Is Ted done?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you say his plan for 2017, as of now, isn't based on optimism? He is banking on Randall Rollins and Gunter not slighty, but SIGNIFICANTLY improving and for one of them to assume the #1 CB spot. Or he thinks House is gonna be able to play the spot, even though House was rated one of the worse CBs in coverage last season, and apparently didn't gel in Jacksonville's scheme because it demanded him to play more press coverage, which he couldn't handle. OR, he believes a young draft pick is gonna come in and save the day. That is completely a 50/50 thing.

A more solid plan, would've been to sign or trade for one of those legit number one CBs since he lost Shields to a career ending injury. Gilmore or Bouye were available. Trumaine Johnson was rumored to be on the trade block. Joe Haden is still being rumored to be moved. Malcom Butler? Seemed available too. Logan Ryan, maybe not a legit #1 but a player that could've greatly improved the CB core as he would've been the best one by far.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying Randall Rollins and Gunter should be thrown out. They can all still turn into solid players. But come on, they really think one of them can be a legit #1 for 2017? And that's the expectation for them? Such a risky plan, SUCH a risky plan...

Your argument is that none of us know if any of those FAs would pan out? My argument is that it's time to find out for ourselves if FAs would pan out, cause draft and develop hasn't been effective enough. I also never said Rodgers was the only one that TT has successfully developed, and I never even said his philosophy is useless. It just needs to be paired with Free Agency to put this team over the top.
I said there's a difference between a belief in the work you and your staff have done, and just thinking everything is going to be better. Call it whatever you want to. and House was much better under a press man coverage scheme his first year in Jacksonville than he was last year when they changed it. At least that's what the reports are. Jacksonville is another team I don't watch with any regularity. Couldn't even tell you what defense they ran. But according to House his first year they ran press man coverage and he put up very similar stats to the guy the Patriots just signed to a 40 million dollar guarantee. then last year they switched the defense.

My argument is, and always has been, that these guys know what they're doing. They're better than the rest of us by a long shot. They've earned my respect and while I may really, really, really want a FA cornerback to be signed last tuesday, i'm not going to get on here and act like I know any better.

and you don't know the plan, just like I don't. I think they're going to go pass rushers and a 2nd or later DB. I think they're going to play burnett down more and put brice on the field more. I think the defense is going to look different and be better and it relies more on getting pass rushers than defensive backs. Of course if we have 3 different people playing in the 2ndary or anyt other position for that matter, it will affect how things go.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think they're going to play burnett down more and put brice on the field more.

While that sounds like a decent plan if Brice develops into a decent player that still leaves Randall, Rollins and Gunter to cover outside receivers. Scary thought.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would give up Cobb, give Allison the chance to take his place. And sign him to a two year deal say, 18 million, give him 9 a year, or bump to 7 million.

I give him a shot, let Gunter walk as well.

What you would give up and what Seattle would take are probably two different things. If we think Cobb is way overpriced what makes you think Seattle wouldn't think the same thing.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, Ted Thompson better be careful because if he tries trotting out that poo poo platter of epic disaster that was our defense last season, and we fail in the playoffs again as a result of giving up 30/40+ points, Rodgers might ask out. And I'm telling you right now, while I would be devastated by that, I wouldn't blame him not even a little bit.

The TT apologists are saying "but look he's signing FA's". This team is worse right now than it was before free agency started. Now I understand that there is a long way to go, but TT has already struck out on getting a big name corner in free agency, especially considering the money that was saved by releasing Shields which is really what irritates me to no end right now.

I'm not giving up yet, TT could have a move or two up his sleeve, but right now, things do not look good. It appears as if he's banking all of his hopes on the draft, and we know how that has panned out recently.

Anyone suggesting that his current course of action has yielded any promising results are even worse than the TT haters.

Our future hall of fame quarterback that has won a Super Bowl says we need to be all in, and you let quality #1 caliber cornerbacks pass you by. It's nothing short of disgraceful.

ya that's probably the biggest thing for me. That losing Shields really exposed the talent level of the rest of the CBs, and investing his cap hit directly back into the position should've been a lay up, the decision was basically made for him, and yet he still couldn't deliver and connect that last dot.

The mans job is to improve the roster the best way possible, and he hasn't done that, NO DEBATE, he hasn't done that.

He is too confident in his draft picks. For reasons that aren't clear.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said there's a difference between a belief in the work you and your staff have done, and just thinking everything is going to be better. Call it whatever you want to. and House was much better under a press man coverage scheme his first year in Jacksonville than he was last year when they changed it. At least that's what the reports are. Jacksonville is another team I don't watch with any regularity. Couldn't even tell you what defense they ran. But according to House his first year they ran press man coverage and he put up very similar stats to the guy the Patriots just signed to a 40 million dollar guarantee. then last year they switched the defense.

My argument is, and always has been, that these guys know what they're doing. They're better than the rest of us by a long shot. They've earned my respect and while I may really, really, really want a FA cornerback to be signed last tuesday, i'm not going to get on here and act like I know any better.

and you don't know the plan, just like I don't. I think they're going to go pass rushers and a 2nd or later DB. I think they're going to play burnett down more and put brice on the field more. I think the defense is going to look different and be better and it relies more on getting pass rushers than defensive backs. Of course if we have 3 different people playing in the 2ndary or anyt other position for that matter, it will affect how things go.

ya i mean, that's fair. I don't try to act like I know more than them even if sometimes I sound like I think I do. They ultimately know way more. But at the same time, TONS of people are calling for the things I am. Endless tweets from NFL writers and articles about it, NFL analysts always talking about it. Former GMs even. So theres something more to it more than just some random fans on a forum.

Just think that making more moves in FA or a trade, is one way to go about it. And it's a way we don't explore much. We keep on trying the "find our own guys" way and it's inefficient at the moment. That's all

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he should be fired for taking D. Randall over benardrick McKinney! JK. I still have faith in TT.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What you would give up and what Seattle would take are probably two different things. If we think Cobb is way overpriced what makes you think Seattle wouldn't think the same thing.
Cobb had a great catch per throw percentage. Like 74% or something close....makes me want to keep him....lol. throw him the ball more. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Given some pretty glaring needs (in this fan's eyes), coupled with the amount of Cap space still available, I am not convinced that TT is, or at least should be, done in Free Agency. While most of the "Big Name, high priced, impact" players are gone, there is still a long list of FA's and RFA's out there that could help out the Packers and in the process, allow them to draft based more on "BPA" VS "Need".

As I see it, 5 positions that could possibly still be improved with a FA signing are: CB, RB, G, OLB, DL

CB: Not much left out there to address the obvious need of a #1. Ross Cockrell would cost us a 4th rounder, but might be our best hope of filling that need. Brandon Flowers is another option, but his injury history makes him a dice roll. I don't see trading for Sherman or Bulter realistic or probable. Finding a #1 CB for 2017 in the draft is a pipe dream.

RB: While I like Monty, I think relying on him and a rookie to be our #1 and #2 is dangerous. We saw last year what happens at the position when you have an injury or lack of production. LeGarrette Blount would be my choice to bring in.

G: The loss of both Lang and Tretter really made our OL thin. While a suitable starter may currently be on the team or available in the draft, I would prefer signing a vet, if for nothing more than for depth. Options?

OLB: Perry, Matthews, Elliot and Fackerell. Perry should be a solid starter, but will he stay healthy? What Clay Matthew will we see? Elliot and Fackerell need to make a jump to be impact players. Running out of options in the FA market here as well.

DL: Guion's suspension has to make his future in GB questionable. Daniels solid. Clark will hopefully improve in his second year. After those 2, Lowry and Ringo. I don't expect a rookie to come in an make an impact on the DL. Hankins would be a bold, **** move, but not one I expect, nor would want the Packers to take.

Who is your next FA signing to help the Packers?

Last edited:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DL I could see Daniels, Clark(NT), and Lowry starting... I think Clark was drafted to play NT

G: I'm assuming Spriggs or Barclay take over for Sitton

OLB: should be fine... I ddn't really want Barwin as he's the same player as Clay at this point in his career... IMHO. I would have loved Hightower though

RB: I have a good feeling AD will be brought in

CB: REVIS, REVIS REVIS!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many teams might still be mulling over roster bonuses to be paid, but that can always result in a veeran being released here and there. If so, and if Ted sees someone he likes at a bargain discount......mebbe.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many teams might still be mulling over roster bonuses to be paid, but that can always result in a veeran being released here and there. If so, and if Ted sees someone he likes at a bargain discount......mebbe.
Good point, there are still teams that are going to clear some cap space imo. Happens every year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point, there are still teams that are going to clear some cap space imo. Happens every year.
no it doesn't. Rosters do not change at all between March and September. Toss the towel boys, seasons over

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, whenever they do change, we'll be here to take about the state of the team at that time.

D

Deleted member 6794

CB: Not much left out there to address the obvious need of a #1. Ross Cockrell would cost us a 4th rounder, but might be our best hope of filling that need. Brandon Flowers is another option, but his injury history makes him a dice roll. I don't see trading for Sherman or Bulter realistic or probable. Finding a #1 CB for 2017 in the draft is a pipe dream.

The Packers should definitely stay away from Flowers as he suffered his fourth concussion last season. With what happened to Shields over the past few years the team should pass on him.

There are several posters around here talking about that every single offseason. If you're honest how many of those players has Thompson signed and they ended up having an impact though???

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
He has kept his word over being a team that has playoffs all the time. Don't get rid of him.

D

Deleted member 6794

He has kept his word over being a team that has playoffs all the time. Don't get rid of him.

Making the playoffs isn't the ultimate goal in Titletown though, especially while having a generational talent playing quarterback.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has he blew his *** already? Or is there one or two more in the works?

Every one has to admit, he has been very active.. 4 true free agents... Yes one was our own, but it's 4 now

I don't think Ted is done looking - Whether or not he actually pulls the trigger is another matter.

By my count, as of this writing, Ted has brought in four players who played with other teams last year: Bennett, Kendricks, House and Francois. He looked at OT Byron Bell before he was eventually signed by the Cowboys, which would seem to indicate he is interested in bringing in another offensive lineman. He recently responded to a question about Green Bay's running back situation by saying "We need more guys", so he might be pursuing something there. Ted, however, is a bargain hunter, so unless he unearths treasure in the discount bin, none of this window shopping will result in a signing.

There's no harm in looking, however, so I'm confident he's doing that.

Members online

Latest posts