MP/JW to be kept around. But we can agree to disagree...

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's thing I do watch them. Even though I don't necessarily like Skip's biasness when it comes to his dislike for Aaron Rodgers and Lebron James in particular, I do find him and Shannon Sharpe to be entertaining. As for Colin I don't like the narrative he is doing for Rodgers as of late, but I do appreciate his thoughts as I do share similar thoughts when it comes to handling situations, people and what not. Colin confuses me at times, one week he'll praise and defend Rodgers, the next week he'll bury him. He's like a politician in that regard. What I find strange is that he brings up Rodgers former teammates in Jennings and Finley but he had AJ Hawk and Hawk had nothing but praise regarding Rodgers. That's how I know him along with Skip are painting this negative narrative regarding Rodgers. Molly is someone who is a Rodgers hater as well, but that's due to her ******* for Brady.

They're shows that help me start my morning and I appreciate both Undisputed, The Herd and First Take. Each of them bring something to the table that I like. I'm just happy that Max and Stephen A are pro Aaron.

I have enjoyed listening to Colin for many years. He says some harsh things, he definitely goes after people in some interviews. For many years he has been singing the Rodgers is difficult tune and it seems to be more and more clear that he was on to something, even though when he first started singing, everyone was still in awe of him. But what I will say about Colin is that he has a commercial for the show saying "Rodgers and Brady are the deodorant of the NFL. They make the stink go away" I take that as he is acknowledging that Rodgers has no help around him, he is good enough to carry a franchise through struggles. But at the same time, bash him any time that he gets for not having great games. Don't acknowledge the greatness if you aren't going to cut any slack at all when the team is going through a rough patch. And not even make a peep about his pal Luck putting up 0 points last week. That is when I have to turn him off.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is Basicly saying that there is no leadership here. With his new head coach looking for loyalty and stability. Moss took the , tear others down to boost yourself, approach...

Well check this out Moss. You're fired.

How's that for leadership?

Anyone else have anything wise to say? Lol.

And thats how thats done. Lol
I dont think he is saying that at all. He is calling for accountability of AR. This board is the same way, always making excuses for AR and ignoring the obvious slip in his play. My bet is AR has a prima dona attitude. His complaining about his QB coach and cutting of Jordy may be telling. His bad attitude has taken its toll on the team chemistry. You can see the difference in team atmosphere.

Moss probably figured he was gone anyway and wanted to get a parting shot at AR because he thinks ARs attitude and poor play is what got his friend MM fired.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think what he did was actually pretty smart for his career; he was not going to be retained by the next head coach and by standing strong with MM he proved his loyalty. It's obvious that MM likes him, so Moss has pretty much guaranteed he'll get another job with MM, who is extremely loyal to his coaches (to the point of absurdity at times). His comments were obviously ridiculous.

I'm just hoping this whole thing doesn't mess with any of the young corners' development.
While I understand your point of this maybe some how makes Moss look loyal to MM, who is no longer employed by the team that Moss was employed by at the time, it also makes him look disloyal to the team and some of its players. So his next boss has to look at what he did, lit up Social Media with negative PR and decide if he is a good team coach or just a "yes sir coach" guy. You may be right though, MM might now be one of the few HC (if and when he is hired) that will look at Moss. I seriously doubt many organizations like when coaches and/or players turn to social media outlets to air their grievances. Personally, I wish #12 would ditch all of his social media accounts when it comes to Football business.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm fundamentally in the belief that defense is harder to get from a coach teach-player retain and execute standpoint than offense. Meaning if a coach is not totally inept and the players are young, it may be wiser to have a longer leash than on the offensive side. If it's not working offensively get some new voices in and try to get the youngins to buy in right away. Just my way of seeing things; this approach allows me to be okay with MM having to move on but guys like MP/JW to be kept around. But we can agree to disagree...
Yes, I doubt we will ever agree on Joe Whitt. I just don't know how many high round picks you keep giving the guy to "coach up".

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I dont think he is saying that at all. He is calling for accountability of AR. This board is the same way, always making excuses for AR and ignoring the obvious slip in his play.
Maybe true, but none of us on this board are employed by the Green Bay Packers. If Moss wanted to get his pot shots in at AR, he would have been far better off doing it after the Packers fired him.

Will be interesting on how this week of events all play out Sunday and for the rest of the season. While some might think it will fire up the team, I see it doing the opposite. This team appears to be fractured and in turmoil, with both coaches and players all looking around to see who the next guy to point a finger or get fired will be.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Then he'd just look like a disgruntled former employee.
Valid point. :tup: However, I don't think in either scenario its a career boosting move on his part. Much better ways and platforms to get your point across.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The title of this thread is misleading... :confused:
I was the one who started the thread and I labeled it "Fire Joe Whitt". The forum must be running short on paper and one of the mods decided to merge the topic of Moss being fired. Two different topics in my opinion, but whatever. I have to laugh, because we are told to "stay on topic" and now is the topic Winston Moss, Joe Whitt or any future firings that we think should happen or do happen, fair game in this thread? It's going to get mucked up and confusing fast.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree with this. I don't see a "bunch" of guys being coached up in the secondary. 1st Rd. Pick JA had a very good skill set when the Packers drafted him. He was good from the day he stepped on the field. 2nd Round Pick Jackson also brought some decent skills from Iowa. He seemed to be better at the beginning of the season and regressed. 2nd Rd. Pick Kevin King, tough to critique due to injuries, but he doesn't seem to have been coached up. I won't even talk about all the guys before this group, drafted high and out the door. The safeties group this year has been pathetic. Whitt has to go.

