James Starks Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more surprised by this move than the move earlier today. We're body thin here not just talent thin at RB. At least at CB we have bodies that we HOPE can become players.

would guess they have tentative plans to keep Lacy around one more year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm more surprised by this move than the move earlier today. We're body thin here not just talent thin at RB. At least at CB we have bodies that we HOPE can become players.

Given what Starks would have been due on his contract and his lack of production in 2016, no surprise at all. They can find 50 guys who would do the job better for less money than the $3 M they save by cutting him.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They seem high on Crockett for some reason even though he spent two seasons on IR. With him and Lacy on a prove it deal for a season we'd have the running back duo of Crockett & Tubby.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crockett and Tubbs were the real deal for quite a while. I watched just for the intro every week as a young boy. So risque

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crockett and Tubbs were the real deal for quite a while. I watched just for the intro every week as a young boy. So risque

Heh, the girl with the bouncing boobs at the end of the intro. That made my day!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, the girl with the bouncing boobs at the end of the intro. That made my day!
No close ups of underdressed women in the original season opening :
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Must have been the second season intro:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Are we officially into the off season? :)

and off the thread....Fire the Mods! :coffee:

this sudden shift to Miami Vice and bouncing things reminded me of a good joke.

If you are a woman and after the first date, a guy remembers the color of your eyes , chances are you are small breasted.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Being body thin at a position is not too much of a concern on February 9th.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No close ups of underdressed women in the original season opening :
Must have been the second season intro:
Season 1 intro sucked. Glad they got their stuff together for 2 :).

Mike peterson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are going to re-sign Lacy for one year deal. Then it will be the Monty/ Lacy timeshare show! Go pack go!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Being body thin at a position is not too much of a concern on February 9th.

While body thin isn't "that big" of a concern right now, talent thin IS a big concern when you have a GM that will probably only look to the draft and his current roster, to try and rectify those thin positions.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Sucks to see him go but he wasnt the same Starks from the 2010 SB run.

D

Deleted member 6794

While body thin isn't "that big" of a concern right now, talent thin IS a big concern when you have a GM that will probably only look to the draft and his current roster, to try and rectify those thin positions.

While that's true holding to Starks wouldn't have improved the talent level at running back at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While that's true holding to Starks wouldn't have improved the talent level at running back at all.
I wasn't implying that the Packers should have held on to Starks. I totally support the release due to what appears to be a decline in his game as well as a big cap savings in doing so. What I was pointing out was that releasing him didn't change the talent level of the current team, bodies are easy to come by and someone said we are now body thin at the position.

For the Packers to be talent thin at RB, CB and probably OLB, is a bit nerve racking when you have a GM that historically relies mainly on the draft and UDFA's to build his roster.

The TE position is another position that I am holding my breath. If Cook is not resigned, talent thin doesn't even begin to describe where we would be at TE.

Last edited:

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks physical runner did good for the Pack but it was the right move by the packers to let him go. I hope he signs with another team I think he still can play. Thanks Starks!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't implying that the Packers should have held on to Starks. I totally support the release due to what appears to be a decline in his game as well as a big cap savings in doing so. What I was pointing out was that releasing him didn't change the talent level of the current team, bodies are easy to come by and someone said we are now body thin at the position.

For the Packers to be talent thin at RB, CB and probably OLB, is a bit nerve racking when you have a GM that historically relies mainly on the draft and UDFA's to build his roster.

The TE position is another position that I am holding my breath. If Cook is not resigned, talent thin doesn't even begin to describe where we would be at TE.

I am at least 75% confident that Cook will be back. There seems to be a mutual desire on both sides to get something done. His value is tough to peg -- he's clearly worth more than the $2.75M we paid him but he was hurt much of the year and overall didn't have a greatly impressive stat line for the season.

My guess would be 2-3 years at 5-6M per year, but that's a total guess.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am at least 75% confident that Cook will be back. There seems to be a mutual desire on both sides to get something done. His value is tough to peg -- he's clearly worth more than the $2.75M we paid him but he was hurt much of the year and overall didn't have a greatly impressive stat line for the season.

My guess would be 2-3 years at 5-6M per year, but that's a total guess.

For what its worth, Spotrac has Cooks value as this:

Market Value
  • 4 yrs, $13,502,847
  • Avg. Salary: $3,375,712
  • NFL Rank: #376
  • TE Rank: #23
I see it going more towards what you are guessing. While Cook and his agent will know his value is probably at a premium to a TE poor team like the Packers, I don't think they push their luck too much and have Cook end up on another team like his past 2 for a little more money.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Market Value
  • 4 yrs, $13,502,847
I see it going more towards what you are guessing. While Cook and his agent will know his value is probably at a premium to a TE poor team like the Packers, I don't think they push their luck too much and have Cook end up on another team like his past 2 for a little more money.

I think he comes in at more like $5-5.5M a year average.

D

Deleted member 6794

Market Value
  • 4 yrs, $13,502,847

If Spotrac is right about that Cook should have been signed on Monday after the NFCCG loss at Atlanta.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I was pointing out was that releasing him didn't change the talent level of the current team, bodies are easy to come by and someone said we are now body thin at the position.

Ty Monty
Christine Michael (think we'll resign him)
Eddie Lacy (think we'll resign him)
A-Rip

plus maybe another late addition in draft.

Should be OK.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ty Monty
A-Rip

Should be OK.

Monty and Rip are the only 2 in your list under contract. But add Crockett.

I don't see the Packers resigning Michaels and Lacy is probably a long shot to be a Packer.

Packers are body and talent thin currently at RB. I don't doubt they will fix that with FA's or the draft. It's one of the positions that is the least of their concerns right now, IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ty Monty
A-Rip

Should be OK.

It's thoroughly possible the Packers don't re-sign Lacy and Michael. In this case the team for sure has to address the position this offseason.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think around that 5 million mark is the upper mark for me. I don't think he's 6 good because we saw the good and bad this year. He was hurt and his poor hands came back in the NFCCG. Not saying he has poor hands, because they can obviously be very good. Just a brief lapse? it was a 1 year contract, hard to tell, but he's had this before.

I think they get something done, HE knows what it's like somewhere else and he's not going to be a 9 million a year TE anywhere. he's not that young or that good. and GB knows how he can help this team and it's worth more than a 2-3 million a year contract. I could see a 3 year contract worth like 12-14 million getting done. But like everything, it depends on guaranteed money and things more than overall numbers.

I don't think Lacy will be re-signed for anything other than pennies at this point by this team. He doesn't care enough about himself to take care of his body to play football. If he's not consistently 230-240 he's too heavy and last I saw him, he looked 260 and that was after training camp. How a person can gain that much weight when they should be working that hard and say they're committed to football is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts