• Realease or trade

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Retire

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion being up by seven points shouldn't be considered a big lead. But of course you ignore it as it doesn't fit your narrative.

You talked about Rodgers leading the final drive in which they could have scored but they kneeled down, so they were up 14 points at that point.

In addition you suggest to ignore his fourth quarter performance against the Niners in the 2019 NFCCG because they were down by too many points as well.

Being down 34-7 in the 4th is hardly a clutch situation. That's garbage time with prevent defenses.

Reaction score
While the Patriots did a fantastic job of structuring Brady's contracts it's a myth he actually took less money than other quarterbacks to surround him with better talent.
I never said anything about The Patriots even once. I was actually referring to his contracts more recently in Tampa. Rodgers contract has kept us in a fiscal hostage situation compared to Brady. That’s a comparison of two great QB’s going into the their twilight years with similar talent level
Are you on board with taking the third best offer, the offer that doesn't make the Packers as much better as other offers might, just to avoid having Rodgers in the NFC?
I’m not overly concerned about anything as long as it’s NOT in the North. Going to the AFC is absolutely a plus and if we didn’t learn that lesson with Tom Brady we never will. It likely cost us our ultimate goal in 2020.

Now that’s behind us. If Detroit or Chicago gave us something stupid like 3 Day 1 selections +
I might contemplate that. Those guys aren’t very smart over there in the Windy City, must be something in the Water

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Changing a play changes the game from exactly what happened. No telling if he would have or wouldn't have. I would tend to agree it likely would have, but still crazy to think even if he had there he never did rest of the way.
Why is it crazy. We have talked ad nauseam about how poor the WR & TE rooms were.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eli's Defense (18.8 ppg allowed; 15.1 ppg in SB runs)
Rodger's Defense (26 ppg allowed; worst I've seen amongst elite QBs)
Rodgers' Packers have only been held under 20 pts once in 22 playoff games. Imagine his win percentage with a competent defense.
Stop falling for the narrative that football is a QB vs QB battle.
How many points did Rodgers lead his team to last year's? NFCC? I suppose that was someone else's fault too.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it crazy. We have talked ad nauseam about how poor the WR & TE rooms were.

The discussion was about him never hitting 300. My post was directed specifically to that first snap play where Watson dropped it. That would have if the entire rest of the snaps play out the same of that game put him over 300.

I do think it is crazy that Rodgers didn't do it the rest of the season. And I gave an example of how Daniel Jones even broke it three times and he is not near the ball slinger Rodgers is IMO even at this point, and the WR/TE rooms between those two teams are the best two arguments this past year for two of the most unproven or weaker if you want to use that term.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I never said anything about The Patriots even once. I was actually referring to his contracts more recently in Tampa. Rodgers contract has kept us in a fiscal hostage situation compared to Brady. That’s a comparison of two great QB’s going into the their twilight years with similar talent level
I guess I don't think of it that way and this is just my take on it. Teams have to pay QB's. Having poor quarterback play is detrimental to a team. Without a QB the team isn't going that far. There are very few examples of teams that have won the Super Bowl without great QB play. Teams that find a franchise guy have to pay them. What I think what costs teams more is when they overpay free agents. Jones, Bakh, P. Smith, those contracts hurt the bottom line. Those are the cap killers. Everyone needs to pay the QB and they are going to soak up the largest portion of the cap. I don't think Rodgers contracts are the anchor holding the team back from winning championships.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll paraphrase Andrew Brandt again. You all should check him out he's a genius when it comes to contracts and the cap. For those of you who don't know he ran the Packers cap for 10 years. He is often said that using quarterback pay for an excuse for why you can't do anything is a bunch of BS.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“It sounds like there’s already conversations going on that aren’t involving me. That’s very interesting,” Rodgers said.

Yes, no kidding Aaron. Discussions happen that you aren't involved with. So the entire team is supposed to go on hold until you decide? Jets GM calls and asks 'What's up, what would it take', they just supposed to say, "Sorry, front office is closed, moose outside should have told you"

I can't begin to say how much I want off the Rodgers carousel.

Reaction score
I guess I don't think of it that way and this is just my take on it. Teams have to pay QB's. Having poor quarterback play is detrimental to a team. Without a QB the team isn't going that far. There are very few examples of teams that have won the Super Bowl without great QB play. Teams that find a franchise guy have to pay them. What I think what costs teams more is when they overpay free agents. Jones, Bakh, P. Smith, those contracts hurt the bottom line. Those are the cap killers. Everyone needs to pay the QB and they are going to soak up the largest portion of the cap. I don't think Rodgers contracts are the anchor holding the team back from winning championships.
I’ll answer that just like Captain answers the Love debate. It doesn’t help the team to pay league high money either. This isn’t just any contract it’s by far the largest in the league.
It doesn’t take much common sense to understand for every dollar spent on a player it’s one less dollar on another player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Preston Smiths contract is a freaking deal at his age, his experience and his production. Not to mention it is very team friendly.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I'm not a Rodgers hater. I'd be totally fine with him coming back and playing another year. I think he gives them a much better chance at making the playoffs than Love does. However, as the subject of the thread asks, I do think it is time to move on. This merely because I don't think they have a championship roster. To me, it just feels like it's time for a change. The Packers would take a big hit in terms of dead cap, but it could be worth just hitting the reset button and seeing what we actually have in Love. There's potential in some of the young skill players, but they're not there yet and I doubt Rodgers will be around long enough to see them reach that potential. Do I feel like it is time? Yes. Do I think that he still has gas in the tank and would give the Packers a better chance and winning? Yes.
Solid post

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll paraphrase Andrew Brandt again. You all should check him out he's a genius when it comes to contracts and the cap. For those of you who don't know he ran the Packers cap for 10 years. He is often said that using quarterback pay for an excuse for why you can't do anything is a bunch of BS.
I’ve posted his stuff few times. He had Russ balls job.
He would do the negotiations for players

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

big quote, but another person weighs in on money

If Rodgers requests a trade, there are two options: Before June 1st, and after. The former has more cap pain, but the latter means no 2023 draft picks can be acquired.

Assuming Rodgers is moved early in the offseason, the Packers will take on a dead cap hit of $40,313,568, all in 2023, losing $8.69M of cap space this year. If the deal is struck after 6/1, (and assuming the option bonus hasn’t been exercised yet), Green Bay will take on a $15,833,568 dead cap hit in 2023, with another $24,480,000 slated for 2024. The Packers would save $15.79M in 2023 with this move, but not until June 2nd. All of these numbers also apply should Aaron Rodgers retire this offseason.

For those wondering, Rodgers would bring a $15.79M cap figure with him to a new team in 2023, then $32.5M, $51.1M, & $45.2M through 2026. If he were to retire after 2023, he’d leave behind a $43.725M dead cap hit in 2024.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many points did Rodgers lead his team to last year's? NFCC? I suppose that was someone else's fault too.

Solid burn! He mentioned 22 playoffs games and you brought up one of the two times the defense held the other team under 20! The other 20 games don't matter! Prisoner of the moment is a lifestyle that a person must truly embrace and you are an inspiration to those of striving to base our takes on what happens 4.5% (one game out of 22) of the time while ignoring the other 95.5%.

You must have studied history's great masters such as Plato, Socrates, Martin Luther and Lincoln extensively to have mastered the art of debate to this extent. Based on your particular focus on one recent sample I assume that modern "greats" such as Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd have had an impact on you as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've never understood the "QB is paid too much" crowd. In 2022, Aaron Rodgers cap number was 5th. Next season (as of now), his cap number will be 10th. I understand that, if you take away his one great receiver and break the thumb on his throwing hand, he's not worth being paid as the 5th best QB, but let's not pretend that a guy coming off back-to-back MVP seasons, when healthy with NFL caliber receivers, would be some kind of anchor as the 10th highest paid QB in the league. According to the QB WINZZZ crowd, the QB is actually the only guy that matters so they'd be worth paying 80% of the cap!

All of these rankings are based off of overthecap.com's QB position cap numbers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll answer that just like Captain answers the Love debate. It doesn’t help the team to pay league high money either. This isn’t just any contract it’s by far the largest in the league.
It doesn’t take much common sense to understand for every dollar spent on a player it’s one less dollar on another player.

In only 2025 does Rodgers' contract have the highest cap hit amongst QB's. In 2022, he was 5th, in 2023 he's 10th, in 2024 he's 8th, and in in 2026 he's 4th.

As for every dollar at one position costing another at a different position, that's very true. It's why GM's get paid the big bucks and, based on history, it's somewhat rare to see a GM chose extra cap space over having an established, elite QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we keep him we pay him more than $25m a year for him.

Actually if the Packers keep Rodgers for the 2023 they will have to pay him $60 million. He's due another $50 million in '24.

Missed my point again. I said I would not do a one for one trade for Jones. I wouldn't want Jones at all on the Packers. If I'm the Giants I'm sticking with Jones. I'm not trading for Rodgers. They just had a decent season and he showed some progression. Why trade for Rodgers?

I never suggested the Giants should trade for Rodgers.

You talked about Rodgers leading the final drive in which they could have scored but they kneeled down, so they were up 14 points at that point.

I talked about the entire fourth quarter vs. the Rams which they entered leading by seven with him playing well being one of the reasons the Packers extended that lead to 14.

It's interesting to note that including the void years the Bucs added to Brady's contracts since he joined the team he will have counted more towards their cap over the past three seasons at a total of $82.5 million than Rodgers has against the Packers one ($77.7 million)

I would love for the Packers to be able to pay elite players like rookies as well but it's completely unrealistic to suggest something like that. As a side note, Rodgers deal isn'T by far the largest in the league by any means.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Actually if the Packers keep Rodgers for the 2023 they will have to pay him $60 million. He's due another $50 million in '24.
That's not what he counts against the cap though if you check Over The Cap.
I never suggested the Giants should trade for Rodgers.
Neither did I. You jumped into the middle of a conversation and cherry picked what you wanted to.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Brady retiring this morning, Rodgers will be playing this year. No way he goes into the Hall of Fame the same year as Brady.

Reaction score
As for every dollar at one position costing another at a different position, that's very true. It's why GM's get paid the big bucks and, based on history, it's somewhat rare to see a GM chose extra cap space over having an established, elite QB.
Let’s use your numbers and ignore how it will cripple our franchise for 2 seasons. How did that work out in 2022? We could’ve even make .500 and We ran 17.5 points per game for 1/2 a season on an Offense with the top 5 highest paid QB (your assertion) We played at home against a middling Detroit Defense and couldn’t even put up 17 points! The fruit doesn’t lie.. it’s rotten.

That said,I actually agree that Rodgers does give us the best chance this season, I’d agree with that. But you can’t talk about GM’s making BIG $$ and simultaneous ignore the ramifications of the key component of their duty. They MUST be emphasizing their franchises next moves in the medium and long term. Neither involve Rodgers at this moment.

I’m torn. While I do not align with Rodgers way of handling things, I understand the concept of milking his talent as long as feasible. That’s the question isn’t it?
Both parties are at a crossroads

We cannot live in “fear” forever of losing Rodgers and we could have Brock Purdy Turbo version sitting in the wings for $25mil cost over 2 full seasons. A wise GM once said.
We were “looking” for a QB when we found this one.. we can be “looking” again.

The opportunity cost is rising in keeping Rodgers. If he can be traded and we get at minimum 1 Day one and 1 Round Two selection (similar to Davante). I think you take the trade before the market crashes and you have no solid contingency plan. Trade a Round 2 selection for a future Round 1. If Love doesn’t look good? Package next years pair of Round 1 selections and get whichever QB you want from 130 college teams.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts