Is football a team sport?

VAPAckerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Is football a team game?

porky88 said:
Baseball isn't much of a team sport either. You just need a dominate player or two.

AL/NL MVP:

2007 - Alex Rodriguez, Jimmy Rollins
2006 - Justin Morneau, Ryan Howard
2005 - Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols
2004 - Vladimir Guerrero, Barry Bonds
2003 - Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds
2002 - Miguel Tejada, Barry Bonds
2001 - Ichiro Suzuki, Barry Bonds
2000 - Jason Giambi, Jeff Kent
1999 - Ivan Rodriguez, Chipper Jones
1998 - Juan Gonzalez, Sammy Sosa
1997 - Ken Griffey, Jr., Larry Walker
1996 - Juan Gonzalez, Ken Caminiti
1995 - Mo Vaughn, Barry Larkin
1994 - Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell
1993 - Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds

How many of those guys won a World Series title?

Zero.
Your wrong here. The number is 4. Albert Pujols, Chipper jones, Barry larkin, Vladimir Guerrero all won world seris. But you are correct none won the world seris the year they won the mvp award And the only one on that list to win a world seris title after he won the mvp is Albert Pujols

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sound advice R.P.
Raider Pride said:
Unless of course, you are willing to take the wrath of a pure and passionate, deep and life long hate, from some here on this forum.

The only deep and life long statistic that concerns me is ... 1 ring, 11 years ago; 3-7 since. I assign no blame, I point no fingers. I am however, open to a different outcome.

Ergo..my point.

This is they typical attitude of the young, spoiled, "blame Favre first" crowd, trying to use any irrelevant statistic they can to make Favre look bad without understanding the context of the situation...

Never mind the fact that most of those playoff losses came during the widely discredited Sherman era....Never mind the fact that most of those Packer teams sucked (but that's sacriledge to some to admit that a hallowed Packer team may suck, even when they do), compared to say the Patriots or Colts...Never mind that Favre had 4 different coaches in his career when guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning had the luxury of consistency having only 1 or 2...Never mind the fact those teams during the Sherman era probably shouldn't have even made the playoffs, but DID because Favre was at the helm...Never mind the fact that if Holmgren stayed in GB...or if Favre was on the Patriots or Colts he'd have several SB rings by now...

Never mind all those facts. Facts don't matter when some "fan" can use statistics to distort and twist the truth to provide a Skip Bayless type analysis of Favre's career....

Facts don't matter....it's easier to just blame the quarterback out of ignorance to support your own agenda, whatever that may be..!
:thumbsup:

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackOne said:
Sound advice R.P.
Raider Pride said:
Unless of course, you are willing to take the wrath of a pure and passionate, deep and life long hate, from some here on this forum.

The only deep and life long statistic that concerns me is ... 1 ring, 11 years ago; 3-7 since. I assign no blame, I point no fingers. I am however, open to a different outcome.

Ergo..my point.

This is they typical attitude of the young, spoiled, "blame Favre first" crowd, trying to use any irrelevant statistic they can to make Favre look bad without understanding the context of the situation...

Never mind the fact that most of those playoff losses came during the widely discredited Sherman era....Never mind the fact that most of those Packer teams sucked (but that's sacriledge to some to admit that a hallowed Packer team may suck, even when they do), compared to say the Patriots or Colts...Never mind that Favre had 4 different coaches in his career when guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning had the luxury of consistency having only 1 or 2...Never mind the fact those teams during the Sherman era probably shouldn't have even made the playoffs, but DID because Favre was at the helm...Never mind the fact that if Holmgren stayed in GB...or if Favre was on the Patriots or Colts he'd have several SB rings by now...

Never mind all those facts. Facts don't matter when some "fan" can use statistics to distort and twist the truth to provide a Skip Bayless type analysis of Favre's career....

Facts don't matter....it's easier to just blame the quarterback out of ignorance to support your own agenda, whatever that may be..!
:thumbsup:

First off, I'm not the young crowd. Although I might not have been around when the dinosaurs still roamed such as yourself, I certainly am not the young Madden playing crowd you so consistently insult.

Secondly, what part of I assign no blame do you not understand? That is a team stat. One Superbowl, eleven years ago, and three and seven since. I want my TEAM to do a little better than that. If you, FuzzBrain, can't get that through your concussion riddled, former football playing, thick as Gilbert Brown skull, you have bigger problems to worry about. Like Alzheimers.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pack, it is only natural that the QB gets the most blame. I've seen it w/Eli....heck I was at the Viking game where he was beyond horrible( 4picks for TDs). When the NYG defense plays bad he still gets the hits because now he feels the pressure of having to come from behind and he makes even more mistakes.
He seems to be coming of age now especially since the Pats game. But people forget the NYG is one of only 3 teams(NE, Indy) that have made the playoffs the last 3 years and very few people around my parts give Eli any credit for it. And this is really the first year that the "D" has really stepped up.

Yeah.....Brett made those 2 bad ints(1 didnt hurt) but the line couldnt stop the NYG run defense and NYG mixed up the passing and ground game to an extent the GB couldnt adjust properly.....For once, and believe me I've seen them for years, for once NYG offense became unpredictable.
As a fan watching them thru the years I could tell what was coming from their O.

And Eli's completions were very accurately thrown.......It was designed to be caught or incomplete w/little chance for a pick

A lot of folks on this forum were ******* Al Harris, but I'm more willing to give Eli credit. He threw the ball EXACTLY where it had to be, so only you guys had a shot at it. Harris had his receivers covered pretty close but still couldn't stop them. Eli was on. The balls were going right over your receivers shoulders and right into their hands.

As a guy who used to play a lot of DB, there's only so much you can do when the QB is near perfect. Well, I guess you can tackle the WR as soon as he catches the ball. :(

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

SNAP said:
Pack, it is only natural that the QB gets the most blame. I've seen it w/Eli....heck I was at the Viking game where he was beyond horrible( 4picks for TDs). When the NYG defense plays bad he still gets the hits because now he feels the pressure of having to come from behind and he makes even more mistakes.
He seems to be coming of age now especially since the Pats game. But people forget the NYG is one of only 3 teams(NE, Indy) that have made the playoffs the last 3 years and very few people around my parts give Eli any credit for it. And this is really the first year that the "D" has really stepped up.

Yeah.....Brett made those 2 bad ints(1 didnt hurt) but the line couldnt stop the NYG run defense and NYG mixed up the passing and ground game to an extent the GB couldnt adjust properly.....For once, and believe me I've seen them for years, for once NYG offense became unpredictable.
As a fan watching them thru the years I could tell what was coming from their O.

And Eli's completions were very accurately thrown.......It was designed to be caught or incomplete w/little chance for a pick

A lot of folks on this forum were ******* Al Harris, but I'm more willing to give Eli credit. He threw the ball EXACTLY where it had to be, so only you guys had a shot at it. Harris had his receivers covered pretty close but still couldn't stop them. Eli was on. The balls were going right over your receivers shoulders and right into their hands.

As a guy who used to play a lot of DB, there's only so much you can do when the QB is near perfect. Well, I guess you can tackle the WR as soon as he catches the ball. :(
Plus, look at how many "circus" catches "Plexiglas" ( :lol: SNAP :lol: ) made in that game? If he would have dropped some of those, we would have won. But he made one handed, and other unreal catches the whole game.

Scythe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Scythe said:
porky88 said:
Baseball isn't much of a team sport either. You just need a dominate player or two.

AL/NL MVP:

2007 - Alex Rodriguez, Jimmy Rollins
2006 - Justin Morneau, Ryan Howard
2005 - Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols
2004 - Vladimir Guerrero, Barry Bonds
2003 - Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds
2002 - Miguel Tejada, Barry Bonds
2001 - Ichiro Suzuki, Barry Bonds
2000 - Jason Giambi, Jeff Kent
1999 - Ivan Rodriguez, Chipper Jones
1998 - Juan Gonzalez, Sammy Sosa
1997 - Ken Griffey, Jr., Larry Walker
1996 - Juan Gonzalez, Ken Caminiti
1995 - Mo Vaughn, Barry Larkin
1994 - Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell
1993 - Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds

How many of those guys won a World Series title?

Zero.
Your wrong here. The number is 4. Albert Pujols, Chipper jones, Barry larkin, Vladimir Guerrero all won world seris. But you are correct none won the world seris the year they won the mvp award And the only one on that list to win a world seris title after he won the mvp is Albert Pujols

Yeah, I didn't word that right. I know those guys won titles, I was just pointing out that none of those players won a title the year they won the mvp.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zombieslayer said:
SNAP said:

Plus, look at how many "circus" catches "Plexiglas" ( :lol: SNAP :lol: ) made in that game? If he would have dropped some of those, we would have won. But he made one handed, and other unreal catches the whole game.

LOL..........There's 2 s's in Plexiglass... :p

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oops......my bad!!!
Maybe one of the "S" fell off when i posted it!!! :lol: