Jax dud and studs

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special teams nearly lost GB this game.
  1. Not fielding punts and causing the O to get pinned multiple times
  2. 90 yard punt return for a TD - I want to say the returner was untouched too, but I may be wrong about that.
  3. JK isn't very good. I wouldn't be opposed with finding a new punter at this point.
I swear GB has had some of the worst special teams play over the past decade.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If we played the jets it would be the same thing a nail biter.. do you rmbr the browns when they were winless? We played them with hundley it was a absolute struggle against them. They should have lost if Kizer didn’t suck... THEN they go and trade for him after he goes winless lol on a side note I think our team is the same as last year except our offense is better and our defense is worse. In the end same result blown out in the playoffs and they aren’t gonna sniff around the nfc championship cuz they are gonna play someone from the nfc west saints or bucs for there first game Lol

Oh, the Jets would beat them by at least four scores! WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE!!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue the stats, on paper they probably did well. and I know they didn't give up many points, that's good. But watching them, I didn't feel like they did anything to help themselves until the end. maybe 2 or 3 plays the entire game outside of that last drive.

Most times it seemed Jax was getting more out of a play because of effort, missed tackle from our defense than they should have been. Poor throws, dropped balls and penalties seemed to be what killed Jax drives, not any sort of big play by our defense.

Jax defense is not that good and they came to play at least. They covered, they ran to the ball, they tackled, they actually made their own plays happen. I've never seen such a passive defense out there for a winning team before until the end of the game. Everything that happened out there seemed to happen to them rather than make something happen.

Our offense and special teams had their own issues to be sure, this isn't laying carpet blame on a defense for the close game at all, but I think it was far from a good game for them.

I agree with you that the effort across the defense as a unit is wanting. I think individual players are playing hard, but as an entire defense, they're lackadaisical at times. And I don't know if that's coaching or the individuals or a combination of the two. People often say that professionals should not need a coach to fire them up to play hard, but it's still a reality that some coaches consistently get guys to play hard and some do not.

That said, the defense only allowed 6 points that were "honestly" earned by Jacksonville. The PR touchdown was obviously not on them, and the other TD was a 26 yard drive.

If they gave up even one real touchdown drive on the day, the Packers lose to a horrible team at home. So I give them credit for holding up with a beat up secondary in a game where the offense and special teams did them no favors.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Next week we face the best O-line in the league. Jonathan Taylor could have a big day. Gotta get Dean Lowry out of there. He's continually gets blown off the LOS. Didn't notice Kirksey out there and Kamal Martin didn't make the stat sheet. I don't see any hope for this group.

Both Kirksey and Martin flashed yesterday.

The Colts are 20th in rush yards per game and 29th in rush yards per carry. They're a terrible running team.

Now a terrible running team can find success against the Packers, especially if the offense doesn't build a lead. But there's nothing particularly effective to fear about Indy's ground game.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Kirksey and Martin flashed yesterday.

The Colts are 20th in rush yards per game and 29th in rush yards per carry. They're a terrible running team.

Now a terrible running team can find success against the Packers, especially if the offense doesn't build a lead. But there's nothing particularly effective to fear about Indy's ground game.

I fear Q Nelson. Just in general. He looks mean.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you notice that originally that the Packers were lined up for prevent defense. They then called time out and changed to a four man rush and got pressure on the QB. I wonder if MLF was behind the change.
I hope so. And that we have no more 3 man rushes.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably because LaFleur hardly ran those kinds of plays all game

Anyway, biggest question mark for this team is how do you get em fired up each and every week? Because when they are fired up, they can play with the best of them including the Steelers I'd say.

Other silver lining is I didn't expect them to be at 7-2 again at this point in the season, so there is that. Bad thing is if we end up falling just short of the SB again, this last year's draft is going to go into the record books as a huge blown opportunity for getting those missing pieces that would have gotten us there.

They ran those types of plays early on, and abandoned them when they got no traction.

As to how to motivate this team, the coaching staff shouldn't have to - These are professionals, getting paid and all that. They do tend to look flat in certain games, however, although I have no idea what the fix for that is. The worry is that this is not an aberration, this is who they are.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special teams nearly lost GB this game.
  1. Not fielding punts and causing the O to get pinned multiple times
  2. 90 yard punt return for a TD - I want to say the returner was untouched too, but I may be wrong about that.
  3. JK isn't very good. I wouldn't be opposed with finding a new punter at this point.
I swear GB has had some of the worst special teams play over the past decade.
Shepherd had a couple bad games last year as punt returner. But he looks more comfortable catching punts than Ervin. Though Ervin should be returning Kick Offs. Shepherd is too fancy for that. And not big enough.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably because LaFleur hardly ran those kinds of plays all game

Anyway, biggest question mark for this team is how do you get em fired up each and every week? Because when they are fired up, they can play with the best of them including the Steelers I'd say.

Other silver lining is I didn't expect them to be at 7-2 again at this point in the season, so there is that. Bad thing is if we end up falling just short of the SB again, this last year's draft is going to go into the record books as a huge blown opportunity for getting those missing pieces that would have gotten us there.
That’s an assumption that rookies would of have made enough of a consistently positive impact to change the look and character of the team which imo is a very big reach. I’m way less enamored with rookies I guess than most others here. Imo, they are very susceptible to aggregious “rookie mistakes”.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That’s an assumption that rookies would of have made enough of a consistently positive impact to change the look and character of the team which imo is a very big reach. I’m way less enamored with rookies I guess than most others here. Imo, they are very susceptible to aggregious “rookie mistakes”.

This. The impact of drafting Love instead of a player at another position will be felt most significantly in 2021, 2022, etc. Rookie contributions typically are not significant enough to make a dramatic difference unless you're picking really high, or you really hit on a rare gem.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
PFF says the Packers pressured Luton on 13/38 drop backs. On those snaps, he was 1/10 for 7 yards and an INT.

Pettine and some of the backups have been the whipping boys this season, and as I keep saying I am not here to tell anyone he's doing a great job, but the real problem this season has been that the Packers high end investments on the front 7 have not been producing-- Smith's, Clark, Gary.

When they produce, good things happen on defense.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF says the Packers pressured Luton on 13/38 drop backs. On those snaps, he was 1/10 for 7 yards and an INT.

Pettine and some of the backups have been the whipping boys this season, and as I keep saying I am not here to tell anyone he's doing a great job, but the real problem this season has been that the Packers high end investments on the front 7 have not been producing-- Smith's, Clark, Gary.

I agree. However, 10 weeks in I don't think it's going to happen.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine is a dinosaur to me. That said, I saw he blitzed a corner on one play. If it would have been a pass play; it would have been a sack. But did not see it again. I'm not saying to blitz the corner all the time. But sometimes, when there are enough men to cover receivers on one side, it can be a lot more effective than just sending a linebacker and clogging up the middle.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They ran those types of plays early on, and abandoned them when they got no traction.

As to how to motivate this team, the coaching staff shouldn't have to - These are professionals, getting paid and all that. They do tend to look flat in certain games, however, although I have no idea what the fix for that is. The worry is that this is not an aberration, this is who they are.

Mike Holmgren disagrees with this

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don’t know if he’s still hurt, but Kenny Clark has been pretty meh.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Could be true, but I'd have rather taken the risk that picking a DL for example would have at least gotten our front a little more stout up there, or a CB that might have been an upgrade over Josh Jackson. Not too much of a reach imo.

Either way, top 3 picks should not be used on a QB when Rodgers is not retiring for at least another 5 years, a RB that LaFleur refuses to use, and a 4th string TE.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score

Fear is a powerful motivator. Fear of not playing, fear of being replaced, or fear of being cut. I would be that all successful NFL organizations rely upon fear as a motivator. It is when an organization becomes complacent and the players feel a sense of entitlement is when it starts going south. Every time a player gets a big contract I wonder if they will embrace the challenge or get lazy because they have been paid.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree. However, 10 weeks in I don't think it's going to happen.

Who can say? They obviously have it in them. We saw it for most of last season. It's going to come down to how they round into form come playoff time.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you that the effort across the defense as a unit is wanting. I think individual players are playing hard, but as an entire defense, they're lackadaisical at times. And I don't know if that's coaching or the individuals or a combination of the two. People often say that professionals should not need a coach to fire them up to play hard, but it's still a reality that some coaches consistently get guys to play hard and some do not.

That said, the defense only allowed 6 points that were "honestly" earned by Jacksonville. The PR touchdown was obviously not on them, and the other TD was a 26 yard drive.

If they gave up even one real touchdown drive on the day, the Packers lose to a horrible team at home. So I give them credit for holding up with a beat up secondary in a game where the offense and special teams did them no favors.

You know I have a theory.....

So last year 2019, this Defense gelled incredibly well - led by the Smith brothers continually forcing it to do so. Outings, group get togethers and such. Covid destroyed any sense of being able to do that this year to the same degree....instead of interviews with the Smiths attached at the hip laughing and carrying on we get clinical interviews with masked individuals.

I have been very critical of Preston this year performance wise, and at times the whole unit...but as crazy as it is - I do think we have a lot of guys that excel in a team feel more than a bunch of individuals that on Sunday hit the field together.

D

Deleted member 6794

JK Scott with the most pathetic attempt at a tackle I have ever seen, if you can call it that. That was bad even for a punter.

You most likely haven't seen Philipp Rivers' attempt at a tackle last week.

Crosby has been a pretty clutch kicker for us.

No.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/e...nition of a clutch,extra points for 2015-2019.

Didn't notice Kirksey out there and Kamal Martin didn't make the stat sheet.

Martin only played 13 snaps on defense for some reason.

Remind me again who the Jaguar's one win was against.

The Colts have significantly improved since week 1 though.

That’s an assumption that rookies would of have made enough of a consistently positive impact to change the look and character of the team which imo is a very big reach. I’m way less enamored with rookies I guess than most others here.

If I remember correctly you were very much enamored with rookies as long as the Packers were among the league leaders in snaps played by first year players.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You most likely haven't seen Philipp Rivers' attempt at a tackle last week.

No.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2020/clutch-kicks-1985-2019#:~:text=The definition of a clutch,extra points for 2015-2019.

Martin only played 13 snaps on defense for some reason.

The Colts have significantly improved since week 1 though.

If I remember correctly you were very much enamored with rookies as long as the Packers were among the league leaders in snaps played by first year players.
When in the world did I ever insinuate that I was enamored with rookies???

seriously Capt. Why do you feel it necessary to argue just about every point some of us make?

Members online

Latest posts