1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Jim Leonhard

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
  2. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Bring him home.

3. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    True story: Didn't even know he was still in the league

4. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,190
    IMO this is a great idea. Leonhard will be 32 in October but would sign for vet minimum. He's got a vast amount of NFL experience - and experience in the 3-4 although I don't think that matters as much at safety as it does at other positions. The only reason I can see for not to do this is because they signed a different UFA safety they liked better.

Right now the safeties on the team are Burnett, MD Jennings, Sean Richardson, Chris Banjo, and perhaps Micah Hyde if they are planning on moving him to safety. We've seen enough of Jennings, I hope they have too. I'd like to see a first, second or third round pick at safety if it makes sense at the time of the pick and Richardson has a chance to be a good safety. But what an inexpensive insurance policy Leonhard would provide. Leonhard's age is outside of Thompson's MO, but the cost would more than fit his UFA MO. And it would be a no risk signing: If Richardson and a rookie emerge at safety and/or Hyde and another player look to be the answer, they could waive Leonhard and it'd cost them nothing.

A cheap, experienced vet who will sign at vet minimum at a position of need who wants to be a Packer - c'mon Thompson, no reason not to do this (unless you sign a different UFA safety).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    Would be similar to the Saturday signing I think

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +3,190
    Money-wise it would be cheaper. Saturday reportedly received a 2-year $7.75M contract including $4M the first year. I'm not sure what the minimum would be for Leonhard, but I believe it would be a little less than $1M/year.

7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    He's lost a step and a half. Sadly.
    Terrible injuries to the knees will do that.

Let Collins play if he wants to play.

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,672
    I agree with you that Leonhard won´t be the answer at safety. Collins won´t play in the league anymore and no team will and should clear him to.

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    As with anybody, I'd be fine with Green Bay bringing him in for a workout and checking out his knees. I'm not sure that him being a veteran implies that he can magically coach/fix/mentor away our problems in the secondary, especially when he's never played in Capers' defense. If he can play and his knees still have some life, he might be worth the veteran $1m minimum.

What caught my attention most in the article was this commentary about Thompson:
    I'm not trying to shift the focus of the thread, but it seems to imply that a factor in Thompson's decisions to sign free agents is whether it will cost him a potential compensatory pick. I really hope that it's a small factor. Despite the positive spin put on by Packers.com writer Mike Spofford (see link below), our compensatory picks haven't really had much impact during Thompson's era:
    http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-Packers/40fe0c8f-8c73-4876-9fb1-a3a1df77e6ae

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,672
    Well, Sitton and Daniels have turned out to be pretty good players.

11. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I'd take Daniels and Sitton over the majority of free agents. Plus, not hitting on a draft pick tends to be much cheaper than not hitting on a free agent.

Anyway, Leonhard for cheap seems like a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    Jim Leonhard is 32?? Wow. It's a shame what injuries has done to him. Wouldn't hurt to see what he has left in the tank. I can't imagine he'd be much worse than what has been back there for us lately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +3,190
    Leonhard will be 32 in October and of course they shouldn't sign him if he can't pass the physical or it's obvious he's lost so much speed he can no longer be effective. But I disagree about the value of his experience. Leonhard was a very savvy player in college and IMO it's likely he'd pick up Dom's D very quickly. Not that he'd fix all the problems in the secondary, but I think he'd be a very valuable insurance policy if he's OK physically.

I too hope future comp picks play a very small, or no part in deciding about signing UFAs. As to their value, the earliest is like the first pick in the fourth round before comp picks were awarded so they're value is like other mid- to late-round picks, except they can't be traded.

14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,560
    Having watched a fair amount of Bills football this past season I can say with some assurances that Jim Leonard is not somebody to get excited about. He was probably the weakest link in that defense when he played; not the least impactful.

I have a hard time worrying about who may or may not be the 3rd. safety.

15. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +190
    I'd have to do some detailed analysis, but I suspect you're being short sighted. Yes, his comp picks haven't always panned out.

I am curious if TT is more willing to trade up when he has a comp pick to help cover his bases. Nothing happens in a vacuum and all that jazz.

16. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    Could be and wouldn't be the first time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +190
    Hey now, I was trying to be nice.

18. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    Dont waste the money..could just bring in a younger more athletic healthy safety if its depth you want.

19. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LeonJi23.htm

Ummm.... NO. He has not played a full season since 2009. Injury bug? Maybe, but that is the last thing we need. Not to mention that he has no standout stats whatsoever. No thanks, save the little bit of cash he would cost and put that somewhere it could be more usefull. Also, he is a 5'8" DB..... we would have yet another undersized DB that QB's would pick on all day long.

• Agree Agree x 1