Joe Mixon in the 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might want to watch the video on a bigger screen and also read into some of the details of what was being said by Mixon and his buddies, before you draw those conclusions. I also think the "chick who got popped" would trade those 15 seconds of fame to not have to have lived through the pain of having her face broken trying to defend herself against someone who was verbally assaulting her and her friend. But I suppose "she had it coming by the way she was dressed"?

I'm not going to forensically disect this, but it seems pretty clear that she hit him, then grabbed him. I don't feel sorry for her, they both made mistakes. If I'm sitting on a jury and I SEE this video... LEGALLY... I don't see a crime, I see self defense. The gender of the first assailant is moot LEGALLY. I'm 60 years old and grew up in the "there's never an excuse to hit a woman". Those days are over. She made a mistake and suffered for it. Her dress didnt seem out of the ordinary to me??

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to forensically disect this, but it seems pretty clear that she hit him, then grabbed him. I don't feel sorry for her, they both made mistakes. If I'm sitting on a jury and I SEE this video... LEGALLY... I don't see a crime, I see self defense. The gender of the first assailant is moot LEGALLY. I'm 60 years old and grew up in the "there's never an excuse to hit a woman". Those days are over. She made a mistake and suffered for it. Her dress didnt seem out of the ordinary to me??
You clearly have no understanding of the legal requirements necessary for a self defense claim to be valid in court.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Wait......SHE made a mistake? :cautious:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We saw something similar happen last year with Tyler Higbee. He ended up finally getting drafted in the 4th round by the Rams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We something similar happen last year with Tyler Higbee. He ended up finally getting drafted in the 4th round by the Rams.

But you didn't hear a lot about it like Mixon because he's not a young African American. Yep, I sure did make it about race. Because it is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But you didn't hear a lot about it like Mixon because he's not a young African American. Yep, I sure did make it about race. Because it is.

I disagree with that. Higbee made big news too or at least I saw a lot being made of it. Was also viewed as a racial hate crime, so that may have given it some extra air in its sails. Prior to the incident, Higbee was viewed as one of the top 3 TE's in the draft, after the incident, just like Mixon, teams were talking about not wanting a "guy like that" and the PR mess it might bring.

Living in Madison, every year it seems like a star athlete makes the news for doing something stupid and it really doesn't matter what color his/her skin is, but the fact that he/she is a "star" athlete seems to draw more attention to it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

That's such garbage. There was plenty out there on Higbee last year. The news is louder with Mixon because he's a higher profile prospect and because there's graphic video. He's a top 10 type of guy is he's clean. Higbee was a 2nd round pick at best and there was no footage of what he did.

Mixon breaks a girl's face and now he's the victim... of racial discrimination. What a joke.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's such garbage. There was plenty out there on Higbee last year. The news is louder with Mixon because he's a higher profile prospect and because there's graphic video. He's a top 10 type of guy is he's clean. Higbee was a 2nd round pick at best and there was no footage of what he did.

Mixon breaks a girl's face and now he's the victim... of racial discrimination. What a joke.

Nailed it......."Graphic video/footage" sells. In this day and age of Youtube and all of the other video/picture apps on the internet, people want to see this kind of stuff, not read about it, that takes too much time and effort. Had there been graphic video of the Higbee incident, it would still be playing and probably had a great effect on Higbee even getting drafted when he did.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nailed it......."Graphic video/footage" sells. In this day and age of Youtube and all of the other video/picture apps on the internet, people want to see this kind of stuff, not read about it, that takes too much time and effort. Had there been graphic video of the Higbee incident, it would still be playing and probably had a great effect on Higbee even getting drafted when he did.

Case in point: Ray Rice.

Pretty minimal reaction initially to the reports of abusing his wife. 3 game suspension.

The video comes out and all hell breaks loose. Hasn't played since.

By Rodell's logic, it must have been that people didn't realize Rice was black until the video came out. Because obviously America is just full of racists who don't care if white people beat women. We actually encourage it!

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mixon in NO round or UDFA. Let someone else deal with his b.s, cause it's gonna happen again.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We something similar happen last year with Tyler Higbee. He ended up finally getting drafted in the 4th round by the Rams.

ok so if higbee got drafted in 4th Mixon is definitely going in the first. If he somehow falls to 29 TT has got to take the guy, well I guess there's at least a few I'd take over him but they very unlikely to fall that far for example Malik hooker. You're adding a Bell type back at the end of the first round that's great value. Rodgers has never had the luxury of playing with a great back.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Joe Mixon and his teammates hadn't made fun of the whole situation with their TD celebration of fake punching, perhaps I'd be ok with drafting him with the thought that he had learned something. After he proved he didn't learn a thing? The Packers shouldn't draft the guy period. If they do, any further talk of "Packer people" is proved worthless.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...gar-bowl-vs-auburn/1vujo6dj85xip14a7j3gmrsxor

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Joe Mixon and his teammates hadn't made fun of the whole situation with their TD celebration of fake punching, perhaps I'd be ok with drafting him with the thought that he had learned something. After he proved he didn't learn a thing? The Packers shouldn't draft the guy period. If they do, any further talk of "Packer people" is proved worthless.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...gar-bowl-vs-auburn/1vujo6dj85xip14a7j3gmrsxor

I may need a shower after I write what I am about to write. :(

If I was a proscout I would be writing down the names of the players that were "fake punching Mixon" and make sure I asked them about the incident if their names were on my scouting list. While the 4 in the video throwing the fake punches can't be excused for their intentional stupidity, I'm not going to add this to Mixon's already damaged reputation, he looks more like a "victim" of this very immature and poor tasted stunt....I hesitated to say "victim" there, because in my eyes, Mixon's assault on the woman in the restaurant will forever burn in my eyes. The only thing that Mixon could have done in the assault situation that would have helped him, was to actually show some remorse by sticking around at the scene, help the woman he just punched, explain himself and try to fix things. Instead, he high tailed it out of that restaurant, coped a plea deal for the assault and never apologized until the video went viral 2 years later.

Mixon may be a talented football player, but his action off the field will forever be a PR nightmare for him and the team that decides that they don't care about public opinion and it's all just about winning. We all deserve second chances but I wouldn't be happy to see the Packers paying Mixon millions of $'s for his, just because he is a "good football player". Not the message I want young kids today to live by.

D

Deleted member 6794

FWIW the Packers had Mixon in Green Bay for a pre-draft visit earlier this week.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW the Packers had Mixon in Green Bay for a pre-draft visit earlier this week.

my theory is they will take him at 29 if he falls that far. I think someone likes the idea of pairing Rodgers with a legit running back with homerun ability rushing or receiving for the first time in his career.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my theory is they will take him at 29 if he falls that far. I think someone likes the idea of pairing Rodgers with a legit running back with homerun ability rushing or receiving for the first time in his career.

My guess is that it is a smoke screen. I guess it could possibly be doing their do diligence. We'll see.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly hope you're wrong about that.

could definitely be a smoke screen just seems like with TT reputation ever other team would see right through that smoke screen. Doesn't mean he wouldn't attempt it. But I don't get how you don't think he is a good football player? Add him to the offense and defenses really have no chance. I'd say even with just the addition of Bennett the 2017 offense has a chance to rival 2011

D

Deleted member 6794

could definitely be a smoke screen just seems like with TT reputation ever other team would see right through that smoke screen. Doesn't mean he wouldn't attempt it. But I don't get how you don't think he is a good football player? Add him to the offense and defenses really have no chance. I'd say even with just the addition of Bennett the 2017 offense has a chance to rival 2011

I never said anything about Mixon not being a good football player. I don't want him on the team for obvious reasons though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just the fact that the Packers brought Mixon into GB to look at him leads me to the conclusion they have some interest in him and while they may be weighing his off field crap in that decision, it wasn't enough to take the stance of "we will never draft this guy". Whoever drafts Mixon is going to have to get way out ahead of the PR nightmare he will bring with him. I just don't see TT and the Packers wanting that kind of distraction in Green Bay and was shocked and disappointed to hear that he was even brought in.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have serious reservations about the guy, but if they're doing their homework and decide he's ok, then so be it. There will be some talk, but it was 2 years ago, and there will be all sorts of stories that will drown it out soon enough. i'd expect GB to be able to withstand and quell any storm pretty quickly and it would be OTA's and TC as usual for them.

If he's he best at the time, then that's it, though I expect there to be a pass rusher or DB worth taking there too.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I doubt the meetings are about weighing the PR impact, but rather to try and ascertain if the kid made a mistake and is turning a new leaf, or if he's really just a turd.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I doubt the meetings are about weighing the PR impact, but rather to try and ascertain if the kid made a mistake and is turning a new leaf, or if he's really just a turd.

Oh the PR impact has already been thought out by any team thinking about drafting Mixon. I agree with you that interested teams are now trying to find out "who is the real Joe Mixon" and which Joe Mixon are we going to have in the future? One clue teams should have are what Mixon hasn't said ("I am truly sorry") or done (publically apologized to the woman), as well as an incident this past year, where he tore up a parking ticket and threw the pieces in the face of the attendant.

Mixon showed little or no remorse about the incident until the video was released and people started coaching him as to what he should say. He has been very guarded and careful with his words, but the underlying theme with him seems to be "I didn't do anything that bad and I don't want to talk about it, I am a great football player, leave me alone". Even his Alford Plea to the charges say "I'm not guilty, but I know the prosecution has enough evidence to convict me, so I will take the easy way out."

I'm disappointed that the Packers are even considering drafting him. I could care less if he is the next Barry Sanders, I won't be able to get behind a guy that has had almost 3 years to try to make amends, as well as rebuild his character and has only done things that seem to be an attempt to save his own ****. Second chances aren't just about moving forward and ignoring the past, they are about proving to yourself and others that you are remorseful and won't make the same mistake twice. Mixon hasn't proven to me that he even thinks he made a mistake.

Last edited:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear Ted Thompson:

As a lifelong fan, and father of a young girl: I ask that you move Joe Mixon off your draft board.
I understand that its thought you may peruse these and other boards from time to time to gauge fan thoughts, so I will share mine now, hoping you take them into account.

A fools errand, I know...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People make mistakes. I get it. I made many. I was a giant *** as a kid. Got arrest several times, for various reasons. I had a broken home with stepdads, with bad influences, and with less than enviable circumstances the majority of that ride.

What I never did? I never hit a girl. I was never an All Pro, All State, and never broke any records playing sports of any kind.

But I never hit a girl.I was never on tape punching a girl, in anger or defense of myself, no matter the circumstances.

For you to invite in someone who has done what this young man has plead to, giving the idea that we may look at drafting him, does not give to this franchise.

It takes away from this franchise. It says that we will sacrifice principles for the "W".

I hope that Joe Mixon changes my mind. I hope he becomes a great man, husband, and father who once committed a HORRIBLE act when he was a dumb kid, that he wishes he could forget. I do not envy his role.

I hope he goes into the HOF, lives a great life, and this all becomes a footnote, a bad error on his memories of life, an aberration.

All of this said...I hope all of it happens without a G on his helmet.

I would trade him putting 10 trophies in our case with OUR green and gold on his back, knowing his history. I wish him well, but not as a Packer. This isn't about giving a second chance, this is about enabling a known abuser.

I implore you to look at the other deserving young runners who have taken their talents and used them for positive. Please look into the running backs who have shown over time to be dedicated to their craft, without the flags this individual brings along.

After all, we are Packers. That should still mean something.

Sincerely,

A Packers Fan.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online