It is a horse race.... And the Packers are not that bad off

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are off to a 2 and 4 start.

A Two win and four loss start looks bad on paper. A Two win and four loss start looks bad “In” the morning paper. A 2-4 start looks even worse in my head when I think about it at night while falling asleep.

2 and 4 looks bad

However, things are not that bad when one takes a look at the whole picture. The whole picture, of course being, the number of teams who have the same or worse challenges.

I may be wrong and often am, but I can not remember a time that so many teams were off to such a bad start. What this of course means is that we are not the only ones with a challenge at this time. This is a horse race, and there are a many horses behind Green Bay at the turn.

Let’s look at who is in the same boat, or fallen out of the boat by now.

First of all though let’s look at who is worse off.

Miami- 1 and 6….. Detroit- 1 and 6….. Arizona- 1 and 6

Then of course there is the Browns at 1 and 5….. Titans 1 and 5…… Raiders 1 and 5….

There is the Redskins at 2-5….. The Bills- 2-5

The horses are five wide at the turn with The 49ers at 2 and 4, Tampa Bay at 2 and 4, Houston at 2 and 4, The Super Bowl Champions at 2 and 4., and of course the Packers at 2 and 4.

That is 13 horses behind us or even with us in the race.

I like the Packers Draft last year…. I do not think this is going to be the race we win, but when you look at how many horses are in the race, things are not as bad as they may seem.

I do not see an 80’s like slump around the next turn.

R.P.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: It is a horse race.... And the Packers are not that bad

Frankly it looks to me like TT hit on about at least 7 of his draft picks this year. If he can keep drafting the way he has I think we'll be in good shape for years to come.

Even though people hate the fact we paid Woodson so heavily I'm for one glad to have him on the team. He has big play ability and who the heck would we rather have back there that was aviable? Carroll?

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Money is always an issue for a player when it comes to the cap.

However, you can pay for a player that will pay you beyond the field performance. You can pay for a player that can make your investments much more valuable Woodson is that type of player. He will teach, is willing to teach and set examples for the Packer youth investment.

In Fact...... I would not dout it if Woodson's insight with M.M. had something to do with the fact the Packers cut ties with Carrol.

R.P.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hopefully pack can finish a season not bad, but still get some decent picks and get some good strong, and capable players (capability is a strong factor)

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Money is always an issue for a player when it comes to the cap.

However, you can pay for a player that will pay you beyond the field performance. You can pay for a player that can make your investments much more valuable Woodson is that type of player. He will teach, is willing to teach and set examples for the Packer youth investment.

In Fact...... I would not dout it if Woodson's insight with M.M. had something to do with the fact the Packers cut ties with Carrol.

R.P.

If that's true then he deserves the money just for giving MM good advice. Carroll is/was awful.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
(capability is a strong factor)

"Capability is a strong factor."
If is ok with you cyoung, I am going to use that quote.

use away RP

And Cory Carrol was pretty bad but he was tough and aggressive and could hit pretty well, but he was too aggressive and was penalty likely.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: It is a horse race.... And the Packers are not that bad

From fear of causing distruption I try not to post here, however, after I came here an read this I had to say ... good job! I liked the read very much. I mention the first part to provide depth of how good I felt this was.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel as bad about the 2-4 record as I thought I would.. and knowing a lot can happen in the time left in the season. Look at who we lost to: the BEars, Rams, Saints, Eagles. All have been borne out to be very solid (except the eagles are struggling a little) and the difference is the packers are starting to get over their inexperience problems and miscues.

I don't really like sharing company with the teams you mentioned above (except maybe the Steelers, only because they are defending champs) but I do think the point is well taken and a lot of people might be surprised or stung by the Packers after having written them off.

Realistically, I think we'll find out a lot during the game tomorrow. Can the Pack string two wins together? It is necessary to get some real momentum going.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are still a team in dire straights. We don't have a stud player on the defensive line. Our offensive line, although improving, is a work in progress. We have basically one outstanding receiver and one that looks to have some promise. Our running backs are average to below average at best. We have a future Hall of Famer at Quarterback, but beyond him, our quarterbacks are a mystery at best. We have to aging defensive backs with no one yet in line to take their place. The linebackers look to be the strength of the team. Our special teams don't make big plays. Now if I sound like the grim reaper, I'm not. I think Thompson has drafted a few servicable players. What he hasn't drafted yet is a bondfide stude. Maybe Hawk and Hodge will be those players, but until he drafts a difference maker I will continue to believe that this team is still below average. Coaching makes a difference however, so we have to hope that McCarthy and his staff can coach average players to play as good players.

Staff online

Latest posts