• Realease or trade

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Retire

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers doesnt retire the cap hit is the cap hit. Sunk cost. Not a decision factor. The question is do you want this guy leading your team going forward. I was done with him after the Tampa Bay debacle which he played a HUGE role in, then took ZERO responsability and then pulled his sophmoric off season BS. THATS when the Packers should have cut their losses. Everything else has been “stupid being painful” and we probably have another year of his pouty BS @$60M to look forward to. Meh - I’m only 66

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching playoff football this weekend, I'd definitely like the Packers/Rodgers to separate. For starters, with his cap hit, I don't see the Packers being able to improve the roster in any meaningful way other than through the draft. There is also the potential that they will need to bring back multiple players in order to make Rodgers 'happy' : Crosby, Lewis, Cobb.

Mobility is just not a part of his game any more and it is apparent that is an important part of the NFL right now. Sure, there are times where he scrambles, but there are other times where he could do something but backs off. And don't get me started on QB sneaks.

Not sure I want another year of "I'll get back to you and let you know" sucked with Favre and sucks now. At some point the band aid will need to be ripped off and Rodgers will not be the QB. I'm not sure another year will be much different than this year.

When he is gone, I sure won't miss the play clock being at 1 seemingly every play.

D

Deleted member 6794

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That....clearly wasn't the point of why I said it at all.

It seems I don't understand the point you were trying to make then. What's actually naive is to expect an NFL player to take a hometown discount though.

Something I've also been considering a bit is the value of having a mobile QB/one who is a bit more of a threat with his legs.

Look at this year's playoff QBs:
Jalen Hurts
Brock Purdy
Kirk Cousins
Tom Brady
Dak Prescott
Daniel Jones
Geno Smith
Patrick Mahomes
Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
Trevor Lawrence
Justin Herbert
Tyler Huntley*
Skyler Thompson*

Now just out of that bunch...Hurts, Allen, Jones, Smith, Mahomes, Lawrence all rank in the top 10 in QB rush yards. Burrow, Prescott, Herbert, Huntley all are inside the top 20, and the injured L. Jackson is #2.

While I would prefer the Packers to have a more mobile quarterback as well I don't want him to run the ball consistently either as that makes them more susceptible to injuries. Just take a look at what happened with Lamar over the past two years.

If Rodgers doesnt retire the cap hit is the cap hit. Sunk cost. Not a decision factor.

It makes a huge difference over the past few years if the Packers keep or trade Rodgers if he doesn't retire though.

For starters, with his cap hit, I don't see the Packers being able to improve the roster in any meaningful way other than through the draft.

You need to understand that the Packers could take an additional cap hit for the 2023 season if Rodgers won't be back with the team for next year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why in the world would SF get rid of Fields for a 40 year old QB with a huge salary? I find it kinda funny when folks say "let's go get so-and-so" without considering what the team of said player thinks.
I think he was saying that as a funny :)

Reaction score
While I have supported Love in the past. Like it or not #12 is our guy at least 1 more season if he doesn’t outright retire. We’re not paying $40.3mil to take a step backwards at QB. That doesn’t make any fiscal sense.

I’m confident that if we added 1 or 2 more good pieces on Defense and had a more capable DC we could easily be a top 10 Defense. That still leaves us room to add a couple of Offensive weapons or a good OL. We need Doubs or Watson pick up where they left off and bring it up a notch. Add a couple playmakers and we could be putting up 26-28 points per game

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagreed with the timing of drafting a QB (Love), I disagreed with them not moving on from Adams and Rodgers both last year (was best for the organization than this dancing each year)...but I could support and understand atleast the reasoning for both.

What I will not find a way to support (at least right now) is the concept of IF they pick up Jordan Love's 5th year option YET keep Rodgers here....as Capt has broken down IF Rodgers is still here all of 2023 and then after that season he retires or parts ways with us the cap hit is even bigger....factor in an additional $20M or higher 5th year tag on Love....NOPE.

If Rodgers stays and GB says - we have literally welded our hitch to his wagon...JORDAN LOVE HAS TO BE TRADED. I don't care if it is for two Day 3 picks. Cut your losses, move on and try somehow to run back something which has ended four years straight with failure at home.

Reaction score
I disagreed with the timing of drafting a QB (Love), I disagreed with them not moving on from Adams and Rodgers both last year (was best for the organization than this dancing each year)...but I could support and understand atleast the reasoning for both.

What I will not find a way to support (at least right now) is the concept of IF they pick up Jordan Love's 5th year option YET keep Rodgers here....as Capt has broken down IF Rodgers is still here all of 2023 and then after that season he retires or parts ways with us the cap hit is even bigger....factor in an additional $20M or higher 5th year tag on Love....NOPE.

If Rodgers stays and GB says - we have literally welded our hitch to his wagon...JORDAN LOVE HAS TO BE TRADED. I don't care if it is for two Day 3 picks. Cut your losses, move on and try somehow to run back something which has ended four years straight with failure at home.
Exactly. Let the kid play somewhere.

In addition, even a couple earlier Day3 selections in trade for Love could help you win a football game.
I still don’t think it’s improbable to get a top #75 overall for Jordan. While the Rookie contract is expiring, he has had 3 years in a strong QB system. An acquiring team potentially doesn’t have to groom him for a season or two.. he’s already primed. At QB Jordan is not going to require anything more $$ wise than an average WR1 would be asking.
Personally if I’m a team that’s in need of a QB, but I’m not picking top 8 area this draft? I’d easily use a early 3rd Rounder for legitimate competition at QB.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I have supported Love in the past. Like it or not #12 is our guy at least 1 more season if he doesn’t outright retire. We’re not paying $40.3mil to take a step backwards at QB. That doesn’t make any fiscal sense.
GB already paid AR that $40.8mil Signing Bonus last summer, it just hits the cap now in '23 whether he plays for GB or not. IF he plays for the Packers he pockets AN ADDITIONAL $58.3mil in '23!!

Whether AR retires or is traded GB eats that $40.8mil in cap. IMHO it's Love time allowing Gute to start cleaning up the cap-mess.

AR has said that he doesn't want to be part of a re-build...so if Gute doesn't re-sign: Cobb, Lewis, Lazard, & Tonyan I think AR will choose to retire or move on (LV?, Washington?, NY Jets?).

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

AR has said that he doesn't want to be part of a re-build...so if Gute doesn't re-sign: Cobb, Lewis, Lazard, & Tonyan I think AR will choose to retire or move on (LV?, Washington?, NY Jets?).
You forgot Minnesota or don`t they bother with our cast offs anymore ?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot Minnesota or don`t they bother with our cast offs anymore ?
They already have a high-priced vet QB who can't get to the Super Bowl. Not an all-inclusive list as could've added Indy, Carolina, Tampa, Houston, Atlanta & maybe Seattle & Miami in need of a QB, but many are dumpster-fires in some form of rebuild.

Last edited:
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I’m confident that if we added 1 or 2 more good pieces on Defense and had a more capable DC we could easily be a top 10 Defense. That still leaves us room to add a couple of Offensive weapons or a good OL. We need Doubs or Watson pick up where they left off and bring it up a notch. Add a couple playmakers and we could be putting up 26-28 points per game
With what money

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not going to mince words...If 12 redid his contract to allow for more talent on offense and defense, he might get another ring. Or maybe itd just be another choke fest with a good lineup paper champion team. With the monstrous pink elephant contract in the room at 1265 all they can do is pick n choose who they want to resign and who goes. The drafts now become crucial.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not going to mince words...If 12 redid his contract to allow for more talent on offense and defense, he might get another ring. Or maybe itd just be another choke fest with a good lineup paper champion team.

Fun fact: Eli was a far better playoff QB than Rodgers.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We paid $50M this year and Rodgers took a big step backwards.

D

Deleted member 6794

I still don’t think it’s improbable to get a top #75 overall for Jordan. While the Rookie contract is expiring, he has had 3 years in a strong QB system. An acquiring team potentially doesn’t have to groom him for a season or two.. he’s already primed. At QB Jordan is not going to require anything more $$ wise than an average WR1 would be asking.
Personally if I’m a team that’s in need of a QB, but I’m not picking top 8 area this draft? I’d easily use a early 3rd Rounder for legitimate competition at QB.

In my opinion there are way too many unknows about Jordan Love to justify a team giving up a top 75 selection to acquire him.

I don't think the Packers letting any of these guys walk away in free agency would automatically mean they're in a rebuild next season.

Not going to mince words...If 12 redid his contract to allow for more talent on offense and defense, he might get another ring.

As I have asked several posters including you around here, please make a realistic suggestion on how to restructure Rodgers contract.

Fun fact: Eli was a far better playoff QB than Rodgers.

Playoff career passer rating:
Rodgers 100.1
Eli 87.4

Enough said.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion there are way too many unknows about Jordan Love to justify a team giving up a top 75 selection to acquire him.
I mostly agree with Capt here...I think the ONLY way a top 75 pick happens if it is a conditional...which unfortunately conditionals have to be 2024 not this year's draft.

In a world where trading Love becomes a reality Gute will be forced with the question...do I want less return but get it now (2023 draft) or am I willing to get more back but have to wait (2024 draft)?

What I mean by this is two fold...a team getting Love does get a player arguably more NFL ready than any rookie in the draft....BUT like a rookie essentially hasn't proven anything NFL season wise. By pushing "cost" of obtaining Love into 2024 some teams may elevate their amount they'll do....but most likely 2024 is where you get the highest return based on conditional picks.

So maybe Gute really feels he has to get a Day 2 pick back in a package for Love....and no GM is willing to do that for 2023...BUT

What if a team like Washington says...look we will give you our 5th rounder this year + a 4th in 2024 that can conditionally elevate up clear to a 1st rounder with perhaps these escalations:

Escalates to 3rd Round should Love start 9 games for the team in 2023.
Escalates to a 2nd Round should Washington win 10 games or more in 2023.
Escalates to a 1st Round should Love start a playoff game and Washington win that game in 2023.

The ONLY real way to get a return on Love at this point if you are Gute is to bet on you being right he is special. BUT...BUT....to do that you have to be willing to take a MASSIVE potential loss in return for him too.