JC Tretter still has plenty to prove

D

Deleted member 6794

Not good news, but I guess what you'd expect from a lineman who has never played center at any level.

IMO the Packers took a huge gamble when they let EDS walk away in free agency. Tretter has struggled during the first few days of camp and he has to improve significantly to make it work. I think Linsley is a viable backup plan, but it´s still too early to hit the panic button.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the Packers took a huge gamble when they let EDS walk away in free agency. Tretter has struggled during the first few days of camp and he has to improve significantly to make it work. I think Linsley is a viable backup plan, but it´s still too early to hit the panic button.
Agreed, but I'd hit the panic button before someone hits Rogers.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
What did Tampa Bay end up paying EDS? Think it might have been in the 3 to 4 million per year range. We cant pay a proven center in EDS that type of money, but we pay brad jones to stand around flat footed and get burned like toast.....wow.

D

Deleted member 6794

What did Tampa Bay end up paying EDS? Think it might have been in the 3 to 4 million per year range. We cant pay a proven center in EDS that type of money, but we pay brad jones to stand around flat footed and get burned like toast.....wow.

EDS got a four-year, $14.25 million ($7.25 million guaranteed) contract from the Bucs.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT sees more in Tretter than he did in EDS, so why would he spend any money to keep EDS? We're only 5 days into training camp... plenty of time for both Tretter and Linsley to get up-to-speed at OC.

Sitton got bullrush-burned by Boyd, yesterday... do we need to panic about finding a new Guard? One on one battles aren't the full measure of an interior lineman, there's usually "help" on either side of them in game situations.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
TT sees more in Tretter than he did in EDS, so why would he spend any money to keep EDS? We're only 5 days into training camp... plenty of time for both Tretter and Linsley to get up-to-speed at OC.

Sitton got bullrush-burned by Boyd, yesterday... do we need to panic about finding a new Guard?

Well, that is just a silly/smug statement.

Even Arod wanted to keep EDS around, you might want to listen to your franchise QB. They had good chemistry, and that matters A LOT. Arod is not pleased that he has has soooo many different centers. EDS was a cheap OC and a decent one as well.

You statement about sitton is just plain dumb too.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sitton got bullrush-burned by Boyd, yesterday... do we need to panic about finding a new Guard? One on one battles aren't the full measure of an interior lineman, there's usually "help" on either side of them in game situations.

Sitton has proved that he's one of the best guards in the league, Tretter hasn't played a single snap at center in his career.

I think there's good reason to be concerned about the center position.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both valid points, Oshkosh & Cpt, but MY point was not to panic over the early days of training camp. After significant time away from the field nobody is perfect. If Tretter is struggling after preseason game #2 I'll start getting nervous, but IMHO the kid deserves some time to get acclimated. OC is just another TT-roll of the dice...

D

Deleted member 6794

Both valid points, Oshkosh & Cpt, but MY point was not to panic over the early days of training camp. After significant time away from the field nobody is perfect. If Tretter is struggling after preseason game #2 I'll start getting nervous, but IMHO the kid deserves some time to get acclimated. OC is just another TT-roll of the dice...

As I mentioned before I'm not yet ready to hit the panic button but the center position is a concern to me.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I mentioned before I'm not yet ready to hit the panic button but the center position is a concern to me.
And now to make things worse, I'm hearing (nothing official) that Linsley may have a significant injury.
If that rumor turns out to be true: so much for plan B.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Rotoworld these are the current available free agent centers:
Centers

1. David Baas
2. Dan Koppen
3. Kyle Cook
4. Ryan Cook
5. Samson Satele
6. Jim Cordle
7. Andre Gurode
8. Steve Vallos
9. Scott Wedige

Obviously none of these guys are pro bowlers, but all have experience playing center at the NFL level. If one of them is healthy he'll likely be on the roster before the end of camp if the rookies (including Tretter) aren't the answer. Even if it's decided that Barclay or another guard can play the position it would be nice to have an experienced center, even as a backup, on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You know he is struggling when Raji is getting past him :)
Tretter is essentially a first year player that has never played center. Raji is a 5th year veteran that was the #9 pick in the 2009 draft. If he isn't giving Tretter problems, that is in itself a major problem for the defense.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had heard Thursday or Friday that Tretter was having problems in 1 on 1 drills. From my perspective Linsley has been the guy for this position here's why. Linsley played power football at Center in the big 10 on a very good Big 10 team. Tretter has never played Center anywhere on any level, any conference. Tretter was injured last year, and I have to wonder if we're getting a good solid player that had a freak injury or Justin Harrell with him. I'm willing to give him 2 pre-season games to prove himself, but if he can't you have to go with Linsley I believe. I also do not believe Garth Gerhart is the answer for the simple reason that the only thing the JS could say positive about him is his number of benchpresses at the combine. BTW of the 3 Linsley had a slightly higher Wunderlic, though I doubt that matters much during a game.

I think we'll all agree that job #1 is keeping Aaron Rodgers off the obituary page, and whether that's Tretter, Linsley, Gerhart, Koppen, Satele, or someone else, I'm all for it.

I am very concerned about this position enough to wonder if we couldn't move Bakhtiari and Sitton in a spot and put Sherrod at LT in an emergency to shore up this position while we were training someone (Satele or Koppen are my suggestions) in our offense.

Also is Barclay an option at Center? Or is he strictly G/T?

D

Deleted member 6794

I had heard Thursday or Friday that Tretter was having problems in 1 on 1 drills. From my perspective Linsley has been the guy for this position here's why. Linsley played power football at Center in the big 10 on a very good Big 10 team. Tretter has never played Center anywhere on any level, any conference. Tretter was injured last year, and I have to wonder if we're getting a good solid player that had a freak injury or Justin Harrell with him. I'm willing to give him 2 pre-season games to prove himself, but if he can't you have to go with Linsley I believe. I also do not believe Garth Gerhart is the answer for the simple reason that the only thing the JS could say positive about him is his number of benchpresses at the combine. BTW of the 3 Linsley had a slightly higher Wunderlic, though I doubt that matters much during a game.

I think we'll all agree that job #1 is keeping Aaron Rodgers off the obituary page, and whether that's Tretter, Linsley, Gerhart, Koppen, Satele, or someone else, I'm all for it.

I am very concerned about this position enough to wonder if we couldn't move Bakhtiari and Sitton in a spot and put Sherrod at LT in an emergency to shore up this position while we were training someone (Satele or Koppen are my suggestions) in our offense.

Also is Barclay an option at Center? Or is he strictly G/T?

I'm also concerned about the center position but let's wait until Tretter has played at least some snaps in the preseason before evaluating him on what happened during practice.

IMO Linsley should be the backup in case Tretter can't play, I don't want them to move guys around on the OL.

BTW Satele is off the market as he signed with the Dolphins today.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A rookie O lineman used to brag about shutting down reggie white in practice. Lets not get too excited one way or another in camp. If during 1st team reps Tretter is getting blown up in the preseason then we can start to worry

Members online

Latest posts