James Starks Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the Packers resigning Michaels and Lacy is probably a long shot to be a Packer.

It's thoroughly possible the Packers don't re-sign Lacy and Michael.

For me, Michaels is a no brainer after Starks cut. It's not like he has any leverage. One more pay as play kind of deal with performance benefits should the way ahead. I doubt there are any stellar options in FA and placing bets on a rookie with just Ty in the charts is just suicidal.

Lacy is a bit more complex as he may decide to test FA. His contract needs to be restructured to a prove it 2 year deal for less money now.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy doesn't have a contract to restructure. Best the Packers can get from him now is a comp pick in 2018.
I think people are under estimating lacy.... I will be very disapointed if we let him walk.
Michael has ability but seemed to have some of the same problem as janis, in not grasping the offense as well as most. I doubt he gets resigned.
This year is supposed to have some good rbs.... I am thinking lacy gets a contract around 5/yr. We draft a rookie for depth. And monty is the lightning to lacys thunder...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only person underestimating anything is Lacy, and the commitment it takes to maintain a body physically fit to withstand a season, let alone a career, in the NFL.

I think everyone is well aware of what he can be to this team, and that could be something special. Until he shows commitment to himself, he's not worth much to the team if he can't hold up.

D

Deleted member 6794

For me, Michaels is a no brainer after Starks cut. It's not like he has any leverage. One more pay as play kind of deal with performance benefits should the way ahead. I doubt there are any stellar options in FA and placing bets on a rookie with just Ty in the charts is just suicidal.

It's possible the Packers re-sign Michael without any guaranteed money and let him compete for a roster spot. I expect the depth chart at the position to include a mid-to-late round pick as well as some undrafted free agents along with Crockett at the start of training camp.

This year is supposed to have some good rbs.... I am thinking lacy gets a contract around 5/yr. We draft a rookie for depth. And monty is the lightning to lacys thunder...

It would be absolutely insane for the Packers to offer Lacy a contract averaging close to $5 million a year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be absolutely insane for the Packers to offer Lacy a contract averaging close to $5 million a year.

While I don't think that Lacy will get $5M guaranteed, I don't think that something along the lines of $3M+ with an additional million or two in possible incentives is out of the question at all. Heck, we gave $3M a year to Starks, an older and less talented back, just to be the backup.

Because of his struggles in 2015 with the weight and production and the subsequent injury in 2016, I think we often tend to overlook how good Lacy was for us in his first two seasons. Personally I thought he was looking pretty solid before going out with the injury in 2016 too.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I don't think that Lacy will get $5M guaranteed, I don't think that something along the lines of $3M+ with an additional million or two in possible incentives is out of the question at all. Heck, we gave $3M a year to Starks, an older and less talented back, just to be the backup.

Because of his struggles in 2015 with the weight and production and the subsequent injury in 2016, I think we often tend to overlook how good Lacy was for us in his first two seasons. Personally I thought he was looking pretty solid before going out with the injury in 2016 too.

I don't question that Lacy is an extremely talented running back when in shape. But there's no way the Packers should offer him a lucrative long term contract after he wasn't able to keep his weight in check for two consecutive seasons, one of them being a contract year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't question that Lacy is an extremely talented running back when in shape. But there's no way the Packers should offer him a lucrative long term contract after he wasn't able to keep his weight in check for two consecutive seasons, one of them being a contract year.

No I wouldn't be offering anything long-term unless he's willing to take something backloaded with a low signing bonus/guarantee. Something we can get out of easily if need be, a pay as you go type deal.

My guess is that he's back on a 1 year deal with some incentives as the primary back for 2017, Montgomery is the change of pace guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if we look at a RB in the 4th or 5th round. I don't know if they saw enough in Michael to give him another look or not. If they do, he'll be competing for a roster spot in camp.

D

Deleted member 6794

No I wouldn't be offering anything long-term unless he's willing to take something backloaded with a low signing bonus/guarantee. Something we can get out of easily if need be, a pay as you go type deal.

My guess is that he's back on a 1 year deal with some incentives as the primary back for 2017, Montgomery is the change of pace guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if we look at a RB in the 4th or 5th round. I don't know if they saw enough in Michael to give him another look or not. If they do, he'll be competing for a roster spot in camp.

I'm even reluctant to offer him a one year deal as that would mean the Packers relying on him to be the primary running back next season and possibly not having a backup plan if he doesn't stay in shape once again.

Montgomery doesn't seem to be a change of pace back but rather suited to play a similar style to Lacy.

I agree Thompson should spend a day 3 pick on another player at the position and re-sign Michael to compete for a roster spot.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm even reluctant to offer him a one year deal as that would mean the Packers relying on him to be the primary running back next season and possibly not having a backup plan if he doesn't stay in shape once again.

Montgomery doesn't seem to be a change of pace back but rather suited to play a similar style to Lacy.

I agree Thompson should spend a day 3 pick on another player at the position and re-sign Michael to compete for a roster spot.

I think Montgomery would be the backup plan. Hopefully if they keep Lacy they'd get his best but Monty/draft pick/Michael/Rip would not be the worst situation in the world.

There's going to be a lot of FA options as well, the cut options that Thompson prefers even. I expect AP, Doug Martin, and Jamaal Charles all to be cut by their respective teams. Not specifically advocating for any of the 3, but there will be some big names out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Montgomery would be the backup plan. Hopefully if they keep Lacy they'd get his best but Monty/draft pick/Michael/Rip would not be the worst situation in the world.

There's going to be a lot of FA options as well, the cut options that Thompson prefers even. I expect AP, Doug Martin, and Jamaal Charles all to be cut by their respective teams. Not specifically advocating for any of the 3, but there will be some big names out there.

While I would prefer Thompson to use free agency more often there's no need to address running back that way. It seems this year the draft is deep at the position and rookies are capable of having an immediate impact carrying the ball.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would prefer Thompson to use free agency more often there's no need to address running back that way. It seems this year the draft is deep at the position and rookies are capable of having an immediate impact carrying the ball.

The draft is definitely RB deep, but if the value is right in FA I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a RB. Any acquisition like that is potentially a draft pick you can save to use on D, like acquiring Cook last year. In the twilight of Rodgers' career I'm willing to go year to year on the position rather than looking for a long -term option. Of course, if you can get a guy you feel is normally a 2nd or 3rd round value in the 4th or 5th, I'm all for it.

I'd personally prefer to use extra space on defensive upgrades myself, but I don't see TT being willing to spend enough on a guy who will be a real upgrade. I'd love to land AJ Bouye or Logan Ryan, but I just don't see it.

I expect the extent of Thompson's free agent spending in the secondary to be overpaying to retain Micah Hyde.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What would be the backup plan if we don't resign him? As Adambr2 says Monty would be the backup plan. If we don't resign him then we not only don't have a backup plan but we really don't have a primary plan unless you plan on making Monty the primary back. Something that I could totally see happening by the way. I was skeptical at first that Monty could be the workhorse but after seeing what he can do and an entire offseason learning the position I would not be uncomfortable going into next year with him as our #1. Like you said resign Michael and draft a day 3 guy or even round three if the guy you like is there, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to resigning Lacy at a very team friendly rate. With so many potential FAs hitting the market Lacy has to wonder what his value really is given the last two years. He has youth on his side and that's about it. He may be up for a 1 year prove it deal just to raise his stock. However, I do suspect some other team will offer him more than TT is willing to.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As someone already mentioned. Starks got 3 mil to be a back up. And i think that the 3 mil saved by cutting starks will go directly to the retain lacy fund.

I Thought lacy looked in great shape to start 2016. He seemed to get that half step back that he lost in 2015...

I want to mention again that literally the entire offense looked off that year. At least after the bye they looked bad.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think around that 5 million mark is the upper mark for me. I don't think he's 6 good because we saw the good and bad this year. He was hurt and his poor hands came back in the NFCCG. Not saying he has poor hands, because they can obviously be very good. Just a brief lapse? it was a 1 year contract, hard to tell, but he's had this before.

I think they get something done, HE knows what it's like somewhere else and he's not going to be a 9 million a year TE anywhere. he's not that young or that good. and GB knows how he can help this team and it's worth more than a 2-3 million a year contract. I could see a 3 year contract worth like 12-14 million getting done. But like everything, it depends on guaranteed money and things more than overall numbers.

I don't think Lacy will be re-signed for anything other than pennies at this point by this team. He doesn't care enough about himself to take care of his body to play football. If he's not consistently 230-240 he's too heavy and last I saw him, he looked 260 and that was after training camp. How a person can gain that much weight when they should be working that hard and say they're committed to football is beyond me.
I think Cook's deal could look something like 3yrs for around 17m total, about 5-6 guaranteed with roster and workout bonuses in all 3 years part of the package. His bonus money will probably be about 25-33% of the total package which is what most get in Green Bay.

I figure that both Lacy and Raji are lounging about eating cheeseburgers by the dozen and not engaged in any real off-season workout program. I don't have a read on Michaels. I think the guy is a loose cannon personally but I wouldn't be shocked to see him in summer camp on a one year minimum salary deal. I think we'll probably draft a RB somewhere around round 4-5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

What would be the backup plan if we don't resign him? As Adambr2 says Monty would be the backup plan.

I would be fine with entering next season with Montgomery, a draft pick and either Michael, Crockett or another undrafted free agent on the depth chart.

I Thought lacy looked in great shape to start 2016. He seemed to get that half step back that he lost in 2015...

Lacy definitely ran the ball pretty well at the start of the 2016 season but with him not being able to keep his body in shape the Packers can't trust him to be able to stay on the field for an entire drive or healthy for the year.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see Lacy being anything other than a 3rd string rb at this point. He can't be counted on the be fit enough to last more than a few games. Monty is no scat back. He's over 220 and has decent power. TT should concentrate on getting a quick rb around 200 to 210 that can energize screens and also be a punt returner. The Packers haven't had that type of player since they were forced to give Dujaun Harris some carries. I'm not for going to an even smaller rb since little guys are usually a liability on blitz pickups. At this point the evidence looks like Lacy is eating his way out of the league. I wouldn't give him any guaranteediameter money.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't see Lacy being anything other than a 3rd string rb at this point.

Lacy is too talented to be a third string running back. He averaged 5.1 yards oer carry last season before being placed on injured reserve.

The problem being teams can't count on him getting a lot of carries in a game because of his poor conditioning and most likely he won't play in a lot of games as his weight will lead to further injuries.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy is too talented to be a third string running back. He averaged 5.1 yards oer carry last season before being placed on injured reserve.

The problem being teams can't count on him getting a lot of carries in a game because of his poor conditioning and most likely he won't play in a lot of games as his weight will lead to further injuries.
That's exactly why you can't even depend on Lacy to be a second string back. He's very likely to be on IR and then your third string back is moved up. If Lacy is your second string and he lands on IR your depth is shot. Your second string player has to have some durability. While way more talented than a 3rd string back, it's Lacy's durability at this point that counts the most.

Sky King

Reaction score

The elephant in the room is whether or not Lacy is an alcoholic. If he is an alcoholic then it would help to explain his laissez-faire attitude toward conditioning in a contract year.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's exactly why you can't even depend on Lacy to be a second string back. He's very likely to be on IR and then your third string back is moved up. If Lacy is your second string and he lands on IR your depth is shot. Your second string player has to have some durability. While way more talented than a 3rd string back, it's Lacy's durability at this point that counts the most.

True, and that's the reason I don't even want him back on a short-term, prove it deal.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The elephant in the room is whether or not Lacy is an alcoholic. If he is an alcoholic then it would help to explain his laissez-faire attitude toward conditioning in a contract year.

Sorry, too good to pass up.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...0/dougherty-lacy-still-worth-weight/97745806/

According to this Lacy's market is about 1 year/2M with incentives.

If that's the market I think it's a no-brainer to bring him back one more year.

We just need to have a good contingency plan in place at RB, but for 2M it's a minimal risk for the potential reward.

I do think the concern over his availability is a bit overblown. He was generally healthy all the way through late in his 3rd year when he started having the ankle trouble. If he's healthy enough for OTAs, I'm not concerned.

I haven't heard anything other than speculation on him being an alcoholic and frankly I think it's a little unfair of us (not you Sky King, just us fans in general), to assume something like that unless it can really be substantiated by a reliable source. But if he is I would assume the team knows about it and should strongly encourage him to check into rehab in the offseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do think the concern over his availability is a bit overblown. He was generally healthy all the way through late in his 3rd year when he started having the ankle trouble. If he's healthy enough for OTAs, I'm not concerned.

Lacy had an ankle injury during his rookie season as well. I'm convinced him playing over 250 pounds has already and going forward will continue to put additional stress on his legs and result in more injuries forcing him to miss games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts