Is football a team sport?

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ask this question because on this, and other Packer forums that I visit, there are some who put forth the argument that Favre should retire, is over-rated, is not a clutch QB when it counts, etc..etc..because his "record" in the playoffs is not that great--according to them. And these are Packer "fans" saying this...so I felt that I needed to address this question to the forum.

Is football a team sport?

The argument that Favre is not that good, or over-rated, goes like this. Favre's record is not that good in the playoffs, therfore he is an over-rated, not so good QB, and can not be compared to the elites in the game like Montana, Brady, etc.

My question to them is, what was John Elways record before he won those two SB's? Not very good. And he only won those SB's at the end of his career when he had a great team around him and he didn't have to do too much. Does that make him less of a great QB? Not in my book....

Favre brought teams to the playoffs that had no business being there, and when they lost against the better teams, it was no surprise.

My point is that people need to focus on the team as well as the QB when making these statements rather than just looking at stats and not taking the career of the individual (and the circumstances) into consideration....

It's not easy to win it all in the NFL.....just ask Dan Marino.

Is Dan Marino a lousy football player because he didn't win it all, or was he remarkable for doing incredible things with those subpar Dolphin teams..?

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Namath

Hall of Fame Induction: 1985

TDS

INT

YDS

RTG

COMP%

These are Joe Willie's stats.....Do you think he deserves to be in the HOF?

Based on his stats ....no........But he led the Jets to the most improbable victory in SB history.........He essentially caused the 2 leagues to merge.......He was the 1st 4000 yd passer (in 14 games) and he played on some very bad Jet teams which were usually behind in most of their games and he was forced to pass and the opposing teams D's knew what was coming............Brett's a great QB and even though fb is a team sport w/o a very good QB(Rex Grossman excluded) your team will not consistently win.
NYG's defenses in 1986 & 1990 when they won 2 SB's was outstanding but I doubt they win it all w/o Phil Simms......who in my mind, was the best QB NYG ever had but not as good as Brett.
And as all of you know the QB is front & center and he'll always get the blame..........like Romo and his Mexico trip. Namath used to be out late every nite and it never showed up on the field & he made the HOF.

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is football a team game?

I like Joe Willy.

He was "great" in my book.

What makes a great one?

I dont' know, but I know it when I see it!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Is football a team game?

I like Joe Willy.

What makes a great one?

im guessing this was sometime after you stopped cheering for the cowboys when Roger Staubach was QB. But just a little before began cheering for the 49ers and Joe Montana. This was all way before you became a Packers fan in 93

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nice try skeezix...

I was a Packer fan since 1967...but you're used to being wrong aren't you, so you haven't broken your streak...

Why do you like to try and tear the great ones down...does it make you feel more like a man, somehow?

Way to contribute to the forum..
:thumbsup:

Congratulations...
:roll:

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like Joe Willy.

What makes a great one?

Fuzz.........Namath was great...............I mean I watched him 8 times year + 8 games on radio(back then home games were blacked out) and it was a treat. The guy had a cannon and he when did that deep drop you knew he was going deep.
If he had 2 good knees.............who knows

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is football a team game?

football is the ultimate team sport. but not all positions are created equal. football is based on the concept of war, and they don't call the QB "field general" for no reason. QB is the decision maker, and the world revolves around him. Of course you can't get the job done without OL "in the trenches", but surely you know all this stuff.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Man you guys are old. ;)

I started watching NYG in 1963.....I was 6. It was Tittle & Gifford's next to last season. The Bears beat them in the CG that year......you guys beat us the year before and the year before that.........How old are you Zomb??

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is football a team game?

I personally think Namath was the most overrated player to ever play the game. Just because you play one good game doesn't mean your a Hall of Famer. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl as a starting QB. Should he make the Hall of Fame?

As for the topic itself. It's kind of a strange question.

Football is the most unified sport out there. If one player isn't doing well then your team could get beaten. Basketball all you need is one star to make the playoffs. See the L.A. Lakers.

Baseball isn't much of a team sport either. You just need a dominate player or two.

Football is different. It takes a team to win and a team to lose. Some players will elevate their team but without a certain player they might be useless. People complained here when Favre played poorly in 05 that it wasn't his fault. He had nobody around him. He had no good TEAMMATES. See what happen? Give him quality players like we have now and we're one game away from the Super Bowl.

If you blame Favre for the loss then why not McCarthy for calling the play? The real question is who put the Packers in the position they were in. The Packers did. GB put themselves in OT. Jarrett Bush could've recovered that fumble and one 25 yard completion, GB is in field goal range. Is it Bush's fault GB isn't going to the Super Bowl?

How about Ruvell Martin's drop pass? Anyone remember that one.

Heck even Favre's first INT could've spelled disaster for the Pack.

Just because one person says Favre should retire doesn't mean you should take it so fricken seriously. Most people understand that football is a team sport. It always has been and always will be. I'm sure when people call for Favre to call it quits it's more so out of frustration and not 100% being serious.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score

it is a team sport and people have to realize the game wasnt its best for the pack i think they all share in the loss,from o-line d-line special teams they did not play their best but i dont feel the giants played like everyone says either they should have more points if that were the case and it never would have went into over time but to blame just brett no

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is football a team game?

It's a team sport until you have a franchise player at the QB position. Then the QB is expected to be superhuman and win every game with his arm, until he throws an INT that costs the team the game. Then all the blame is his. At least that's what some people seem to think.

VAPAckerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GB put themselves in OT. Jarrett Bush could've recovered that fumble and one 25 yard completion, GB is in field goal range. Is it Bush's fault GB isn't going to the Super Bowl?

That play really pissed me off. All i could say after the giants recover the football was "Why didn't you fall on the ball you idiot" I was more upset at that play then when Favre threw the int in ot. :evil: :evil:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zombieslayer said:
Man you guys are old. ;)

I started watching NYG in 1963.....I was 6. It was Tittle & Gifford's next to last season. The Bears beat them in the CG that year......you guys beat us the year before and the year before that.........How old are you Zomb??

I remember reading about those games. Tittle was trash talking and saying that he was going to rename Green Bay "Tittletown." Turns out it backfired and the Giants didn't do too well in those games.

It was all in good humor though, so it's all good.

Scythe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Baseball isn't much of a team sport either. You just need a dominate player or two.

AL/NL MVP:

2007 - Alex Rodriguez, Jimmy Rollins
2006 - Justin Morneau, Ryan Howard
2005 - Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols
2004 - Vladimir Guerrero, Barry Bonds
2003 - Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds
2002 - Miguel Tejada, Barry Bonds
2001 - Ichiro Suzuki, Barry Bonds
2000 - Jason Giambi, Jeff Kent
1999 - Ivan Rodriguez, Chipper Jones
1998 - Juan Gonzalez, Sammy Sosa
1997 - Ken Griffey, Jr., Larry Walker
1996 - Juan Gonzalez, Ken Caminiti
1995 - Mo Vaughn, Barry Larkin
1994 - Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell
1993 - Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds

How many of those guys won a World Series title?

Zero.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

SNAP said:
Zombieslayer said:
Man you guys are old. ;)

I remember reading about those games. Tittle was trash talking and saying that he was going to rename Green Bay "Tittletown." Turns out it backfired and the Giants didn't do too well in those games.

It was all in good humor though, so it's all good.

Not if you were an NYG fan...........37-0 then 16-7.......Real funny......LOL.

The Army wasnt going wasnt going to give a furlow to Hornung for the '62 game so Vince called President Kennedy and JFK got him the furlow. Seems Vince & JFK had met before and JFK told Vince that if he ever needed anything to just call........so Vince just called.......Great story.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

it is a team sport and people have to realize the game wasnt its best for the pack i think they all share in the loss,from o-line d-line special teams they did not play their best but i dont feel the giants played like everyone says either they should have more points if that were the case and it never would have went into over time but to blame just brett no

Pack, it is only natural that the QB gets the most blame. I've seen it w/Eli....heck I was at the Viking game where he was beyond horrible( 4picks for TDs). When the NYG defense plays bad he still gets the hits because now he feels the pressure of having to come from behind and he makes even more mistakes.
He seems to be coming of age now especially since the Pats game. But people forget the NYG is one of only 3 teams(NE, Indy) that have made the playoffs the last 3 years and very few people around my parts give Eli any credit for it. And this is really the first year that the "D" has really stepped up.

Yeah.....Brett made those 2 bad ints(1 didnt hurt) but the line couldnt stop the NYG run defense and NYG mixed up the passing and ground game to an extent the GB couldnt adjust properly.....For once, and believe me I've seen them for years, for once NYG offense became unpredictable.
As a fan watching them thru the years I could tell what was coming from their O.

And Eli's completions were very accurately thrown.......It was designed to be caught or incomplete w/little chance for a pick

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is football a team game?

Never Question A Single Game Performance By Brett.

Never Compare Any Former QB To Brett.

Never Compare Any Present Q.B. To Brett.

Never Be A Young Back-Up To Brett.

Never Be A G.M. Who Drafts A Q.B. While Brett Is Playing.

Unless of course, you are willing to take the wrath of a pure and passionate, deep and life long hate, from some here on this forum.

Just my advice.

R.P.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sound advice R.P.
Raider Pride said:
Unless of course, you are willing to take the wrath of a pure and passionate, deep and life long hate, from some here on this forum.

The only deep and life long statistic that concerns me is ... 1 ring, 11 years ago; 3-7 since. I assign no blame, I point no fingers. I am however, open to a different outcome.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sound advice R.P.
Raider Pride said:

The only deep and life long statistic that concerns me is ... 1 ring, 11 years ago; 3-7 since. I assign no blame, I point no fingers. I am however, open to a different outcome.

Do not get me wrong. I love Brett. It is just some advice about this forum and how some will hate you, because they may have a tainted and "Him Or No One" love for the man.

It almost like talking to a "Stalker Of Jessica Simpson" who yells at you because you said: "Man... Racquel Welsh Was Hot."

I think Brett is the greatest Q.B. in the history of the game. Better than both Joe's... Better than Marino, Bradshaw, better than anyone.

HOWEVER.... What makes Brett "The Greatest In My Mind" is not the "Number Of Rings." It is what he has done with what he had to work with, and how he played the game.

It is his "Guts and Glory" attitude.

Forget The Hall Of Fame.... He will be there with all of the other Quarterbacks.

However.... If the N.F.L. had a "Medal Of Honor" the way we recognize special soldiers who gave their all. He would be the only Q.B. in the Hall Of Fame that earned "The Medal Of Honor." for valor in the field of battle.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats how i feel......Favre did the most with what he has had around him. Put another QB in there, and i doubt they would have the same results.
It's a team sport, and if the guys around you don't perform, you end up like we did last weekend.
There were many plays that COULD have made the outcome very different, and our guys didn't make those plays.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts