Is Ferguson's career over with the Packers??

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries end season for 3rd straight year

By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

Robert Ferguson's season — and possibly his career with the Green Bay Packers — is over.

The Packers on Monday placed the oft-injured wide receiver on season-ending injured reserve after determining his sprained right foot wouldn't heal in time for him to contribute this season.

It's the third straight year Ferguson hasn't been able to finish the season. He's missed 11 of the Packers' last 54 regular-season games because of injuries.

"It's frustrating because every year it just seems like he gets worn down playing special teams," said Ferguson's agent, Brian Overstreet.

Ferguson, 26, sustained what was diagnosed as a Lisfranc, or mid-foot, injury. Overstreet said Ferguson probably won't need surgery but is in significant pain and is using crutches.

Ferguson was injured Oct. 2 at Philadelphia when an Eagles player stepped on his foot during a kickoff late in the first half. He returned to the game but was used primarily as a kickoff returner before he aggravated the injury.

In six-plus NFL seasons, the 6-foot-1, 219-pound Ferguson hasn't become what the Packers envisioned when they picked him in the second round of the 2001 draft. His best season was 2003, when he played in 15 games and caught 38 passes for 520 yards and four touchdowns.

Ferguson couldn't hang onto a starting job. After starting 12 games in 2003, he found himself behind Donald Driver and Javon Walker in 2004. He started seven games opposite Driver after Walker got hurt in 2005, but lost his spot to rookie Greg Jennings in training camp this summer.

"There's something going on up there," Overstreet said. "I don't know what it is, but I can tell you this: When he got hurt, he had played three quarters and they had thrown him one ball. Koren Robinson came in, and they threw him eight balls in less than a quarter. So that, to me, speaks volumes.

"I don't know what it is. I know he's a hard worker, but it's definitely something. Maybe it's Brett (Favre). Who knows?"

Mike Sherman, the Packers' former coach and general manager, surprisingly gave Ferguson a $3.5 million signing bonus as part of a contract extension before the 2004 season.

Ferguson's base salary this season was $1.4 million and the contract contained no split salary, meaning he will be paid in full this season.

With base salaries of $1.8 million in 2006 and $2.2 million in 2007, Ferguson is a candidate to be released before next season.

Overstreet said Ferguson might be better off with another team.

"It's obvious to me that he's not in their plans," Overstreet said. "You hate to say it, but you've got to be realistic. The guy's played six years, and they've constantly brought in people and put them in front of him.

"He doesn't drop balls. He blocks. He plays special teams. Like he told me once, he said, 'Hey man, I just really don't deserve this. I work hard. I do what they ask me to do, and I can't explain what it is.' (Jennings) earned the starting job in preseason. He never even played in a game. I don't get it."

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The agent said: "(Jennings) earned the starting job in preseason. He never even played in a game. I don't get it."

Hmm.. well, everyone else "gets it," in fact we got it during the preseason: Jennings is a playmaker. Ferguson is a decent receiver but Jennings can bust a play wide open, everyone can see his talent and explosiveness. Sounds like Ferguson needs to move on. No hard feelings, he might be a better fit somewhere else.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"There's something going on up there," Overstreet said. "I don't know what it is, but I can tell you this: When he got hurt, he had played three quarters and they had thrown him one ball. Koren Robinson came in, and they threw him eight balls in less than a quarter. So that, to me, speaks volumes.

Yeah... it speaks volumes about how Koren Robinson makes plays and has already gained Favre's trust.

Bye, Fergy. I liked your work ethic and your attitude, but they aren't doing us any good when you're standing on the sidelines in civilian clothes.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey 4Packgirl - do you (or anyone else) have the pic of that Packer girl, by herself? That is hot, I'd like to post it in my fantasy football league. I love Favre too, but he's not as cute as she is ;)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fergie was really playing rather well until that terrible clothesline tackle he took a couple years ago. Since then he tends to back-off from passes and continually loses battles with the defender for the ball. That led to a number of interceptions last year.

He and his agent can spew all they want about how he's not performing well because he's not getting a chance. The fact remains that he's simply not the same play since that hit. It's unfortunate because he's got plenty of talent to be a good WR.

This is an odd article though because TT was rather clear that he wants Fergie back next year. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Should he get cut, I predict he'll sign with the Vikings since that's where so many of our players end up.

GO PACK GO!!!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey 4Packgirl - do you (or anyone else) have the pic of that Packer girl, by herself? That is hot, I'd like to post it in my fantasy football league. I love Favre too, but he's not as cute as she is ;)

sorry, scotty - i didn't create my siggy. you could try sending a PM to one of our members GP_1_Again. he created it for me & might be able to hook you up.

i'm hurt that you don't think it's a self-portrait, though! :( ;) :D

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry, scotty - i didn't create my siggy. you could try sending a PM to one of our members GP_1_Again. he created it for me & might be able to hook you up.

i'm hurt that you don't think it's a self-portrait, though! :( ;) :D

I was pretty sure it was you, but I didn't want to embarrass you or put you on the spot. :thumbsup:

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good luck Robert, i was a big fan of yours b/f the "hit", but after that darius hit, you just were never the same player.

i give fergie all the credit in the world for coming back, but now its time to part ways.

Good Luck #89

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sure sounds like Fergie's agent is trying to position his client for an exit, and that would be the best thing for everyone at this point. Too bad. I like Ferguson, and I agreed with the 2004 contract extension. At that time he looked like a player who was just beginning to hit his stride. But injuries (especially the clothesline) derailed his career.

I agree with his agent that Fergie is a hard worker. I've never heard otherwise, unless you count his slow start in training camp as a rookie. But obviously his agent is spewing a lot of crap when he tries to portray Ferguson as not getting a fair chance. There are few Packer players in recent years that have been given more opportunities than him.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers want to keep WR Robert Ferguson (foot) next season, provided he is healthy. Because of a high salary, and the fact he likely won't be starting, it is thought the team would negotiate an injury settlement. However, general manager Ted Thompson has refuted those reports, saying, "Absolutely not, no. We want Robert with us. We want him to be a Packer. This doesn't have anything to do with any history he's had in the past and any injury he's had. This is just a bad-luck injury. It's just part of the price you pay in the National Football League." Ferguson was placed on the Injured Reserve Monday, Oct. 23, ending his season.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats his agent talking huh? doesn't the agent talking make it sound worse then it is. He was a decent wide receiver without his Injury plaugue but like some said DD and Jennings are playmakers and in my opinion just naturally better.

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The agent is right ... it's brett favre not throwing to him. The reason is when brett does it gets dropped or worse strip our of Fergies hands. I would lose confidence to. The agent also has to realize Fergie has a hard time getting open and his route running is terrible. I was really hoping when all the talk a year ago or so about him being traded to philly was going to happen.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Fergy, dont know why I just do. He is not bad he can catch fairly well and be valuable at time but sometimes thats not good enough.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that TT has kept him this long considering his rep of getting rid of non-producers, i.e. Hunt & Davenport. I suppose we were just too short of WRs. I know it's not a good thing to have so many un-tried rookies at skill positions but I have a feeling these guys are going all-out to nail down a job. So they can be counted on to give it more effort than Fergy ever did. There's got to be some talent there just waiting to be turned loose.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson has been a huge bust for the Packers and never came close to being what Mike Sherman told us he could be. When you draft someone that high you expect that the guy will at least be a sevicable player, he hasn't evern been that. The guy is always injured, he can't get open and when he does, he can't catch the ball. He couldn't beat out a rookie and I think that speaks volumes. I hope they reaease him at the end of the year and move forward.

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of folks forget that Robert Ferguson sat his **** every week next to Jamal Reynolds on the inactive list his first year. He didn't catch on fast, and I remember a lot of the local media really riding his work ethic.

I think he was showing him promise, but in all truthfulness, whatever potential he was destined to reach was diminished by Donovan Darius. He has had ever-shrinking arms ever since then, and frankly, who can blame him? I'd probably do the same thing.

But as an end result, I think we have a receiver that has lost confidence, that shies away from both the ball in traffic and from accountability for his actions.

I've given him every chance and opportunity to redeem himself. But I think this is the end of the road. If we're willing to go into a game with Driver and three practice squad players, it sends a pretty clear message that Ferguson doesn't hold any trump cards with this particular administration.

Good luck in Houston, Fergie.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be careful not to blame Ferguson's lack of production on anything less than talent. I just think he was a guy who wasn't a player to start with. I don't think he would have been any different player if he had been chosen in the fifth round. Yeah he got hit in the head on that bad tackle, but even before that he was a guy who didn't make plays, who couldn't get seperation, and when he did all too often couldn't catch the ball. To me it's no loss at all he's done after this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts