Is Ted done?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares what they planned on a year ago? Shields was done, Starks was washed up, Lacy couldn't stay healthy, and Tretter was the only semi-loss. Unless you were counting on those players to play important roles in 2017 there shouldn't be a reason to feel remorse over their departures.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who cares what they planned on a year ago? Shields was done, Starks was washed up, Lacy couldn't stay healthy, and Tretter was the only semi-loss. Unless you were counting on those players to play important roles in 2017 there shouldn't be a reason to feel remorse over their departures.

I feel remorse about the Packers losing Shields, especially as Thompson hasn't replaced him adequately so far.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys like Shields aren't just replaced. Just like all pro's drafted like Nick Collins aren't just replaced. I don't know how good that guy from Houston or the Bills were, I don't watch them that often. I do know they played behind a lot more pressure from up front. i also know that guys that are worth it, usually aren't let go until they aren't worth it, or they are vastly over paid. Nothing about the DB's this FA excited me and besides Perry, who we signed, there wasn't a pass rusher worth investing much in either.

You act like losing a guy like Finley, just replace him. Nick Collins, just go get someone, Shields, should have had someone available in October on speed dial Ted. Never mind the roster turnover and the 10,000 other variables in any given year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Guys like Shields aren't just replaced. Just like all pro's drafted like Nick Collins aren't just replaced. I don't know how good that guy from Houston or the Bills were, I don't watch them that often. I do know they played behind a lot more pressure from up front. i also know that guys that are worth it, usually aren't let go until they aren't worth it, or they are vastly over paid. Nothing about the DB's this FA excited me and besides Perry, who we signed, there wasn't a pass rusher worth investing much in either.

You act like losing a guy like Finley, just replace him. Nick Collins, just go get someone, Shields, should have had someone available in October on speed dial Ted. Never mind the roster turnover and the 10,000 other variables in any given year.

It's extremely tough to replace a player like Shields but even harder not using free agency. Draft picks normally take several years to develop and there's no guarantee even a first round pick performs at a similar level.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm gonna make note of this because I think Goodley can play. He was projected to be a 4th round talent and has lost weight from his college days. I expect him to develop into a nice option in the slot. He is faster then Cobb and can go the distance on any given play. He just needs time to develop his route tree.

So you are going on record as saying you seen his breakout coming? Just make sure you bring this up again when he is out of the league in 2 more years.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's extremely tough to replace a player like Shields but even harder not using free agency. Draft picks normally take several years to develop and there's no guarantee even a first round pick performs at a similar level.

The Shields situation is different than most cases involving players leaving IMO. Had it not been for the concussion Shields would be on our roster taking up whatever cap room he would be taking up. He is not on our roster so that cap hit is gone. It only makes sense to me to use that cap money that would have gone to Shields to find a capable replacement. As was said several months ago by a few people Ted should have used the money freed up by releasing Shields to directly address his replacement. Its not like he was a FA and we had to deal with the prospect of replacing him with whatever money we had available. His leaving gave us the money we needed. I suppose it could be said that Ted used the money gained when Shields left to sign Bennett and that's legit but it still leaves a huge hole at CB.

Its a matter of semantics I suppose since all the money went into the same pot to be used to improve the team overall but it just seems to me that replacing a player you were counting on to be there would have made sense.

Other than that I'm OK with what has happened in FA thus far. I do not think the players we lost, given what it would have taken to keep them, were that big of a deal. We lost Cook and upgraded. We lost Hyde and probably upgraded. The other losses on the defensive side of the ball should be relatively easy to replace. The hit on the O-line will be the biggest loss but its one starter and a backup. I'm not to worried about it.

Bottom line to me is the failure to replace Sam Shields is really the only negative thing I have to say about the way Ted has handled the off season so far and it is only so far. It is not over yet.

I realize that simply replacing is not the overall goal, the goal is improving so in that respect we do have a ways to go.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Other than that I'm OK with what has happened in FA thus far. I do not think the players we lost, given what it would have taken to keep them, were that big of a deal. We lost Cook and upgraded. We lost Hyde and probably upgraded. The other losses on the defensive side of the ball should be relatively easy to replace. The hit on the O-line will be the biggest loss but its one starter and a backup. I'm not to worried about it.

Bottom line to me is the failure to replace Sam Shields is really the only negative thing I have to say about the way Ted has handled the off season so far and it is only so far. It is not over yet.

While the players the Packers lost on defense this offseason should be easy to replace the unit was in need of a significant upgrade entering the new league year. Unfortunately that hasn't happened at all.

I agree Thompson should have used the cap space saved by releasing Shields on a cornerback.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In theory it sounds nice to say take the money slated for Shields and give it to another CB to take his place. I thought it was a possibility, but admittedly don't know much about either of the big dollar guys and the rest are guys that won't take his place either.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
None of the guys you mentioned played a single snap for the Packers.
Yeah I know. That's why I used them for my example. Doesn't mean he didn't try at the time. I expect several similar types this offseason looking for guys that were bad scheme fits in their last jobs like Datone here or House in Jax or are diamonds in the rough to be coached up like Tramon & Guion back in the day.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I know. That's why I used them for my example. Doesn't mean he didn't try at the time.

I'm sorry but I don't get excited about Thompson signing free agents that most likely don't end up playing for the Packers at all.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bennett is better than Cook and House may be a better CB than Hyde but maybe not as versatile. I know, that's where your smidgen comes in I just wanted to clarify my give or take a smidgen.

Hyde is a better tackler and zone player, House is a much better cover guy though. Its an upgrade, Hyde was just a poor man's Morgan Burnett whereas House gives us some stability on the boundaries.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
27.5 ish mil left. 6.5 mil for rookie and unsigned guys, 10 mil carryover, imo. That leaves us with roughly 10 million to spend on FA's .
I don't expect Peterson, unless he really wants us. (Michael, Blount, DeAngelo, Charles)? Does a pounder like Blount fit well with Monty?
Don't see any guard prospects out there.
Don't expect an ILB
CB's seem to be gone
Maybe a DL ( Hankins, Mario Williams, )? Poe likely too expensive
There are a few Safties out there, do we look for a versatile S ?
3 three mil guys?
2 five mil guys ?

I think we go strong at CB in the draft( supposed to be strong CB draft)
RB?
DL
OL
OLB

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ricky Jean-Francois released. I'd definitely kick the tires on him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Mo Claiborne wants 7.5 mill per year. Ravens have offered him 5. I say offer him 6 on a 1 year deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mo Claiborne wants 7.5 mill per year. Ravens have offered him 5. I say offer him 6 on a 1 year deal.

Thompson should risk offering Claiborne $7.5 million a season. The Packers have enough cap space and he's the most talented cornerback still available.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Thompson should risk offering Claiborne $7.5 million a season. The Packers have enough cap space and he's the most talented cornerback still available.

He actually fits what the defense does. I know he has some health issues but he would be a nice "stop gap" there while they develop someone. I like that he came off his best season and he is only 27.

Him and House starting would be nice upgrade from last year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If there gonna let the whole season ride on Randall and whether or not he can pull his head out of his *** with the cap space they have available then this organization doesn't deserve to win a Super Bowl. That's just a total bonehead move.

Sign Claiborne and Barwin to 1 year deals and give the team the best chance to win "NOW". If they do this they can attack the draft in a whole different manner and not have so much pressure on a bunch of rookies having to come in and perform at a high level right away.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If there gonna let the whole season ride on Randall and whether or not he can pull his head out of his *** with the cap space they have available then this organization doesn't deserve to win a Super Bowl. That's just a total bonehead move.

Sign Claiborne and Barwin to 1 year deals and give the team the best chance to win "NOW". If they do this they can attack the draft in a whole different manner and not have so much pressure on a bunch of rookies having to come in and perform at a high level right away.
That makes way too much sense for it to actually end up happening. ;)

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with cap rollover and rookie salaries accounted for, we're probably down to about 6-8 million to spend tops. That's not enough for both of the players you've mentioned.

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is starting to look like college football..........Every four years a graduating class !

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they brought in Connor Barwin, Ricky Jean-Francois, and a veteran back, I'd be pretty satisfied.