Jared Abbrederis

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironically we really aren't stacked at WR. #1-3 sure we're set. #4-6 not even a lil bit.

Im not high on Montgomery but he'll get a roster spot simply based off his draft position but NEITHER Janis or Abbredariss has anything to warrent a whole lot of confidence and for some reason a certain poster took offence to a few others suggesting they'll go into camp on equal footing.

Crazy right? With Abbredaris having been on IR all year and Janis having the on the field production of a player only slightly better then someone who spent the year on IR it's crazy how people can think we're stacked at WR after or top 3. We got potential at the 4-6 spots yes. But potential gets coachs fired

I realize that my statement is based on potential given that Abbrederis and Janis haven't taken any meaningful regular season snaps and Montgomery is a rookie, but based on the limited sample size I've seen and the Packers track record for developing WR's, I feel our depth at the position is strong. If you are worried about our WR depth, then I can only imagine how you feel about or ILB position.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing I have been trying to get you to understand is that Janis has some weaknesses as well and while he's way more athletic than Abby he has to improve his route running and catching radius. He hasn't done that enough during last season to move past Boykin or even Dorsey on the depth chart.

Just tossing this out there..

If a guy isnt cracking the lineup or moving up on depth chart- Sometimes he can't handle playbook. Plain and simple.

Not saying that is the case here...Or that every player buried on the chart is in that category. Just that it does happen

So dont assume that anyone is buried cuz his talent sucks

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abbrederis will have trouble beating press coverage if he hasn't improved his upper body strength since last year's combine, there's no doubt about that. I hope that spending a season with the Packers training staff has made him stronger.

BTW I'm well aware of Abbrederis shortcomings and if you go back the entire thread I've never said anything about being convinced that he will make an impact with the Packers in 2015.

The thing I have been trying to get you to understand is that Janis has some weaknesses as well and while he's way more athletic than Abby he has to improve his route running and catching radius. He hasn't done that enough during last season to move past Boykin or even Dorsey on the depth chart.

Again, neither of those guys were rookies last year and both likely knew the playbook better than any rookie would have, including Abbrederis. There were many times that Adams looked lost on the field, and that's fine to let one guy learn on the job like that, but you don't want two guys learning on the job on the field at the same time. Either way, Boykin and Dorsey are history. If they truly thought either one of them had a brighter future than Janis, don't you think they would have re-signed at least one of them? They would have been cheap.

It's possibly that both, only one or none of them will actually make the Packers final roster. If Nelson, Cobb and Adams will stay healthy again for an entire season I would be surprised if any other receiver on the roster would make a huge impact during next season.

I don't think were actually that far apart in the grand scheme of things. Primarily, the main thing for me is I don't see how anyone could consider Abbrederis the favorite over Janis at this point right now. All bets are off after the draft. Guys move ahead of other guys who were drafted earlier in the same draft pretty frequently. Donald Driver (Dee Miller), anyone? Matt Flynn (Brian Brohm)? Mike Daniels (Jerel Worthy)? Charles Lee (Joey Jamison, Anthony Lucas)?

It's my honest and reasonable opinion that Janis's experience working in the Packers system, as much as you may want to trivialize it, is greater than Abbrederis's and that gives him a slight edge at this point. I never said that couldn't change, but I'm talking about this minute.

Like you said, who knows? Maybe they keep both. Maybe they keep White and Coxson and cut both.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I realize that my statement is based on potential given that Abbrederis and Janis haven't taken any meaningful regular season snaps and Montgomery is a rookie, but based on the limited sample size I've seen and the Packers track record for developing WR's, I feel our depth at the position is strong. If you are worried about our WR depth, then I can only imagine how you feel about or ILB position.

There's absolutely no reason to be concerned about the top three receivers on the team. If Nelson, Cobb and Adams stay healthy for the entire season I don't expect another WR to have any meaningful impact on the 2015 season. There are a lot of question marks behind them on the depth chart though and mostly teams need more than three receivers over the course of a season.

At ILB we're talking about being concerned about the starters, that's a whole different level of worry.

Just tossing this out there..

If a guy isnt cracking the lineup or moving up on depth chart- Sometimes he can't handle playbook. Plain and simple.

Not saying that is the case here...Or that every player buried on the chart is in that category. Just that it does happen

So dont assume that anyone is buried cuz his talent sucks

True, that's another possibility as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, neither of those guys were rookies last year and both likely knew the playbook better than any rookie would have, including Abbrederis. There were many times that Adams looked lost on the field, and that's fine to let one guy learn on the job like that, but you don't want two guys learning on the job on the field at the same time. Either way, Boykin and Dorsey are history. If they truly thought either one of them had a brighter future than Janis, don't you think they would have re-signed at least one of them? They would have been cheap.

NFL teams will line up the best players on the roster at a specific position regardless of experience. The fact that Janis wasn't able to move past Boykin and Dorsey on the depth chart last season tells me that he wasn't ready to play at the pro level. We will have to wait and see how much he has improved by the start of the 2015 season.

The Packers made the correct decision to not re-sign Boykin and by releasing Dorsey it's obvious they were convinced he won't make it at the pro level. IMO drafting Montgomery in the third round puts both Abbrederis and Janis on notice to either stay healthy or show major improvement.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL teams will line up the best players on the roster at a specific position regardless of experience. The fact that Janis wasn't able to move past Boykin and Dorsey on the depth chart last season tells me that he wasn't ready to play at the pro level in the Packers' complex system.

I had to fixed the end of your post to be a little more representative of the situation.

Of course he wasn't ready to have a major role in the Packers offense. I doubt Abbrederis would have been any more ready either. He simply wasn't strong enough and neither of them had played in an offense nearly as complex as the Packers.

Like I said, when was the last time you saw a potential Super Bowl team put two rookie WRs on the field together? You can deal with one rookie being given simplified routes and being lost on the field from time to time, but in 4 WR sets, you don't want to two of them to be green.

The Packers made the correct decision to not re-sign Boykin and by releasing Dorsey it's obvious they were convinced he won't make it at the pro level. IMO drafting Montgomery in the third round puts both Abbrederis and Janis on notice to either stay healthy or show major improvement.

I would add "get stronger" to that mix since MM has specifically made reference to it. If you believe the whispers coming from 1265 (and I generally do unless there is a compelling reason not to) then both of those both players are on track, so we'll see where it shakes out. My gut tells me it'll shake out as follows, but we'll see:

1. Nelson
2. Cobb
3. Adams
4. Janis/Montgomery
5. Montgomery/Janis
6. Abbrederis/Coxson

But who knows, maybe McCarthy will be proven a fool for saying he thinks Janis will take a big step. Note, the actual quote is, "I think Jeff is going to take a big step. He’s got a big catching radius, and he needs to utilize it. Obviously, I think we all saw his vertical speed. He’s an extremely physical young man. He’s an Olympian in the weight room. He’s got a lot of raw skill, and I look for him to make that jump."

That's a bit different from a coach generically saying, "I expect <insert name> to take a big step." Obviously a coach expects every player to take a big step. I can say that I expect my kids to keep their rooms clean. That doesn't mean I think they will. But if I say I think my kids will keep their rooms clean, that's a prediction. What McCarthy made was a prediction, and I'm pretty sure he's in a far better position to predict what his players will do than anyone else.

The most significant quote this offseason from McCarthy I could find on Abbrederis is, "Jared is here every day. So, he just has to get stronger, a little bigger. Everybody felt great about the way he showed in spring and the training camp he was having. So, yeah, definitely. It won't be for lack of work ethic, that's for sure."

Take that for what you will, but to me it sounds to me like MM considers Janis to be a bit ahead of where Abbrederis is right now. My question about the Abbrederis quote centers around the last sentence. In that sentences, what is "it?" The understood part of the last sentence seems to be, "If he doesn't make the team" or at least, "If he doesn't progress." Maybe it's simply, "If he doesn't get healthy by training camp." I don't know.

Anyway, I'm gonna go try to play golf. Have a nice evening. I'll check back later.

H

HardRightEdge

Once again, I told you not to put too much or any stock into preseason STATS. It's the game film and reports from practice I'm looking at, in a receiver's case trying to get information about his route running, catching radius and being able to adjust his routes depending on the defensive look.
And hands...don't forget the hands! ;) The rest is for naught if the ball is dropped.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Look at the two quotes in GoPGo’s last post. McCarthy on Janis: "I think Jeff is going to take a big step. He’s got a big catching radius, and he needs to utilize it. Obviously, I think we all saw his vertical speed. He’s an extremely physical young man. He’s an Olympian in the weight room. He’s got a lot of raw skill, and I look for him to make that jump." Then McCarthy on Abbrederis: "Jared is here every day. So, he just has to get stronger, a little bigger. Everybody felt great about the way he showed in spring and the training camp he was having. So, yeah, definitely. It won't be for lack of work ethic, that's for sure." It’s interesting GoPGo provides quotes that go against his opinion. McCarthy is clearly commenting on Janis’ physical abilities – his speed and his physicality. But he says he’s got to use his catching radius and he’s raw. Raw = not ready. Then look at what McCarthy said about Abbrederis. A fair reading of those two comments is Janis has great physical attributes that need to be developed and Abbrederis was the more ready of the two: Everybody felt great about the TC he was having.

I do give GoPGo credit for backtracking though. For example, he tries to soften his "Boykin earned his spot and no rookie was going to supplant him no matter what" statement with: “Like I said, when was the last time you saw a potential Super Bowl team put two rookie WRs on the field together?" And he went from posting just because Abbrederis was taken 60 picks ahead of Janis didn’t mean they were higher on Abbrederis to: "If you believe the whispers coming from 1265 … then both of those both players are on track, so we'll see where it shakes out" and "Like you said, who knows? Maybe they keep both. Maybe they keep White and Coxson and cut both."

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My last word on this is that if Janis or Abbrederis grabs the last spot, probably 6th, it will be Janis. Neither will land on the PS. It's Green Bay for one of them, another team for one of them.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody felt great about the way he showed in spring and the training camp he was having.

Yes, Abbrederis had a whole week of training camp.

In case you weren't aware, had good things to say about Janis's camp too:

"Jeff Janis has made a play every day he's been out there," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said after Tuesday's practice. "He made another big play today. He looks good. Hopefully, we can get him fully cleared by the medical staff for Saturday night against the St. Louis Rams. I really like what he's done so far."

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I've posted in some other threads that I'm pretty skeptical about using Montgomery as a traditional WR.
What makes you think that they are going to use Montgomery as a traditional WR. I'm not sure even what that term means in the Packer offensive scheme. I don't see Abbrederis and Janis being remotely similar in skills and abilities. Montgomery looks to be entirely different from anything we have on the roster as well.

H

HardRightEdge

What makes you think that they are going to use Montgomery as a traditional WR. I'm not sure even what that term means in the Packer offensive scheme. I don't see Abbrederis and Janis being remotely similar in skills and abilities. Montgomery looks to be entirely different from anything we have on the roster as well.
Montgomery is "more like a Cobb", "he's a bigger Cobb", according to Packer scout Sam Seale.

That he would be characterized as fitting the slot role should not be a surprise. He has the preferred size and physicality for work in the danger zone, and is a fit for the occasional surprise backfield snap. It's already been noted elsewhere that he struggles on deep balls over his head, not a good look for a wideout.

Montgomery would project as Cobb's backup and as the second slot in 4-wide looks when a TE is not used. Unless Abbrederis has undergone a remarkable physical transformation, he's ill-suited to that role. Everything about Janis says wideout/stretch the field; any "catch radius" issues would be particularly exposed on middle throws in tight quarters.

In the event of injury to either Nelson and Adams, there are a couple of ways to go. One would be to move Cobb to wideout and Montgomery to the slot. Cobb has the experience to run the more diverse route tree at wideout and the option routes that demand chemistry with the QB. In the event of an injury to Nelson, the idea of Adams and either Abbrederis, Janis or any of the other candidates at wide out presents a severe experience deficit.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And now there is the report that McCarthy was impressed with Montgomery. That does it, now I know they are just going to hand the #4 spot to Montgomery. He was the latest WR to impress Coach McCarthy and that is what really matters.

On a side note, what the heck is up with "catch radius" it seems to be the new buzzword. I never saw it or heard it before and now it seems to be the standard by which all WRs are judged.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would add "get stronger" to that mix since MM has specifically made reference to it. If you believe the whispers coming from 1265 (and I generally do unless there is a compelling reason not to) then both of those both players are on track, so we'll see where it shakes out. My gut tells me it'll shake out as follows, but we'll see:

1. Nelson
2. Cobb
3. Adams
4. Janis/Montgomery
5. Montgomery/Janis
6. Abbrederis/Coxson

I´ve repeatedly said that Abbrederis has to get stronger. Regarding your depth chart I really wonder what Coxson has done to deserve to be on par with Abby???

My last word on this is that if Janis or Abbrederis grabs the last spot, probably 6th, it will be Janis. Neither will land on the PS. It's Green Bay for one of them, another team for one of them.

If you think either Janis or Abbrederis will end camp sixth on the depth chart I´m interested in who you think will be #5 on it???

I´ve never said anything about the Packers using Montgomery as a traditional receiver. The team will find a way to get him on the field but most likely with him lining up in the backfield or catching a screen or hitch.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´ve repeatedly said that Abbrederis has to get stronger. Regarding your depth chart I really wonder what Coxson has done to deserve to be on par with Abby???

If you think either Janis or Abbrederis will end camp sixth on the depth chart I´m interested in who you think will be #5 on it???

I´ve never said anything about the Packers using Montgomery as a traditional receiver. The team will find a way to get him on the field but most likely with him lining up in the backfield or catching a screen or hitch.
I agree with this.
Montgomery will be given the opportunity to return kicks and perhaps some gimicky type plays out of the backfield.

H

HardRightEdge

And now there is the report that McCarthy was impressed with Montgomery. That does it, now I know they are just going to hand the #4 spot to Montgomery. He was the latest WR to impress Coach McCarthy and that is what really matters.

On a side note, what the heck is up with "catch radius" it seems to be the new buzzword. I never saw it or heard it before and now it seems to be the standard by which all WRs are judged.
One report had Montgomery dropping a deep ball in the rookie OTA; there's a long way to go, but sometimes what you see is what you get.

McCarthy says nice things about his developmental players when asked. And as developmental players, he'll at times cite the things they need to work on. What else would one expect? If he does not comment on a particular player, it might just be the reporters have not asked.

"Catch radius" is nothing new. It's come up quite a bit in these quarters because of McCarthy's use of the term in commenting on Janis. It's important, but it's only one thing in evaluating a receiver.

So, what is it?

Start with height, wing span and vertical jump. Add some intangibles like body control and the ability to adjust to the ball. "NFL open" is usually a tight window...the better the catch radius, the bigger the target and the more margin for error on the frequent less-than-perfect throws that come out of the hands of even the most accurate passers. In the World According to Aaron Rodgers, catch radius is at a premium since Job #1 is "don't throw interceptions". Rodgers will throw away from the defender or "throw the receiver open" in common lingo, and expect the guy to go get it.

Contrast catch radius with the receiver's ability to get separation. There are plenty of good receivers who are not very tall and can't jump out of the building...but they just get open. They are quick out of their breaks, they're deceptive (what we used to call "moves"), or they're just plain fast.

There's the factor we might call "savvy"...productive film study, being able to read a defense and the defender, get on the same page as the QB, and run the right option. It doesn't do much good to have a big catch radius and get separation if you're not heading to where the QB expects you to go. We can also throw "broken play ability" into the savvy category...when the 2.5 second clock ticks down and the QB breaks the pocket, is the receiver able to ad lib and keep working to a spot where the QB can get him the ball?

There's the quaint notion of just plain old "good hands", which is independent of the physical catch radius, the ability to get separation, or good route running. You'd like to think that if a receiver gets his hands on the ball he'll catch it. This is where "use" of catch radius is differentiated from the players physical attributes...he's got to catch those balls that are low, high or away. Rodgers throws a lot of balls low and away on short outs and slants...if a guy cant make those catches defenders will play off neutralizing speed.

Let's throw in another factor..."fearlessness". It's one thing to catch deep balls or perimeter throws; it's another to be running under linebackers or safeties and catch balls away from the body knowing you could get clocked.

How about strength to get off press coverage or break a tackle?

How about elusiveness in space that turns short throws into yards-after-catch?

Can the guy block?

A receiver who brings all of these traits to the table is extremely rare. Good receivers typically have some mix of these talents and can have long and productive careers. A big "catch radius" is just one thing, and it's worthless if the guy does not have good hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't put him on par with Abbrederis. If you notice I put Abbrederis's name first. But it's simply a fact that there are second year players who fail to make the cut every year on nearly every team and if there is any UDFA WR that could take the last spot, it would likely be Coxson. That is all. I think if Abbrederis suffers another injury in which he misses a large portion of camp, that's probably it for him if Coxson stays healthy and shows any promise.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One report had Montgomery dropping a deep ball in the rookie OTA; there's a long way to go, but sometimes what you see is what you get.

McCarthy says nice things about his developmental players when asked. And as developmental players, he'll at times cite the things they need to work on. What else would one expect? If he does not comment on a particular player, it might just be the reporters have not asked.

"Catch radius" is nothing new. It's come up quite a bit in these quarters because of McCarthy's use of the term in commenting on Janis. It's important, but it's only one thing in evaluating a receiver.

So, what is it?

Start with height, wing span and vertical jump. Add some intangibles like body control and the ability to adjust to the ball. "NFL open" is usually a tight window...the better the catch radius, the bigger the target and the more margin for error on the frequent less-than-perfect throws that come out of the hands of even the most accurate passers. In the World According to Aaron Rodgers, catch radius is at a premium since Job #1 is "don't throw interceptions". Rodgers will throw away from the defender or "throw the receiver open" in common lingo, and expect the guy to go get it.

Contrast catch radius with the receiver's ability to get separation. There are plenty of good receivers who are not very tall and can't jump out of the building...but they just get open. They are quick out of their breaks, they're deceptive (what we used to call "moves"), or they're just plain fast.

There's the factor we might call "savvy"...productive film study, being able to read a defense and the defender, get on the same page as the QB, and run the right option. It doesn't do much good to have a big catch radius and get separation if you're not heading to where the QB expects you to go. We can also throw "broken play ability" into the savvy category...when the 2.5 second clock ticks down and the QB breaks the pocket, is the receiver able to ad lib and keep working to a spot where the QB can get him the ball?

There's the quaint notion of just plain old "good hands", which is independent of the physical catch radius, the ability to get separation, or good route running. You'd like to think that if a receiver gets his hands on the ball he'll catch it. This is where "use" of catch radius is differentiated from the players physical attributes...he's got to catch those balls that are low, high or away. Rodgers throws a lot of balls low and away on short outs and slants...if a guy cant make those catches defenders will play off neutralizing speed.

Let's throw in another factor..."fearlessness". It's one thing to catch deep balls or perimeter throws; it's another to be running under linebackers or safeties and catch balls away from the body knowing you could get clocked.

How about strength to get off press coverage or break a tackle?

How about elusiveness in space that turns short throws into yards-after-catch?

Can the guy block?

A receiver who brings all of these traits to the table is extremely rare. Good receivers typically have some mix of these talents and can have long and productive careers. A big "catch radius" is just one thing, and it's worthless if the guy does not have good hands.
On one quote last year McCarthy mentioned something about Janis making some circus catches.... Then the knock is he has a small catch radius. I assume that is in relation to what it could be if he used his size to its full advantage... Anyways, making circus catches and small catch radius seem to be contradicting. Im guessing again, McCarthy see's the size and speed. And figures if this guy went UP and TOOK the ball. He would be playable on the greenbay packers. The elite WR corps of the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't put him on par with Abbrederis. If you notice I put Abbrederis's name first. But it's simply a fact that there are second year players who fail to make the cut every year on nearly every team and if there is any UDFA WR that could take the last spot, it would likely be Coxson. That is all. I think if Abbrederis suffers another injury in which he misses a large portion of camp, that's probably it for him if Coxson stays healthy and shows any promise.

We haven't had any practices open to the public (fortunately this changes this week) so it will be interesting to see if Abbrederis is able to participate in OTAs and/or minicamp.

I really don't have a lot of knowledge about the undrafted free agents on the roster but I wouldn't count out Myles White either.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We haven't had any practices open to the public (fortunately this changes this week) so it will be interesting to see if Abbrederis is able to participate in OTAs and/or minicamp.

If he isn't, as long as he's in the weight room pumping iron, he should benefit.

I really don't have a lot of knowledge about the undrafted free agents on the roster but I wouldn't count out Myles White either.

Maybe. But he's going to have to really bring it I think.

H

HardRightEdge

On one quote last year McCarthy mentioned something about Janis making some circus catches.... Then the knock is he has a small catch radius. I assume that is in relation to what it could be if he used his size to its full advantage... Anyways, making circus catches and small catch radius seem to be contradicting. Im guessing again, McCarthy see's the size and speed. And figures if this guy went UP and TOOK the ball. He would be playable on the greenbay packers. The elite WR corps of the NFL.
Making "circus catches" and not using catch radius (which is the same thing as having a small one, as you note), is not necessarily a contradiction.

I usually associate the term "circus catch", if that was the term McCarthy used, with a long ball that may or may not involve leaping or some body adjustment. Those kinds of balls are not arriving with the velocity or in the close quarters where the majority of throws are going. It's not inconsistent to have a guy who can track and haul in a long ball, but when it comes to the bread and butter under-20-yard routes he body catches or alligator arms the ball, which makes for a small catch radius.

There have been Pro Bowlers who didn't like going over the middle and had a shrunken catch radius in tight quarters or just had a habit of dropping those balls. Whether you can get away with that depends on what other factors noted in my last post that he brings to the table and what the system and the QB see as livable trade-offs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think captainWIMM was posing this question to me, and it's a fair one. And actually I need to correct between 5 and 6. Here's my prediction - 1 Nelson 2 - cobb 3 - Adams 4 - Montgomery 5 - Janis 6 - coxson. I just don't see Abby making it.
I didn't put him on par with Abbrederis. If you notice I put Abbrederis's name first. But it's simply a fact that there are second year players who fail to make the cut every year on nearly every team and if there is any UDFA WR that could take the last spot, it would likely be Coxson. That is all. I think if Abbrederis suffers another injury in which he misses a large portion of camp, that's probably it for him if Coxson stays healthy and shows any promiseFactually ooo

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I would not rule out Myles White entirely.

He ran 4.42 at his Pro Day and it shows on the field. His other Pro Day measurements are certainly up to snuff except for his weight...182 lbs at 6'. However, he did 11 lifts at his Pro Day at that weight, about the average for NFL WRs, and which belies his stature. Packers.com lists him as 190 lbs....that should be sufficient to get the job done given his demonstrated level of upper body strength.

There's something about the way he moves around the field that bespeaks a desire for the ball on every play and an enthusiasm for the game, not exactly a universal trait.

He's had a couple years in the system and some money game snaps and targets in 2013. 9 catches on 12 short range targets is something to look at.

Is that enough? Probably not. But that's what preseason games are for...to see if he can leverage his athleticism and system experience into a level of game performance that earns organizational trust.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think captainWIMM was posing this question to me, and it's a fair one. And actually I need to correct between 5 and 6. Here's my prediction - 1 Nelson 2 - cobb 3 - Adams 4 - Montgomery 5 - Janis 6 - coxson. I just don't see Abby making it.

I was actually posing the question to both of you. I'm surprised that some of you put Coxson on par or ahead of Abbrederis. While Stony Brook runs the ball most of the time 43 receptions for 664 yards and six TDs at the FCS level doesn't get me too excited about him.

Members online

Latest posts