Ah this one. Alexander was already good, and has been coached up.

Jackson was one of the grabbiest DB's in the league in preseason, and you can tell he's worked on that. That's getting coached up. His tackling has improved. That's getting coached up. His press and man to man has improved. That's getting coached up.

Kevin King was incredibly raw coming into the NFL. Last year, even when healthy, he was mediocre. This year, when healthy, he has been good. That's getting coached up.

Even guys like Tony Brown, Raven Greene have showed up as UDFA and done decent. Is that not coaching?

Whitt isn't perfect. He certainly isn't the best coach in the league. But the idea that he's some bum that hasn't coached anybody up is ridiculous. And yeah, the safeties have been bad...but what talent is there?! Williams is giving it his all, but he's limited. I don't think any coach could make Josh Jones decent in space and coverage. Kentrell Brice might have peaked and can't stay healthy. You can only do so much with limited talent.

As for early picks:

Randall: Was playing out of position, major attitude issues, still played pretty decent overall.

Rollins: Played well as a rookie, got hurt, lost what little speed he had and never recovered. If it was a coaching issue, surely he would be excelling somewhere else, right?

King: Has developed really well from what he was coming out of college. Don't see how you can fault Whitt for this.

Alexander: Playing well, but it doesn't count bc he was drafted early and was good already. Great excuse btw.

Jackson: Came in raw, has struggled in some spots, played well in spots. Not sure what you're expecting.

Reaction score
There better?

Once threads inadvertently get merged, they are darn near impossible, in this time continuum at least, to split back apart.

I was watching episodes of The Flash on CW where he went back in time to change something and created multiple realities and merged two other worlds together. This thread and ur response was kind of like that lol

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Whitt isn't perfect. He certainly isn't the best coach in the league. But the idea that he's some bum that hasn't coached anybody up is ridiculous.
At least we agree on the highlighted part ;) I never said Whitt is a bum. You may want to interrupt me wanting him fired as that, but it is the same stance I would take with the Whitt apologists who seem to think he is so good he should be promoted to DC.

I'm not going to go through your list of players, that has already been done here and included in that previous discussion was all the other players not on your list that Whitt never seemed to coach up. I just don't know how fans can look at all the draft resources the Packers have pumped into the Secondary over the past 5 years and how poorly they have played individually and as a unit and not hold Joe Whitt accountable. I don't care if Charles Woodson thinks JW is a great guy and coach, all I care about is what I see on the field.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
earlier in the year during one of the assistant coach pressers he basically just stood there, gave one word answers, and finished up saying "i can't you." he didn't want to be there and you could see the contempt he had for the reporters. after that the team didn't make him available to the press. i don't disagree with what he said...he just shouldn't have said it the way he did (if keeping his job was a priority) lol. not that Rodgers has an F to give about being a focus in the comment, but i'm glad he was.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact #12 is being forced to change the play half the time... To be truthfully honest. I'd prefer Rodgers to have free reign of the play calling. Let the master draw outside the lines for once...
Of course coaches wont let that happen. #12 might show them up...

I remember Matt Flynn tossing like 7 tds and 600 yds or something ridiculous back in his record breaking pinnacle performance. McCarthy gave Rodgers the play calling duties to keep his head in the game... Next thing you know its an all out air show. McCarthy took yhe play calling back at the half, and very luckily won that game...

From that day, a half decade ago. I have believed #12 to be in that select group of all time greats , capable of calling all the plays. Honestly, I think he is better than the coaches. The coaches know it. He knows it. And if the brass want to spin this as a problem. Id say fire their ***** too.

If Rodgers is changing the plays so often and he's such a good play caller, then our offense should be a lot better than it is, but it's not.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How come all of this about Rodgers changing plays all the time didnt come up until right now? Who knows if Rodgers is audibling into better or worse plays? None of us. But I am sure we will slant the story and believe what we want to fit our own agenda.

Here are the facts.
The offense looked below average this year.
There have been times previous seasons where it did as well. Most of the time it clicked out of it but this year it didnt.
Our quarterback isnt as accurate this year. He is missing passes he normally does not
We dont use our rbs in the passing game like other teams - whether this is by design or because our qb doesnt look to them isnt something we know for sure.
We dont run as many rub routes as other teams. ESPN had a good piece on this. We are at the bottom of the league especially in the red zone.
Our wrs outside of Adams are incredibly young or injured a lot
Our TEs havent produced.

I get these boards are for speculation. I just wish sometimes posts admitted they were speculating instead of stating things like fact.

Reaction score
How come all of this about Rodgers changing plays all the time didnt come up until right now? Who knows if Rodgers is audibling into better or worse plays? None of us. But I am sure we will slant the story and believe what we want to fit our own agenda.

Here are the facts.
The offense looked below average this year.
There have been times previous seasons where it did as well. Most of the time it clicked out of it but this year it didnt.
Our quarterback isnt as accurate this year. He is missing passes he normally does not
We dont use our rbs in the passing game like other teams - whether this is by design or because our qb doesnt look to them isnt something we know for sure.
We dont run as many rub routes as other teams. ESPN had a good piece on this. We are at the bottom of the league especially in the red zone.
Our wrs outside of Adams are incredibly young or injured a lot
Our TEs havent produced.

I get these boards are for speculation. I just wish sometimes posts admitted they were speculating instead of stating things like fact.

And once we fix those few things we will be golden lol :D Easy Fix! :coffee:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yup. when he hit the "tweet" button he knew exactly what the result would be. now he's got some quality time to spend with his family instead of living at 1265.