Is Ted done?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect anything other than what Ted "Dumpster Dive" Thompson has done. The mumbling idiot is on record numerous times saying that the first Priority is to "keep our own free agents." Even if it means missing out on BETTER players in the process. He's more concerned with trying to "keep everyone together" rather than spending money on outside help .

That's why see him take 2 -3 yrs to fill holes on the team..he's waiting on his guys to become players. He will draft 7-8 players and then see how many undrafted free agents he can stash on the practice squad all while thinking he's got a championship roster when you have one guy carrying the entire franchise for yrs. You can't make this stuff up lol ...if I were Rodgers I'd make that **** pay me 30 million a year!! he'd be justified in doing so to!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect anything other than what Ted "Dumpster Dive" Thompson has done. The mumbling idiot is on record numerous times saying that the first Priority is to "keep our own free agents." Even if it means missing out on BETTER players in the process. He's more concerned with trying to "keep everyone together" rather than spending money on outside help .

That's why see him take 2 -3 yrs to fill holes on the team..he's waiting on his guys to become players. He will draft 7-8 players and then see how many undrafted free agents he can stash on the practice squad all while thinking he's got a championship roster when you have one guy carrying the entire franchise for yrs. You can't make this stuff up lol ...if I were Rodgers I'd make that **** pay me 30 million a year!! he'd be justified in doing so to!!
This guy doesn't even realize it's that same philosophy and believing in your guys that brought #12 to GB in the first place, and then gave him time to develop and then gave him the keys to the offense. I guess to Rodell's credit, he's not alone, though I always wonder how being so incredibly short sighted people get thru life beyond dumb luck.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder what Seattle would want for Sherman

I have no idea what would get that done

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy doesn't even realize it's that same philosophy and believing in your guys that brought #12 to GB in the first place, and then gave him time to develop and then gave him the keys to the offense. I guess to Rodell's credit, he's not alone, though I always wonder how being so incredibly short sighted people get thru life beyond dumb luck.

He didn't say the philosophy never worked. But Rodgers was 12 years ago dude. And with recent developments, TT finding Rodgers is more of a blind squirrel finding a nut instead of him being a genius.

The process flat out has not been good enough of late, for the defensive side of the ball. That's all anyone is saying.

TT finding Rodgers was awesome, but that isn't enough and shouldn't give this guy a pass here in 2017.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't say the philosophy never worked. But Rodgers was 12 years ago dude. And with recent developments, TT finding Rodgers is more of a blind squirrel finding a nut instead of him being a genius.

The process flat out has not been good enough of late, for the defensive side of the ball. That's all anyone is saying.

TT finding Rodgers was awesome, but that isn't enough and shouldn't give this guy a pass here in 2017.
oh, 2017 is done and I missed it? what was our record?

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder what Seattle would want for Sherman

I have no idea what would get that done

I would give up Cobb, give Allison the chance to take his place. And sign him to a two year deal say, 18 million, give him 9 a year, or bump to 7 million.

I give him a shot, let Gunter walk as well.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lol good thing Ted still has supporters who live in the past. Lol he drafts a qb who was projected to go #1 by many "experts" that just so happened to literally fall to him...not to mention the aging Qb already on the roster who had flirted with Retiring the previous 2 seasons...so you decide to let the younger qb take over the reigns who you drafted in the first round in the last year of his contract. Man get out of here!! He made a business decision because he had to. It just happened to work out!! He did his job. People still giving him a pass for his failures as a GM because he drafted Rodgers years later. Get out of the past!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not giving him a pass nor living in the past. Merely pointing out his philosphy is how he runs a team. It has been pretty good. It brought us our best player. you seem to think it doesn't work or can't work. I find it funny, shortsighted, but funny and irritating at the same time.

How many years did Favre play yet in the NFL? how many more playoff games? how many championship games? You get out of here. You think he was done, LOL ? He had 6 more seasons in the NFL, and 2 more NFCCG's. It was so obvious he was done LOL. Rodgers was passed over by pretty much anyone needing a QB in a league driven by quarterback play and you think he was a slam dunk, LOL. and by chance did you watch Rodgers his first 2 seasons? you just "knew" he'd be great right? LOL

Facts are, Ted believed in his picks, Ted gave him time to develop and they've both benefited by that foresight. I know you hate Ted too much to see it, but it's right there if you want to look.

I suspect he has picked guys that will continue to develop like the past 12 years, and I'm sure he'll pick a few more this year.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not giving him a pass nor living in the past. Merely pointing out his philosphy is how he runs a team. It has been pretty good. It brought us our best player. you seem to think it doesn't work or can't work. I find it funny, shortsighted, but funny and irritating at the same time.

How many years did Favre play yet in the NFL? how many more playoff games? how many championship games? You get out of here. You think he was done, LOL ? He had 6 more seasons in the NFL, and 2 more NFCCG's. It was so obvious he was done LOL. Rodgers was passed over by pretty much anyone needing a QB in a league driven by quarterback play and you think he was a slam dunk, LOL. and by chance did you watch Rodgers his first 2 seasons? you just "knew" he'd be great right? LOL

Facts are, Ted believed in his picks, Ted gave him time to develop and they've both benefited by that foresight. I know you hate Ted too much to see it, but it's right there if you want to look.

I suspect he has picked guys that will continue to develop like the past 12 years, and I'm sure he'll pick a few more this year.

And I'm sure we'll get blown out in the playoffs again. But hey, those undrafted free agents and gang will continue to develop. Who needs SB's when you got that going for your franchise eh?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hate to say Mondio but your argument while noted has serious swiss cheese lately. no one on this d is developing other than haha and daniels. 2 spots on the field. tt has ignored the unignorable. that is recent...that is relevant. the d stinks and the drafts have not mattered all that much. d scouts, coordinator, and coaches should all be gone that have been part of this. it is stale and underdeveloped. clay is not clay anymore, he is trade bait. time to move on to new beginnings and try something differerent. if it means bringing in a couple cbs and olbs and des then do it, see what happens.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And... I think we can declare that Ted is done. Barwin signed with the Rams. No one really left out there that can significantly help this defense. Here come a bunch of rookies and all shall be fine...

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, 2017 is done and I missed it? what was our record?

stop being petty. I didn't even slightly imply that 2017 was down the drain.

My point was clear. A draft and develop success from about about a decade ago shouldn't be his endorsement for how things are going today.

He has to have more solid plans on defense instead of purely optimistic ones.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask Ted what he wants to accomplish in Green Bay and his answer would probably be...to build a roster that can be competitive and win for a long time...instead of to win SB's. Those are not the same thing...the Packers have won games..and are competitive most the time. But that doesn't equal SB's. If his first response was to win SB's then he wouldn't think the way that he does. He would be more like BB .who believes if you win SB's the rest will take care of itself. Players will come play for you...and take less. I'm starting to get the feeling really players don't want to play TT and the Packers That are not "their guys" simply because he's not all in.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The only thing it looks like he is "All In" on is seeing how far under the cap he can get the roster. He lost more then he brought in. I was okay with him letting all those guys go as long as there was a plan to replace them or upgrade the defense.

Looks like the draft will be the method used to replace. One more bad draft by this "bean counter" will be the dagger.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stop being petty. I didn't even slightly imply that 2017 was down the drain.

My point was clear. A draft and develop success from about about a decade ago shouldn't be his endorsement for how things are going today.

He has to have more solid plans on defense instead of purely optimistic ones.
i doubt his plans are based on his optimism, but rather a belief in the work he and his staff have done. There's a difference. and the rosters are not set. I wasn't being petty, I was pointing out that it is freaking MARCH and the rosters are not set, no games are even on the schedule for months. Every year it's spend money to spend money. Nobody has a clue how these guys would be, i seriously doubt any of you spent any amount of time watching the ****ing Bills last year or the year before or the year before.

It's entirely possible that the only reason those top 2 rated DB's looked so good was because they had a much better group putting pressure on the QB up front and weren't playing around 3 different players every game in the defensive backfield. BB isn't always right. I still remember a swap of receivers of sorts in a draft a while back that everyone thought Bill won that one too.

and Ted has certainly had other good players developed besides 1 a decade ago, talk about being petty.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think with cap rollover and rookie salaries accounted for, we're probably down to about 6-8 million to spend tops. That's not enough for both of the players you've mentioned.

The Packers don't have to roll over a certain amount of money into the 2018 season, especially as not a lot of starters are headed toward free agency next year.

This is really no different than how he handled the TE position after Finley was hurt and the ILB position, over confidence in his own players.

Unfortunately it took several years to adequately address those positions. The Packers can't afford for that to happen at cornerback as well.

I would give up Cobb, give Allison the chance to take his place. And sign him to a two year deal say, 18 million, give him 9 a year, or bump to 7 million.

Sherman is still under contract for two more seasons. A team trading for him would take cap hits of $11.4 million next season and $11 million in 2018.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask Ted what he wants to accomplish in Green Bay and his answer would probably be...to build a roster that can be competitive and win for a long time...instead of to win SB's. Those are not the same thing...the Packers have won games..and are competitive most the time. But that doesn't equal SB's. If his first response was to win SB's then he wouldn't think the way that he does. He would be more like BB .who believes if you win SB's the rest will take care of itself. Players will come play for you...and take less. I'm starting to get the feeling really players don't want to play TT and the Packers That are not "their guys" simply because he's not all in.

I used to agree with the sentiment. When Rodgers was 29 30 31, I was on board with not going crazy in FA and risking the future. It was the smart thing to do. But times have changed. They don't have unlimited time anymore.

Just really believe, and I guess now it's believed, that this was the year where things really needed to change. I keep saying the same thing, our defense is more close to being a rebuilding defense than it is being a super bowl level one. We are rock solid in two spots really, Daniels and HHCD. Then we are banking on Perry not being a one year wonder and Matthews coming back to form. Would have to say both of these things happening is unlikely, not impossible, but like I said, it's an optimistic plan compared to a solid one. Then outside of that, we are paper thin talent and depth wise. And TT did nothing to solidfy that.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i doubt his plans are based on his optimism, but rather a belief in the work he and his staff have done. There's a difference. and the rosters are not set. I wasn't being petty, I was pointing out that it is freaking MARCH and the rosters are not set, no games are even on the schedule for months. Every year it's spend money to spend money. Nobody has a clue how these guys would be, i seriously doubt any of you spent any amount of time watching the ******* Bills last year or the year before or the year before.

It's entirely possible that the only reason those top 2 rated DB's looked so good was because they had a much better group putting pressure on the QB up front and weren't playing around 3 different players every game in the defensive backfield. BB isn't always right. I still remember a swap of receivers of sorts in a draft a while back that everyone thought Bill won that one too.

and Ted has certainly had other good players developed besides 1 a decade ago, talk about being petty.

How can you say his plan for 2017, as of now, isn't based on optimism? He is banking on Randall Rollins and Gunter not slighty, but SIGNIFICANTLY improving and for one of them to assume the #1 CB spot. Or he thinks House is gonna be able to play the spot, even though House was rated one of the worse CBs in coverage last season, and apparently didn't gel in Jacksonville's scheme because it demanded him to play more press coverage, which he couldn't handle. OR, he believes a young draft pick is gonna come in and save the day. That is completely a 50/50 thing.

A more solid plan, would've been to sign or trade for one of those legit number one CBs since he lost Shields to a career ending injury. Gilmore or Bouye were available. Trumaine Johnson was rumored to be on the trade block. Joe Haden is still being rumored to be moved. Malcom Butler? Seemed available too. Logan Ryan, maybe not a legit #1 but a player that could've greatly improved the CB core as he would've been the best one by far.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying Randall Rollins and Gunter should be thrown out. They can all still turn into solid players. But come on, they really think one of them can be a legit #1 for 2017? And that's the expectation for them? Such a risky plan, SUCH a risky plan...

Your argument is that none of us know if any of those FAs would pan out? My argument is that it's time to find out for ourselves if FAs would pan out, cause draft and develop hasn't been effective enough. I also never said Rodgers was the only one that TT has successfully developed, and I never even said his philosophy is useless. It just needs to be paired with Free Agency to put this team over the top.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
How can you say his plan for 2017, as of now, isn't based on optimism? He is banking on Randall Rollins and Gunter not slighty, but SIGNIFICANTLY improving and for one of them to assume the #1 CB spot. Or he thinks House is gonna be able to play the spot, even though House was rated one of the worse CBs in coverage last season, and apparently didn't gel in Jacksonville's scheme because it demanded him to play more press coverage, which he couldn't handle. OR, he believes a young draft pick is gonna come in and save the day. That is completely a 50/50 thing.

A more solid plan, would've been to sign or trade for one of those legit number one CBs since he lost Shields to a career ending injury. Gilmore or Bouye were available. Trumaine Johnson was rumored to be on the trade block. Joe Haden is still being rumored to be moved. Malcom Butler? Seemed available too. Logan Ryan, maybe not a legit #1 but a player that could've greatly improved the CB core as he would've been the best one by far.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying Randall Rollins and Gunter should be thrown out. They can all still turn into solid players. But come on, they really think one of them can be a legit #1 for 2017? And that's the expectation for them? Such a risky plan, SUCH a risky plan...

Your argument is that none of us know if any of those FAs would pan out? My argument is that it's time to find out for ourselves if FAs would pan out, cause draft and develop hasn't been effective enough. I also never said Rodgers was the only one that TT has successfully developed, and I never even said his philosophy is useless. It just needs to be paired with Free Agency to put this team over the top.
Look, Ted Thompson better be careful because if he tries trotting out that poo poo platter of epic disaster that was our defense last season, and we fail in the playoffs again as a result of giving up 30/40+ points, Rodgers might ask out. And I'm telling you right now, while I would be devastated by that, I wouldn't blame him not even a little bit.

The TT apologists are saying "but look he's signing FA's". This team is worse right now than it was before free agency started. Now I understand that there is a long way to go, but TT has already struck out on getting a big name corner in free agency, especially considering the money that was saved by releasing Shields which is really what irritates me to no end right now.

I'm not giving up yet, TT could have a move or two up his sleeve, but right now, things do not look good. It appears as if he's banking all of his hopes on the draft, and we know how that has panned out recently.

Anyone suggesting that his current course of action has yielded any promising results are even worse than the TT haters.

Our future hall of fame quarterback that has won a Super Bowl says we need to be all in, and you let quality #1 caliber cornerbacks pass you by. It's nothing short of disgraceful.

Members online

Latest posts