Is Ted done?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Has he blew his *** already? Or is there one or two more in the works?

Every one has to admit, he has been very active.. 4 true free agents... Yes one was our own, but it's 4 now

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a trade that will allow us to get Butler.. I see Cobb gone freeing up more money for him. Imagine this crazy scenario. Hightower and Butler join teammate in GB.. Crazy i know. Discuss....or extinguish it...

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a trade that will allow us to get Butler.. I see Cobb gone freeing up more money for him. Imagine this crazy scenario. Hightower and Butler join teammate in GB.. Crazy i know. Discuss....or extinguish it...
I'd be ecstatic. I think ol' Teddy has one more trick up his sleeve.

Reaction score
At <5 mil per signing. We still have enough cap to do some damage. I think Bennett = Cook and
House = Hyde..give or take a smidgen.
Our biggest $ contract was consummated with Perry resigning
The average contract $ should conceivably go down,so I expect Ted to part with another 5-10 million at either RB, LB, CB, OL or some combination thereof. He'll probably hold at +- 15 mil for contract extensions etc..

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey the Packers are well on their way!!! to 10-6.....Two days ago I had them at 9-7. House is good for at least one more win and a clutch pass deflection in a 38-35 win somewhere down the line. haha

Teddy made that obvious signings as a GM he should have made. They needed a TE and he signed two, they needed a corner and he signed a former Packer who knows Capers stale defense. The thing is it still won't be enough to at least get back to the SB. 10-6

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Barwin is still out there and the Packers were connected to him.

I think they need some help on the DL, especially with Guion's suspension.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just don't see cutting Cobb for the 6 million or so it would free up as being worth it. As much as people don't like to admit it we are still not stacked at WR. Nelson, Cobb, Adams and who? Take Cobb out and its Nelson , Adams and who? If you cut him you have to replace him and how much is that going to cost? 3 or 4 million, so now you only end up saving 2 or 3 million by cutting him and its not worth it. Now if Ted would have traded the 29th pick to the Saints for Cooks and then cut Cobb I could see it. Not that I would have been for that trade given our needs but having a cheaper replacement for Cobb would make cutting him easier to take. I'm not necessarily saying it would be an even replacement but it would be cheaper for a guy capable of similar production.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At <5 mil per signing. We still have enough cap to do some damage. I think Bennett = Cook and
House = Hyde..give or take a smidgen.
Our biggest $ contract was consummated with Perry resigning
The average contract $ should conceivably go down,so I expect Ted to part with another 5-10 million at either RB, LB, CB, OL or some combination thereof. He'll probably hold at +- 15 mil for contract extensions etc..

I think Bennett is better than Cook and House may be a better CB than Hyde but maybe not as versatile. I know, that's where your smidgen comes in I just wanted to clarify my give or take a smidgen.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey the Packers are well on their way!!! to 10-6.....Two days ago I had them at 9-7. House is good for at least one more win and a clutch pass deflection in a 38-35 win somewhere down the line. haha

Teddy made that obvious signings as a GM he should have made. They needed a TE and he signed two, they needed a corner and he signed a former Packer who knows Capers stale defense. The thing is it still won't be enough to at least get back to the SB. 10-6

That should put them in the playoffs again and as you know that's all that really matters to most Packer fans.:coffee:

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't help but notice the strengths of the draft and the signings (or lack there of) by TT are aligning. Corners, RB, and DE/OLB tweeners (Hyde, Lacy, and Peppers/Datone) are abundant throughout the draft . In the 3rd to 5th round their are some solid interior bulldozers on both sides of the ball (Lang and Guion). I suspect that's the focus now. I'm a TT fan but, he'd better not miss the mark on those picks this year!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Cobb for Butler? And sign hightower?

I think Cobb would be welker-esque in new England. And with Butler/hightower, I think GB is much better...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I'd be all for it and Cobb trending in wrong direction.

We have Antwan Goodley who I think could become a nice weapon. He has big time vertical speed. Really liked him when he played at Baylor

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Every one has to admit, he has been very active.. 4 true free agents... Yes one was our own, but it's 4 now
To the **** retentive "purists" on here, only one counts as a free agent. For some reason they get fixated on the difference between a street free agent and an unrestricted FA. As if it really matters but to them it does. Resigning your own doesn't even show up for the debate. Be prepared for a rebuttal of the 4 you count in about 10 hours. You also didn't count the RFAs such as Elliot and Schum.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does matter because only Bennett 3 year 21 million contract counts in compensatory pick formula. Peppers 1 at 3.5, Lacy 1 at 5.5, jones 1 at 3.5, Lang at 3 for 28.5, Tretter 3 for 16.75, Hyde 5 for 32 all count in the packers favor. By my count the packers spent 21 and lost players that signed for a total of 89.75 so that's plus 68.75 million. Not sure how it works but even if Bennett and Lang cancel each other out packers in line for a 5th for Tretter and a fourth for Hyde just guessing based on the 5th they got for Casey Hayward this year and the 4 th they got for house a few years back. So house got picked with a 4th comp pick then left as free agent netting packers a 4th comp pick now he's back on the team. TT did well on that deal especially if house plays well this season

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've been critical of TT but I think he is doing a pretty good job and yes he has been active. Lang just wanted too much money. The only mistake there was not trying to re-do a more cap friendly deal and extend him earlier but maybe there worried about his age vs health. They only wanted to guarantee him 6 mill.

I really like what he has done at TE and despite what I hear some say it has made the offense significantly better when you consider the versatility he added. We have speed and power at TE position now. This offense is gonna be a match up nightmare for defenses across the league.

Peppers, Hyde, Jones and Lacy are all guys I have no problem seeing go with Lacy leading the way. Not sure why people wanted this guy back when it's obvious he is on his way to 300 pounds. Where there is smoke there is fire in regards to Lacy. We don't need his fat ***.

I like bringing back Elliott and Perry. I think they might have something with Elliott getting more of a chance this year.

I'm not crazy about House coming back but would rather have him then Gunter out there any day and House knows the system. Glad to see Allison back.

I think adding a Barwin or Malcom Butler or both would really set this team up for the draft nicely.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In another week or so, it will be Ted's time to sign. I'd expect a raft of 1-2 year minimal $$ deals with "who's that" guys. Expect some defensive camp bodies for an extended look. Like McCray(?) last year or Mulligan and Muir about 5 seasons back

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something else is probably going to happen, but your guess is as good as mine. I honestly don't see us trading for Johnson or Butler at corner. I would like to see Barwin on a short contract for his presence and the possibility of him turning it around with a good coach and back at 3-4. Charles would also be an interesting signing with Lacy gone, but it would have to be cheap because he'll probably be on the field for less time than lacy was.

Edit: Another signing I don't think would happen, but would be pretty awesome as long as the doctor's clear his back would be Poe. I couldn't even imagine a healthy Poe along with Clark and Daniels.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, let's take a look at the Packers offseason so far. The team added Bennett, House and Kendricks while losing Cook, Hyde, Lacy, Lang, Jones, Peppers, Shields, Starks and Tretter.

There's absolutely no reason to believe that overall the team got any better compared to last season.

I'd be all for it and Cobb trending in wrong direction.

We have Antwan Goodley who I think could become a nice weapon. He has big time vertical speed. Really liked him when he played at Baylor

It's ridiculous to suggest that a receiver that has played zero snaps in the NFL since going undrafted two years ago would be an adequate replacement for Cobb.

It does matter because only Bennett 3 year 21 million contract counts in compensatory pick formula. Peppers 1 at 3.5, Lacy 1 at 5.5, jones 1 at 3.5, Lang at 3 for 28.5, Tretter 3 for 16.75, Hyde 5 for 32 all count in the packers favor. By my count the packers spent 21 and lost players that signed for a total of 89.75 so that's plus 68.75 million. Not sure how it works but even if Bennett and Lang cancel each other out packers in line for a 5th for Tretter and a fourth for Hyde just guessing based on the 5th they got for Casey Hayward this year and the 4 th they got for house a few years back. So house got picked with a 4th comp pick then left as free agent netting packers a 4th comp pick now he's back on the team. TT did well on that deal especially if house plays well this season

That's sooooo exciting!!!!! It doesn't matter the team isn't any closer to winning another Super Bowl as long as it won the 2018 compensatory picks sweepstakes. :rolleyes:

In another week or so, it will be Ted's time to sign. I'd expect a raft of 1-2 year minimal $$ deals with "who's that" guys. Expect some defensive camp bodies for an extended look. Like McCray(?) last year or Mulligan and Muir about 5 seasons back

None of the guys you mentioned played a single snap for the Packers.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason to believe that overall the team got any better compared to last season.
This.

We need to boost our defence.... Greatly. And I'm not seeing anything there.

1 x CB
2 x D LB
1 x RB

And half that in FA and Ted can count himself done. Else it'd be a botched free agency.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
He's doing alright job filled the TE hole. Let Lang walk was good move. Getting house is a step in the right direction to patch up the secondary. I feel Ted is going to draft to repair the secondary. First pick I feel is going to be a CB.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's ridiculous to suggest that a receiver that has played zero snaps in the NFL since going undrafted two years ago would be an adequate replacement for Cobb

I'm gonna make note of this because I think Goodley can play. He was projected to be a 4th round talent and has lost weight from his college days. I expect him to develop into a nice option in the slot. He is faster then Cobb and can go the distance on any given play. He just needs time to develop his route tree.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the OP, I think that Ted will find a Tier III guard to bring into camp as a backstop. Otherwise he is likely focused on the draft.

Well, let's take a look at the Packers offseason so far. The team added Bennett, House and Kendricks while losing Cook, Hyde, Lacy, Lang, Jones, Peppers, Shields, Starks and Tretter.

Have we gotten better yet, no, but the player acquisition phase is only partly complete.

Cook - quality starter
Lang - quality starter

Hyde - quality backup
Peppers - quality backup

Jones - backup

Lacy, Shields, Starks, and Tretter were all injured players. Tretter was the best of the lot but couldn't stay healthy as a backup.

We replaced two quality starters and a bunch of backup and injured players with House, Bennett (both starters), and Kendricks who will likely split time with RR.

I don't think that we took any real steps backward from those FA losses. If their departures cleared space for better players - which is TBD - then they will turn out to be good non-moves.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Who Knows? They tend to keep everything quiet until they are signed on the dotted line. I really don't have any problems with the players they have signed. Go Pack.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lacy, Shields, Starks, and Tretter were all injured players. Tretter was the best of the lot but couldn't stay healthy as a backup.

The Packers planned on having those players on the roster entering last season though. While there is still a lot of time left before the team is finalized there's no doubt in my mind it is currently weaker than in 2016.

Members online

Latest posts