It is very difficult to make the NFL playoffs 7 consecutive seasons

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way to survive in this league is by constantly and continuously improving. After every goal we reach and target we achieve we need to keep raising the bar higher.

I certainly don't get this 'entitled' and 'spoilt' tags. Don't really get why we should be happy we made previous 7 play off's when we currently lost the division title. No athlete worth his salt would be happy after losing irrespective of previous records.

It is quite true that we can't always be on top, but I certainly do not see the need to 'rationalize' a loss with an historical excuse. And I don't get the "we made the playoff's" stats at all. If you consider the post-Lombardi era Super Bowl stats, I'd doubt we'd rank within the Top 5 in NFL (appearances/wins)
It's not about being happy we're having a down year. It's not about having to add in 30 years of garbage to even us out with the rest of the league. It's an arguments against everyone that says our coach and our GM suck or have somehow lead this team astray. It shows that THIS front office and coaching staff have continually put together good teams against the others at the same time in NFL history, with the same league rules and the same talent levels.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not about being happy we're having a down year. It's not about having to add in 30 years of garbage to even us out with the rest of the league. It's an arguments against everyone that says our coach and our GM suck or have somehow lead this team astray. It shows that THIS front office and coaching staff have continually put together good teams against the others at the same time in NFL history, with the same league rules and the same talent levels.

Do you believe this?

One of the biggest disappointment of any sports franchise is the Bengals... 0-5 in the playoffs currently. No one looks at them as 3 greatest team of this age just because they made the playoffs 3rd most. No one cares. It's an irrelvant stat that no one cares about. Coaches of playoff teams get fired. Schottenheimer went 14-2 and lost his job lol

Just as no one looks at the Packers that way besides people in these forums. The Packers are one of the most underwhelming and underachieving teams of this year. Period. Ask anyone not a fan of the Packers.

Patriots, Giants, Seahawks... All easily have better claims to this in the past 10 years to being better franchises.

Argue it anyway you want, I'd rather have up and down 2 super bowls that the Giants do. Then steadily being decent but not good enough. I don't understand the logic of well we made the playoffs a lot. That's not an accomplishment. At the end of the year you are just another loser that no one remembers.

This is why the Colts, no matter how good they were in the regular season for over a decade will never be remembered in the same way as the Patriots.

You obviously can't win it every year, but I am starting to think... That we should be doing better than we are.

NOTE: I am still holding out hope they get things together this week... But it's getting harder and harder to see the bright side of things.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What always baffles me is fans who believe the Packers should be "great all the time" but then insist they aren't spoiled. Of course I wanted more titles since Wolf arrived - remember his "fart in the wind" comment? So it's fair to say he expected at least one more under his tenure. And IMO for the all the criticisms of Thompson (some of which I agree with), he provided the talent to get to, and win the Super Bowl last season. But just having a top 5 QB isn't enough. And BTW, our top 5 QB isn't playing like one this season.

There's a difference between a fan seeing a team that has the single most important piece in the NFL, the elite QB, and being disappointed that a team with Alex Smith at QB is better and a fan being "spoiled".

The Packers SHOULD be great for the past 20+ years because the Packers have had AMAZING quarterbacks over that timespan, quarterbacks that have missed very little time. Any team in the NFL with a great QB should be a great team. That's not being a "spoiled" fan-base, that's recognizing how the NFL works.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO you are a spoiled and entitled fan, as indicated by your ******* overreaction ;). If you don't think so, compare the Packers to a team other than the Patriots. To me it would be like a fan of a team during the 60s whining that his team isn't as good as the Packers. IMO Vince Lombardi was the greatest HC in NFL history, but Bill Belichick is not far behind. So compare the Packers organization since Bob Harlan took over to today to any of the other 30 teams in the league. And if you think just having a great QB is enough, check the history of the NFL: Great QBs like Marino can spend 17 years in the league without winning a title and crappy QBs like _______ (fill in the blank) have Super Bowl rings.

Just out of curiosity, what team besides the Patriots has had an elite QB for the amount of time the Packers have? Why are people comparing the Favre and Rodgers lead Packers to the Bears who have had 97 quarterbacks in the last seven years?

And Marino's career was wasted. I don't think you'll find anyone that feels like the management for the Dolphins over his tenure was anything but an utter disaster (not talking coaching, Shula was obviously very good).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers SHOULD be great for the past 20+ years because the Packers have had AMAZING quarterbacks over that timespan, quarterbacks that have missed very little time. Any team in the NFL with a great QB should be a great team. That's not being a "spoiled" fan-base, that's recognizing how the NFL works.
You and a few others post as if the QB is the end-all be-all of the NFL. While important the rest of the team matters a lot. Have you forgotten the thousands of posts complaining about Capers and the talent on defense? You and a few others will no doubt post 'of course that's true', but you don't post as if you believe it. So maybe you're not spoiled, just misguided.

Regarding Thompson his philosophy is obviously to attempt to keep the team in contention year after year as opposed to "going for broke" in a season's gamble that may result in a series of "feast or famine" seasons. That frustrates many fans but he has kept the team in contention and IMO last season he did his job: He put a team on the field that had the talent to win a title.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You and a few others post as if the QB is the end-all be-all of the NFL. While important the rest of the team matters a lot. Have you forgotten the thousands of posts complaining about Capers and the talent on defense? You and a few others will no doubt post 'of course that's true', but you don't post as if you believe it. So maybe you're not spoiled, just misguided.

Or maybe you are misguided?

That team was not good enough to win a championship, in fact, they weren't even good enough to beat the team that lost in the championship. Even with 2 attempts. They beat the Patriots in Lambeau if i remember right? But you can't argue that a team is hypothetically good enough... When they didn't make it. They obviously weren't good enough. Whether that is coaching, or scheme or players. Doesn't matter. They didn't and thus were not good enough. Maybe if they had more talent on special team they wouldn't have dropped that on-side kick, maybe a better corner doesn't get burned in OT...So many what ifs but the fact remains that they got beat.

The point people are trying to make is it is much easier to make it to a super bowl with Aaron Rodgers than Johnny Manziel. Arguing that is futile. Can you make it with a decent quarterback? Sure. But there will come a time where he has to rise up. Even Eli came into Lambeau and out dueled Aaron that day... I was there and it was sad. The Giants deserved that game. They were more talented overall and prepared.

No one is saying you can go out on the field with 1 person... But you cannot argue that your odds are incredibly better with Aaron behind center. And that once we lose him making it to the big game will be MUCH more difficult.

Regarding Thompson his philosophy is obviously to attempt to keep the team in contention year after year as opposed to "going for broke" in a season's gamble that may result in a series of "feast or famine" seasons. That frustrates many fans but he has kept the team in contention and IMO last season he did his job: He put a team on the field that had the talent to win a title.

We haven't been contenders... 1 super bowl appearance in 8 years with Aaron isn't consistent contenders. At the end of the days other than 2010 we would have been just as well off going 0-16 and getting top draft picks. Because you are still just another loser.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
...For the past 7 years, 2009-15, only 2 teams have made the playoffs each season – the Green Bay Packers and the New England Patriots. When you consider how difficult it is to make the playoffs 7 straight years in the NFL, it is a major accomplishment.

Awesome! I cannot wait for the "Made it to the post season 7 years straight" trophy to be added to the collection of other GB Packer trophies! :)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Brady won his first ring in 2001, the only QB not considered at least 'upper tier' to win a SB since then was Brad Johnson with Tampa Bay in '02.
Brady(4) Rothlesberger(2) Eli Manning (2) Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Brees , Flacco and Wilson won.
Five times the losing QB in those games came from the above list, and you can throw in Kurt Warner.
And I disagree with making the playoffs being an overly difficult thing to do or a great accomplishment. Over 37% of the league goes to the playoffs every season, too often some with only 7 or 8 wins.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB never made it with 7 or 8 wins in recent history, and well over 37% of the league does not make it 7 years in a row. Flash in a pan is easy, when there is exactly 1 other team in the league that has the same level of sustained success in the past decade, I think it's more than obvious what they've accomplished is a heck of a lot more difficult than the other 30 teams have done.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did I say Green Bay made it with 7 or 8 wins.
Success is measured in titles won , not 'participation trophies'.
Success is not measured by comparing yourself to the **** teams of the league.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB never made it with 7 or 8 wins in recent history, and well over 37% of the league does not make it 7 years in a row. Flash in a pan is easy, when there is exactly 1 other team in the league that has the same level of sustained success in the past decade, I think it's more than obvious what they've accomplished is a heck of a lot more difficult than the other 30 teams have done.

2013? 8-7-1

Don't think anyone said it was easy. Some of us, looking at potential/expectation, feel just making the playoffs isn't enough.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are you high?

Super Bowls since 2000... you know that thing they play for...

Pitt has been to 3 and won 2

Giants have been to 3 and won 2

Patriots have been to 6 and won 4

St. Louis has been to 2 and won 1

Seattle has been to 3 and won 1

Baltimore has been to 2 and won 2

Indy has been to 2 and won 1

Since 2000.... we have had some of the best quarterback play in league. Yet, according to this there are 7 teams easily more successful than us. That isn't even a question. And how many more are tied. I didn't even look.

Stating we are better than any of those teams is silly... Go to their forums and post something about how many playoff appearances we have. And "How competitive we are". They will laugh their ***** off.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did I say Green Bay made it with 7 or 8 wins.
Success is measured in titles won , not 'participation trophies'.
Success is not measured by comparing yourself to the **** teams of the league.
get down with your bad self and the participation trophies. LOL

1 team has done what we've done, 2 teams have won more titles during this regimes time in GB, No matter how you slice it, hardly any have done it any better.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2013? 8-7-1

Don't think anyone said it was easy. Some of us, looking at potential/expectation, feel just making the playoffs isn't enough.

Read- actually read - the posts. I said too often teams with 7 or 8 wins.
get down with your bad self and the participation trophies. LOL

No, that would be you and too many other fans' Mondio. I like championships.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure thing buckshot

Brilliant.
Try again when you have a point/counterpoint/credible argument instead of half assed insults.
Although on second thought, I'll give you credit for 'buckshot'. I'm sure I've never been called that before, LOL.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read- actually read - the posts. I said too often teams with 7 or 8 wins.

I was responding to:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get your response, Half Empty. When I noticed I was responding to you and not Mondio, I tried to delete the post. Evidently, I failed.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Knew the "mediocrity" crowd would come out in this thread along with the "if you don't win the SB you might as well be 0-16".

Way to try and hold off guys. I know it must've been rough for you

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Knew the "mediocrity" crowd would come out in this thread along with the "if you don't win the SB you might as well be 0-16".

Way to try and hold off guys. I know it must've been rough for you

This is referring to my post... So I feel ok saying...

If you are drawing your conclusion off of one line of my post, than you are ill informed to the point that I am trying to make about playoff appearances and success.

So please I dare you to go to the Giants/Steelers/Patriots/Raven/Seahawks forum and tell them how much more consistent we have been with our playoff appearance over the last 10 years (other than the patriots). How we have built our roster from within... How awesome our drafting is, and how well we develop young talent. And just tell me what they say... I'd be curious.

Fact is that is THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS. You obviously can't win every year but there is quite a few teams doing it as well as the Packers in the last decade, and quite a few more doing it better. So please don't act like some homer who believes that "being competitive" matters to anyone outside of Green Bay fans. It is an excuse people use when you are disappointed with an outcome.

You hear it all the time even in single game scenarios.. "Ohh they lost but they were competitive". "Well Frank you didn't get the job, but you did your best". It's the same thing... People everywhere do this, it's a coping mechanism to deal with failure.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
General speaking---

any team that makes it to the playoffs is a contender..While some may have better shot at making it to the SB, all are contending..

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking very generally, if you play a game... You are contending.

0-16 Lions were contenders... Just not very good ones.

So while I do agree with your premise, It is just a matter of where your standards are. And I suppose it is a very subjective thing.

To me contending for a championship. Mean you at least made it to the championship game. All others have already been deem unworthy.

While others may see playoffs as a win, (nothing wrong with that). I see us as the 8th ish most successful team since 2000. Certainly not in the top 5.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts