Is Favre a top 10 QB???

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, I'm on a studying break. The King article got me thinking. Could Favre be the 14th (most sucessful) best QB? Who would I want to win one game for my team? Don't take age into account. Don't say, "I would rather have Cutler because he still has 12 good years even if he is worse this year than Favre is."

1. T. Brady
2. Peyton
3. Brees
4. Carson Palmer
5. McNabb
6. Bulger
7. Favre
8. Rivers

What do your lists look like?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your first 4.
I'd put Favre at #5.
I think McNabb is not all that special.
I don't think Bulger is all that either.
I'd put Rivers at #6.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best right now for me it:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew brees
4. Carson Palmer
5. Bulger
6. Favre
7. Brad Johnson
8. Mike Vick
9. Daunte Culpepper
10. Alex Smith

(ok kidding about the last 4)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im i missing somthing about palmer

i think hes a ok QB but not as high as every1 puts im in fantasy drafts and other ratings
I think alot has to do with the possibilities. He has some excellent WR's to throw to.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.) Just after foodstamp situation kurt warner
2.) Favre
3.) Manning
4.) Don Majikowski (to go break his ankle to unleash the favre legacy)
5.) Mcnabb
6.) doug flutie
7.) Byron leftwich (hes a tough S.O.B)
8.) Vince Young (made some magic happen last year)
9.) Rivers
10.) carson palmer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, I'm on a studying break. The King article got me thinking. Could Favre be the 14th (most sucessful) best QB? Who would I want to win one game for my team? Don't take age into account. Don't say, "I would rather have Cutler because he still has 12 good years even if he is worse this year than Favre is."

1. T. Brady
2. Peyton
3. Brees
4. Carson Palmer
5. McNabb
6. Bulger
7. Favre
8. Rivers

What do your lists look like?

Tom Brady is the best QB today, hands down. He was working with nothing last year, and still had a stellar year. Not trying to be a jerk, but Peyton Manning had two OL Pro Bowlers, and two WR Pro Bowlers. If you put Brady in that offense, the Patriots would have won the Super Bowl by 21+ points.

So I agree with you that Brady's #1 and Manning's #2, but a lot of folks have it the other way around.

Yes, Brees is #3. Here on though, it gets harder.

#4 - Probably Marc Bulger. he put up better numbers than #5 Carson Palmer, and both had two Pro Bowlers on offense.

#6 - Sorry Rivers, but you got the best player in the NFL on your team, and everyone's focused on LT. Nobody's even thinking of what you're going to do. Sure, you put up spectacular numbers, but you're surrounded by an All-Star cast. So I'm putting you at #7 and McNabb, who is consistently good and underrated every year at #6.

Now, the McNabb thing is confusing, because a lot of Eagles fans thought Garcia had better games. The other thing is a lot of criticism of McNabb is that T.O. made him good. Giving credit to McNabb, he does what it takes to get things done, including using his very good scrambling abillity.

#8 - I really hate doing this, but I'm going to have to put Hasselbeck ahead of Favre. Sorry friends. Favre's much, much better all-time, but the student is currently better than the teacher as of '07. I'm hoping in '07, Favre proves me wrong.

#10 - I don't care. I'd care if I played fantasy, which I don't.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you got the First Tier

1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning

2nd Tier

3. Carson Palmer
4. Drew Brees

3rd Tier

5. Matt Hasselbeck
6. Donovan McNabb
7. Marc Bulger
8. Brett Favre

Then after that you have a bunch of young QB's who are trying to emerge.

Phillip Rivers, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler would lead the way.

Just my two cents.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is #1... When he has a BADDDDDD day, he is #2.

It's that simple.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you guys been watching the same Brett Favre that the rest of the NFL has the last couple of years? Check out his passer rating over that time. It's brutal. He has a probowl WR and still cant get it done. He's 20th or lower.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'd say 6th-8th, but that's being generous. I'd rather have him as my QB than any other though. He's a lot of fun to watch. He's always having a great time like a kid.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it's quite simple. There are three great QB's in the league and then quite a few good one's. 1) Brady, 2) Payton, 3) Favre. All the rest have great potential, but they're all the same to me. When they win consistently I'll reconsider them. Those top three are special and will more than likely be in the Hall of Fame.

OP
OP
M

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you guys been watching the same Brett Favre that the rest of the NFL has the last couple of years? Check out his passer rating over that time. It's brutal. He has a probowl WR and still cant get it done. He's 20th or lower.

You are entitiled to you opinions (However absurd they may be...) But I would like for you to list the 20 QBs you think are better than Favre. And please don't put Kyle Orton or Brian Griese in the top 20. Passer rating is a flawed statistic. Is Driver a pro bowler without Favre?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just love posters who want to find fault with Brett Favre and look for reasons to explain away his success. The simple truth of the matter is this: The GB Packers haven't done squat since Ron Wolf retired to put a quality team behind Brett. With all due respect to Mike Sherman, who I believe bled Packer Green and Gold, he was an awful GM and blundered away the talent on this team. With all due respect to Ted Thompson, he's been in a position in which he can't win for anything he does. He's having to rebuild this once proud franchise because of the mistakes of others. It's debatable whether he's doing a good enough job, but there is no denying that Brett has not be surrounded by good talent for quite a few years.

If you don't think that lack of talent has affected his stats then you don't know much about football. Some people say he can no longer carry the team. That's baloney. He carries the team every Sunday. The problem now is if he doesn't have a spectacular game we struggle to compete. The man is in impeccable condition considering his age and number of years in the NFL. He has probably forgotten more than most of these top quarterbacks know. Tom Brady wins, Peyton Manning wins, but look at the coaching and talent on their teams. Now look at Brett Favre and the coaching he's had since Mike Holmgren left and look closely at who he has been throwing too and you can't have anything but complete admiration for what this man has accomplished. This isn't even debatable.

OP
OP
M

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just love posters who want to find fault with Brett Favre and look for reasons to explain away his success. The simple truth of the matter is this: The GB Packers haven't done squat since Ron Wolf retired to put a quality team behind Brett. With all due respect to Mike Sherman, who I believe bled Packer Green and Gold, he was an awful GM and blundered away the talent on this team. With all due respect to Ted Thompson, he's been in a position in which he can't win for anything he does. He's having to rebuild this once proud franchise because of the mistakes of others. It's debatable whether he's doing a good enough job, but there is no denying that Brett has not be surrounded by good talent for quite a few years.

If you don't think that lack of talent has affected his stats then you don't know much about football. Some people say he can no longer carry the team. That's baloney. He carries the team every Sunday. The problem now is if he doesn't have a spectacular game we struggle to compete. The man is in impeccable condition considering his age and number of years in the NFL. He has probably forgotten more than most of these top quarterbacks know. Tom Brady wins, Peyton Manning wins, but look at the coaching and talent on their teams. Now look at Brett Favre and the coaching he's had since Mike Holmgren left and look closely at who he has been throwing too and you can't have anything but complete admiration for what this man has accomplished. This isn't even debatable.

Good post.

The Packers have not had a good defense in a long time. I think our D is on the cusp of greatness, but I don't like to count so much on young players.

I think we all remember the feeling we had when teams would shred our pass defense last year. We made a lot of bad QBs look good. And what about that Seattle game? I got sick to my stomach watching then run the ball down our throats and our defense looking so inept.

Now that our defense is finally turning around, we have more questions on offense than ever. I completely agree that the talent and coaching around Favre has been some of the worst in the league since Holmgren left.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here is a "scouts" take on the QB's..

Click here to read more....

Brett Favre is taking a pounding and the regular season doesn’t even start for another five weeks. In three recent media polls, the future Hall of Famer was ranked no higher than the 14th best quarterback in the league. So how accurate are these polls? We decided to get our answer from a person who actually judges talent for a living. “Favre’s obviously not close to the player he was even four years ago, but there’s no way that he’s fallen that far,” said a regional scout for another team. “Personally, I would rank him at No. 8.”

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I find it really hard to rate Favre at this time. IMO, the talent around him has been so subpar the last couple of seasons I doubt if the best QB of all time could have done any better than him (hard to win the Indy 500 with a Volkswagon).

Conversely, I think you could take Brett Favre and put him on several other teams in the NFL and they instantly become contenders to make it to the Super Bowl.

Give him an OL, a running threat behind him and some WRs and a TE that other teams have to plan on defending and I'd say Brett's in the top five. But with what he has to play with, I'd agree that he's in the 10-15 range.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OK, I'll bite Trom.

The Packers have been 12-20 over the last two seasons with Brett Favre at QB. What do you think they would have been with Peyton Manning or Tom Brady at QB?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said this before, and I will say it again.

A gunslinger(favre) with a young\inexperienced\growing* line = not good things.

* The line, from reports, and seeing it myself on NFl Network(so far) suggest the line is improved.

You call the young team(the line, jennings, morency\jackson) a Volkswagon? Ok. I'll call it a classic car that just needs a little restoration. lol, and the restoration process is almost complete, baby!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said this before, and I will say it again.

A gunslinger(favre) with a young\inexperienced\growing* line = not good things.

* The line, from reports, and seeing it myself on NFl Network(so far) suggest the line is improved.

You call the young team(the line, jennings, morency\jackson) a Volkswagon? Ok. I'll call it a classic car that just needs a little restoration. lol, and the restoration process is almost complete, baby!

Yeah, I agree. I don't think Manning or Brady would have done any better either.

Members online

Latest posts